Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #361
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalis View Post
Hello! I would like to come play with you guys.

I've been doing low-carb for years with varying degrees of success (it wasn't the way of eating, it was me). The best success I had was where I lost 90-ish pounds (315-223) through generic low carb eating, doing Pilates, going to a support group. Then I started a 2 year college program, stopped the Pilates and support group, spent the entire 2 years living with incredible stress and gained back over 1/2 of what I'd lost. I just could never seem to find my mojo again.

I finally graduated and want to get rid of what I put back on and also continue the weight loss from there.

I want to use the 6WC for a jump off point - I have way more to lose than is possible in just 6 weeks although I believe I read in the book that after week 4, if you still have more to lose, you can alternate between meat weeks and shake weeks.

I've read through the thread, it's nice to meet you all!

I had my meal this morning: 2 scrambled eggs, 1/2 grapefruit, 3 pcs bacon and ginger tea.

I have Designer Whey protein - they are cagey on the can as to how much leucine is in the mix but I did find a website that sells the stuff (interestingly, not DW's own website) where the ingredients were broken down and it said that there is 12330 mg of leucine in the mix. That's enough that I don't have to add any extra, right?

Congrats on graduating! I do agree that it should be easier to concentrate on your nutrition now that you're not in school. I think this plan will be great for getting solidly on tracck. It helps that choices are limited, too.

I think the designer whey sounds like it has enough of the leucine that you won't need to supplement in weeks 1 & 2. Weeks 3 & 4 will be different though. I'm going to have to buy leucine for next week.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda in Phx View Post
My lands all of you have did FANTASTIC! I agree that the second week can only bring good things. My total loss for week 1 is 8.2 pounds. YEA

I wish that I could give blood, but unfortunately I am anemic.

How many of you have actually given up caffeine are going to start consuming it again. I know myself that I felt so bad coming off that I seriously doubt that I will use it daily.
Congrats on the Week 1 success!

I'm not sure I'll be able to donate either. I really doubt it.

I love coffee but I'm not an addict. I easily skip days when I am too lazy to make it and when I do drink it I generally have a large cup, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more. Cutting it was not a problem for me. I will be adding it back in but probably not until the end of week 4. I prefer half & half in my coffee though I can also take it without. Just seems like it might be better to do w/o.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr82bthin View Post
I'm on day 2 of the first week. I found myself hungry a few times yesterday but was only putting 2 scoops of the Protein Powder in my shakes. I'm using 3 scoops today as the book says I should (my weight being above 180) and I'm not hungry at all.

I am really enjoying myself with the different types of shakes. Diet Rite makes a tangerine soda and a raspberry soda that are delicious with vanilla powder.

One big thing I learned!! Make sure you leave the soda out until it's flat and the carbonation is gone. I just about blew the top off my blender!!!

Even thought this is day 2 I have a lot more energy than I normally do this morning.

I love reading about every one's success and I have learned a lot from you all. Thanks for the hot chocolate and root beer float ideas.

The egg added to the shakes also helps me I think. I've only got enough eggs to add to one shake per day this week so it will be interesting to see if that affects my hunger level.

The sodas added to the shakes sound really good. I don't drink sodas of any kind so I'm not trying those but I do like the vanilla with added orange extract & one with added raspberries.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr82bthin View Post
I'm on day 2 of the first week. I found myself hungry a few times yesterday but was only putting 2 scoops of the Protein Powder in my shakes. I'm using 3 scoops today as the book says I should (my weight being above 180) and I'm not hungry at all.

I am really enjoying myself with the different types of shakes. Diet Rite makes a tangerine soda and a raspberry soda that are delicious with vanilla powder.

One big thing I learned!! Make sure you leave the soda out until it's flat and the carbonation is gone. I just about blew the top off my blender!!!

Even thought this is day 2 I have a lot more energy than I normally do this morning.

I love reading about every one's success and I have learned a lot from you all. Thanks for the hot chocolate and root beer float ideas.

could you share the rootbeer float receipe and when you use the raspberry and tangerine do you use just the protein powder with hwc

thanks
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
"If hwc is all fat (according to the label), then why would it still be considered dairy in phase 2? I mean, what is the difference to my body between hwc and butter? Why can have one but not the other."

Well... it's not ALL fat, that's why when you do LC you need to count the carbs. There's 6g in one cup, btw. But on this 6W plan it's not about dairy being "bad"... here is what they say on pages 133-134:

"... you should avoid dairy products during Weeks 3 & 4. One of the pitfalls of attempts at continued weight loss, especially for women, is excessive consumption of cheese and cream. During this two-week interval in the plan you want to keep calories up but carbs quite low. Even though there aren't many carbs in cheese or cream--just a gram or two per serving--if the number of servings rises, the total can disrupt the steady loss of fat from the fat stores.

Additionally, these foods are dense in calories and easy to eat to excess. Over the years we've had many patients whose weight loss stalled when they ate more than tiny amounts of dairy products--for reasons that we cannot readily explain in metabolic or biochemical terms. We've heard it from enough people, though, that we believe it. For most people, although 1 tablespoon of cream in a cup of coffee probably won't do much, a tablespoon in each of 6 to 8 cups of coffee throughout the day does make an impact. ..."

So, it's not so much that it's bad carb-wise... they feel it's bad weight loss-wise. especially for women. That's good enough for me to go without cheese and cream for two weeks. Heck, if I can go without coffee and wine for two weeks (and ice cream for two YEARS), I can do this. It also appears that I will be going without nuts for these two weeks. DARN IT ALL.
I do find it interesting that they don't think people tend to overdo on butter consumption. I've heard of people really going to town so to speak with that...

I fit into the likely to overdo on cream & cheese myself so I think it is good for me not to have those right now. I am not having cheese in weeks 1 & 2 either. It is really no big deal.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 133, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
I think butter is more self-limiting. If you took a stick of butter and a chunk of cheddar the same size and tried to eat them like that, I bet most people would finish the cheese before they finished the butter. Butter goes with other foods... cheese can be eaten alone (besides in meals).

Anyway... it's what the Eades have seen in their practice. Nothing proven.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #367

Oh, I almost forgot (now I have had food in my stomach again! ) to let you know how my long day was yesterday. My first time getting in all 3 shakes & 1 meal (I've been fitting two shakes in) and I could only put an egg in the first shake. I was hungry and was up quite a while after the last shake. I went to bed hungry but I did manage--with a lot of effort--to ignore the voice in my head that was attempting to get me to grab some cheese from the fridge.

lol...

OK, I couldn't resist & took a few measurements. My navel, natural waist and hip measurements are all down after the first week.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
I think butter is more self-limiting. If you took a stick of butter and a chunk of cheddar the same size and tried to eat them like that, I bet most people would finish the cheese before they finished the butter. Butter goes with other foods... cheese can be eaten alone (besides in meals).

Anyway... it's what the Eades have seen in their practice. Nothing proven.
I agree that, for most people, butter is more self-limiting. I've seen more than a few people post about eating butter all by itself though, and it large amounts. I thought of that when the question came up.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Back from giving blood. Not too bad at all. Couldn't do the plasma part because it would have taken way longer and I didn't have that much time. I am getting a little dizzy when I get up, but I just plan to be mellow anyway today.

Welcome Chrysalis! Good luck with your first day. I always have done my meal at night, but that bacon and eggs sounds good. I am so excited that I can have that all I want in phase 2.

Tried ground buffalo last night for a burger smothered in green chiles and onion (a little cheese too). Very tasty.
I have been getting organic grass fed ground beef and I like it too. Our new Whole Foods opens on Oct. 14th, ONE block from my business (1 mile from home too), so I am excited about that. I have already warned DH that what we spend in additional grocery dollars will be worth it AND, we will just have to cut back on something else. We also have a great co-op in town too, so I feel lucky. I just need to get out of the habit of buying the cheapie sale meats, etc. at Albertsons/Kroger.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Back from giving blood. Not too bad at all. Couldn't do the plasma part because it would have taken way longer and I didn't have that much time. I am getting a little dizzy when I get up, but I just plan to be mellow anyway today.

Welcome Chrysalis! Good luck with your first day. I always have done my meal at night, but that bacon and eggs sounds good. I am so excited that I can have that all I want in phase 2.

Tried ground buffalo last night for a burger smothered in green chiles and onion (a little cheese too). Very tasty.
I have been getting organic grass fed ground beef and I like it too. Our new Whole Foods opens on Oct. 14th, ONE block from my business (1 mile from home too), so I am excited about that. I have already warned DH that what we spend in additional grocery dollars will be worth it AND, we will just have to cut back on something else. We also have a great co-op in town too, so I feel lucky. I just need to get out of the habit of buying the cheapie sale meats, etc. at Albertsons/Kroger.
Glad to hear it went well giving blood!

Make sure to drink plenty of water today.

Lucky you to be getting Whole Foods! Nothing like that here unfortunately. I get my grassfed beef & buffalo at a health food market. Usually just buffalo because it is less expensive than the beef for some reason. I'm hoping to be able to get some beef from a local farm late November or early December but that is very iffy right now as I'm not working & money keeps getting tighter. I get my chicken from the local farm, too. It's all very good.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #371

I had an average of 24g ECC the first week.

Not sure on calories or protein/fat grams because my chicken & beef are pasture fed/grassfed & have no nutrition labels.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 09-28-2009 at 02:12 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

I need to research where to get farm eggs, cream and cheese.
I love fresh eggs. I try and usually buy the free range ones, but then I go and buy
the 18 pack on sale at Kroger for only $1.50 like I did yesterday in a frenzy of cheap-ness.
I was a little over-zealous about embarking on the meat weeks I guess.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #373

Quote:
I love fresh eggs. I try and usually buy the free range ones, but then I go and buy
the 18 pack on sale at Kroger for only $1.50 like I did yesterday in a frenzy of cheap-ness.
I was a little over-zealous about embarking on the meat weeks I guess.
I've had to do that, too. The closest farm is about half an houir away. They're small and I can get chicken about every 3 months, but beef once a year. There are a couple other places that are about 3 hours away.

I have only one source that I can trust for pasture fed eggs. That is the farmers market & the eggs are from a local farm. They just went up in price to $4. The farm where I buy chickens charges $6. The ones in the stores are all grain fed from what I have found even if they are cage free. I don't want the grains. That means they are not pastured, too.

BTW, I had a dream about protein powder a couple nights ago... That speaks volumes.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #374

Quote:
This site might help you locate a place close to you. Eat Wild

Most people seem to have to drive 2-3 hours to get grassfed/pasture-fed. If you have farmers markets nearby talk to the vendors. That may give you leads, too. There is a movement all across the county... You'll find that once you get going. It's very cool. I'm working on getting more involved but I am very good at procrastination, too.

It sure takes more effort eating this way but it is worth it health wise. I am still shocked by the reduction in my daily pain levels when I finally stopped eating regular beef/chicken from stores. Definitely made an unshakable believer out of me.

There's a lot of good info in the Organic/Natural forum.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks D.D.- I just added that site to my favorites. I also emailed a friend about
whether they would be interested in going in on 1/2 cow, or 1/4 cow, etc. I need to
go check out the organic forum.
One of my brothers and his wife have formed a mini co-op to get all their dairy and eggs and are really loving it. I may look into doing it that way.
With just me and my DH, we don't need much. I also do not have much freezer space.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #376

Quote:
Thanks D.D.- I just added that site to my favorites. I also emailed a friend about
whether they would be interested in going in on 1/2 cow, or 1/4 cow, etc. I need to
go check out the organic forum.
One of my brothers and his wife have formed a mini co-op to get all their dairy and eggs and are really loving it. I may look into doing it that way.
With just me and my DH, we don't need much. I also do not have much freezer space.
Space a problem for me, too. It's just me here. I've currently got 3 chickens in the freezer of my fridge and chickens do not stack nicely, let me tell you! They slide all over and there is not really room for anything else. Beef should stack better but I wish I had a small freezer.

I'm looking into CSA's and there is one I should be able to get free produce from if I volunteer. It's 30 minutes or more away so I haven't gotten started there yet. The co-ops I have checked out all ended up just being places to get organic processed foods and cleaning stuff. I don't need it for that. I'm doing OK with the natural cleaning stuff.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #377
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KrisJ
Stats: 280+/210/115
WOE: LC my way-Carb/Fat/Calorie Cycling
Start Date: Restart 7/5/09
Thread Watching

Sounds like folks are getting into a good stride. Did anyone who is having success start this plan directly from a Very Low Carb plan?

I'm on day 86 of LC...keeping my carbs VERY LOW....lost 1 size a few weeks ago, but my stomach roll is still the same size. Wondering if this will work. I think my waist is smaller...but that darned fat roll under my belly button just won't budge.

Am curious if I would see any results greater than the VLC.

Even if none of you have done this...I'm keeping tabs on you and am cheering you on!! Wish you all well!
Pant Size Start - 26 how embarrassing!!
KrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJ View Post
Sounds like folks are getting into a good stride. Did anyone who is having success start this plan directly from a Very Low Carb plan?

I'm on day 86 of LC...keeping my carbs VERY LOW....lost 1 size a few weeks ago, but my stomach roll is still the same size. Wondering if this will work. I think my waist is smaller...but that darned fat roll under my belly button just won't budge.

Even if none of you have done this...I'm keeping tabs on you and am cheering you on!! Wish you all well!
I've never done VLC but this new plan by the Drs. Eades is not a VLC plan. Not sure if you thought it was or not? There is a lot more to it than just cutting carbs. The first two weeks are a liver detox & that helps to get rid of the fat around the middle.

I'd suggest checking out the book at the library or a bookstore. It may be just what you need.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
OOHH i like the sound of this... I might even consider adding a packet of True Lime...
I am drinking my last shake of the day, a strawberry mojito (strawberry flavored protein powder, no added berries) and I was thinking I really need to get some True Lime. Then I recalled I got a sample of that a while back....no clue what I did with that or the coupon that came with it but I'm motivated to look for it now!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #380
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzukigirl
Stats: 200/125/130
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: 1/12/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJ View Post

I've been on LC and VLC (EFGT, Groves) for years but I have a stubborn roll ABOVE my belly button - anyone know if this is a different type of fat or just distributed differently. I'm enjoying the 6W so far as I love to drink - shakes that is - rather than eat. I am day 6 of week 1 following the plan to the letter and haven't seen any progress at all yet - maybe it will happen all at once next week (I hope!).

Last edited by suzukigirl; 09-29-2009 at 01:02 AM..
suzukigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #381
Senior LCF Member

"I've never done VLC but this new plan by the Drs. Eades is not a VLC plan."

DD, Weeks 3 & 4 are VLC. You can have 5 to 6 net grams of carb at each meal... none for snacks. I consider 15 - 18 ng a day very low as it's even less than Atkins Induction.

Suzuki... I listened to a podcast yesterday of the Eades talking about this plan (an HOUR long). They talked about the first two weeks and the purpose behind the shakes. They said the shakes had two purposes... one is preserve muscle mass and the other is to reduce abdominal fat. They also addressed the purpose of the first two weeks... they said it's to remove fat from the liver... to promote the best weight loss possible. Also, the first two weeks were designed to supply good quality protein, not too many carbs and the appropriate amount of fat. So, do the first two weeks.... "defat" your liver and then see what the second phase can do for your "rib roll". That's what I call it. Are you in perimenopause (or menopause)? That's when my rib roll started to grow.

Day 1 of my meat weeks went well yesterday. I had 3 eggs, chicken salad (leftover chicken mixed w/mayo), roast beef, ground beef, mushrooms and cucumber. I walked 4.5 miles. No caffeine, no alcohol.

Off to start Day 2!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #382
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzukigirl
Stats: 200/125/130
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: 1/12/11
Quote:
Suzuki... I listened to a podcast yesterday of the Eades talking about this plan (an HOUR long). They talked about the first two weeks and the purpose behind the shakes. They said the shakes had two purposes... one is preserve muscle mass and the other is to reduce abdominal fat. They also addressed the purpose of the first two weeks... they said it's to remove fat from the liver... to promote the best weight loss possible. Also, the first two weeks were designed to supply good quality protein, not too many carbs and the appropriate amount of fat. So, do the first two weeks.... "defat" your liver and then see what the second phase can do for your "rib roll". That's what I call it. Are you in perimenopause (or menopause)? That's when my rib roll started to grow.
Thanks for that, do you mean the podcast with Jimmy Moore? I heard that one. I'm definitely sticking with the plan. As for menopause, I don't know. I'm 48 and after a hystero 8 years ago was left with one ovary, so maybe I don't have the hormones I should. Thinking back, that is about the time the belly started to appear so there could be a link there. Thanks. I'll look further into that.
suzukigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

What the Eades discuss in the book and on the podcast about the middle aged middle is SO true for me and my friends. Even some of my friends who have always been thin are freaking out about what is going on with the gut area! Then I have a few other friends who have always gained weight in that area, and it gets even worse! All of us now complain how our bodies are starting shift--- the weight no longer goes to the butt and thighs, but right to the middle.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #384
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
W2D2

Today is the day I give blood. I have never given blood. In the past, I was anemic and sort of used this as an excuse. Today that changes and perhaps it will become a lifelong practice.

Snaggle:
Quote:
Back from giving blood. Not too bad at all.
Glad to here this!

Because I am giving blood things will run a little different today. I did not fast as the book suggested, I had my morning shake at about 7 a.m. (giving blood at 1) I packed a snack (pepperoni, cheese & a couple sm. dill pickles) to eat after I donate and then will go home and have a Strawberry Mojito shake

Can't wait to enjoy my predonate high octane iced coffee! WOOHOO

DiamondDeb
~ can you tell me approximately how much of the extracts you use? Thanks in advance!

Dinner tonight will be Beef with sauteed onions, mushrooms & Provolone cheese, side veggie, hopefully spinach if it hasn't gone bad

Chrysalis
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #385
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: whippetlady
Stats: 160 ( or more?) Goal is 140 5'5 small frame
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restarted May 2014
Ladies, something monumental happened today. I put on a pair of jeans that were uncomfortably snug, creating muffins ( no, no the good kind) just early in September.

Today? I can take them off without unzipping them.
whippetlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #386
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
Quote:
Ladies, something monumental happened today. I put on a pair of jeans that were uncomfortably snug, creating muffins ( no, no the good kind) just early in September.

Today? I can take them off without unzipping them
I JUST FAINTED!!! AWESOME
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gr82bthin
Stats: 205/199/150
WOE: LC/ Atkins
Start Date: August 3, 2012
Sunny7
To make the rootbeer float I put rootbeer, vanilla protein powder, heavy whipping cream and some ice in my blender. I usually use the whole can because I don't like them mushy. Be sure to open the rootbeer and let it get flat before you mix it, as the carbonation will blow the lid off your blender.
Gr82bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gr82bthin
Stats: 205/199/150
WOE: LC/ Atkins
Start Date: August 3, 2012
Day 3 for me on the first week. I really enjoy drinking the shakes, so good and easy. I think I'm going to miss them in weeks 3 and 4, but may continue to have some. My pants are loose this morning. I only weigh in on Thursdays, so we'll see if there is any weight loss. Even if there isn't, I'm okay with that, I feel less like a sausage in my pants today.

Congratulations to all or you on your success!!!
Gr82bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #389
Senior LCF Member

When I wanted to use diet soda in a shake but hadn't allowed the time for it to go flat I put about 1/3 of the can in the blender with the cream and powder... whirl that... then add another 1/3 of the can... whirl... then add the rest of the can, mix a little... THEN add the ice and blend away. I didn't have any explosions doing it that way. I think the extra space in the blender helped... and leaving the ice out until last did, too. In the end, you still have some of the fizz left which made it seem even MORE like a real root beer float to me.

whippet... on the jeans fitting better!

NGJ... good luck today!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Natasha-- I forgot to fast beforehand too, and ended up having a shake in the morning and an egg. I had a 2nd one in the little juice and cookie section afterwards. Felt fine, although I took it real easy the rest of the day. The whole thing was pretty easy. Who knows how many toxins I got rid of, but either way, I feel good about giving blood. My goal is to do a two week alchohol/caffeine/junk detox twice a year and give blood at the end. My hope is that between that and continuing a form of JUDDD, I can maintain, once I reach goal.
Good luck today. You will do great!!

Day 1 of phase II: Still at 149, so the final tally for phase I was 5 lbs. Not too shabby considering that I came into this at a low weight and after a week of strict JUDDD.
I am looking forward to the plan, and know for sure what I will miss the most is being able to have a little cheese, even though I hardly ate any in phase I. I can't believe I am saying this, but I may miss the shakes, and may make a few with the coconut milk, especially if I am having a busy day.
Todays menu: Brekky- 2 eggs, 3 pc bacon, crisp
Lunch-- tuna salad w/mayo, celery, pickle, avocado and a cup of chopped organic frisee.
Dinner- cauliflower puree, roasted chicken.

I am saving my 2 mini (4 oz) glasses of wine for the weekend. Par-tay!