Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitchenwitch
Stats: size 26W/size20-22W/size 14-16
WOE: Metabolism Miracle TWO
Start Date: July 14, 2009
Recipes for Metabolism Miracle - Step 1

This can be a place to post recipes, menus, and shopping tips for food items appropriate for step one of the MM plan. Links to recipes on the web and our own adaptations to recipes we have used forever are good. Remember copyright rules, and if it is in an old, old cook book that has reverted to public domain, give credit to that book.

I think for the time being it would be helpful to limit this to recipes for step one, and mark them as use freely or 5x5.

Everyone on MM, come share your favorite recipe and help the newer members of our group.

recipes link for step one
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-step-1-a.html

Last edited by kitchenwitch; 07-23-2009 at 07:34 AM..
kitchenwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Zero Carb Sausage Casserole Recipe

This is an adaption of a recipe I have used forever and was always a favorite of the family. this is how I would make this recipe for my family, but you can add more meat, more g beans, more cheese, to fit your needs, or use two large fresh tomatoes instead of the canned.

Zero Carb Sausage Casserole
suitable for all stages of MM as a use freely food
Makes 4 servings

* INGREDIENTS
* 12 ounces of low fat sausage, cooked, drained on paper towels
* 1 medium onion, half, then slice and saute till transparent
* 1 can of diced tomatoes packed in tomato juice, drained
* 1 can of green beans
* 1 large can of mushrooms
* garlic powder, basil, or Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
* few drops of liquid smoke ( adds more hickory cured flavor)
* 4 ounces of low fat or fat free shredded cheddar cheese

Cook and drain your sausage, set aside. Wipe your skillet with paper towels and saute the onions. If you are using a bulk sausage you can reduce the fat further by putting the cooked, scrambled sausage in a colander and running hot water over it to rinse away more fat. Put in your cans of vegetables, the sausage and the spices. Cook in microwave till heated through, about 6-8 minutes on high, stirring half way is necessary. Remove from microwave and add the cheese. Return to microwave on HALF POWER and cook in 30 second increments till cheese melts. Enjoy.

Variation, you could cut 12-16 ounces lean cooked ham into cubes and sub for the sausage.

Variation, use lean ground beef, and add extra liquid smoke and spices.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

SALMON PATTIES
makes 4 servings a 5x5 food

* 1 can 16 oz salmon or mackerel
* 2 slices of wal mart 100% whole wheat bread (Net carb 10 each x 2 slices = 20 carb divide by 4 servings, 5 net carb per serving)
* 2 eggs. beaten
* grated onion or onion powder to taste
* Dill if you care for it, to taste
* Olive oil, or vegetable oil

Tear bread into small pieces, put in blender or food processor and process till corse crumbs, or alternately, wet the bread and squeeze out excess. The idea is to stir bread in equally. Mix bread with the eggs, and onion. De-bone your fish, and add the bread egg mixture. Divide into 8 equal portions and fry in a small amount of allowed oil.

I find the real eggs work better in this than the egg substitute, seems to bind the ingredients better. Other, lower carb breads will work in this recipe, just so your total for serving is 5 gram or less.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Desertduck
Stats: 257/257/170
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: July 2009
Zucchini Lasagna

Zucchini Lasagna:

Filling:
Brown 2 lb. extra lean ground beef ( I use 4%)
with I medium onion, salt, pepper, and fresh garlic to taste.

Mix with 16oz. container of lowfat ricotta and 2 cups of skim mozzy and one package frozen chopped spinach (drained and patted as dry as possible)

Mix in 1/4 cup lowest carb spaghetti sauce you can find.

Noodles:

Buy 2-3 good size zucchini. Use a cheese slicer to slice off thin layers of "noodles."

In a cake pan, layer zucchini, 1/2 filling, zucchini, rest of filling, zucchini. Top with remainder of jar of sauce and more mozzy cheese (I go about 2 more cups).

Bake @ 350 for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and beginning to brown. YUM! My family loves this!
Desertduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Desertduck
Stats: 257/257/170
Layered Salad

My family LOVES this - I found it on this board and adapted a bit...

Chop or Slice to your preference and layer from the bottom up (a glass bowl makes nice presentation for potlucks!)

1 head Romaine
I head Cauliflower chopped into small florets
6 slices cooked bacon crumbled
1/2 large red onion
Optional: 3 hard boiled eggs slices (I only use the whites and toss the yolks)

Dressing:
1 Cup Mayo (I use lowfat)
1 Cup Parmesan
1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
Desertduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Nell
Stats: 364/317/175
WOE: Metabolism Miracle STEP ONE
Start Date: 08/6/2009
Variation on Sausage cassarole

1 bag frozen whole green beans (or fresh, canned whatever you have)
measured sausage for each person eating (say 3-4 oz per person)
2 whole garlic cloves chopped up
dried parm/romano cheese mix
1 small (I think 4 oz. can tomato sauce)
OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon flax oil for each person eating.

Put sausage in baking dish on 400 degrees. Cook it until it's brown and a lot of the fat has cooked out. Take it out of the oven, chop it into slices. A spatula works great for this. Being careful not to burn yourself, rinse the fat out of the pan and off the sausage. Add the frozen green beans, stir the mix and put the pan back in the oven for about twenty minutes. Take the pan back out and add the chopped garlic and small can of tomato stirring again and back in the oven about ten minutes or until it's not watery and the sauce is sticking to the beans and sausage. Take the pan out and shut the oven off. Add in the oil if you choose to use it and sprinkle the cassarole liberally with the dried cheese. Now it's ready to serve.

*If you use canned or fresh beans you'll have to vary the cooking times. When it's done you want the beans soft and no loose liquid in the pan.

*The oil is mostly to tip the omega balance from the sausage. It's not needed for the recipe to taste right.

Last edited by Nell; 07-23-2009 at 03:21 PM..
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Other Plans, Recipes for Metabolism Miracle

Lets see if this will work. Here is a link direct to the recipe page if you cannot find it through the site map here. It is under Other Plans, Recipies for Metabolism Miracle Step one. This morning it is way down the list. It seems confusing how things move about on this list.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-step-1-a.html
Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Nell
Stats: 364/317/175
WOE: Metabolism Miracle STEP ONE
Start Date: 08/6/2009
[QUOTE=Nell;12258896]1 bag frozen whole green beans (or fresh, canned whatever you have)

Hi everyone. I was re-reading the other sausage cassarole and didn't realize that kitchen witches was the same as mine. I didn't see her garlic powder. Does anyone know how to delete a message? I'd rather not have mine cluttering things up.

I cannot wait to try these recipes! Thank you everyone!
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Mexican Meat Loaf

Making meat loaf without tomato sauce is different, but this turned out tasty.

Mexican Meat Loaf
Serves 4 to 6
a 5x5 food if bread is used A use freely if bread omitted.

1 and 1/2 Pounds of low fat ground beef (85 - 96% fat free)
1 C combined cut peppers, onion , banana peppers, yellow, green or red bell peppers, whatever you have.
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten, OR egg substitute OR egg whites to equal 2 eggs
2 slices bread, which total 20 grams carbs or less. (optional)

In a blender or food processor, pulse the bread till fine crumbs, add to meat in mixing bowl. then pulse peppers and onion until very finely chopped, almost a paste, there should be some liquid from the blend. Add your spices and taste test till it suits your taste.

Mix first the bread with meat, then add in the pepper and spices blend and the 2 eggs. Mix well, shape into a loaf and cook on a broiler pan if possible so the fat drains. Cook at 400 degrees F until a meat thermometer registers 160, or about 30 minutes until done.

Menu suggestions.
Steamed cabbage wedges with whipped butter.
tomato slices

VARIATIONS: make this an Italian meat loaf by using garlic, basil, thyme and oregano or pizza spices with your peppers/onion blend.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuguelet
Stats: 332/291/165
WOE: Metabolism Miracle - Step 2
Start Date: 7/2/09
Egg Drop Soup

This is yummy! I use it as a side to my Asian Lettuce Wraps! Whether this is considered free or a 5x5 depends on the amount of carbs in the broth you use. Here is a recipe for no carb stock.

4 cups chicken broth or stock (I use low sodium)
2 eggs beaten
2 -3 Tbsp chopped green onions
salt and pepper to taste

Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add green onion and boil for 1 minute. Slowly add the beaten eggs into the broth while quickly stirring the broth with a whisk or a fork (this prevents the eggs from clumping). Continue to stir until eggs are cooked. Salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 1-cup servings.
Chuguelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Asian Lettuce Wraps

The perfect compliment to the egg drop soup! You can vary spices and vegetables to suit your tastes.

1 large head of lettuce
1 lb. ground turkey (you can use cubed or ground chicken as well)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2-3 scallions chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic minced
6-8 oz sliced mushrooms
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. hoisin sauce (Warning - this adds carbs to this recipe so watch the label if you are using prepared sauce. There are several recipes for low carb hoisin on the web.)
salt and pepper

1. Peel and rinse the leaves from the lettuce head. Dry the leaves and put them back in the refrigerator so they don't wilt.

2. Season ground turkey with salt and pepper and brown. Remove from pan and set aside.

3. Heat olive oil in a pan or wok. Add onions and cook until almost transparent, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, scallions, mushrooms and continue to saute for a few more minutes.

4. Stir the meat back into the pan. Add sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce and hoisin sauce. Toss to coat the mixture.

Serve with chilled lettuce leafs. Spoon 2 - 3 tbsp. of mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf. I can't say how many servings this makes, but it fed me, my husband and our teenage daughter and we had leftovers! Just be sure to keep your portion within the 5x5 guidelines!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissykay0583
Stats: 185/181/140
Start Date: Aug 2009
Ok I don't have the exacts for the recipe because I had it in an old low carb recipe book about 6 years ago, lol. So this is from memory... but I remember really loving it!!

Tofu Pizza ( Depending on marinara sauce and toppings used should be a free or 5x5)

Use the extra firm tofu. Cut into thin slices. Take about four paper towels and put two underneath the tofu with the other two on top and get as much moisture as possible out of the tofu. Put a little EVOO or whatever cooking oil you prefer in a pan and fry each side of the tofu for about 4-5 minutes on each side. Top with your favorite low carb marinara, cheese, toppings! Put in oven just long enough to melt cheese, heat topping through!

Sorry for the non specific recipe, but it is really a good alternative when you are craving some pizza!
krissykay0583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ohjeanne
Stats: 216/216/130
WOE: MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertduck View Post
My family LOVES this - I found it on this board and adapted a bit...

Chop or Slice to your preference and layer from the bottom up (a glass bowl makes nice presentation for potlucks!)

1 head Romaine
I head Cauliflower chopped into small florets
6 slices cooked bacon crumbled
1/2 large red onion
Optional: 3 hard boiled eggs slices (I only use the whites and toss the yolks)

Dressing:
1 Cup Mayo (I use lowfat)
1 Cup Parmesan
1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
Love this salad! I used to make it all the time when I had to take a covered dish to school. I also add broccoli and peas but the peas are not allowed on step 1. Almost any veggie can be added. YUMMO~~
ohjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: happyhappy
Start Date: 7/23/09
I did this tonight and it turned out good. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Wash and cut a spaghetti squash in half the long way and scoop out seeds (hard to cut). Spray casserole dish lightly with cooking spray and place the two halves face down. Cook for 50 minutes. Scrape out the squash halves (be careful they are hot) back into casserole. I topped that with some cooked ground chicken and sprinkled some parmesian on top. Baked again for a 10 min or so until cheese melts. When I find a low carb sauce, I think I'll add that too, but it was good just like this.

Last edited by happyhappy; 07-25-2009 at 06:19 PM..
happyhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: happyhappy
Start Date: 7/23/09
Cauliflower Rice

Cauliflower "Rice" Recipe - How to Make Cauliflower Similar to Rice

The recipe is at the above, but basically you grate or better yet shred in a food processor some washed cauliflower -- you want it about the size of rice. Place in a covered microwave safe dish. Cook in microwave for 4-5 min. (don't add water). When it's ready, top with a little butter and salt or whatever you like.
happyhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Pizza Crusts From onderland, use freely

Thanks onderland, for posting these pizza crusts recipes and allowing me to copy them here .

Zucchini Pizza Crust

Large raw zucchini, shredded (between 1.5-2 cups)
2 eggs
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Grease cookie sheet.

Shred a large zucchini. Squeeze handfuls of zucchini to remove excess water. Add egg and cheese, and mix well.

Spread the dough onto the pan evenly (watch to distribute evenly. The middle of the crust can be too thick, causing edges to brown and the center to remain thick) and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is cooked. Let cool/rest.

Makes a large crust (14")

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 785 Carbohydrates: 9 Fiber: 0 Net carbohydrate: 9 Fat: 49 g Protein: 75 g

Cauliflower Crust

1 cup cooked grated cauliflower
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese

pizza sauce

toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Broil at high heat until cheese melts.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

French toast using oopsie rolls

Again, thanks to onderland for posting this recipe, will have to try that one also.

Oopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 packet of Splenda
A dash of salt
A pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture).

Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake for about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool.

Calories 85 each Carbs Less than 1g each

I have never used the cream of tartar in my oopsie rolls. I have a kitchenaid mixer and I'm able to get the egg whites stiff without it.

To make french toast with the oopsie rolls just beat an egg (I throw a little vanilla and cinnamon in it). Coat the oopsie roll and make it the way you make regular french toast. I have it with sugar free syrup. It's really good.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Almost Thanksgiving Dinner Turkey Patties

Many years ago, I got tired of trying to make ground turkey taste like beef and decided to make it taste like what it was, turkey. This is the recipe that emerged.

Servings 6 A carb free food
  • 1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey
  • 2 ribs of celery, chopped fine
  • 1 medium onion, chopped fine
  • one egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon ground sage
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Mix all ingredients, shape into 6 equal patties, fry, grill or broil. If grilling, I would use one off those burger baskets to keep it from falling through the grill.

Shopping tip: some inexpensive ground turkey is very high in fat, do look for a lower fat ground turkey.

Turkey gravy: 1 can of chicken broth (check for carbs in your broth)
1 tablespoon corn starch.
Pan dripppings if you fried or broiled the patties

put 1 level Tbs cornstarch in small bowl. add a 2-3 table spoons water, and stir to a thin paste. De-glaze your cooking pan with a small amount of your broth, water or wine. Add remaining broth and bring to a boil. Add the corn starch mixture, stirring well to prevent lumps. serve over the turkey patty. the gravy will be rather thin, but cornstarch has a LOT of carbs. If you use more than 1 TBS corn starch for 6 servings, you would count it as a 5x5 food.

Serve with cranberry jello salad
Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Cranberry Jello Salad
Makes 6 servings a carb free food
  • 2 packages sugar free cranberry jello
  • finely chopped celery
  • grated zucchini, squeezed dry of water
  • Chopped pecans

Make the jello according to package directions for one box, but use both boxes of jello.

Add the vegetables and nuts

Chill till firm.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lsnitker
Chicken Salad Hot Dish
This is adapted from a family favorite

2 cups cooked chicken (I cook mine in the slow cooker and shred it)
2 cups celery (crisp)
1/2 cup slivered almonds (I used sliced almonds and chopped a little more)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Ac'cent (seasoning)
2 tablespoons grated onion
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup mayonnaise (can use light, but don't use Miracle Whip)
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese (2% if you have it)

Mix all ingredients except cheese and put in 8x8 casserole dish. Cover with cheese. Bake at 450 for about 20 minutes (until cheese starts to brown). Serve hot and bubbly, celery should be crisp.

This will also work well in a low-carb wrap for lunch the next day!
lsnitker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firmingrojo
Stats: 215/:(/150
Start Date: June 2003/ May 15,2009
"Fried Chicken"

1 bag parmesan and mozzarella cheese blend
1 pound chicken tenders
Olive oil
2 eggs
1tbs water

Crack the 2 eggs into a bowl and blend,add water and blend until frothy.
Put some of the cheese blend in a plate.
Have your frying pan on medium heat with olive oil (I never measure)- dont let your chicken "swim" that is too much oil.
Dip chicken tenders one at a time into egg mixture and then into cheese mixture making sure to press the cheese into the chicken. Place into hot frying pan. Only cook 4 chicken tenders at a time to insure a crispy crust. Turn when it has a deep golden brown crust and do the same to the other side.

You can add pasley or italtian herbs to the cheese mixture and it is awesome.
Also, I do not salt the chicken because of the high salt content in the cheese. But you may want to salt yours.

I serve this as 3 tenders as a serving with veggies on the side.

Laura
Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wshn4snow
Cauliflower Crust

1 cup cooked grated cauliflower
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese

pizza sauce

toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Broil at high heat until cheese melts.[/QUOTE]
wshn4snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wshn4snow
Sorry I'm trying to quote your recipe but it's not working for me. I made the above recipe thanks to Kitchen, with vegan gourmet nacho cheese. This cheese has 2g carb and 2g dietary fiber which makes it 0 net carbs and the cheese is spice and tastes so good and melts on 425. I found this cheese at the local health food store.
wshn4snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Hush Puppies

I found this on the recipe board. We fried some fish for dinner the other night and I decided to try them. They were DELICIOUS!!! The only mod I would make is maybe adding some minced onion to give them a little more onion flavor! This recipe makes ALOT of these, but I was able to refridgerate the batter and cook them up the next day as well.

2 cups soy flour - sifted (very important to sift!)
2 tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup splenda
pinch of salt
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp lemon and pepper powder (I didn't have any of this, so I just used about 1/2 tbsp. pepper)
2 eggs
1 cup of half and half
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese

Heat canola oil in a pan to medium heat. In a bowl combine all above ingredients with a rubber spatula. Do not forget to sift soy flour.
Drop tbsp size drops of batter into the heated oil. If it burns fast then your oil is to hot. Brown and turn as necessary.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Venison sausage

Venison sausage recipe, a naturally lower fat sausage and a use liberally food, because we added no sugars or starch fillers .

You might try with low fat ground beef, ground pork tenderloin, chicken or turkey breast, but spices might need to be lowered, because venison has a bit stronger taste than beef. This is a mild sausage, if you like a hot sausage, increase the pepper flakes.

* 2 lb venison
* 3 teaspoons ground sage
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp black pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
* 2 teaspoons Splenda
Mix well, and I know of no other way than get your hands in there and mix and squeeze, refrigerate covered for 24 hours, cook a tiny bit and taste test, adjust spices to your taste, if needed. Cook or freeze. Cooked patties freeze well, and always ready to pop in the microwave for a fast breakfast with toast or a tortilla wrap.

cook sausage on MED as it will burn on high.

Safety handling tip, either wear disposable plastic gloves when mixing, or be sure to wash hands and clean under fingernails after mixing. I have put hands into a fold lock plastic bag for mixing.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Serves 4 or more and is a Use Freely food

• 1 package of broccoli, I used the 14 oz steam in bag I had found on sale, but 16 oz frozen or fresh will work.
  • 1 medium or large yellow sweet onion the more broccoli the more onion, I used a Vadelia onion, large
  • whipped butter or butter flavor margarine tub or squeeze bottle kind
  • 2 cans of fat free chicken broth low fat will do, but we are adding a lot of fat later
  • 1/2 cup of cottage cheese I used low fat small curd, would use fat free if I had any on hand. Again cause we are adding lots of fat later.
  • 1 cup of extra sharp cheddar cheese.
  • 1/2 cup half and half YEP there is your fat!
  • sprinkle of garlic powder, to your taste.
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, or to taste adds that hickory flavor of bacon

Chop onion, sautee it in microwave with 1 Tbs of the butter or margarine. Add this to your soup pot, add in the 2 cans of chicken broth. Add your Broccoli taking note of the level of broth. Cook untill tender. You could add the spices at this stage and have a lovely veg soup if you like. Add water to return level of liquid to starting possition, how much depends on how fast and long you boiled the broccoli.

While broccoli is cooking, put your half and half and cottage cheese into blender jar and whhirl untill the curds dissapear. Remove the broccoli from heat when done, and add the half and half mix. stir in the cheese, but be sure the soup is not on the heat at the time. It will melt with some stirring. Add another TBS of the butter/ margarine. Remove some of the broccoli and soup and whirl in blender and return to the soup if you want. Add your spices and serve.

NOW this is not as thick as your regular broccoli cheese soup, I have not found a thickener that will not add too many carbs even for a 5x5. the "mouth feel" is a bit different, and it will seperate with the milk butter floating to top, but the taste is lovely. Just stir immediately before serving. Anyone guess what I will have for lunch today??

Hope you enjoy, would love suggestions for a thickener.

KW
Old 08-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Katoo
Stats: 194/176/145
WOE: Metabolic Miracle
Start Date: August 1, 2009
This is an adaptation of the Pasta-Free Veggie Lasagne from the book. It's all a freebie and perfect for Step One.

Vegetable Lasagne Pasta-free Casserole

1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into cubes
2 cloves garlic (or more if you love the stuff)
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped up
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan
2 cups low-fat mozzarella
About 10 ounces lean ground beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, whatever your preference
1/2 cup red wine
Oregano, basil, salt, pepper

In large skillet, put a bit of cooking spray and a bit of olive oil and saute all the veggies except spinach and tomatoes and your ground meat until browned. Add oregano, basil, s+p to taste, and add 1/2 cup dry red wine (or water, or broth), continue to stir frequently until wine cooks down. Add tomatoes and remove from heat.

In small bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella, the parmesan and the spinach (along with a little s+p).

If your skillet can't go into the oven, put meat/veggie mixture into casserole dish. Spoon the cheese mixture in big gloppy spoonfuls over the top, and then top the whole thing with the remaining mozzarella. Pop under the broiler until cheese melts and is bubbly.

Let it set a few minutes before serving.

This would easily serve six hungry people. I bet it would freeze well, too.

Last edited by Katoo; 08-02-2009 at 09:17 AM..
Katoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Peanut butter "cookies"

I am not sure I should post this, might should just destroy it and never think of it again. Peanut butter fans like me might find it addictive.

PEANUT BUTTER "COOKIES" use on step 1, as a 5x5
  • 1 teaspoon Butter flavor legal margarine or whipped butter
  • 2 Tablespoons natural peanut butter
  • 1 Tablespoon Splenda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 Tortilla, 5 gram net carbs or less

If your peanut butter is not soft and easily spreadable, (the bottom of the jar gets firmer sometimes) heat in microwave a few seconds to soften. Add the butter, splenda and vanilla. Spread over 1/2 of the tortilla. fold in half, warm gently, and slice into 4 triangles. This is rather high fat, but I had after a salad with a bit of fat free ham and a 0 carb fat free dressing , and I ate all 4 of them! If you are eating after a meal with more fat, try to limit to 2 and save 2 for later.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Summer Squash Casserole

Summer Squash Casserole
2 servings
5x5 recipe

• 3 cups sliced cooked summer squash, I use yellow, but white patty pan, or zucchini or a mix will work.
  • 1 Medium onion, sliced
  • 2 slices low carb bread ( or an amount to equal 10 carbs)
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, low fat other cheeses will work for a different flavor
  • 2 eggs or equivalent egg whites or substitute, or a mix. I used 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. At least part real eggs bind this better I think.

Crumb your bread in a blender. Saute the onion in butter or butter taste marg, or "water fry". Beat your eggs till well blended. Put all ingredients into a 2 quart casserole, stir well, and bake at 350 * F till cheese melts and eggs are set, test with a toothpick to be sure. Pop under broiler to brown off the top if desired.

Serve with a green salad and a glass of tea for a light dinner or a lunch. Keeps well, reheats in microwave on med power.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Katoo
Stats: 194/176/145
WOE: Metabolic Miracle
Start Date: August 1, 2009
Taco Pie

(5x5 tortilla used in recipe)

4 Servings

2 low-carb tortillas (I use Extreme Wellness)

The filling:
3/4 pound very lean ground beef
1 bell pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
2 chipotle in adobo peppers (my can says 3 peppers are 4 carbs, 3 of which are fiber, so I think of this as a freebie)
1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
1 heaping tablespoon cumin
1 tsp salt

Brown all of the above in a pam-sprayed skillet, then put in a colander and let any grease drain out and put back into skillet. Add 1/2 a can of light beer (you could use water, I like the tang the beer adds to the dish) put on medium heat and let liquid cook down.

Preheat oven to 350.
Put a tortilla in the bottom of a pie pan. Put in the meat filling. Add 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar and put another tortilla on top. Bake about 10 minutes until cheese melts.

Toppings:

I topped mine with low-fat sour cream, chopped olives, about 2 tablespoons salsa, 1/4 of a large ripe Florida avocado cut into cubes (the low-fat type, you know - they are big and thin skinned) - this is topping for the whole pie.

Slice into wedges. Serve warm.

Really tasty and kids really love this.
Katoo is offline   Reply With Quote