Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: need2lose20
whey protein and weight loss???

Hi every1,
i am wondering if anyone has used whey protein to lose some weight? If so, how many pounds did u lose? how fast did you lose the pounds?? how many shakes did you have per day?? if some1 can help me , tat will be great!!! thxs sooo much...
-in desperate need to lose some lbs.
need2lose20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slendercate
Stats: 188/177/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: January 2014
Hi,
I have been seriously lcing since last year and I use whey protein shakes all the time.

I especially like them at breakfast, since I can "mix" them with lc milk, add firbersmart and drink them on the way to work.

I also take a whey shake for my afternoon snack, driving home. I just keep it in the fridge at work, then drink on the way home. Fills me up so I am not as hungry when I cook dinner.

I like to incorporate lean protein & non-starchy veggies for the other two meals a day, but the shakes are a good, fast option for great protein in a hurry.

My favorite is Isopure protein, like the way it mixes with most any beverage.

I still lose pretty steadily, I don't think anything works "overnight".

Good luck,

Cate
Old 03-25-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
Mr. Nice Guy

Gallery: Tyrone Bill
Stats: 350/270/200
WOE: Protein Power Plan
Start Date: May '02(370/185/170) Restart: 06/1/09(350/270/200)
I pretty much use it the same way Cate uses it. I've never really kept any records as to its affectiveness. I just use it for the convenience. I never worry about time limits in losing weight. Its hard enough to lose fat without the added stress of losing it by a certain date.
Tyrone Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I'm going to shake it up a bit here and would LOVE to hear your opinions. After reading a body building website, I chose casein protein rather than whey. The reason is that they said whey protein was the MOST glucogenic (most easily turned into glucose) and casein was the LEAST. Casein is milk protein and is very slowly assimilated over about a 12 hour period whereas whey takes less than 4 hours. A lot of body builders use whey after a workout as it helps quickly with muscle repair. Casein is a slow protein and will stave off hunger for a longer period. I also makes a very nice, thick, creamy shake. I use Optimum Nutrition's. It has 24 grams of protein and 2 carbs per serving.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melsreturn
Stats: 251/129/130
WOE: Moderate Carbs/Low Calorie
Start Date: May 2006
I do protein drinks every single day. My favorite is Champion Pure Whey Stack Chocolate. It is very good; tastes like Nestle Instant Chocolate Milk Mix that kids drink... and sometimes, I will add a shot of espresso to it... OR sometimes I will also make an iced mocha doing this:

2 oz Hood Calorie Countdown Milk
6-8 oz of water depending on how thin you want it
1/2 scoop of chocolate pro powder
1/8 scoop of Syntha 6 BSN Mochachino powder

i do not use much of the Syntha cause it does have 200 calories per scoop; Champion Chocolate has 130 per scoop... but the combo is really good for a mocha
melsreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: socialgym
I use muscle milk (chocolate flavor) and it is delicious. They say on the label that it tastes just like a milkshake and it pretty much does. It has whey protein and is also packed with vitamins and minerals.

Try taking it as a meal substitution (one shake is only 300 calories) and if you're looking to tone up a bit (which is great for weight loss: 1 pound muscle= 50 calories burned per day) then take it before and after your workout though). Whey protein fills you up quickly, making it difficult to overeat because you feel full fast. So if you have problems overeating, and want to tone up a bit, definitely incorporate it into your diet.
socialgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dixie7
I've been drinking Almond Breeze and whey/soy protein shakes and I love it! So easy and taste so good. I've been drinking two shakes a day in the place of breakfast and lunch and eating regular dinners so far i've lost 2 lbs a week. lets see how Thanksgiving goes. here is a funny graphic I'd like to share. Vain Women Funny Forward
dixie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hiker1958
WOE: just trying to stay fit and manage my diabetes
i use strawberry whey powder,i use it not for wieght loss,but for muscle maintanance and muscle growth.

Last edited by hiker1958; 11-18-2009 at 06:48 AM..
hiker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KevinK
If your question is, Will Whey Protein lose weight? No whey protein doesn't directly burns fat, but the good thing is that it will HELP you lose weight. You have to take 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day to lose weight by increasing the metabolism. It is very much hard to take 6 whole food meals, so you can supplement it with protein powders or MRP's. Protein powders are also a lean source of protein, if you eat red meat for protein, it contains a lot of fat, same with the chicken legs. But protein powders have less fat in it. You can take 3 whole meals, 2 protein shakes and 1 MRP (Meal Replacement Powder) a day spaced 2-3 hours to boost your metabolism and burn more fat.
If you are a weight trainer you can mix it with water for the post workout meal for the faster release. All other times you can mix your whey protein with milk as the casein present in milk will slows down the release of protein. Hope this helped!
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Samsku
i'm from the uk and i've started a shake called celebrity slim,is anyone else on it?its fantastic i usualy have one in the morning (very yummy) and one for lunch then a balanced low carb meal for dinner and i low carb desert like a dob of natural low fat yogurt with a few blue berries ! yum
Samsku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: QueenSue
I am on a high protein - low carb plan with a doctor and lost 40 pounds since Oct. I use Jay Robb whey protein powder mixed with 1/4 c, water and 1/4 c half and half usually as a quick breakfast. It is delicious and is worth three servings of protein. Also good at night if you are hungry before bed.
QueenSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: johndenver3210
I take Pro-Complex. I wouldn't recommend only drinking a protein shake though. Each serving is 2 scoops but I usually take one in the morning and one before bed.

Note: I mix mine with water and not milk for less calories and it tastes great.
johndenver3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Yep, I have. its like eating tofu instead of meat..
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker1958 View Post
i use strawberry whey powder,i use it not for wieght loss,but for muscle maintanance and muscle growth.
looks like it is working
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Hhi Why is everybody confuse of whey protein long time ago i also confuse that kind of protein until such time i made a research due to doubt and it come up......the fact is that whey is indeed a complicated protein.you will know all you need to know regarding the differences in whey.

When we talk about whey we are actually referring to a complex ingredient made up of protein, lactose, fat and minerals. Protein is the best known component of whey and is made up of many smaller protein subfractions such as: Beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, immunoglobulins (IgGs), glycomacropeptides, bovine serum albumin (BSA) and minor peptides such as lactoperoxidases, lysozyme and lactoferrin. Each of the subfractions found in whey has its own unique biological properties.

Whey protein has become a staple supplement for most bodybuilders and other athletes, and for good reason: it's a great protein with a wide variety of benefits. Whey has more recently caught on with the anti-aging/longevity-minded groups also.
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
do you mean "second group drank protein shakes made from soy" is your last sentence?
Seem to be a word missing . . . .
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love2Lift
Stats: 193/185/150
WOE: Atkins / protein powder
Start Date: 23rd July 2013
Great to read this thread. I'm SERIOUSLY starting low carb, started today after reducing carbs for the last few days.

Am using protein shakes and a meal. Have got casein as well as whey so might have casein for one meal - as this makes sense the post earlier about casein taking longer to digest - I use that occasionally before bed for muscle recover but am not as keen on it.

Also have cut the milk out of my shakes - I use milk to make them thicker / nicer. so water and ice only from now on in.

Great to know I'm not crazy thinking this will work.
Love2Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zedest
Stats: 210/170/150
Start Date: april 2013
i been doing a low carb diet since april and have had good results, but i recently started slowing down the weight loss and was interested in whey protein for more weight loss, but have a couple questions. do you replace a meal with a shake or can you have a shake with (for ex) breakfast? how long between meals and a shake do you wait before having either? I do weight train and exercise if that makes a difference. im also new to this site so hello btw
zedest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Havefaith9
Stats: HW: 217 199.5/188.5/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: April 2014
whey protein and weight loss???

I also just bought some whey protein and am going to use it like Slimfast. 2 drinks per day plus a low carb meal.

My daughter is on Body by vi. Seems to be popular right now. I can't get on track with low carb, so I'm hoping if I have limited options and see the weight come off I will stay on track better.

I've lost 40 and kept it off since last year. Just want to get another 40 off. Am anxious to hear what others have to say about whey protein.

Faith
Havefaith9 is offline   Reply With Quote