Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbiAnn View Post
I bought the book and tried it for a week. I gained 3 lbs, and it thru my system into a tailspin. I am 65 and I think this diet works for a much younger person. Also you cant get much info from him. He is on face book and there are a few people there who can probably help. I followed a modified atkins diet (I dont count anything. Just eat meat and veggies, no sugar or starches.) and lost 20 lbs since April. After gaining over the holidays and fooling around with the BFC, I am back on what works. Good Luck
I am in the same position - just a bit older, though!! I didn't gain over the holidays, but the 20 pounds I lost from June to September haven't increased any. After re-reading some other low carbs books that I have had for years I am back to good Ol' Doctor Atkins. This might be a good maintenance way of eating, though.

Good Luck!!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Carb Chicklady View Post
So if I have a serving of grains that is 21 grams of carbs, which I must count as 2 of my servings, I could actually add something with an additional 18 grams of carbs to keep it under 40 and still count it as 2 servings?
That is correct. I just looked in the book and he says you have to be very exact in your carb counts. 21 is 2 so I would definitely add in more to get closer to 40 otherwise you lose them!!! if you feel like you need the extra food. It isn't hard to get to 20 carbs when you do not subtract the fiber from veggies.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koltov View Post
Just occurred to me about your question: wouldn't 15 grams of carbs be TWO servings rather than one? Isn't it 5-10 = 1 and 10-20 grams = 2 servings?

So the question is whether the 3 vegetables of 5 grams each would be 3 of allowed 6 servings or 2 of the allowed 6 servings? (does that make sense?)

It's anything under 5 is free. 5-20 is 1 21-40 is 2
While I love the flexibility this plan allows, and it IS working for my husband, I think this perimenopausal chick is going to have to Atkin-ize it.
Low-Carb Chicklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbiAnn
Stats: 200/195/150
WOE: Modified Atkins/CAD
Start Date: April 2009
He really makes everything sound easy. BUT you have to count everything, especially veggies. Some have sugar and they don't come with a label. Also he uses products that you can only find online. Which mean in order to enjoy cooking, you have to stock up on everything. Also he doesn't go into dinning out easily. I am not just talking about fast food. I like to go out with friends, we go to this very nice Italian Restaurant where the pasta is especially good. For those of you who have had good luck on this plan, would you please share more about how you actually eat everyday. In the mean time, I'll stick with Doctor A.

Last edited by DebbiAnn; 01-23-2010 at 08:42 AM..
DebbiAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

I notice that he is big on lean meats too. He may not count calories, but I bet they are pretty low.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wndrwmn67
Stats: 272/249/??? Under 200, please!
WOE: The Belly Fat Cure
Start Date: Restart: July 8, 2013
Loving this WOE

I have been on this WOE for one week and am down 11 lbs!!!!! I LOVE this way of eating and I find it soooo easy! I wish I had found it sooner! I have a long way to go, but I think I have finally found the answer with The Belly Fat Cure.

Jorge has several videos on YouTube that are very helpful. On one of them, he is shopping at Costco and saying that classic Lays Potato Chips and Doritos are okay. I'm a big snacker and knowing that I can have something like that on plan is a huge plus!

Oh, and I bought the book last week at Sam's Club and it was only $12.88!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #307
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kaimi2008
Stats: 197.2/181.0/155 (for now) 5'6"
WOE: Diet To Go
Start Date: November 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndrwmn67 View Post
I have been on this WOE for one week and am down 11 lbs!!!!! I LOVE this way of eating and I find it soooo easy! I wish I had found it sooner! I have a long way to go, but I think I have finally found the answer with The Belly Fat Cure.

Jorge has several videos on YouTube that are very helpful. On one of them, he is shopping at Costco and saying that classic Lays Potato Chips and Doritos are okay. I'm a big snacker and knowing that I can have something like that on plan is a huge plus!

Aazon has it for $10 Congrats on your loss! I'm reading the book as well but unfortunately, a LOT of the foods we can't get here so I will continue calorie counting....(for now)....just started. I'm struggling to get the last of my weight off and that's why I switched from WW to calorie counting. It's working!!! I told dh that I might use his ratio along with counting calories Feb. 1st too see how it goes. ANY plan will work but you have too stick to it and do it the right way!!

"What you eat in private is what you wear in public."
Kaimi2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #308
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kaimi2008
Stats: 197.2/181.0/155 (for now) 5'6"
WOE: Diet To Go
Start Date: November 1, 2013
Quote:

I forgot, did you take measurements before?
Kaimi2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steelslady
Stats: 292/283/180
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: August 10, 2010 restart May 6, 2012
Good afternoon everyone. I am new to this board (signed up the other day when looking for others who are doing this diet, too!) and have made it a MUST read everyday! You folks are great and it's wonderful to read all of your wisdom and experiences through all the low carb plans.

I am a new "Cruiser" myself- started on 1/21/10 and have lost 6 pounds so far. Although he allows you to eat up to 120 carbs and 15 grams of sugar a day I have yet to use all of my carbs and sugars. Highest I've gone for carbs is around 45 but I will some days be higher than that as time goes on. I don't really consider it a diet as I still get to have my 1 Peppermint Pattie and 1 Coconut chocolate (both sugar free of course!) a day so I am happy with that.

For those who are worried about finding products in the stores- don't worry about it. I bought the Zevia- not worth it to me. The orange flavor is good but it has 11 carbs in it! I know it's made from Stevia but to me that is a bit too high in carbs for one drink. I just make my iced tea and add Pruvia to it- 3 grams of carbs compared to 11 in Zevia- easy choice there.

Also I plan on experimenting in the future with soda water, Pruvia, and lemon and lime to see if I can make my own soda with less carbs and no calories. I am going to buy some root beer extract and try that out as well. Our store used to have an orange extract but I can't remember if they got rid of it or not so I'll have to check. I do miss my Diet Orange Crush soda so this might be an option. If I can make it home made for less carbs and and no sugars it will surely be cheaper than buying the Zevia at $5.99 for 6 cans which I think is just ridiculous!

Also- if you hanker for pancakes or low carb bread options that you can make at home I recommend Carb Quik. Unfortunately they don't sell it around here so I have to buy mine on the internet, but I have read on other message boards that some folks have bought it at stores near them. Our store used to sell Arrowroot Soy Flour but they got rid of it 6 months ago so I just use my Carb Quik and make up a batch of pancakes and freeze the ones I'm not eating for other days when I want pancakes. They sell it on their site for $11.99 I believe- it's for a 3 pound box which is much better for me than buying the older 1 lb box version. My youngest daughter loves their pancakes and cheese biscuits- they really taste good.

Also- we have a company called Joseph's that sells low carb pita breads (8 grams of carbs and 0 sugars per pita round) and tortilla shells (11 grams of carbs and 1 gram of sugar). Low carb bread is also available by Pepperidge Farms Carb Style- their 7 grain bread has 8 carbs per slice and no sugar in it. I don't use them every day but when I'm hankering for a sandwich I use these. Plus they have fiber in them which you need a on a low carb diet and it can be difficult to get all of your fiber in when so many veggies have a lot of sugar in them.

I hope I've been of help to others about the products he uses that aren't available. Please don't worry about them- there are other alternatives out there that you can buy- some to which you may have in your cabinets already. He may recommend them but you don't have to use them. Just follow the 15 sugars/ no more than 120 grams of carbs per day and you'll be fine. Also- I count EVERY carb I eat. I total the meal up and figure out how many carb servings it's worth just to keep me honest. I don't use the "free carbs" system as knowing me I'd find a way to cheat on it and gain weight.

Have a great day everyone! Looking forward to hearing how others are doing on this!
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #310
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: koltov
Stats: 243/235/180
WOE: Jorge Cruise
Start Date: January 10, 2010
Finding it difficult on the carbs

I must definitely be doing something wrong in counting....since so many vegetables have some carbs, it also eats away at the 6 servings.

I guess part of the problem is that I'm a picky eater. I don't eat eggs, so that does me in for breakfast. I bought some Trader Joe's "Joe's O's" a Cheerio's type of cereal that has more fiber than the Cheerios (and less carbs). But even so, 1/2 cup cereal has 2 of my 6 allowed carbs. I ate a cup of string beans...that's 8 gr. of carbs or 1 serving. So now I'm up to 3 of my six servings for the day and it's not even past lunch. I bought the Ghiradelli very dark chocolate...1 square has 1 carb serving...so while that takes away my sweet tooth, now I've used 4 of my 6 carb servings. It doesn't seem to take much for me to reach the 6 servings!

What are you all eating during the day to satisfy your hunger but not go over the 6 servings of carbs?

Last edited by koltov; 01-25-2010 at 02:29 PM..
koltov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wndrwmn67
Stats: 272/249/??? Under 200, please!
WOE: The Belly Fat Cure
Start Date: Restart: July 8, 2013
Just remember that ANYTHING that has from 0 to 4 carbs COUNTS AS ZERO. You do not have to count those things that have only 1, 2, 3, or 4 carbs per serving unless you are eating more than one serving. I hope that helps.

Deana
wndrwmn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Ours looks something like this

bkfst: 2 slices french toast 2 sausage links 2 slices bacon 2/1
lunch: 2 sandwiches homemade chicken veggie soup 5/2
dinner: meat/poultry/fish veggie small potato 4/1
snack: popcorn 0/1
snack : cookies (hubby) big salad (me) 4/1
Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #313
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WyoPrairieChick
Stats: 213/213/140
WOE: Crack The Fat Loss Code
Start Date: Everyday is a NEW day, NEW start!
Weight-By-Date

OK, I'm getting serious here!

I just re-installed a program called Weight-By-Date onto my computer. It syncs with my Palm T/X, so I can have all the information I want on both locations.

I set it to watch my
  • Carbs (120g)
  • Fiber (30g)
  • Sugar (15g)

I can put in NEW foods and their label info - WooHoo!
GET'n SERIOUS about this!

Last edited by WyoPrairieChick; 01-25-2010 at 03:42 PM..
WyoPrairieChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #314
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Ours looks something like this

bkfst: 2 slices french toast 2 sausage links 2 slices bacon 2/1
lunch: 2 sandwiches homemade chicken veggie soup 5/2
dinner: meat/poultry/fish veggie small potato 4/1
snack: popcorn 0/1
snack : cookies (hubby) big salad (me) 4/1
Wow...how does 1 slice of french toast have only 1 serving (5-10 grams of carbs)? What kind of bread are you using? I',m guessing what you gave above was combined for both of you. What kind of sandwiches are you making and what kind of bread?

Also, how did you make your veggie soup and what kinds of vegetables? It through me for a loop today when I read that one cup of string beans has 8 grams of carbs (1 serving). So for the soup, if you start adding carrots, string beans, etc., that can pump up the carbs....and if you use any tomatoes that will shoot up sugar as well.

I need to read some more on this diet along with his suggestions. I'm doing pretty well keeping within limits, but not losing the weight. I'm stuck at the 7pounds :-(
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #315
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Just remember that ANYTHING that has from 0 to 4 carbs COUNTS AS ZERO. You do not have to count those things that have only 1, 2, 3, or 4 carbs per serving unless you are eating more than one serving. I hope that helps.

Deana
Ya know...this is another thing on the diet I don't quite understand. 0-4 carbs counts as zero, but if you have 3 times a day where you're snacking on something that has 4 carbs, you're up to 2 additional servings.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #316
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Ya know...this is another thing on the diet I don't quite understand. 0-4 carbs counts as zero, but if you have 3 times a day where you're snacking on something that has 4 carbs, you're up to 2 additional servings.
The serving and what it does to your insulin is what counts, thus 0-4 is not something to consider or even count. If it is spread out over the day, your insulin will not spike.

Now, if you had a whole meal of this, then you would have to count the meal as a whole for the carb count.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow...how does 1 slice of french toast have only 1 serving (5-10 grams of carbs)? What kind of bread are you using? I',m guessing what you gave above was combined for both of you. What kind of sandwiches are you making and what kind of bread?

Also, how did you make your veggie soup and what kinds of vegetables? It through me for a loop today when I read that one cup of string beans has 8 grams of carbs (1 serving). So for the soup, if you start adding carrots, string beans, etc., that can pump up the carbs....and if you use any tomatoes that will shoot up sugar as well.

I need to read some more on this diet along with his suggestions. I'm doing pretty well keeping within limits, but not losing the weight. I'm stuck at the 7pounds :-(
1 serving of carbs is 20 grams, not 10. We use Alvarado st bakery...Flax essentials....2 slices is 15 carbs.
Again with the chicken soup..... I make a pot that holds 8 servings. I use 30 grams worth of mixed vegetables for the pot.....so less than 4 grams per serving...FREE
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingwell
Can someone clarify the use of "free" foods WITH a meal in which you are COUNTING the carb servings? Say, for example, you have a meal with potatoes, meat, and broccoli. If the serving of broccoli was under 5 carbs, you would only count the potatoes? If you had broccoli AND a salad (also under 5 carbs) would you add another carb serving (since now you are up to 10 carbs plus your potatoes)...that seems logical to me, but I just want to know how others would count things.

Also, in terms of protein and fat--does he give any guidelines?

I hope I've made sense. Thanks in advance. I haven't really tried this--still trying to work my "other" plan, but I'm consuming (IMO) too many calories to ever achieve any weight reduction.
gettingwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:14 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingwell View Post
Can someone clarify the use of "free" foods WITH a meal in which you are COUNTING the carb servings? Say, for example, you have a meal with potatoes, meat, and broccoli. If the serving of broccoli was under 5 carbs, you would only count the potatoes? If you had broccoli AND a salad (also under 5 carbs) would you add another carb serving (since now you are up to 10 carbs plus your potatoes)...that seems logical to me, but I just want to know how others would count things.

Also, in terms of protein and fat--does he give any guidelines?

I hope I've made sense. Thanks in advance. I haven't really tried this--still trying to work my "other" plan, but I'm consuming (IMO) too many calories to ever achieve any weight reduction.

I've been asking that in different ways for a while. Looking at his recipes, I can only gather that he adds all the items in a meal together to calculate toatal carbs (the potato, veggies, etc) That's the way I do it for my husband, and it works for him. I'm only eating half the allowed carbs, cause menopause bites!!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingwell
Thanks...looking back through the thread it looks like Deana posted things under 5 g are free as long as you only eat ONE serving. It still doesn't directly address the combo situation where you only have 5 g of a free food, but it sounds like if you have 10 g of what would be a "free" food, you count it as a serving...I hope that makes sense.

Since you are not using the full amount of carb servings, how are you counting your sugar?
gettingwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #321
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
1 serving of carbs is 20 grams, not 10. We use Alvarado st bakery...Flax essentials....2 slices is 15 carbs.
Again with the chicken soup..... I make a pot that holds 8 servings. I use 30 grams worth of mixed vegetables for the pot.....so less than 4 grams per serving...FREE
OMG....ya know I should be losing more weight than I am because I wrote down the servings wrong ... I was going by 5-10 gm = 1 serving; 10-20 gm=2 servings, etc. No wonder I've had such a difficult time eating!

ARGH!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steelslady
Stats: 292/283/180
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: August 10, 2010 restart May 6, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingwell View Post
Thanks...looking back through the thread it looks like Deana posted things under 5 g are free as long as you only eat ONE serving. It still doesn't directly address the combo situation where you only have 5 g of a free food, but it sounds like if you have 10 g of what would be a "free" food, you count it as a serving...I hope that makes sense.

Since you are not using the full amount of carb servings, how are you counting your sugar?
The way that I interpret it is that if you have just one serving of a carb that is under 5 than it is free. If you have more than that serving, you would have to add them all up as they would equal out to a serving or two, depending upon how much your eating. Let me give you a couple of examples:

If you had just roasted chicken with no added sauces or gravy and a cup of cucumber slices for dinner, than the cucumbers are free because it is the only thing you are having with your meal that has carbs in it.

If you have chicken, sweet potato, string beans, and broccoli for supper than you would add up all of the carbs because the entire meals adds up to at least one, perhaps two or three servings of carbs.

I hope this helps!

Quote:
OMG....ya know I should be losing more weight than I am because I wrote down the servings wrong ... I was going by 5-10 gm = 1 serving; 10-20 gm=2 servings, etc. No wonder I've had such a difficult time eating!

ARGH!!!!
Don't you love it when you misunderstand something and it falls in your favor?
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbiAnn
Stats: 200/195/150
WOE: Modified Atkins/CAD
Start Date: April 2009
Is there a way of finding hidden sugar. I was looking online and most of the food calculators don't break out sugar. Please tell me what you use to find hidden sugars.

Thanks, Debbi
DebbiAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #324
Junior LCF Member

Counting S/C

In my opinion - when you have a plate of food in front of you, you add up all the values and that is what you come up with for the S/C. Just like the meals that Jorge shows in "The Belly Fat Cure".

Having a GREAT Breakfast! 5/2
Micellar Matrix - Banana, Protein Shake Mix (1 scoop)
8 oz. Almond Breeze - Vanilla, Unsweetened
3 ice cubes

YUMMY!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #325
Junior LCF Member

WAIT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoPrairieChick View Post
In my opinion - when you have a plate of food in front of you, you add up all the values and that is what you come up with for the S/C. Just like the meals that Jorge shows in "The Belly Fat Cure".

Having a GREAT Breakfast! 5/2
Micellar Matrix - Banana, Protein Shake Mix (1 scoop)
8 oz. Almond Breeze - Vanilla, Unsweetened
3 ice cubes

YUMMY!
My Breakfast was a 1/2 Meal - it actually had 5g Carbs! DUH!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My Breakfast was a 1/2 Meal - it actually had 5g Carbs! DUH!!!
So how did you come up with 1/2? Or are you doing carbs/sugar instead of sugar/carbs?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbiAnn View Post
Is there a way of finding hidden sugar. I was looking online and most of the food calculators don't break out sugar. Please tell me what you use to find hidden sugars.

Thanks, Debbi
I use nutrimirror . com
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #328
Junior LCF Member

Newbie!!!

Quote:
So how did you come up with 1/2? Or are you doing carbs/sugar instead of sugar/carbs?
Don't ya just LOVE newbie's!

I'm sorry, I should be showing it like the book - S/C
Soooooo...that would be 0/1 (I looked at the labels and there are no sugars)

That makes it even a BETTER Breakfast!

Ok, saying to myself...S/C...S/C...S/C...

Thank you for catching that!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Don't ya just LOVE newbie's!

I'm sorry, I should be showing it like the book - S/C
Soooooo...that would be 0/1 (I looked at the labels and there are no sugars)

That makes it even a BETTER Breakfast!

Ok, saying to myself...S/C...S/C...S/C...

Thank you for catching that!
Don't tell anyone, but I thougt I was just having a brain cramp :blush:
Old 01-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #330
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Don't tell anyone, but I thougt I was just having a brain cramp :blush:
S/C...S/C...S/C...