Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #271
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
lol... reading about the pickles. I love pickles and have some in the fridge. It hadn't occurred to me to have any but they sound good. I do use a good salt (Real Salt) on my real food meals. I guess having a few pickles would be OK, too.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Is this only for the middle aged group?
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kat_cairo
Stats: okay. I am fat
WOE: eat heathy, lots of veggies, fruit
Start Date: Aug 2012... again
just checking in. wonderful news to all who are staying with this "program"?
I lost another lb...hard won at that. really wanted a beer with the rest of my friends.. stuck with lemon water. woo hoo
kat_cairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kat_cairo
Stats: okay. I am fat
WOE: eat heathy, lots of veggies, fruit
Start Date: Aug 2012... again
PASTA DIET

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
Is this only for the middle aged group?
no. it's for anyone with a big middle

For those that need a little lift this morning.

the PASTA DIET
1) You walka pasta da bakery.
2) You walka pasta da candy store.
3) You walka pasta da Ice Cream shop.
4) You walka pasta da table and fridge.

And for those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all the conflicting medical studies:

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
4. The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausage and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

It's just me.
kat_cairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:40 AM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
OMG! I love that elephant on the trampoline!

Quote:
I'm also adding 5g D-Ribose instead of 2.5 as I've taken 5g previously for fatigue/pain and it did help.
Oh this is good to know!

MSN08~ I'm sure this plan would help anyone! and what Kat_Cairo said ..LOL

Tirjasdyn~ Welcome back!

Lots of pounds and inches disappearing around here kat_cairo, flateyeball, Rhonda in Phx

Last edited by NGJ26; 09-25-2009 at 05:42 AM..
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Louise_1967
WOE: Low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
Here are my questions: Are the shakes just whey protein or do the recipes require you to add more ingredients? How many shakes do you drink in a day. On the podcast they say that people complain that they can't drink all of their shakes so I am assuming you get more than two????
I am on my 3rd day of the 4 shakes a day plus one meal and this is what happened
day one, lost 4.5 lbs, no hunger at all!!
day two, lost 2.5 lbs, no hunger at all either!!!
on day 3 and can't wait to weigh in again tomorrow.
Louise_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
**Stevie**Glad you got the pudding to work without it exploding this time!!!

**Tril**I agree about the vitamins, they make me feel sick to my stomach.

So this is day 9 for me. If I count right at this time of the morning. I have to admit that I am finding it hard to not eat real food. I am also finding it hard to stay off of the scale. My pants are fitting better but the scale keeps sitting there on the bathroom floor trying to seduce me into just one weigh in. I don't find the shakes hard to do but when I am hungry in between I would like to have a piece of ham or something to tide me over. I do not follow their evening meal menu so that may bite me in the bu++. I have 4 ounces of meat and a some low carb veggies. I cook for my family and just adapt whatever I cook for them into what I want to eat. My DD has been really sick (this is the 3rd day) but tested negative for flu. So the last two days I have made soup so that she could eat something. Like Tril I look upon this plan as a short term solution and then on to regular low carb eating. I think that is what it is suppose to be. Have a good day and keep fighting the good fight!!!!

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!

Last edited by homestretch; 09-25-2009 at 06:14 AM..
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
Got up this morning and went for a walk... figure it's about 4.5 to 5 miles. Got some groceries (found out FIL will be staying here tomorrow night and "might" be here for dinner). Now I'm home and ready for a cup of decaf. I am NOT ready for a cold shake. Brrrrrrr... 50°, cloudy and the wind is brutal. My hands are still numb. Gotta have that shake though... gotta use the powder so I don't have to dread another shake. LOL

Louise (welcome)... you said: "I am on my 3rd day of the 4 shakes a day plus one meal...". It might have been a typo, but it's 3 shakes a day plus one meal. Or, if you're like me... 2 shakes gagged down and one meal.

Homestretch... I'm having a REALLY hard time with the no food thing, too. I'll admit, I have had a slice of cheese here and there. And a few macadamias. I don't like this not eating $%&.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Homestretch- I think I remember you said you had scale/weighing issues, but what would be the harm in once a week weigh ins?
Granted, I weigh everyday, but I just can't imagine starting a new, fairly hard core, plan like this and NOT weighing.

I am not trying to be snarky, just curious as to the reasoning of not weighing.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Tril- interesting you mentioned the macadamias. I wish the Eades would have addressed nuts in the plan more. There is very little reference to them at all in the book, other than the piddly amounts in a few recipes. I just wish they said a limit somewhere.
Hubby had a pistachio "incident" the other day.
He isn't exactly thrilled with his losses so far, but in 10 days, he (6'3" 221 lbs) has lost 4 lbs.
I am 5'3" and have lost 2.5 lbs in 11 days.

Both of us are really looking forward to the meat weeks.

It is interesting, prior to this little adventure, I had been doing JUDDD (alternate day diet) since april. On it, you alternate between higher cal and very low cal days. I am allowed 500 cal for the down days and always save them for one decent meal. Anyway, the down days are always tough, but the huge benefit of course is that you only have to wait til tomorrow for a high day. The bummer about phase one of this plan is that I feel like it is a down day every day. I know the shakes are giving me fat and protein, but they do not give me much satisfaction, or dare I say, pleasure, like I normally get from my meals.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Snaggle... I feel the same way about the shakes. NO satisfaction at all. And nothing to look forward to but another one. LOL Dinner seems months away every morning. I think I'm also tempted to overeat at my meal because I know it's going to be 24 hour before I get to eat again.

I don't think this is a good plan for me.

I suppose if I had an "event" that I absolutely HAD to lose weight for (like my wedding dress wasn't going to fit or I was going to have pictures of me in a bikini on TV) that this would be tolerable. But since I don't... it's torture. If I wasn't losing and feeling better, I don't think I'd still be willing to keep going.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #282
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Homestretch,
sorry to hear about your little one. I hope she feels better soon. Way to go on day 9.

Hi all

~DAY 7~
Feeling pretty good. Wanted two things yesterday..chocolate bars and red wine! LMAO.

So I think I was overeating the meat - did you guys say its 4 ounces per serving of meat? Can someone clarify? Mine have been 4 to 8 ounces.

My shakes are still satisfying and my meals too,. Yesterday's lunch I could not finish! My stomach was full.

So did you all do the hip-to ratio? I used about 3 calculaters that put mine at the start .83 or .84 - so the goal is to get to the .7's...

I can see change in the mirror.

Happy Friday! I know weekends can be tough but just focus, focus, focus! lol
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
Stevie_Renee there is no limit on protein, just eat till you are satisfied not stuffed!

My hip ration is somewhere around .83 also.

I'm another one enjoying the shakes! My problem is I need to stop stressing about dinner.. like my signature says I need to keep it simple... I think this comes from my childhood when every supper was a 4 or 5 course meal!
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Stevie... this is what they say about the protein in your one meal:

"You will notice that we have not specified the amounts of most protein foods--meats, fish, poultry, eggs, seafood--in the menus that follow, but we have routinely specified portions for the fruits, vegetables, some dairy, starchier foods, and breads. That's because we want you to eat the amount of protein that satisfies your hunger. bigger bodies and bigger appetites generally need 6 to 8 ounces of protein, small bodies and appetites generally require 3 to 4 ounces, and middle-size one want something in between. But those are just general guidelines. While we don't want you stuff yourself, whatever your size, we want you to eat a generous enough portion of protein to feel full; after all, it's your only solid meal of the day and protein is critical to successful weight loss."

That's probably where the ounce suggestion you read came from. Oh, and I didn't take any measurements at all. I used to work at a fitness center and we did measurements... let's just say, they were never all that accurate. I go by my jeans. Those don't change. It's how I know this is working... I'm back in my 6's and they're comfortable.

Snaggle... I suspect that nuts aren't part of this plan until you get to maintenance. One of the suggestions for maintenance is to add protein/fat rich foods like nuts to up your calories to stop the weight loss. That's the only reference to nuts I remember seeing. Check out page 163, second paragraph of "What To Expect Now". Peanuts and almonds are also on the list of foods with leucine, page 284.

I'm happy to say that the half pound I gained yesterday is gone... back down to my sticky weight. On a Friday. Sigh. Tomorrow is going to be a challenge. I'll be on the road with dh for lunch and then we have his dad coming for dinner. So I'll be having two meals and one shake tomorrow. They WILL be low carb.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tirjasdyn
Stats: 175/182/150
WOE: Duvan
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
Tirj... regarding the pickle:

On Page 111 under the "Add some salt" they write:

"You may salt your food with quality salt or eat a dill pickle half once or twice a day."

You can drink pickle juice or bouillon as well.
You know I read that passage over and over again and didn't find any mention of pickle until three people pointed it out to me. I feel dumb. I'm really feeling the need for salt this time and of course all we have is Russian Sweets. MUST GO TO STORE.

I actually love pickle juice.
Tirjasdyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #286

Thanks for answering ladies! I am just eating to hunger and notice I cannot finish a meal.

You all reading Jimmy Moores blog? He mentions the Eade's designed the 2 weeks for liver cleansing, not weight loss. Interesting!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #287
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AlabamaDeb
Stats: 274.8/248.6/150
WOE: Low Carb/6-week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle
Start Date: March 15, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
How long have you been on the plan? Are you taking the supplements, following all the rules? Remember this is NOT a weight loss plan. Your results will be inches lost.

That EAS protein bar is not part of the plan. I'd leave those out.
Did ya miss the part where I said I was taking a day off?

I've got the book. I've read the book -- I've read the plan part of the book several times. I know what is and isn't on the 6-week plan. What I posted was my day-off plan. I've been low-carbing off and on for 30 years. I've lost and regained a lot of weight low-carbing. If I needed a lecture I'd talk to my mother about this.

Good luck everyone. I'm out of here.
AlabamaDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaDeb View Post

I've got the book. I've read the book -- I've read the plan part of the book several times. I know what is and isn't on the 6-week plan. What I posted was my day-off plan. I've been low-carbing off and on for 30 years. I've lost and regained a lot of weight low-carbing. If I needed a lecture I'd talk to my mother about this.

Oh! I missed the part about your day off and I too was confused on the bars. Knowing Diamond Deb, I don't think she was lecturing hon. She is one of LCF straight shooters however and really wanting us to be successful on the 6 week cure. I am impressed with your 30 years of low carbing! Wonderful
Pls reconsider leaving. I need all the support I can get!

Hey, am I still seeing Diet Coke on Jimmys menu?! lol..what the hey. Nevermind..its cuz he is done with two weeks!

Deciding what my meal should be...chicken or shrimp with veggies. If thats my only problem today, I am in good shape! hehehhe

eta..I love pickles! I am going to get some too!! Woohoo.lol

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 09-25-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 09-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaDeb View Post

Yes, sorry, I did miss that you were taking the day off. I guess I figured if you were posting your menu you were wondering if it was OK. I was attempting to help.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
Thanks for answering ladies! I am just eating to hunger and notice I cannot finish a meal.

You all reading Jimmy Moores blog? He mentions the Eade's designed the 2 weeks for liver cleansing, not weight loss. Interesting!
The book talks about weeks 1 & 2 being a liver cleanse as part of what leads to losing the fat in the middle. The plan is not for weight loss though some scale weight is likely to be lost. It is about fat loss. They are very different things.

Make sure you don't eat too little. Getting enough is important to the success of the plan.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

I read the Jimmy Moore blog and am blown away at how fast the weight is dropping off.
It also amazes me that it sounds like he is consuming around 250 grams of protein a day, given 3 scoops of powder 3x per day, plus meat to the tune of 1/2 lb. (a hamburger he referred to). All I can think is that even tho he is a low carb guy, perhaps he was quite "carbed up" prior to starting.???
I mean, my hubby is a big guy and is being pretty darn strict (except for the one pistachio incident) and is only down 4 lbs.
I will say, however, that unlike the Eades, who I have considered my low carb gurus, I do not consider Jimmy Moore in that category. There is an interesting response to his Amazon review of the book that kind of captured my sentiments exactly.

Last edited by snaggle; 09-25-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Old 09-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
**Stevie**Glad you got the pudding to work without it exploding this time!!!

**Tril**I agree about the vitamins, they make me feel sick to my stomach.

So this is day 9 for me. If I count right at this time of the morning. I have to admit that I am finding it hard to not eat real food. I am also finding it hard to stay off of the scale. My pants are fitting better but the scale keeps sitting there on the bathroom floor trying to seduce me into just one weigh in. I don't find the shakes hard to do but when I am hungry in between I would like to have a piece of ham or something to tide me over. I do not follow their evening meal menu so that may bite me in the bu++. I have 4 ounces of meat and a some low carb veggies. I cook for my family and just adapt whatever I cook for them into what I want to eat. My DD has been really sick (this is the 3rd day) but tested negative for flu. So the last two days I have made soup so that she could eat something. Like Tril I look upon this plan as a short term solution and then on to regular low carb eating. I think that is what it is suppose to be. Have a good day and keep fighting the good fight!!!!
I'm sorry about your DD. I hope she is feeling better soon.

How far apart are your meals? I can't imagine going two weeks feeling hungry most of the time. I do think if my day was very long I'd most likely end up hungry stretching them out, too. I wonder is adding a bit more protein might help?

I agree with you; this is not a plan for the long term. For that we want to stick to something we can live with easily.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
I read the Jimmy Moore blog and am blown away at how fast the weight is dropping off.
It also amazes me that it sounds like he is consuming over 400 grams of protein a day, given 4 scoops of powder 3x per day, plus meat to the tune of 1/2 lb. (a hamburger he referred to). All I can think is that even tho he is a low carb guy, perhaps he was quite "carbed up" prior to starting.???
I mean, my hubby is a big guy and is being pretty darn strict (except for the one pistachio incident) and is only down 4 lbs.
I will say, however, that unlike the Eades, who I have considered my low carb gurus, I do not consider Jimmy Moore in that category. There is an interesting response to his Amazon review of the book that kind of captured my sentiments exactly.
Goodness! That's a lot of protein! I'll bet he's not hungry. Why 4 scoops of protein?

I agree, large losses of weight usually point to lots of carbs but hasn't he been following the plan

I need to find the time to read up on his blog this weekend.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise_1967 View Post
I am on my 3rd day of the 4 shakes a day plus one meal and this is what happened
day one, lost 4.5 lbs, no hunger at all!!
day two, lost 2.5 lbs, no hunger at all either!!!
on day 3 and can't wait to weigh in again tomorrow.
WTG!

It is so much easier for those of us who are not too hungry.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_cairo View Post
just checking in. wonderful news to all who are staying with this "program"?
I lost another lb...hard won at that. really wanted a beer with the rest of my friends.. stuck with lemon water. woo hoo
That is great! I know how hard it is not to join in with everyone else like that. You're reaping the rewards!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Goodness! That's a lot of protein! I'll bet he's not hungry. Why 4 scoops of protein?

I agree, large losses of weight usually point to lots of carbs but hasn't he been following the plan

I need to find the time to read up on his blog this weekend.
I did say that wrong- it is 3 scoops 3x a day, but at 23 grams protein per scoop. That only comes to around 250 grams a day. Still a lot.
(I will try and edit my post...)
Old 09-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #297

Quote:
I did say that wrong- it is 3 scoops 3x a day, but at 23 grams protein per scoop. That only comes to around 250 grams a day. Still a lot.
(I will try and edit my post...)
Ah, I see. And add to that a real meal. He's getting a lot. But it is probably just what he needs if he is seeing good results. We are all so different.

I actually had great fat burning results once on a plan that called for me to get a little more than that. I think it was around 270g protein per day.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Snaggle... after reading this: "There is an interesting response to his Amazon review of the book that kind of captured my sentiments exactly." I had to go to Amazon and read the reviews. No gray area there... people either hate it or love it.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Homestretch- I think I remember you said you had scale/weighing issues, but what would be the harm in once a week weigh ins?
Granted, I weigh everyday, but I just can't imagine starting a new, fairly hard core, plan like this and NOT weighing.

I am not trying to be snarky, just curious as to the reasoning of not weighing.
I don't think you are being snarky! The Eades recommended weighing at the end of 2 weeks so I just figured that is what I would do. Yes, I have scale issues and in the last 6 months I have really struggled to stick to plan because the results on the scale are not what I want them to be and I get discouraged. I have also been feeling sluggish etc. over the last 6 months. So I don't want to get on the scale and feel discouraged, I am finally feeling like myself again and my energy is good. If I get on the scale at the end of two weeks with a 2 pound loss and renewed energy it will be a victory but if I get on the scale now and see a very small loss I will find it hard to stay motivated to finish out the 2 weeks of shakes. My mind may be sick and twisted but I know how it functions all too well!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the well wishes for my DD. She is much better today thank goodness! I kept freaking out that maybe she had a false negative for the Swine flu.

I watched Fat Head yesterday and if anyone has not seen it, it is worth buying, or renting. It has some great interviews with the Eades and presents much of the same information that is contained in "Good Calories Bad Calories" in a format that is easy to understand. My DH watched it with me and he was shocked.