Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #661
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: whippetlady
Stats: 160 ( or more?) Goal is 140 5'5 small frame
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restarted May 2014
So wonderful to see so many of you are still hanging in there, and getting great results.

I am STUCK!! have not lost a single pound since I started week 3. I keep on trying though. I am a stubborn cuss.
whippetlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #662
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
Whippet... I gained in week three. Now I'm losing again in week 4. So hang in there. Maybe the same will happen for you. Stubbornness is a GOOD thing.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #663
Senior LCF Member

You've GOT to read this!

6-Week Cure blog idea II | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #664
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellaBella View Post
Thanks Deb.
Anytime. I was having only 2 shakes most days though & adding an egg & all the optional supps to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
OK, so I just won a copy of the book on Ebay so once it gets here and I have a chance to read it I will see how soon I am going to try the 6 Week Cure.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Me View Post
I too am having difficulty with the meals weeks 3&4. I was supposed to start week 3 this past Monday, but couldn't eat all the meat. My calories have been lower than in during the shakes week, as has my protein, in spite of my best efforts. So yesterday (Wed.) I decided until I can figure out how to get all the meat in, I'm sticking with shakes, upping the fat I add to them, and lowering the carbs in the meal/s I eat. So at least I don't reverse direction.

Eating enough food has been a real struggle for me. I started a fresh, strict Atkins induction this past 5/12, but was using PP guidelines for protein. I couldn't eat all the food. Not only that, it was difficult for me to get myself to eat at least every 5 or 6 hours as Atkins says. I was never hungry, and was often just slightly enough nauseated so as not to want to eat.

When I did the shakes week on this plan, after the adjustment in caffeine, I started to feel good and feel NORMAL----I'd feel hunger, which was almost revelatory: not the snacky peckishness, but the tummy rumbles "hey, it's time for more down here!" healthy hunger I remember from childhood. And the enormous amount of protein (~204g from shakes alone) started to make me feel good in many ways. Now, with trying to eat meat and veggies, I've gone back to feeling like crap---tired, not hungry, every so slightly nauseated, unmotivated, and kind of down.

Sigh. This turned into more than a reply to the "how to get all the protein in during Weeks 3/4", sorry. I'm just frustrated.

Is it so much to ask to lose excess fat while feeling nourished and happy?
I'm sorry you're not feeling so good on the plan now.

It is tough for me, too. If the book hadn't stated we're supposed to be eating more in weeks 3 & 4 I'd be happily eating a lot less. I'm only on day 5 of week 3 but I think my efforts to get the extra calories/protein are paying off. I feel like I am still losing inches.

Keeping a shake for one meal is helping me. I'm adding a lot of protein that way, too. I do think eating 4 meals would be a good idea, too, but haven't done that yet. Maybe adding a shake would be good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
"I've gone back to feeling like crap---tired, not hungry, every so slightly nauseated, unmotivated, and kind of down."

It sounds like carb withdrawal. Are you eating significantly less carb in week 3 than in weeks 1 and 2? Are you taking the supplements and getting enough water? Being dehydrated will also result in the symptoms you're having.

When you say "all that meat"... how much are you trying to eat? I just eat to my hunger. Usually that's no more than 2 eggs, a burger patty, a steak about the size of my palm OR 4 - 5 chicken wings.

-----------------------------

On a personal note, I'm down to 131.5. Off now to walk again with a friend!!

Dinner last night was fabulous, btw... dh came home late (gone all week) but he brought me sirloin strip steaks from a meat market. YUM! I had a salad and "to die for" steak. He's not a big eater, either, so we split one. I have a bit leftover for lunch today and another whole steak in the freezer for later. AND, I had 4 oz of a nice German Riesling. I haven't had wine in FOREVER. It was really good.
It sounds like you're eating less than in weeks 1 & 2. While the book does say to eat until satisfied it also makes it clear that both calories and protein should increase at this time. Those two things conflict. To do the first means eating fewer calories for most of us.

Congrats on the scale! The dinner sounds great! I wish someone would bring me a steak dinner!
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #666
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MellaBella
Stats: WHAT!??/That's better/Now you're talkin'!
Quote:

The whole egg, really?????
MellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa5 View Post
Hi everyone!

Starting in on week 2 here and Dh and I are both still losing. He's down 8 lbs since the beginning and I'm down over 3 lbs. Not too shabby for a week's work. I think it helps that I've been lifting this week. It is hard for me to lose weight without exercising, too. Or at least it goes so slowly that I lose motivation.

We went out to dinner last night and were able to have a nice dinner on plan. He had a steak and salad and I had some kind of chicken with a creamy sauce and a salad. Tonight we're having steak to make sure we have plenty of iron in our systems for giving blood on Saturday morning. I couldn't find anywhere near us that does the plasma/platelet separation thing (forget what its called) so we're just going to the local Red Cross. Must remember to bring a shake for after.

I am not tracking on this diet so I don't know my calories - only that they must be low cause I feel pretty hungry. My guess is they vary from 1100 to 1600 depending on dinner and whether I have a 3rd shake (2 scoops per shake). I eat 2 hard-boiled eggs a day with my first 2 shakes in lieu of putting them in the shake (you're probably not supposed to but they help me immensely). Since I am 5'9", active almost all day (2 preschoolers), and work out 3x week this puts me at a pretty big deficit.

Deb - my guess is that during the meat weeks I will still be in this calorie range. Maybe the Eades figure that after being somewhat starved during shake weeks people will naturally eat more calories. Or perhaps that's the pattern they've noticed in themselves. I'm not going to sweat it. Just going to be sure to get in protein and not skimp on the butter.
Congrats on your success so far!

I will warn you that calories are likely to go down quite a bit eating that way in Weeks 3 & 4. Cutting the shakes cuts the protein a lot, too. I'm not sure what they were thinking by suggesting calories will naturally go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
Click on the link I inserted on post # 630. This goes directly to the Eades 6WC forum, there is a question answered that gives a great explanation on calories needed

My take:

Although the book suggest we should be eating MORE calories, the Moderator explains that it is not the quantity of calories, but the quality... If you are getting your calories, from nutrient dense Proteins and Fats, you will need less calories to supply you body with all the nutrients you need, opposed to getting your calories from carbage.
I didn't find anything posted about calories to be particularly helpful in following this plan. The Eades state our protein/fat intake needs to go up in Weeks 3 & 4. If calories go down that simply is not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippetlady View Post
So wonderful to see so many of you are still hanging in there, and getting great results.

I am STUCK!! have not lost a single pound since I started week 3. I keep on trying though. I am a stubborn cuss.
Did your calories go down in week 3 or up? I don't judge progress/success by the scale but scale-wise, when my calories went down on day 1 of week 3 the scale went up. I increased calories/protein and the scale has gone down every day since.

Quote:
I saw that yesterday.

I figure I'll have completed the plan before that new blog is up.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #668

Quote:

The book did say the egg was only necessary if you're not usually eating lots of red meat. I originally added it because I was mostly eating chicken but kept it in because it helped with getting enough calories.

Actually, the book clearly suggests adding an egg to at least one shake per day, not only one.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #669
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
~Week 3, day 7~

hmmm..like Whippet I am at a stand still. I was hoping to see some magic this week. Hoping next week is better. However, next Saturday I am doing two more weeks of the shake plan. I am going off plan on Halloween ( a planned day with 15 bean soup and a pancake breakfast at the local high school. I have pancakes once a year and this is the day!) - After Halloween, I may do more of the shake plans because I have a birthday coming and aggressive fall goals. Time will tell howmy body responds to my wishes! ha

Moon..check in! Wonderin about you.

We have date night tomorrow and I am ordering steak and 1 glass of red wine. No bread! I will let the waiter know immediatly to not put it in front of me.

I gotta boogie..busy day.

Hi everyone!!!!!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
~Week 3, day 7~

hmmm..like Whippet I am at a stand still. I was hoping to see some magic this week. Hoping next week is better. However, next Saturday I am doing two more weeks of the shake plan. I am going off plan on Halloween ( a planned day with 15 bean soup and a pancake breakfast at the local high school. I have pancakes once a year and this is the day!) - After Halloween, I may do more of the shake plans because I have a birthday coming and aggressive fall goals. Time will tell howmy body responds to my wishes! ha

We have date night tomorrow and I am ordering steak and 1 glass of red wine. No bread! I will let the waiter know immediatly to not put it in front of me.

I gotta boogie..busy day.

Hi everyone!!!!!
Do you know if your protein/calories went up or down this week? I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

All these steak dinners! I want one! Enjoy!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #671

If you're going to add leucine or BCAAs I do suggest getting the powder form unless you get a good deal on capsules. I don't suggest adding it to a shake as I tried that & it made it taste really nasty. I'd always heard l-glutamine is the only good tasting amino acid but really wasn't hoping to experience the proof. I have found that adding the powder to water and drinking it up quickly is the best thing to do. It helps to think of food that actually tastes good while drinking it but it is over in just a few seconds.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #672
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: whippetlady
Stats: 160 ( or more?) Goal is 140 5'5 small frame
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restarted May 2014
Quote:
BWAHAHHA!!!
The entire egg, shell and all!!???

And a whole can of coconut milk PER SHAKE?? OMGosh!!

And we all thought we were confused by some of the book!
whippetlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippetlady View Post
BWAHAHHA!!!
The entire egg, shell and all!!???

And a whole can of coconut milk PER SHAKE?? OMGosh!!

And we all thought we were confused by some of the book!
I know.

It is amazing how even things that seem to be very clearly explained in the book can be misinterpreted.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #674
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MellaBella
Stats: WHAT!??/That's better/Now you're talkin'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
The book did say the egg was only necessary if you're not usually eating lots of red meat. I originally added it because I was mostly eating chicken but kept it in because it helped with getting enough calories.

Actually, the book clearly suggests adding an egg to at least one shake per day, not only one.
I've been adding them to both of my shakes, but I've been leaving the shell out
MellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #675

Quote:
I've been adding them to both of my shakes, but I've been leaving the shell out

I was wondering if the shell would be good fiber?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #676
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Wow! I just think the instructions in the book stink and it has nothing to do with the intelligence of the person.
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #677
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Still plugging along here. Tomorrow night I am going a bit off plan. I am throwing a birthday party for 3 of my closest girlfriends. I am having drinks and eats at my house and they we are going to a local bar where a band (that used to be together in high school, 22 years ago) is playing. I expect to see a ton of people that I have not seen in years. I hope that it does not effect me too much but I am partying! I only do this a couple of times a year and I hate that this one fell in the middle of this but life goes on. Have a good Friday!

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moonius
Stats: 380/308/200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2008
Quote:

We have date night tomorrow and I am ordering steak and 1 glass of red wine. No bread! I will let the waiter know immediately to not put it in front of me.
I'm still here and doing well. This is day 5 of week one for me. Got on the scales again this morning and still weight the same. But losing 8 pounds this week is not bad at all. Hopefully I can get through the weekend without much temptation.

I'm taking my wife out for dinner tonight and I'm having steak too. I might even have some wings for an appetizer. This will be the 4th night I've had steak this week but I never get tired of it. Have a great weekend!
moonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #679
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
I think the book got edited by the publisher and left some things out that would have made things clearer-maybe a summary of important parts at the end of each chapter. The information is all there, but I sure have to dig for it.
I am just getting into week 3, hope I lose some more weight, still not back to sig after my crazy family reunion month/wedding etc. but closing in on it. Just a couple pounds to go, then hope to get into VFT.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #680
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Birdstreet
Stats: 38"/36"/30"... Stomach Fat Only :(
WOE: 6 Week Cure
Start Date: October 1st, 2009
It is so great to read about other people's high school weights and how we were all crazy for thinking we were "overweight".
I am 5'5" and I weighed 117 in high school... I could fit into a size 1 jeans, but I always had a little round stomach. I gained most of my weight in my early 20's, when I was working long hours and eating one meal a day of mostly carbs.
Then I lost it on South Beach and gained it back and more when I was taking birth control (my body hates the stuff) about 3 years ago.
Now I am 30lbs lighter and still trying to lose another 15 lbs. Losing at 32 is very different than losing at 25!

Anyways I am coming to the end of week 1 (I am adding a few extra days for cheating a little last week). The hardest part has been the caffeine and alcohol. I really enjoy a gin and tonic or glass of red wine at least a few times a week. TOM has been visiting this week, but he is packing to leave now... finally!

I decided to weigh myself today and measure (even though I said I would wait until early next week). I am up 2 lbs... probably due to TOM
But I am down to 35" in the waist (about 1 1/4" loss)... I was not expecting that at all. I am trying to be happy, and think that 1" loss in 1 week is pretty good! I really think that adding the egg to my shakes is helping!

I still have another week to go before I start weeks 3&4, however I will have to keep the shakes for at least 1-2 meals. I can simply not eat enough protein, especially in the morning since I am not a breakfast person and I hate eggs! (exception... goat cheese and spinach quiche)

Have a great weekend everyone!!!
Birdstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #681
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Birdstreet
Stats: 38"/36"/30"... Stomach Fat Only :(
WOE: 6 Week Cure
Start Date: October 1st, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
Still plugging along here. Tomorrow night I am going a bit off plan. I am throwing a birthday party for 3 of my closest girlfriends. I am having drinks and eats at my house and they we are going to a local bar where a band (that used to be together in high school, 22 years ago) is playing. I expect to see a ton of people that I have not seen in years. I hope that it does not effect me too much but I am partying! I only do this a couple of times a year and I hate that this one fell in the middle of this but life goes on. Have a good Friday!
I know what its like...next week is my birthday and I decided to have a drink or two to celebrate with friends. I try to remember that it is a lifestyle change. Enjoy yourself, don't go overboard and get on track the next day
Birdstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #682
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It sounds like you're eating less than in weeks 1 & 2. While the book does say to eat until satisfied it also makes it clear that both calories and protein should increase at this time. Those two things conflict. To do the first means eating fewer calories for most of us.

Congrats on the scale! The dinner sounds great! I wish someone would bring me a steak dinner!
I don't know if I'm eating less or not. It doesn't feel like less (based on hunger and energy level comparisons). I was only making my shakes with 1 to 1.5 scoops of protein powder and most days I only had 2 shakes. I sometimes had an egg or two if I got hungry between shakes. My evening meal was pretty small, too... one burger patty and a side salad, for example. So, maybe I AM eating more calories/fat than I was the first two weeks.

And, I wish someone would bring YOU a steak dinner, too!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I know... I laughed about that one, too!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #684
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I was wondering if the shell would be good fiber?
Probably not... but it IS good calcium!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
did you read that after drinking all that coconut milk, very high in fat, that his blood test were better than when he started

yikes, putting the shell of an egg in your shake,, a little ridiculous, don't think i could drink it
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #686
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
did you read that after drinking all that coconut milk, very high in fat, that his blood test were better than when he started
Just what one would expect if you were a LC'er!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #687

Deb,
my calories are higher but not by much. I don't know if it is in my mind or what but drinking shakes vs eating foods..I just feel heavier with the foods.

Plugging along today just fine.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Hi Moon..thanks for checking in. We decided to actually stay at homeand cook the steak tomorrow night beacuse we are steak snobs. My DH cooks the best steak! lol

Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #688

Diamond Deb,

~threadjack!!~
I wanted to take a second and find out more about your up coming mission. We are planning a family trip to Missouri,fly to Missouri, get in the cousins car and head....somewhere. I am voting Louisiana...would love to see some of my old stomping grounds.

So what is the mission planning? I am excited you get to go..but curious the game plan.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #689

Quote:
Diamond Deb,

~threadjack!!~
I wanted to take a second and find out more about your up coming mission. We are planning a family trip to Missouri,fly to Missouri, get in the cousins car and head....somewhere. I am voting Louisiana...would love to see some of my old stomping grounds.

So what is the mission planning? I am excited you get to go..but curious the game plan.
Thanks for asking. We're not 100% sure yet, whatever is needed. There will be about 20 of us so we'll be divided into 2-3 groups so we can work at more than one location at a time. We can do drywall, painting, roofing, clear debris, whatever is needed. We also let people share their stories with us, pray with them, let them know we care.

Some in our group went on a trip to this area a few years ago & we plan to take the time to visit those people & see how they are doing now.

I am very excited about this. I've always been working before and unable to go.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #690

Quote:
I don't know if I'm eating less or not. It doesn't feel like less (based on hunger and energy level comparisons). I was only making my shakes with 1 to 1.5 scoops of protein powder and most days I only had 2 shakes. I sometimes had an egg or two if I got hungry between shakes. My evening meal was pretty small, too... one burger patty and a side salad, for example. So, maybe I AM eating more calories/fat than I was the first two weeks.

And, I wish someone would bring YOU a steak dinner, too!
The food on Weeks 3 & 4 is more filling. We get more fat. Your calories have to be very low eating those amounts. Were you adding anything to the shakes? You are getting good results from the sound of it though.

Quote:
Probably not... but it IS good calcium!

Quote:
Deb,
my calories are higher but not by much. I don't know if it is in my mind or what but drinking shakes vs eating foods..I just feel heavier with the foods.

Plugging along today just fine.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Hi Moon..thanks for checking in. We decided to actually stay at homeand cook the steak tomorrow night beacuse we are steak snobs. My DH cooks the best steak! lol

I'm trying to get my calories at least 100 more than before. So far it seems to be working. I still feel good, leaner, like I'm losing. I'm anxious to see if I've lost anymore inches.

I'm getting tempted to take myself out for a steak dinner one of these days.