Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #691
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonius View Post
I'm still here and doing well. This is day 5 of week one for me. Got on the scales again this morning and still weight the same. But losing 8 pounds this week is not bad at all. Hopefully I can get through the weekend without much temptation.

I'm taking my wife out for dinner tonight and I'm having steak too. I might even have some wings for an appetizer. This will be the 4th night I've had steak this week but I never get tired of it. Have a great weekend!
You're doing great! Just keep eating those steaks if you are tempted and you'll do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
I think the book got edited by the publisher and left some things out that would have made things clearer-maybe a summary of important parts at the end of each chapter. The information is all there, but I sure have to dig for it.
I am just getting into week 3, hope I lose some more weight, still not back to sig after my crazy family reunion month/wedding etc. but closing in on it. Just a couple pounds to go, then hope to get into VFT.
Yes, I think much of the problem was with a well-meaning editor.

Drinking extra water will help with that party weight, too.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
It is a comfort to me to read all these posts because so many of us have the same struggles, frustrations and questions. Glad you are all here, otherwise some of us may have ended up eating the eggshells and entire cans of coconut milk. Yeeccchh!

Deb- I am managing to keep my calories around the same, averaging around 1200.
I agree that it is hard to get the protein number up though. I wasn't even using that
much of my pp in the shakes, but at 22 grams a scoop, it really added up. I am also
using fairly fatty meats, as suggested, and usually end up at only around 80 grams of
protein a day, or less some days.

I, for one, did not have a steak tonight. Actually bought some Morans "natural" ground beef because I was running too late to go to the store with the grass fed stuff. I hope it doesn't have anything bad in it. It was really high fat, but it was so darn good. I made a hamburger patty and smothered it with guacamole, a little bit of sauteed onion and wrapped it in lettuce. So good.
The package says it has 380 cal per 4 oz. I had 5 oz, but there were at least two TB of
fat left in the pan after it cooked. Does that mean I should subtract 200 in calories?
I don't really care about the calories, but I always wondered about that.

I am also still stuck at the same weight. I got down to 148 once in the last 10 days, but have been mostly at 149 since I started phase 2 and now I only have 3 days left of it.
I have not lost inches in my middle either this week.

My plan is to add back the foods allowed in phase 3 starting Tuesday when I am done with phase 2, however I am going to go back to eating more like JUDDD, which is alternate day dieting. THe plan is to eat high one day and low the next. Since I plan to use JUDDD for my maintenance plan (assuming I ever get to goal!), I think that shifting back to it is a good idea. I guess it won't be the 6 week cure exactly, but I am hoping it will work better for me.
I plan to do a final weigh and measure Tuesday a.m. and give an update as to my results. I am also planning on writing a review on Amazon. I have mixed feelings at this point.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:51 AM   #693
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: costa5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdstreet View Post
Losing at 32 is very different than losing at 25!
!
So true! I am 34. The last time I seriously tried to lose weight was 6 years ago (before my pregnancy) and the pounds just melted off right away. In fact, I remember always noticing that I would keep losing weight for a while even after I stopped dieting. Now I have to struggle for EACH POUND.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

I'm trying to get my calories at least 100 more than before. So far it seems to be working. I still feel good, leaner, like I'm losing. I'm anxious to see if I've lost anymore inches.

I'm getting tempted to take myself out for a steak dinner one of these days.
This may not be what you are referring to but it is one thing I have noticed about this diet and have heard a lot of people mention - you FEEL thinner and leaner, even if this is not reflected on the scale. In fact, I noticed that the moderator mentioned this over on the PP site thread. My dh sure LOOKS a heck of a lot thinner - more than the scale is showing even. I'm wondering, though, is this possible or is it a psychological effect? Is it possible to be losing VAT and not see that reflected on the scale?

As for me, I am siting here sipping CAFFEINATED coffee (woohoo!!) as I am giving blood this morning! Strangely enough, I lost almost an entire pound since yesterday and started my period this morning. When does THAT happen!? I am exactly a week late, though, which hopefully doesn't mean that my next one won't come when we are on our vacation next month. I am a little nervous about giving blood on an empty stomach after my first caffeine in a week.... maybe it won't be a big deal? Dh has never given blood so he's a little freaked out by the whole idea. I hope this will start a new, good habit for us.

GTG - have a great day everyone!
costa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #694
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
Quote:
The food on Weeks 3 & 4 is more filling. We get more fat. Your calories have to be very low eating those amounts. Were you adding anything to the shakes? You are getting good results from the sound of it though.
I went by the basic recipe... added flavoring and either HWC or coconut milk. My calories probably ARE pretty low, but I'm working on my last ten pounds. I'm "at goal" according to the charts, BMI, etc. But I like being at the lower end of the range because my bone structure is very small. At my goal wt (118-120) my calorie requirement to MAINTAIN is around 1260. So, for me, there are very fine lines between losing, maintaining and gaining. I don't have much wiggle room. I like to walk so that helps... it allows me to eat about 100 calories more for each hour I walk. Or, I can walk an hour a day and hopefully add an extra pound loss every 35 days or so. Most days I walk between 1 and 2.5 HOURS... one hour with my dogs, 1.5 hours with a friend. This is why I shake my head when the "experts" say exercise is the answer to weight loss. LOL
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #695
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DrunkenSailor
Hi everyone,

I'm terrible at posting regularly, but it's great to see how this plan is working for different people. Here's my progress report after the first two weeks:
--down 5 pounds, from 187 to 182
--(number on the scale went from 185.5 to 178.5)
--didn't measure, but pants are definitely looser.
--didn't track calories or anything else
--I lost 5 pounds fairly quickly, then hovered between 179.5-180.5. Today was 178.5, so maybe my body is ready to let go of a few more pounds soon.

Overall, I'm glad I tried this. I discovered that protein drinks can work for me, but am ready to eat more real food now. My compliance with the rules of this diet was not perfect, but probably as good as I've ever done over a two week period. I haven't been tempted to go off plan much at all. If anything, I've had a lack of interest in food generally. I only had two shakes a lot of days because I didn't feel hungry enough to bother with the third one in the evening. I think the only "cheats" I had were when I had a little coconut oil to hold me over for an unexpected late night at work, an ounce of almonds at lunch one day, and two days with two small on plan meals rather than one. I used an egg (or two) in my early morning shake, and used "light" coconut milk rather than full fat, since that's what I had on hand.

I tapered off caffeine slowly, so I didn't get any headaches, and decaf was ok for awhile. After 10 days though, I was just READY for real coffee again, so I went to half-caf. Caffeine does wonders for my morale on a school morning and I wasn't seeing the benefit of giving up a day longer.

On to two phase two! I had fried eggs and sausage this morning. I'm definitely going to miss my cheese, but I think I can do it.
DrunkenSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #696
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
~Week 4, Day 1~
I am only going to do about 3 or 4 meat days and then go back to the shake plan. The Eade's said if you were not at goal, going back after week 4 is a-ok. Because of schedules, etc..I am going back a bit early.

Are you guys reading Jimmy Moores blog? He eats cheese often on weeks 3-4. He said the Eade's advised this is not a hard and fast plan. So I guess that m,eans it is up to you to consider if cheese is an issue. Is one slice of cheese the deal breaker? I think thats what Jimmy is saying. Cheese is not an issue for him. Not sure if I interpit well.

Busy day but wanna say...this is not a perfect plan but I am enjoying the challenge. I would have liked to see some loss this last week. I just maintained.

Eating animal protein three times a day just does not work for me. I did Atkins 72, induction..same thing. No loss. I don't know what that means.

Talk soon.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
I have poked my head into the Jimmy Moore blog a few times. I don't know how well he has done so far, but he sure is playing fast and loose with the guidelines, it seems to me.
Every time I read his menu, I was thinkin' , "wha?"
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
I have poked my head into the Jimmy Moore blog a few times. I don't know how well he has done so far, but he sure is playing fast and loose with the guidelines, it seems to me.
I have only read his blog a few times over the last couple of years but I am often left scratching my head at some of the things he says/does. I do think his site is a good resource.
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #699
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
~Week 4, Day 1~
I am only going to do about 3 or 4 meat days and then go back to the shake plan. The Eade's said if you were not at goal, going back after week 4 is a-ok. Because of schedules, etc..I am going back a bit early.

Are you guys reading Jimmy Moores blog? He eats cheese often on weeks 3-4. He said the Eade's advised this is not a hard and fast plan. So I guess that m,eans it is up to you to consider if cheese is an issue. Is one slice of cheese the deal breaker? I think thats what Jimmy is saying. Cheese is not an issue for him. Not sure if I interpit well.

Busy day but wanna say...this is not a perfect plan but I am enjoying the challenge. I would have liked to see some loss this last week. I just maintained.

Eating animal protein three times a day just does not work for me. I did Atkins 72, induction..same thing. No loss. I don't know what that means.

Talk soon.
I am probably going back on shakes after my night out tonight.
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #700

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
I have only read his blog a few times over the last couple of years but I am often left scratching my head at some of the things he says/does. I do think his site is a good resource.
I agree.

He's one of those who also seemed to misinterpret things. I'm afraid a lot of people will see what he is doing & think that he is following the plan correctly.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #701

Quote:
~Week 4, Day 1~

Talk soon.
Honestly, I would not pay much attention to what JM says on his blog. He is not following the plan as written in the book. I haven't read his blog recently but if he is eating cheese often maybe he has a problem and is in denial...?

Do you do better with closer to 30-40g ECC?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #702

DrunkenSailor, sounds like the first two weeks went well for you. Good luck with phase 2!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #703
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Just4Me
Stats: Despairing/ Trusting/Content
WOE: knife+fork (and/or spoon)
Deb, you asked me earlier whether my carbs might be too low during the meat weeks, given the symptoms I'd described. You know, I think you're right. I know I feel the best when I have between 30-40 net carbs, even if those days alternate (by happenstance, I've never planned it) with days of 0-10 carbs. I looked back at my food journals and could see this.

Now to figure out what to do during Weeks 3&4 (though week 3 is almost over for me already )
Just4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #704
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MellaBella
Stats: WHAT!??/That's better/Now you're talkin'!
Hi Everyone,

Putting in a few hours at work today, then I'm off to see "We All Shine On", an exhibit of John Lennon's art work. Can't wait!

So I had a shake this morning, will have another before I leave work. After the exhibit my sister & her bf are meeting me for dinner & then a movie. I'm in the mood for, guess what??, steak! So I'll probably have that, or a burger (no bun) with some veggies.

Hopped on the scale this morning and am down 4.5 I'll be doing the shakes until Tuesday and will start weeks 3 & 4 on Wed., although I think I may still do a shake in the a.m. We just need to keep our net carbs at 20 weeks 3&4, correct??

Have a great weekend everyone.
MellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #705

I don't think JM blog is doing the Eades much favor. He is losing steady but then again, he is a guy.lol

Homestretch,
have fun tonight! I am all for doing more shakes. I actually enjoyed the creativity.

Deb,
I do way better with 30 carbs, less animal protein.

Hi Snaggle, Drunkn Sailor, Just4Me, Tril, and all the other awesome posters.

Off to swim lessons for the kid. You guys be good and have a great Sat!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #706

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellaBella View Post
Hi Everyone,

Putting in a few hours at work today, then I'm off to see "We All Shine On", an exhibit of John Lennon's art work. Can't wait!

So I had a shake this morning, will have another before I leave work. After the exhibit my sister & her bf are meeting me for dinner & then a movie. I'm in the mood for, guess what??, steak! So I'll probably have that, or a burger (no bun) with some veggies.

Hopped on the scale this morning and am down 4.5 I'll be doing the shakes until Tuesday and will start weeks 3 & 4 on Wed., although I think I may still do a shake in the a.m. We just need to keep our net carbs at 20 weeks 3&4, correct??

Have a great weekend everyone.
We all have steak on the brain! I love it.

And yes...keep those carbs to 20. Nice weight loss! Thats what I ended up with.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #707
Senior LCF Member

The carbs for weeks 3 and 4 say... "5 to 6 carbs per meal". (I don't think having all 15 to 18 at once would be a good idea, nor what he intended). He also said "no carbs with any snacks".

Also... remember, no cheese, no dairy.. Check out the recipes/menus for ideas. Basically, you get your 5 to 6 ng at each meal from vegetables and bits of fruit. I say bits because one of the menus said something like 3 to 4 grapes. LOL You're also allowed caffeine again... and 2 alcoholic drinks per week (1.5 oz spirits or 4 oz dry wine). You can have ONE drink on two separate days. Not two drinks together.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #708
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
W3D6

Can't believe I am on Day 6 of Week 3, unfortunatly I haven't been stella over the past couple of days (or for the duration :blush. Today however, my eating has been spot on.

I have learned a lot about myself over these past weeks, all good; with the help of this committed group I have realized I need to stop doing things half-arse when it comes to my weight loss struggle. Its hard for me because I am independent and have always done as I pleased, being very successful in everything I do, EXCEPT weightloss. My mind is constantly swirling around how ~ Then wise folks like Dr. A and the Eades give me the answer and I only half listen...so heres to moving forward and giving it my all this last week.
Thanks for listening

That being said I am very proud of myself for giving up caffeine when required and I have NOT had any cheese all week.
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #709
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I've just read all the posts and have the book. Will probably give this a try starting Monday. I'm a low carber so that will not be a problem and had to give up caffeine a long time ago.

Wish me luck! I've enjoyed getting to "know" all of you.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #710

I think, for me, at least, the key to eating enough is going to be eating 4 meals. I've had three today & will have a protein shake in a bit. But even then my protein level will still be under what it was in weeks 1 & 2. Oh well.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
I went by the basic recipe... added flavoring and either HWC or coconut milk. My calories probably ARE pretty low, but I'm working on my last ten pounds. I'm "at goal" according to the charts, BMI, etc. But I like being at the lower end of the range because my bone structure is very small. At my goal wt (118-120) my calorie requirement to MAINTAIN is around 1260. So, for me, there are very fine lines between losing, maintaining and gaining. I don't have much wiggle room. I like to walk so that helps... it allows me to eat about 100 calories more for each hour I walk. Or, I can walk an hour a day and hopefully add an extra pound loss every 35 days or so. Most days I walk between 1 and 2.5 HOURS... one hour with my dogs, 1.5 hours with a friend. This is why I shake my head when the "experts" say exercise is the answer to weight loss. LOL
You should be able to eat a lot more than that and lose much less maintain. Have you ever considered working to repair your metabolism?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #712

JM thinks LC ice cream is allowed Weeks 3 & 4?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #713

Quote:
JM thinks LC ice cream is allowed Weeks 3 & 4?
No, he doesn't. I read the entry for that day.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #714

Deb..I love your constant avatar change. Its fun

((hugs))
Old 10-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #715
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour Puss
Stats: 247/168/148 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/15/2005
Hi all, I'm plugging along and doing well on W2D4 and so far very happy with where I'm at. I've decided not to post any results yet as I don't want to jinx it!!!

Got one question though. Anyone doing this plan in the UK know where I can buy leucine in capsule form? I have had plenty of it in my shake mix but cannot find a capsule to take for Weeks 3 & 4. No way I'll be able to gag a powder form down as I have a very low threshold for that. If I can't find the leucine will that really impact my results? Anyone not adding leucine in Weeks 3 & 4 and having good results? Thanks for any info!
Glamour Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You should be able to eat a lot more than that and lose much less maintain. Have you ever considered working to repair your metabolism?
Right now, at about 130# I CAN eat a bit more than that and maintain... but at my goal wt of 118-120 (which is a size 2/4), my body just doesn't NEED that much. Especially as I've gotten older. Like I said, I have bird bones... and small muscles, too. I'm only 5'4". I'm simply NOT going to be able to eat as much as a 5'10" large boned woman who weighs 30# more than me. Even if we're both at our goal weights... my body will naturally require less food. I'm ok with that, so no... never considered trying to "repair my metabolism". I've always felt that it works fine as long as I eat low carb. I'm not resistant to weight loss. Heck, every diet I've ever tried has worked. It's maintenance I struggle with. What usually tips me over the edge (and into a 10# gain) are vacations. I travel with my mom 2 to 3 times a year and it's always a 10 - 12 day cruise (notorious for wt gain). I also travel with my dh on business trips (wine and dine, all expenses paid trips). Plus we do a lot of recreational camping type trips where I'm the only woman, so the food/booze and portions are geared to feeding large hungry exercising men. Every day life doesn't derail me, it's the FUN stuff. LOL

With the holidays (AND a cruise AND a business trip) coming up in the next few months I'm looking to get back to my "fighting weight". Unfortunately, I didn't take care of my wt gain from our last cruise before I went on 3 more recreational trips and ended up 20# over my goal. I'm about halfway back down. By Xmas I should be back to my goal, or pretty darn close.

Before anyone thinks "OMG... wish I had HER problem...", let me just say, my highest recorded weight is 225#. I stopped weighing after that and continued to gain... how high I don't know. I finally got my "stuff" together and the next time I dared to weigh myself it was 197#. I'm certainly NOT whining about what I weigh now. If I stayed here forever I'd be fine with it. I just like being smaller... for me.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #717
Senior LCF Member

"Anyone not adding leucine in Weeks 3 & 4 and having good results? "

Glamour... I never found leucine. I looked starting in week 2 and just didn't find it around here. I don't know if it impacted my results or not... no way to know that. If I had been able to find it, I would have used it. I would say keep looking and if you find it, use it. If you can't... don't sweat it and just do your best without it.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #718
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think, for me, at least, the key to eating enough is going to be eating 4 meals. I've had three today & will have a protein shake in a bit. But even then my protein level will still be under what it was in weeks 1 & 2. Oh well.
Deb... do you eat snacks?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #719

Quote:
Deb..I love your constant avatar change. Its fun

((hugs))
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy them. I have fun with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamour Puss View Post
Hi all, I'm plugging along and doing well on W2D4 and so far very happy with where I'm at. I've decided not to post any results yet as I don't want to jinx it!!!

Got one question though. Anyone doing this plan in the UK know where I can buy leucine in capsule form? I have had plenty of it in my shake mix but cannot find a capsule to take for Weeks 3 & 4. No way I'll be able to gag a powder form down as I have a very low threshold for that. If I can't find the leucine will that really impact my results? Anyone not adding leucine in Weeks 3 & 4 and having good results? Thanks for any info!
I wouldn't worry if you can't find it but you might want to just add a shake to weeks 3 & 4 to get some of the leucine.

Quote:
Right now, at about 130# I CAN eat a bit more than that and maintain... but at my goal wt of 118-120 (which is a size 2/4), my body just doesn't NEED that much. Especially as I've gotten older. Like I said, I have bird bones... and small muscles, too. I'm only 5'4". I'm simply NOT going to be able to eat as much as a 5'10" large boned woman who weighs 30# more than me. Even if we're both at our goal weights... my body will naturally require less food. I'm ok with that, so no... never considered trying to "repair my metabolism". I've always felt that it works fine as long as I eat low carb. I'm not resistant to weight loss. Heck, every diet I've ever tried has worked. It's maintenance I struggle with. What usually tips me over the edge (and into a 10# gain) are vacations. I travel with my mom 2 to 3 times a year and it's always a 10 - 12 day cruise (notorious for wt gain). I also travel with my dh on business trips (wine and dine, all expenses paid trips). Plus we do a lot of recreational camping type trips where I'm the only woman, so the food/booze and portions are geared to feeding large hungry exercising men. Every day life doesn't derail me, it's the FUN stuff. LOL

With the holidays (AND a cruise AND a business trip) coming up in the next few months I'm looking to get back to my "fighting weight". Unfortunately, I didn't take care of my wt gain from our last cruise before I went on 3 more recreational trips and ended up 20# over my goal. I'm about halfway back down. By Xmas I should be back to my goal, or pretty darn close.

Before anyone thinks "OMG... wish I had HER problem...", let me just say, my highest recorded weight is 225#. I stopped weighing after that and continued to gain... how high I don't know. I finally got my "stuff" together and the next time I dared to weigh myself it was 197#. I'm certainly NOT whining about what I weigh now. If I stayed here forever I'd be fine with it. I just like being smaller... for me.
At your height you should be able to eat a lot more than that at goal weight regardless of your frame size. Do you do weight training?

Quote:
Deb... do you eat snacks?
No, I really don't snack.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #720
Senior LCF Member

"No, I really don't snack."

If you snacked on protein/fat that would get your daily totals up.

"At your height you should be able to eat a lot more than that at goal weight regardless of your frame size. Do you do weight training?"

Maybe I "should" be able to... but experience tells me I can't. Probably a YMMV thing. I walk a lot... 3 to 5 miles most days of the week. I have sciatica which flares up when I lift so I haven't done it in a while. It put me flat on my back for 9 days in July. Just not ready to risk that again yet. Walking helps so that's what I do.