Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Hi there! Natasha, that sounds like a success to me-way to go! I have been adding the raw egg to my morning shake and I find it definitely helps to keep my satisfied. Are you adding the heavy cream? I have added a little half-and-half to mine, plus a bit of coconut oil.

I am doing 'ok.' I have not managed to get in 3 shakes every day unfortunately. It's been more like 2 shakes, a meal and a snack of 'real food.' Oh and I'm still drinking *some* caffeine.

Still, I am also feeling a bit less bloated - despite more or less half-*ssing the plan. I need to get it together and dig in full-force!
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
Kiley I do add the HWC, mostly because I had to use up what I had on hand. I did switch today to using only coconut milk and I like it better.

I have still been having my one full- caffeinated coffee too, but this a.m. I drank the last cup and brewed a batch that is probably 1/8 caffeinated. I am really VERY surprised that I do not have the headache from Hell... but this is the last time I'll mention it, cause I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.

This article made me stop and think a bit, not sure I totally by in, but knowledge is power.

Caffiene Causing Diabetes -

Last edited by NGJ26; 09-16-2009 at 11:26 AM..
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tirjasdyn
Stats: 175/182/150
WOE: Duvan
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
I'm trying a few varients off his recipes.

I buy pre-package, nothing added frozen berry puree from the market and I used a little of that in my lunch shake today (in the amount of there Wild Berry Shake). Num!

I'm not going to be using my davinci's in this....TOO SWEET. I could barely handle it yesterday.

However the plain is great for the morning.

I had the confetti omelette for dinner. I used Shallots instead of Onions. Pretty good.
Tirjasdyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathieinut
Stats: restart 209.6/162/145
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restart (4th time around) 5/18/09
Well if you are going to do it I figure I will do it all the way.
I personally am not ready for this woe right now but depending on how people feel it works I can see it something I will do after losing about 20-25 more lbs.
Keep us updated on how things are going.
Cathieinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

This was just posted on LLLLC Blog:

I just read your update on your first day of The Cure, I'm doing it too. I wanted to let you know that we are only supposed to be taking ONE TABLESPOON a DAY of DAG oil, NOT 3 tablespoons a day!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
michele, is the berry puree allowed in a later phase or is it a varient in the first phase recipes?
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Jem51, I'm not Michele but some berries are allowed in the 1st phase

I've experimented with a couple of the shake recipes: The caramel cappucino (which will be my stand by lunch shake), I add an extra cup of decaf coffee and some ice for a huge iced cappucino- YUMMO. I also prepared the Orange Creamsicle, but haven't had it yet, it will be todays mid morning snack.

I am finding my Protein Powder is VERY SWEET- and it only gets sweetier with the D-Ribose... when I add something like the caramel davinci's I do not add the D-Ribose and I never add any additional sweetner.

I went to dinner last night and overindulged with cornbread & a cocktail... but all is good this is week zero....
Old 09-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
I am starting today. I will have to take my measurements and such. I am heading into the city today and can look for the Enova oil. I also do not have the luecine but I can look for that today also. I am excited!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #39
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I had a nice little chat with Jimmy today, Homestretch. He said he and has wife, Christine have lost a total of 13 pounds or so. They do have issues with hunger but are working through it.

He gave me the link to where to find the Enova oil (DAG oil) and they sell it at most grocery stores. I'm going to see if I can find the book at my bookstore and take a peak at it. I'll ask my trainer and nutritionist about it too.

Good Luck to you!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
For those interested Dr. Eades is going to be starting a separate blog for 6 Week Cure. He also said that out of all the things in the book the DAG oil is the least important. If you can't get it, don't want it, just leave it out. And yes, it is ONE tablespoon replacing ONE tablespoon of other fat in your day.
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 14days
WOE: INTERMITTENT FASTING
hi guys I've been using slimfast low carb shakes and they are delish!!!best tasting shakes around. I lost 19pounds last month tons of inches in my tummy!! I look smaller now than when I was 20pounds lighter!!!beware!!!stomach shrinking, will occur!!!can't eat the same amount of food as before!!!I only have 1shake a day with 2 turkey patties.....keeps me full all day till 6pm!!!this week I've added 2cups salad veggies ......and wow!!!just ordered 36cans from amazon!!!for 41$$freeshipping!!!it's thick relish!!!190calories,vitamins,9g fat!!!
14days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 14days
WOE: INTERMITTENT FASTING
sorry I haven't read the book!! I will ....I've never tried protein power!!!yet!!!
14days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Hello everyone... not new to LC (been lcing since '05) but I AM trying this new 6-week cure. I'm 49 and not happy about my new middle-aged middle. A friend and I are doing this together... today is day 1. Only 40 shakes to go. LOL I had a berry one for b'fast. Yuck. For lunch I just made one using 3/4 of a slightly flat can of black cherry diet soda (sweetened with splenda) and it was MUCH better. Looking forward to my "one meal" tonight. Not sure what it will be, but I'm looking forward to it.

If anyone tries a shake version that they love, please post it!

I need to finish reading the book...

Tril
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Just marking my spot....just delivered my book today.......hope to read it by this weekend. Hope all is well.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AlabamaDeb
Stats: 274.8/248.6/150
WOE: Low Carb/6-week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle
Start Date: March 15, 2009
Started the Cure

Hello all,

I've been lurking around the boards for the last 6 months while I tried out several low carb plans. I started the 6-week cure yesterday. So far so good. The only complaint I have, and it's not really a complaint, is the frequency of bathroom visits. I weighed this morning just to see what was happening. Lost 5 pounds since yesterday morning. I'm sure most or all of it was water, but that's okay. Hopefully, today the fat will start moving.

I've tried several flavorings in my shakes (banana this morning). Most have been pretty good. I added an egg, some nutmeg and cinnamon to a vanilla shake last night. Tasted a little like egg nog, just not as rich or thick. I'm going to try the dreamsicle, probably tonight. I've always loved the real ones and orange sherbet. Hopefully, the shake will taste close to the real thing.

Has anyone tried mixing different flavors of whey protein? I got some of the Protein 2Go blueberry, raspberry, and pomegranate flavors. They're supposed to be added to water, but I thought I'd add them to a vanilla shake as a replacement for one scoop. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Good luck everyone.

"The only way to cross the desert is one step at a time."
AlabamaDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Just a curious mind here

those of you who are a few days into this if you were already low carbing on a high fat plan do you have anything like Atkins induction flu making the switch from high fat to high protein? any insulin issues? blood sugar rebound issues?
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Hi!

Shakes: There is a list of shake varients in the first two weeks. A small amount of berries are allowed.

Switching from Aktins OWL to this: Nope no induction flu. I am a bit hungry though but I found that's best taken care of by having all three of my shakes before dinner.

I've lost 4 lbs this week. HOWEVER, I have PCOS and hypothyroidism so I lose slow when I do lose. Technically I'm not supposed to weigh myself till next week (it's my deal with me. I try not to weigh often) but I couldn't resist. 4 lbs in a week is a big loss for me.

I've never liked slimfast....do they make a whey version? There's too much sugar in them for me. :P

When you pick up Whey protein make sure it doesn't already have Leucine in it. Mine does and Eades says you don't have to add more if the protein you use has it.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #48
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
The Drs. Eades allow AS on this plan? That surprises me.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
I am finding my Protein Powder is VERY SWEET- and it only gets sweetier with the D-Ribose... when I add something like the caramel davinci's I do not add the D-Ribose and I never add any additional sweetner.

Yeah, my Whey powder is very sweet. I can't take it with danvincis. I drink it with the cream or with some berries...That seems good enough.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
The Drs. Eades allow AS on this plan? That surprises me.
What is AS?

Artifical sweetener?

Only in the form of splenda. But I don't use it...too sweet.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirjasdyn View Post
What is AS?

Artifical sweetener?

Only in the form of splenda. But I don't use it...too sweet.
Yes, artificial sweeteners. I'm surprised they did not suggest eliminating them.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Don't almost all whey protein powders have AS though? Jay Robb is the only one I know of that uses Stevia. (and I guess even that is still an AS?)
Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley2801 View Post
Don't almost all whey protein powders have AS though? Jay Robb is the only one I know of that uses Stevia. (and I guess even that is still an AS?)
Yes, most do.

I have a ton of old protein powder sitting around but I stopped using AS over a year ago and really don't want to start again even for this. I think if I do this plan I am going to get the Jay Robb (stevia is not an artificial sweetener) or order from a place where you can customer add your choice of sweetener.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
Here you go, straight from the source RE DAG and Leucine from his blog today:

RE DAG:
I’ve had so many questions about the Enova oil (the brand name for DAG) that I figured the most efficient means to deal with them is by a comment myself. I want to hit the high points here, but I plan a longer post in due course.

First, the Enova oil is a minor part of the program. It’s basically provides maybe a little painless boost in weight loss by replacing one oil you are already using with another. A number of studies have shown that replacing salad oils and other fats with an equal amount of DAG (the generic for Enova) brings about weight loss, especially of visceral fat. When MD and I were trying to crank up our own rate of loss within the 6 weeks we had to do it, we added a little Enova to our shakes and to our salads. Not a lot – maybe a tablespoon here or there. We don’t know if it helped our loss or not because we had no controls, but we wanted to do everything we could to hasten visceral fat riddance, so we used it. And we used it because the medical literature was clear that it worked and that it was harmless. If you’re worried about using it or if you’re having difficulty finding it, I wouldn’t stress over it. I don’t think it will make a huge difference. MD and I discussed whether we should put it in the book at all, but since we used it on our own regimen, we decided to go ahead and put it in. If you decide not to use it, you don’t need to substitute another oil for it. Olive oil or coconut oil or any of the other oils you might use won’t have the unique properties of DAG, so it’s pointless to substitute.

If you don’t live in the United States, I don’t know where you can find DAG oil or if it is even available in your country. (We’ve finished the editing for the UK version of the book and the DAG was removed from that edition because it isn’t available in the UK.) If you do live in the US, you can find it in many grocery stores. Here is a list from the Enova website.

Just so you’ll all know in case you’re wondering, MD and I don’t have any affiliation with Enova or the company that makes it. We don’t own the stock, we don’t profit in any way by our recommendation.

RE Leucine:
We’ve had a number of questions about the l-leucine. The medical literature says that from 8 to 12 grams of l-leucine are required to maintain lean body mass while in weight loss mode. When MD and I did the program ourselves, we made sure we got at least 12 grams per day. A number of people have written wondering if they should count the l-leucine that comes in their protein powders because a number of off the shelf powders do have a fair amount of l-leucine in them.

If you calculate that the l-leucine already in your protein powders adds up to 12 g per day, then you don’t need any additional. If not, you may need to supplement with some. To be on the conservative side, you can figure that you’re getting about 0.5 g of l-leucine in each ounce of meat you’re eating. If your protein powder is made of whey and there is no l-leucine listed on the label, you can figure that about 10 percent of the whey will be l-leucine. So, if you are using a 30 g scoop, you will be getting about 3 g there.

Just make sure that you’re getting at least 12 g per day from all sources.

34 pounds gone, 28.5 to go
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Yep I definitely prefer the JR brand-- it's pricey but worth it in my opinion! I was loving my vanilla shake this morning.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

I'm happy to Report...

Yesterday was my first full day CAFFEINE FREE !!!!! I can't believe it, I truly never thought I would be typing those words...and ya know what. it was not anywhere near as terrible as I thought it would be .

I'm very glad I chose to do the Week 0. It is giving me time to get through the book, kick caffeine (still in shock) and see what works for me shake wise. As soon as I use up my current Protein Powder (which is sweetened with Splenda - and WAAAAYYY to sweet)I am running out to by Jay Robb!

Tirjasdyn congrats on the 4lbs.... that is fabulous!

Quote:
I had a nice little chat with Jimmy today, Homestretch. He said he and has wife, Christine have lost a total of 13 pounds or so. They do have issues with hunger but are working through it.
This is interesting cause I am having a issue with hunger too.... hence my snack of 6 sausage links this a.m. (more on my blog)....

Nice to see more joining out great group... Welcome, AlabamaDeb, sweetpoison, Tril & 14days!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
I completed my first day yesterday... today I feel hungover! LOL A headache behind the eyes, slightly sick to my stomach , thirsty and VERY sleepy even though I slept 9.5 hours last night. I'm attributing this to my caffeine withdrawal. I'm a "rip the bandaid off" kinda gal... so I'm going cold turkey. I guess I'd rather suffer hard for three days than suffer a little for 7 days.

And... I couldn't resist and weighed myself this morning. Down 4#. Yes, in one day!

Oh...is anyone else extra hungry? I was looking forward to not being hungry but I have to say, yesterday I was STARVING. I had 3 shakes and a good meal (steak, salad, mushrooms/spinach). Dinner helped but WOW... I was hungry all day. Mid-morning I had two eggs. I don't have any pasteurized eggs so I lightly fried them in butter. I think I might need to get some eggs that I can put in the shakes.

Looking forward to weeks 3 and 4. I miss my food!!
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #58
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
From the book:

Your protein powder should be 18-22 grams per scoop (more is fine)

Under 130 lbs use one scoop

131-180 use two scoops

>181 use three scooops
I wonder...looks like for my weight I need 2 scoops. Could I use 1 scoop and have more shakes? In the end, I am having the same required protein.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hi Everyone-
This is my fourth day and I am liking it better each day. It might be because I have already lost 2.5 lbs which is amazing for me, but also because I am enjoying the shakes more than I did the first day. The second day I was out of the area on business and did not have any shakes with me, so I was really hungry and had a bad caffeine withdrawl headache by the end of the day. I am hoping that by today those will be gone. I am bound and determined to suffer through them and not take an aspirin, even though Dr. E says it is okay. So far it has not been tough with no wine, but the weekend will be much more difficult.

I am so glad this thread is here so we can discuss our issues with the plan, etc. I will say I was a bit disappointed in the lack of specific guidelines in the book. I don't really care for following the recipes all the time. I just wish he would have given some numbers for the macros. I am really used to, and comfortable with counting carbs, fat, protein, etc. and it is kind of lame that I am sort of guessing as to what those guidelines are.

Today I made a really good shake made with Jay Robb Vanilla powder, some dark cocoa powder, cold coffee, an egg, ice, and a little cream combined with a small amt. of calorie countdown milk.
He never mentions that stuff, but I figure that it only has 2 carbs in the amount I use, and I want to use it up. Any thoughts?
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathieinut
Stats: restart 209.6/162/145
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restart (4th time around) 5/18/09
Thanks for all of you who are our human Guinea pigs! LOL
And thanks for the DR E blog post as well.

Keep it up everyone I want you all to have little middles by Halloween!

Last edited by Cathieinut; 09-18-2009 at 09:07 AM..
Cathieinut is offline   Reply With Quote