Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #541
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by costa5 View Post
I am actually looking forward to donating blood. Where did you guys go? The local Red Cross?
I just Googled "donate blood" and my town.

Here there is a not-for-profit community blood center that supplies blood products to local hospitals and health care facilities. That is the first place that came up & I knew where it was so that is where I went.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
D.Deb- The leucine I bought was in a blend called BCAA+G. 3 scoops (baby scooper inside) is 6 grams. I have on my old lady reading glasses here and am trying to read the label, but it also looks like it has L-glutamine, L-isoleucine and L-valine in it. I got it at our local fabulous chain called Super Supplements.
I just realized it is lemonade flavored, which is why I never liked it in my chocolate shakes!!!
I think most Leucine is only available in the bcaa blends.
Thanks, I suspect I will end up getting a blend, which is fine. I can use all the aminos I can get. But I'll have to check on prices. GNC quoted $69.00 for theirs when I called and that is not gonna happen. I'm sure there are some more reasonably priced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Don't know if it is a cheat (cant figure out why it would be), but hubby insisted I make him some coconut bark last night. Let me tell you, it really hit the spot. I mixed coconut oil (4tb), 1 tb dark cocoa powder, 1 tb peanut butter and a little liquid (banana) splenda and some truvia. Spread on parchment and chilled.
I probably could have left out the peanut butter but it was so good.
Poor DH is so frustrated. He is up a lb. this week, so is only down 4 lbs. He wants to go back to JUDDD, but I keep pushing to stay the course. We both were so hopeful that phase 2 would be a whoosh-fest, but so far it is ZIPPO.

I do have a good pork recipe however-- I bought some good locally farmed pork, boneless country ribs (very meaty). I cut them up and tossed them in Goya adobo seasoning, and garlic salt. I browned them, then added a small can of green chiles (only 1 net carb for the whole can!) and some onion and cumin. Cooked a bit more, then added some rich chicken stock, green tobasco and cooked for 5 minutes. DEELISH. In phase 3, I will add a little mexican style hominy to it and top with sour cream.

Brown
Consider the bark extra fat. No real big deal. You guys really really need to learn not to worship the scale. It's not a good way to judge progress on a day to day basis. All it does is mess with one's self esteem and more often than not lead to feeling like, "why bother?"
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #543
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
I think someone here was asking for the other Eades forum discussion on the plan...here ya go.

The 6 Week Cure for the Middle-Age Middle - discuss! - Protein Power Forums

Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #544
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
Thanks for the tip-I am going to do that, just go back to week 2, and add the 2 days I lost, so I will finish on Friday, then on to phase 3&4. Will let you know how it works, the discussion forum is going to be interesting.
Thanks again, you all are inspiring.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #545
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Moonius-- good luck to you. You should be way better off than I was the first couple of days, because you were smart and weaned yourself off the caffeine first. I just was so anxious to start that I started the day I got my book in the mail from amazon.

Sorry also for the girl/female T.M.I.
It is good to have a guy around here. My husband is doing it too. We are almost done with week 3.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #546
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Just4Me
Stats: Despairing/ Trusting/Content
WOE: knife+fork (and/or spoon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I don't think it would be too much protein but if someone's weight had them at 2 or 3 scoops per shake & their protein powder is higher than the Eades state they might want to figure out if the total protein grams might fall in the correct range with one less scoop. It's more about the amount of protein than the number of scoops.
I agree. After I posted about my worries, I read a bunch of BawdyWench's posts on the PP forum about her 6WC experiences --- she was one of the testers, and so also had a direct line of communication for Q&A w/ the Eadeses. One of the items she posted about was protein per scoop at 18-22g, and mine is 22, so that falls w/in their parameters.

However, since I (apparently) must have something to worry about, now I'm worried about how I'm going to eat enough meat to meet or exceed that amount! lol sigh

Quote:
Thanks, I suspect I will end up getting a blend, which is fine. I can use all the aminos I can get. But I'll have to check on prices. GNC quoted $69.00 for theirs when I called and that is not gonna happen. I'm sure there are some more reasonably priced.
I use a bulk leucine (powder form) made by Source Naturals---just under $12 for 3 oz. It takes 1 tsp to make ~2500 mg.

Just4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Me View Post
I agree. After I posted about my worries, I read a bunch of BawdyWench's posts on the PP forum about her 6WC experiences --- she was one of the testers, and so also had a direct line of communication for Q&A w/ the Eadeses. One of the items she posted about was protein per scoop at 18-22g, and mine is 22, so that falls w/in their parameters.

However, since I (apparently) must have something to worry about, now I'm worried about how I'm going to eat enough meat to meet or exceed that amount! lol sigh

I use a bulk leucine (powder form) made by Source Naturals---just under $12 for 3 oz. It takes 1 tsp to make ~2500 mg.
lol @ having to have something to worry about!

During weeks 3 & 4 you just need to eat as much protein at each meal as needed to satisfy you. At least 3-4 ounces of protein per meal. There are only 3 meals. That's not a huge amount.

Getting enough fat is going to be my challenge. I mean I just bought buffalo instead of grassfed beef because I wanted more protein for my money. I am a lean meat kind of gal. I'm most likely going to have to add more fat than normal.

I am going to have to devote some time tomorrow to finding a source for Leucine. If I can find a blend locally that is inexpensive I'll do that rather than order since I start week 3 tomorrow. At this point ordering would probably take too long.

The mission trip is a go! I am excited!!

I'll be cutting Week 4 two days short since we leave at dark-thirty on the 18th. That was to be my last day of week 4 but I'll figure my results the 17th.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #548

I keep seeing where some people are dropping their protein low because they are afraid they are getting too much. That might keep the scale moving but I think that is going off plan, at least in weeks 1 & 2.

I really wish the Drs. Eades had put in specific numbers to go by. As it is I believe that some of his comments are being taken out of context regarding calories/carbs. I see people obsessing over keeping calories to a certain number, carbs at this or that number. A lot of it seems inaccurate to me as I've plugged in numbers a few times to check; there will be more than a small difference in calories depending on one's size.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #549
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I think you're right, Deb. It seems to me one of the overarching themes of Weeks 1&2 is to provide high quality and copious nutrition at the cellular level---hence the saturated fat, high protein, and plentiful vitamins and minerals.

With weeks 3&4, it's supposed to be somewhat of a metabolic reset---where there first 2 weeks provided some degree of caloric deprivation, that is supposed to be remedied in weeks 3&4.

On one of BawdyWench's posts discussing her correspondence w/ Eades, basically weeks 1&2 are lower cal, with around 30 ECC, whereas weeks 3&4 are higher call, with lower ECC at around 20.

At the same time, she also recounted her exchanges with them about the amounts of protein. They told her not to go under 100g, no matter what. Which implies that some reduction in protein grams may be all right.

For anyone who hasn't read it, read the book, and read the blog and following responses to the many comments. The book doesn't lay out hard and fast numbers because they're different for everyone---bigger bodies need more than littler bodies; bigger appetites need more than littler appetites. Two sliding scales, with the unifying theme being supplying rich nutrients on the cellular level.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #550

Quote:
I think you're right, Deb. It seems to me one of the overarching themes of Weeks 1&2 is to provide high quality and copious nutrition at the cellular level---hence the saturated fat, high protein, and plentiful vitamins and minerals.

With weeks 3&4, it's supposed to be somewhat of a metabolic reset---where there first 2 weeks provided some degree of caloric deprivation, that is supposed to be remedied in weeks 3&4.

On one of BawdyWench's posts discussing her correspondence w/ Eades, basically weeks 1&2 are lower cal, with around 30 ECC, whereas weeks 3&4 are higher call, with lower ECC at around 20.

At the same time, she also recounted her exchanges with them about the amounts of protein. They told her not to go under 100g, no matter what. Which implies that some reduction in protein grams may be all right.

For anyone who hasn't read it, read the book, and read the blog and following responses to the many comments. The book doesn't lay out hard and fast numbers because they're different for everyone---bigger bodies need more than littler bodies; bigger appetites need more than littler appetites. Two sliding scales, with the unifying theme being supplying rich nutrients on the cellular level.
Yes, I've read all that on the other thread but that advice was for her only. There are people in three different weight ranges and the requirements would likely be different for each. It's not cookie cutter.

She also mentioned calories and from their answer everyone, regardless of weight was thinking they had to meet that as a maximum amount. That can't be. Even just doing the shakes there can be a few hundred calories variation between the different levels.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #551
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha
Stats: Early Pregnancy & Diabetes
WOE: Low Carb Nutrition
Start Date: Due date: November 2011
As I keep reading, I keep thinking to myself. WOW, I have to start NOW! These are so simple changes to my life that could give the life back into my life. I see it as plainly as black and white.

For instance. Increasing my melatonin NATURALLY! Or even adding supplements until I get my ZZzZzz's... OMGZ if my doctor would have said that to me instead, "here have some Ambien". I may have thought twice. I do recall my doctor mentioning it. But when I told him after a couple of days the effectiveness wares off... He shrugged it off. I didn't realize that even if you weren't feeling the effects right away, it could be effective cure over time! WOW!

Just that one small peice of advice for a mother who's lost her zeal for sleep, (because of 2 years of sleep depo and worry) is like GOLD, no DIAMONDS and GOLD, and a shopping SPREE!

I love u Drs. Eades!

*Sips her night-time whey chocolate drink, guzzles a meletonin, and hops into bed*

Last edited by Kisha; 10-05-2009 at 01:24 AM..
Kisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #552
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
W3D1

Well I wrapped up weeks one and two with no significant loss in weight or inches... I originally had a 3 lbs loss in week one, but two of those magically reappreared . I maintained my 1/2" loss off of my waist

I am glad to see the links posted to the EADES forum and blog for the 6 week cure, I can't wait to jump over there and read others experiences for the first weeks. The crazy thing is, I look smaller... my abdominal fat is definately deflated .. well I know phase one was a liver cleanse and I look forward to great things in weeks 3 & 4.

It was nice having Bacon & Eggs for breakfast!
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #553
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moonius
Stats: 380/308/200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
moonius,
way to go on your pre-prep of caffeine free. I am drinking only 8 ounces of real coffee a day otherwise, I decided not to go back to Diet Cokes w/caffeine. I had a Dr. Pepper and I was flying! No thanks. lol
What protein powder did you pick up and did you get the HWC and some flavorings?
Last night I was at a Christian concert for our radio station and drank a diet soda without even thinking about the caffeine content until it was all gone! That was the first caffeine I had in 3 days. Suffice it to say, it gave me weird dreams and I had trouble sleeping.

Today is day one of my 6 week challenge. No caffeine this morning just tea made from ginseng concentrate. I use the Body Fortress Super Advanced whey protein. The vanilla flavor is the lowest in carbs. I usually have HWC and DaVinci syrups on hand anyway. Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

moonius

The moonius files

Poetry in Motion

Perseverance + patience = progress
moonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #554
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MellaBella
Stats: WHAT!??/That's better/Now you're talkin'!
Checking in! The weekend was tough & I had some slips, but back in the saddle today!
MellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #555
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
Am back on track, this will be day 11 of phase I, skipped over my 2 off days. This is interesting stuff, my abd measurements are definitely going down, but the scale wt, not so much.
Will be interesting what phase II brings. I think this is going to be so individual that we really can't compare progress, just enjoy each other's success.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chrysalis
Stats: 315/294/140 5'4" 45 yrs old
Good Morning all -

Today I'll be starting Week 2. Week 1 ended with an 8.5 pound loss. Not sure about inches because I haven't measured. That's on my to-do list for today! I know how important measuring can be vs. what shows on the scale. I just keep getting distracted! Going to work/school full time will do that to you.
chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #557
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
~Day 3, week 3~
I did very well yesterday. Felt way better but then again I only had one serving of the crock pot roast. My other foods were a shake, tri tip, veggies.

I just ate 2 eggs cooked in bacon grease and 4 pieces of bacon. lol - delish!!

Moon,
Those dang habits! Its so easy to goof when we are used to reaching for a Diet Coke. Which I love but I am so not wanting any extra caffiene right now. It does mess with my sleep also. Ok, just hang tough on this. There are hungry moments!! Did you get any diet pop made of Splenda like the Hanson brand? It helps for the hungrioes for me at least.

Kisha,
you crack me up. Glad you are getting your zzzzzz's! I slept pretty good for my first two weeks cuz I got off the caffiene. Its motivating fo rme to keep off it except my diluted morning 8 oz of coffee.

NGJ26,
Hang in there! Work these 2 weeks..hard...as close to perfect as possible. Make it count! These are the magic weeks I think.

Mellabella,
today is a new day..work it girl.

Nitenurse,
just remember..this is an inch loss plan, not scale weight plan. At least that is what I got from it! lol

chrysalis,
OH MY GOODNESS!! Measure! Measure Now! You must! lol - Because inthe end, you may lose so much you will kick yourself for not really knowing. Your body loved week 1!! Wowza.

We are off on a field trip so I best go.

hi to all who I missed and come in later.

PS: (Moon..dont read.lol) TOM in full force and I am only up a pound. Not bad, not bad. So happy to see the loss I lossed, holding! I love it. I am also in a pair of jeans that were too snug...size 6 levi and they feel great.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moonius
Stats: 380/308/200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
Moon,
Those dang habits! Its so easy to goof when we are used to reaching for a Diet Coke. Which I love but I am so not wanting any extra caffeine right now. It does mess with my sleep also. Ok, just hang tough on this. There are hungry moments!! Did you get any diet pop made of Splenda like the Hanson brand? It helps for the hungries for me at least.
Stevie Renee, I need to make a trip to Wally World to get more whey protein and I'll look for some caffeine free sodas sweetened with splenda. I noticed the Eades suggest using them in the Power up protein shakes too.
moonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #559
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Birdstreet
Stats: 38"/36"/30"... Stomach Fat Only :(
WOE: 6 Week Cure
Start Date: October 1st, 2009
Weekend is over...

Well the weekend is over and it was a little rough. Our friends had us over for dinner and made amazing homemade chili. So I think I will add an extra day onto this two week phase and end on the 17th.

I am on day 4 of this plan (skipping a day from this weekend). TOM is visiting for the next 4-5 days, so I refuse to get on the scale until he leaves. I will weigh and measure myself at the end of the two weeks.

I will start the meat phase on the 18th of the month...however I am having a problem!

My 33rd birthday is October 19th (we are celebrating on October 18th) and I know it is going to be rough.

We are having some friends over for dinner. My husband is making Italian sausage sandwiches... which is fine I can eat and enjoy the sausage, onions and peppers without the bread or provolone cheese

The issue is going to be dessert and drinking. I know in the second phase we can have a glass of wine, but only 4oz, that is rough for me. I don't drink often... maybe 1x a week, but when I do I want 2-3 glasses of wine or 2-3 beers. That is not the worse part!

The worse part is dessert. If it was just birthday cake, I would have no problems because I don't even really like cake all that much. But its going to be my favorite dessert in the whole world... Barefoot Contessa's Frozen Key Lime Pie... it is "AMAZING"! I could seriously eat the whole thing by myself and frankly I never say that about dessert.

Well I am going to keep pressing on until that day and maybe if I see significant results from the diet (inches lost), I won't even want it

Have a great day everyone!
Birdstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #560
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

End of Phase I (Weeks 1&2) results:

Down ~4 lbs overall (Days 1-3, down 4#; end of week 1, up 1# during TOM, today grand total = down the original 4#)

Went from size 9 to size 8 jeans (this is the big shocker to me)

Down 2 inches in bra strap, and 1/2 a cup size (Praise the Lord! my back is already happier! lol)

I haven't measured, and won't---from past experience, I never keep up with the measurements, so am not bothering this time. I'm weighing once every week or 2 (more frequent weighing drives me crazy ), and using clothes to judge changes.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #561
Major LCF Poster!

Birdstreet- From my quickie calculations, it looks like the day of your birthday celebration will be right in the middle of the meat phase. Unfortunately, because that phase involves pretty intense ketosis, a carby dinner could really throw the whole thing out of whack. Don't know what to tell you, other than decide what is right for you. I purposely started this plan during a period when I would have the fewest social obligations possible. I have still had to go to a couple of things and just not partake. It was tough, but I am really pushing myself to stick to this.
You could just keep your piece of the key lime pie frozen for another week. Phase 3 does not allow sugar per se, but if it was made with splenda , it could probably squeak in, sorta-kinda within the carb allowances that are given. Even if it didn't, I don't think in phase 3 it would make nearly the impact.
Hate to be a party pooper, but phase 2 is kind of the key to the fat loss in this whole deal and I would feel bad if one night set back all your efforts.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #562
Major LCF Poster!

Just4me-- you and I had the same exact numbers for phase I, including the second week 1 lb gain because of the darned TOM.
If I hold true to my usual pattern, I will drop that lb and 2 more after I am done. (2 more days to go)

The bummer is that at my peri-menopausal age, they come every 24 days, so like a third of my life is pms/tom. Not to mention the night sweats!
Just want to be done with it already!!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #563

Week 3 Day 1...OMGosh, COOKED eggs for breakfast! lol...that made my day right there.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #564

Phase I/Weeks 1 & 2 Results:

Bust: -1"
Braline: -1.25"
Natural Waist: -1.5"
Navel: -2"
Hips: -3"
Waist to Hip Ratio: -.1

Both L-SAD & S-SAD decreased but I think the margin for error on those measurements is extremely high.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #565

Quote:

Down ~4 lbs overall (Days 1-3, down 4#; end of week 1, up 1# during TOM, today grand total = down the original 4#)

Down 2 inches in bra strap, and 1/2 a cup size (Praise the Lord! my back is already happier! lol)

I haven't measured, and won't---from past experience, I never keep up with the measurements, so am not bothering this time. I'm weighing once every week or 2 (more frequent weighing drives me crazy ), and using clothes to judge changes.
Congrats on your obvious shrinking! Sounds like it's working.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #566

Sarah/Birdstreet, why not postpone the carby food part of celebrating until after you've completed Week 4? The treats will be just as good then and you'll be able to enjoy them more. Make it reason to celebrate twice. You can still have your celebration on your birthday but without the dessert or have something for your guests that won't tempt you.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
Well I wrapped up weeks one and two with no significant loss in weight or inches... I originally had a 3 lbs loss in week one, but two of those magically reappreared . I maintained my 1/2" loss off of my waist

I am glad to see the links posted to the EADES forum and blog for the 6 week cure, I can't wait to jump over there and read others experiences for the first weeks. The crazy thing is, I look smaller... my abdominal fat is definately deflated .. well I know phase one was a liver cleanse and I look forward to great things in weeks 3 & 4.

It was nice having Bacon & Eggs for breakfast!
It sounds like your body composition is changing. You'll very likely see more positive changes in the next two week.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #568
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha
Stats: Early Pregnancy & Diabetes
WOE: Low Carb Nutrition
Start Date: Due date: November 2011
Quote:

I'm with you! The scale makes me crazy! Sounds like you are doing fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Kisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #569
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: costa5
Quote:
Phase I/Weeks 1 & 2 Results:

Bust: -1"
Braline: -1.25"
Natural Waist: -1.5"
Navel: -2"
Hips: -3"
Waist to Hip Ratio: -.1

Both L-SAD & S-SAD decreased but I think the margin for error on those measurements is extremely high.
Fantastic! Very inspiring!
costa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa5 View Post
Fantastic! Very inspiring!
Thanks. I am happy. My body feels different. That is good too.

I hope the losses continue in these next two weeks.

We can only have green onion in weeks 3 & 4??? You can take away my coffee, alcohol, dairy...fine, but do NOT mess with my onion intake!

lol... I do mean that.