Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #31
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: wisteria1956
WOE: MM Step 2
Start Date: 7.28.09
Vegetable Frittata

I modified our favoite weekend breakfast where I used to cook up the vegetables and scramble in eggs. I like to precook the veggies this way because the baking time is much less than other frittata recipes I've found. I usually cook this while I'm making another dinner - then we have it for the week.

Vegetable Frittata

1 orange or yellow pepper sliced (makes you think you see more egg
2 med. zucchini quartered and sliced
about 10 mushrooms sliced
handfull frozen chopped spinach
1 can green chilis drained (optional)
1 can artichoke hearts drained (optional)
2 handfulls reduced-fat shredded cheese. We like Mexican.
9 eggs
1 or 2 low-carb tortillas depending on the size. A large one is 6 grams, so it's less than 1 gram per serving

In large skillet melt low-fat butter (We use Smart Balance)
begin to saute the veggies with the ones that need longer to cook first. I put them in that order above. Meantime, beat eggs and add torn up tortilla to the eggs to use as a binder.

When veggies are tender, stir in egg mixture and 2 handfulls of cheese. If your pan is oven proof, stir everything around and smooth it out for baking. Otherwise, pour into a baking dish with straight sides. I like my round pan because I cut this up into pie-shaped servings.

Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until edges are golden and eggs are firm.

I make this once or twice a week and we have the leftovers for breakfast or lunch for 4 days for the two of us. Microwave a slice for 1 minute if you want it warm. Great with a bit of salsa and a little scoop of cottage cheese on the side. Tons of free veggies and only 1 egg and less than 1 carb per serving. Very healthy, satisfying and delicious!

Hope you like it!
wisteria1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tutu1995
Stats: 167/151.5/135
WOE: Metabolism Miracle Step 2
Start Date: July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuguelet View Post
This is yummy! I use it as a side to my Asian Lettuce Wraps! Whether this is considered free or a 5x5 depends on the amount of carbs in the broth you use. Here is a recipe for no carb stock.

4 cups chicken broth or stock (I use low sodium)
2 eggs beaten
2 -3 Tbsp chopped green onions
salt and pepper to taste

Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add green onion and boil for 1 minute. Slowly add the beaten eggs into the broth while quickly stirring the broth with a whisk or a fork (this prevents the eggs from clumping). Continue to stir until eggs are cooked. Salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 1-cup servings.

I had never had egg drop soup until I found the MM. Love it!
tutu1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tutu1995
Stats: 167/151.5/135
WOE: Metabolism Miracle Step 2
Start Date: July 2009
Spinach Egg Drop Zuppa

Spinach Egg Drop Zuppa
By Laura Fernandez

Makes 4 servings:

1- 32 oz container of Chicken Broth
1- Bag of Spinach
4- Eggs
2oz-Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Bring Chicken Broth to a boil and add spinach. Beat eggs and then slowly pour into pot and give a little stir. When you see the egg is cooked then add the Shredded Parmesan Cheese, salt and pepper to taste.

For a different version add sliced mushrooms when you add the spinach.
tutu1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #34
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Nell
Stats: 364/317/175
WOE: Metabolism Miracle STEP ONE
Start Date: 08/6/2009
Very Basic Onion Soup

3-4 Onions (depending on size)
4 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons butter
salt to taste

The onions have to be precooked.

Cut the onions paper thin in rings (or half rings)
Melt the butter and cook the onions covered in the butter on low heat. You want them to cook until they look semi transparent and are lightly browned. Be careful not to overcook them.

Turn the heat off and let the onions sit for a couple of hours. Old recipes say to let them sit all day but I get scared of food poisoning.

Add the beef broth and simmer the soup for about a half hour or so until the onions are pretty much dissolved into the broth. Add salt to taste.

If you'd like to garnish this with low carb bread and cheese, it will be more like traditional french onion soup.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barb F.
Stats: 264/254/199
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/1/12
Thai Peanut Curry Skillet

I found this recipe on Linda's Lowcarb Recipe site. Makes 4 servings at 6g net carbs BUT that includes the green beans which are free for us. There's only 1/2 coconut milk for the whole recipe so I'm thinking this is a free recipe for us. Let me know what you think. I haven't made it yet but I am this weekend. I'm thinking it would be good with broccoli, bean sprouts, celery too. I'll let you know if I think it needs to be tweaked in any way.

THAI PEANUT TURKEY CURRY SKILLET
20 ounces ground turkey, 85% lean
1 clove garlic, minced
12 ounces fresh or frozen green beans, cooked
4 green onions, chopped

Sauce:
1 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon red Thai curry paste
1 tablespoon ginger, grated, or 1/8 teaspoon dry ginger
1 teaspoon fish sauce or soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons granular Splenda, optional
1/2 cup coconut milk

Mix the sauce ingredients in a measuring cup. In a large skillet or wok, brown the meat with the garlic; drain the grease. Add the green beans. Pour in the sauce mixture and mix well. Cook untl the vegetables are heated through. Sprinkle with the green onions.

Makes 4-6 servings

Last edited by Barb F.; 08-06-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Barb F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb F. View Post
I found this recipe on Linda's Lowcarb Recipe site. Makes 4 servings at 6g net carbs BUT that includes the green beans which are free for us. There's only 1/2 coconut milk for the whole recipe so I'm thinking this is a free recipe for us. Let me know what you think. I haven't made it yet but I am this weekend. I'm thinking it would be good with broccoli, bean sprouts, celery too. I'll let you know if I think it needs to be tweaked in any way.

THAI PEANUT TURKEY CURRY SKILLET
20 ounces ground turkey, 85% lean
1 clove garlic, minced
12 ounces fresh or frozen green beans, cooked
4 green onions, chopped

Sauce:
1 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon red Thai curry paste
1 tablespoon ginger, grated, or 1/8 teaspoon dry ginger
1 teaspoon fish sauce or soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons granular Splenda, optional
1/2 cup coconut milk

Mix the sauce ingredients in a measuring cup. In a large skillet or wok, brown the meat with the garlic; drain the grease. Add the green beans. Pour in the sauce mixture and mix well. Cook untl the vegetables are heated through. Sprinkle with the green onions.

Makes 4-6 servings
I checked the carb count for coconut milk and it's only 4 carbs per 1/2 cup. That would be 1 carb per serving if you ate 1/4 of the recipe, less than 1 if you ate 1/6. Kitchen Witch, What do you think? Does this look like a free food to you?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmy6
Cauliflower recipe modification

Tonight I swapped the 1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese in Diane's recipe for reduced fat cream cheese and it tasted wonderful.

Also, look for Dana Carpender's books on Amazon. She has several low carb cook books available that I have been using for about a year now and have had great success with most of them.

Kim
Kimmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TerinTX
Stats: 205/192.6/150?
Start Date: July 23, 2009/Sept. 17/?
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad

I adapted this from a recipe I found on the "Protein Power" site years ago. It is so good.
Use Freely

2 cups fresh broccoli (chopped)
2 cups fresh cauliflower (chopped)
4-6 slices cooked turkey bacon (crumbled)
1 C. 2% shredded cheese (calls for colby, I like cheddar)

Mix above ingredients.

Dressing:
3/4 C. lite mayo
2 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
1-3 packets artificial sweetner. (I use 1 Splenda)

Mix above ingredients with a wisk and pour over broccoli and cauliflower and mix well.

Enjoy!

I'm not sure how many servings it makes. I have about 3/4 C. with a meal, or sometimes for my snack.

Last edited by TerinTX; 08-06-2009 at 08:31 PM..
TerinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Dressing

Here is a dressing recipe that I use for my Broccoli Cauliflower salad posted below. I'm sure it would be good on other recipes. Any ideas?

Dressing:

3/4 C. lite mayo
2 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
1-3 packets of artificial sweetner (I use 1 Splenda)

Mix with a wisk.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Georgia Lee
Stats: 325/279/180
Start Date: Step 2 - 9/13/09
Bump, keep the recipes coming!
Georgia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitchenwitch
Stats: size 26W/size20-22W/size 14-16
WOE: Metabolism Miracle TWO
Start Date: July 14, 2009
TERIN, I think your dressing would make a good slaw dressing. thanks for the recipe.
kitchenwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitchenwitch
Stats: size 26W/size20-22W/size 14-16
WOE: Metabolism Miracle TWO
Start Date: July 14, 2009
Open faced Italian sandwich

Open face Italian sandwich

4 servings, a 5x5 food

• 1 1/2 pound lean ground meat. I use venison, but 85% or higher fat free ground beef would be fine.
  • garlic powder or minced garlic, to taste
  • Onion powder, to taste, I sprinkle both in heavily.
  • Italian seasoning or oregano, and thyme and basil combination.
  • About a cup of mixed peppers and onions, I use the frozen pepper stirfry kind.
  • 1 15 ioz size can of crushed tomatoes.
  • 1 slice of 5 carb bread, toasted, per serving
  • Shreded parmesean or part skim motzerella cheese.

Mix ground meat with the garlic, onion powder and Italian seasonings. Make into 4 equal patties. Fry over medium heat . Pour off any grease from pan, . Put in your peppers and onion, and cook till tender, adding olive oil if needed. Add your can of crushed tomatoes and more of the spices. Return the ground meat patties to pan. Simmer for about 10 minutes to marry the flavors.

Place slice of toast in plate, top with the meat patty, spoon on some of the sauce, add cheese and put in microwave if it will not mealt without it.

Serve with steamed veggies or a salad or coleslaw.

Hubby ate this with me, and he said I should remember how to make that one!

recipes link for step one
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-step-1-a.html
kitchenwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kater422
Stats: 183/167/150
Start Date: 8/3/2009
Fish "breading" recipe

Wisteria - I am copying your fish breading recipe from the MM thread because it sounds yummy and I don't want to lose it:

I have a fish 'breading' recipe that we love and it is very legal. I got it from Dr Perricone's book The Perricone Promise, which is full of great anti-inflammatory recipes.

I make about 4 times as much as I need for two pieces of fish and freeze the rest of the topping in meal-sized containers. It thaws out in a few minutes and that way I only do the chopping once a month or so.

Really quick if you have a food processer. It would probably work to do this in a blender as well.

1/2 cup almonds or hazelnuts
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely
1 T organic lemon zest (zest of one lemon) I bought a micro planer for this
1/4 cup parmesan
dash of sea salt and fresh pepper

I pulse the almonds, then add the parsley into the food processer. Mix the rest in a bowl and apply generously to the top of salmon or halibut fillets. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and bake at 350 for less than 10 minutes. (Check fish for flakiness to determine) The nuts should be browned, but not too dark.

Dr. Perricone dredges the fish then cooks it in the olive oil in a skillet, but it's messier to do it that way.

This is delicious! Use sea salt to add to the crunchiness and it's less sodium than table salt.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bonniebee
Stats: 160.5/151.5/135
WOE: MM
Start Date: July 27, 2009
I have not tried this yet, but a friend suggested:

large pepperoni's. Place on 3 paper towels and cover with 2. Microwave briefly to cook out the fat. This changes the consistency of the pepperoni and makes it spicier and crispy...like a cracker...and it is not greasy. Put garlic and herb cheese spread or other low carb spread on your pepperoni cracker and enjoy. I'm going to do that for a snack tonight.
bonniebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alinvegas
Stats: 190/163/130 (?)
Start Date: 8/8/09
Veggie Lasagna/Casserole Addendum

New here! posting to the main forum shortly, but just wanted to say that this is awesome if you roast all the veggies first instead of sauteeing - really intensifies the flavors.

I've made variations on this for years - usually use eggplant, zucchini/yellow squash, onions, lots of garlic (when you roast it the flavor really mellows out), peppers, mushrooms, basically anything low carb "legal" veg that will hold up in oven. Chop them in pretty even chunks, toss lightly in olive oil or PAM/etc spray, salt/pepper/italians seasonings, and roast at 350 degrees until "al dente" - that is tender but not cooked all the way bc you dont want them to be mush once you're finished cooking them with rest of the casserole/lasagna.

You can also roast tomatoes too instea of using a sauce or puree - in fact, roasting tomatoes makes cheap ones taste much better, so you can use those slightly pink looking romas on sale at the store!

Hope you enjoy, Alana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo View Post
This is an adaptation of the Pasta-Free Veggie Lasagne from the book. It's all a freebie and perfect for Step One.

Vegetable Lasagne Pasta-free Casserole

1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into cubes
2 cloves garlic (or more if you love the stuff)
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped up
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan
2 cups low-fat mozzarella
About 10 ounces lean ground beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, whatever your preference
1/2 cup red wine
Oregano, basil, salt, pepper

In large skillet, put a bit of cooking spray and a bit of olive oil and saute all the veggies except spinach and tomatoes and your ground meat until browned. Add oregano, basil, s+p to taste, and add 1/2 cup dry red wine (or water, or broth), continue to stir frequently until wine cooks down. Add tomatoes and remove from heat.

In small bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella, the parmesan and the spinach (along with a little s+p).

If your skillet can't go into the oven, put meat/veggie mixture into casserole dish. Spoon the cheese mixture in big gloppy spoonfuls over the top, and then top the whole thing with the remaining mozzarella. Pop under the broiler until cheese melts and is bubbly.

Let it set a few minutes before serving.

This would easily serve six hungry people. I bet it would freeze well, too.
Alinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alinvegas
Stats: 190/163/130 (?)
Start Date: 8/8/09
TVP Oatmeal

Just found this, thought some of you might be interested!

TVP "Oatmeal" Recipe - How to Make Low-Carb Oatmeal from TVP
Alinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #47
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Halibut Veracruz

Craving authentic Mexican food? Have tomatoes growing in your garden? This one is for you! Takes 10 minutes to prepare, plus chopping time, so maybe 15.

This is evidently a traditional dish in Mexico.

5 ripe tomatoes or 1 or 2 cans chopped toms, depending on how much fish you are making
1/2 c chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 c olive oil, divided
2 T capers
1 tsp. seeded and minced serrano chile - I used one chile
1/4 c sliced Spanish olives
1/4 tsp oregano
6 - 6oz. halibut fillets
salt and pepper
2 tsp. butter (I use Smart Balance)

Skip this part if you are using canned toms:

Place tomatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Turn, toms, bake 20 more mins. or until skins are blistered and lightly browned. Pulse tomatoes and pan juices in a food processor until roughly chopped.

Saute onion in 2 T olive oil 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and serrano, saute 15 seconds. Add olives, capers chopped toms, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 min. Remove from heat, stir in orgeano.

Sprinkle halibut with salt and pepper. Melt butter with remaining oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook halibut 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with sauce.

For sauce for 4 fillets, I used one can of chopped toms and kept the other ingredients about the same. Maybe I could have stretched the sauce more, but it was soooo good it was nice to be generous with it.

Served it with some sauted zucchini cooked at the same time so dinner took 15 minutes.

Last edited by wisteria1956; 08-10-2009 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: clarify
Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: texanbyheart
Stats: 209/165/140
Start Date: 8/1/2009
Salad Dressing or sauce for Chicken/Fish Tacos

Tofu, not mayonnaise, gives the healthy dressing featured below its silky texture without having the extra saturated fat. And the cilantro-lime flavor makes it a perfect summer accompaniment for Latin-inspired dishes like fish or chicken tacos.

Simply add shredded cabbage or radishes on top or spoon the dressing over a sliced avocado. Lemon juice works just as well and you can also swap fresh dill for the cilantro.

Ingredients: half a 10 oz container of soft silken tofu, drained; third cup of fresh lime juice; quarter cup of chopped shallots; 1 tbsp of grainy Dijon mustard; 1 tsp of cider vinegar; quarter cup of finely chopped cilantro, plus coarse salt and ground pepper to taste.

In a blender, combine tofu, lime juice, third cup of water, shallots, mustard, vinegar and half the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Blend on high speed until completely smooth. Stir in remaining cilantro and serve.
texanbyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenwitch View Post
TERIN, I think your dressing would make a good slaw dressing. thanks for the recipe.

Oh, that does sound good. I'm going to try that.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bonniebee
Stats: 160.5/151.5/135
Start Date: July 27, 2009
Jello/whipped cream pie

Crust

2 cups nuts...ground
3 Tbsp butter melted
1 Tbsp splenda

Mix the 3 together and press into pie plate. Bake 350 for 10 to 12 minutes.

FILLING

1 box SF Jello - any flavor (rasberry is very good)
8 oz SF Cool Whip (3 carbs)
OR
8 oz whipped cream made from 0 carb whipping cream and splenda (FREE)
water
ice

Boil 2/3 cups water
Mix this and the jello until dissolved
Combine water and ice to equal 1 cup
stir into jello mixuture and melt ice
Add Cool Whip or Whipped Cream and whisk until mixed
Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to thicken
Pour into crust
Cover and refridgerate overnight

If you make this with your own free whipped cream, this pie is FREE as it has no carbs
bonniebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kimpo101
Cream Cheese Clouds

Cream Cheese Clouds

8oz cream cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2-3/4 splenda (depending on how sweet you want them)
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring

beat all ingredients until fluffy and drop by bite size spoonfulls onto wax paper lined baking sheet. freeze until firm. store in freezer and eat frozen

2 clouds= 140cal, 14g fat, 2 protein, 2 carb, 0 fiber
kimpo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #52
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Taco Seasoning

Packaged taco seasoning has about 3 carbs so I made up my own. It's medium spicy and grows a bit on your tongue so taste test slowly before you add more

1.25 lbs. ground turkey breast, browned

3/4 c water
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

add above to browned meat and cook until liquid is absorbed. You can add salsa if preferred.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CherylD66
Stats: 218/209.5/150
Start Date: August 9, 2009
Turkey Kielbasa "Stir Fry"

I don't know why I call this a stir fry...I guess because I don't know how else to classify it! I used to make this with cubed potatoes and sliced carrots and serve it over rice...but...those are a no-no right now, so I took those out, and added cabbage.....it's very tasty...and totally free!!

1 lb. turkey kielbasa - thinly sliced into rounds
1/2 head of cabbage - thickly sliced
5 cloves of garlic - diced
1 white onion - sliced
1 bunch of broccoli - cut into bite size pieces
olive oil
1 can veggie broth
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
parsley
basil
sage
rosemary
thyme

In a large pot, over medium-high heat, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan...don't skimp too much. Add the garlic, kielbasa and cabbage. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.

Sautee until cabbage starts to wilt. (I like my veggies on the crunchy side, so cook longer if you like them softer) Add the onions and cook until translucent.

Add veggie broth, broccoli, herbs and spices (to taste) and cook to desired tenderness.

That's it! Very simple! Experiment with your favorite veggies to make it your own!
CherylD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Lemon Cheesecake Treat

I just threw this together last night so the measurements are approximate. Add or subtract sweetener and extract to your liking. Try other extracts too!

1/3 c. whipped Philly cream cheese
3-4 T light cream
few drops liquid Splenda or 1-2 packets
1/2 t lemon extract

Beat at high speed, pour into bowl and refrigerate for a little while.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #55
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Nell
Stats: 364/317/175
WOE: Metabolism Miracle STEP ONE
Start Date: 08/6/2009
Flax Crackers

Ingredients:
•1 cup flax seed meal
•1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
•1 and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/2 cup water
Preparation:
Heat oven to 400 F.

1) Mix all ingredients together.

2) Spoon onto sheet pan which is covered with a silicone mat or greased parchment paper.

3) Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Even out the mixture to about 1/8 inch. I find a straight edge, like a ruler, works well, though you can use a rolling pin or wine bottle too. The important thing is not to let it be too thin around the edges or that part will overcook before the center firms up. So after you spread it out, remove the paper and go around the edges with your finger and push the thin part inwards to even it up.

4) Bake until the center is no longer soft, about 15-18 minutes. If it starts to get more than a little brown around the edges, remove from oven. Let cool completely - it will continue to crisp up.

5) Break into pieces
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #56
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Choco/Peanut/Coconut Shake

Oh, boy! Did I ever get my first attempt at a shake down pat! Puts Atkins to shame! The challenge was the base - didn't want to use soy milk, etc. because of the carbs. Silken Tofu was a great choice. Makes a generous 12+ oz. glass and adds up to 4 carbs.

4 oz. Silken tofu = 0 carbs and makes it smooth!
1/4 c Lite coconut milk = 1 carb
1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein powder = 3 carbs
2 heaping T cocoa - free
2 T natural peanut butter - free
2 tsp vanilla
1 T ground flax seed - free
handfull of ice

No splenda! Yippee!

Last edited by wisteria1956; 08-14-2009 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: add
Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #57
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Mock Mashed Potatoes Variation

This one seems to be more popular with some than the one in our book:

Mock Mashed Potatoes

1 medium head cauliflower
1 tablespoon softened reduced fat cream cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan
1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.

Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 to 8 minutes or until well done. Strain well; do not let cool. Pat the cooked cauliflower, between several layers of paper towels, until they're completely dry.

Using a hand held blender or a food processor, puree the hot cooked cauliflower with the cream cheese, parmesan, chicken base and pepper until almost smooth.

Serve hot with whole butter pats and chives or with gravy just like real mashed potatoes!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissykay0583
Stats: 185/181/140
Start Date: Aug 2009
Easy Microwave Flax Crackers

You ladies talking about these sent me on a hunt for an easy recipe. These are so awesome with cheese, peanut butter, salsa anything you can think of. My toddlers call them cookies...lol.

2 tbs Flax
1 tbs parm
sprinkle of season salt
1 tbs water
1 tbs sesame seeds ( optional)

Form into a dough and seperate into whatever size/shape you like. Flatten them out and microwave for one minute... checking on them around the 20 second mark to make sure they aren't burning. Enjoy!
I didn't use the sesame and they were good without it, but sure it would add some extra flavor.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hipchick
Stats: 197/194/125
Start Date: August 10, 2009
Zucchini Fries

This is from memory from Suzanne Somers 'Somersizing" so it may be off a little:

Zucchini - cut into 'french fry' size sticks
EVOO
Grated Parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning - optional

Mix the EVOO with the grated parm & seasoning in large bowl. Coat the zucchini sticks evenly with the EVOO & parm mixture (should look somewhat like battered sticks).

Spread in even layer on cookie sheet and bake in oven at about 350 degrees until the parm is golden brown & crispy.
hipchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Lemon Cheesecake Pie Filling

This is pretty much the same as the Lemon Cheesecake Treat but enough to fill a pie shell. Adjust lemon extract and sweetener to taste.

16 oz. Whipped Philly Creamcheese
1 cup lite cream
2 t. lemon extract
14 drops EZ-Sweetz (liquid sucralose) I'm guessing 1/2 c. Splenda
Zest of 1 small lemon

Whip all together at high speed. Pour into cool piecrust and chill in fridge.