Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   Shirataki Noodles (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/553398-shirataki-noodles.html)

Sugar Free Sweet Pea 04-28-2008 02:06 PM

Shirataki Noodles

Has anyone tried "Shirataki Noodles"? A friend told me about these, and I bought a package, last week. They were so good, I went back today, and bought five more packages. They are a little pricey...$1.79 a package (which is 1-2 servings). But, they are VERY good.

I love them with cheese sauce...I use Ragu Cheese Sauce in a jar. Today, I had "Chili Mac"...I put chili and cheese on top of it. They are already "cooked". They come "packaged wet"...just dump the package in a colandar and rinse them off, then microwave for about a minute.

I see that Jimmy Moore had a blog, about Shirataki Noodles

Quote:

-- NO fat, NO net carbs, NO calories, NO sugar, NO protein, and NO gluten!
:clap:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t.../shirataki.jpg

Moretta 04-30-2008 10:59 AM

Melle, that sounds great.

Where did you find them?

Sugar Free Sweet Pea 05-01-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moretta (Post 10256770)
Melle, that sounds great.

Where did you find them?

I found them in the local grocery store. Believe me, this is a small town, so I was surprised, although this one store seems to carry more "healthy items".

They were in the dairy case, where the tofu items are.

Indigo-65 05-01-2008 12:40 PM

I haven't tried these yet. I have seen them at the health food store.

Moretta 05-02-2008 07:21 AM

I may give them a try once I find them.

sbaquera78 05-03-2008 05:34 PM

Melle~ I like the noodles. I have these on the nights my guys want real spaghetti :) I like to coat in butter and add shrimp and what ever veggies I feel like :)

Cmint 05-16-2008 07:46 PM

Yes, I've tried these, I couldn't believe that it only 40 calories and 6 carbs for the whole package and there Tatsy !

SlowMovingWoman 06-11-2008 01:15 PM

What are "Shirataki Noodles" made of?

ShootingStar 06-13-2008 01:08 PM

Shirataki (shee-rah-TAH-kee) noodles are thin, low carb, chewy, and translucent traditional Japanese noodles. They are also sometimes called konnyaku noodles. Shirataki noodles are thinner than wheat noodles, do not break as easily, and have a different texture. They are mostly composed of a dietary fiber called glucomannan and contain very few calories and carbohydrates (sometimes even zero). They do not have much flavor by themselves, but absorb flavors well from other ingredients you can combine them with. Shirataki noodles are made from Konjac flour, which comes from the roots of the yam-like Konjac plant grown in Japan and China.

Shirataki noodles are packaged "wet", that is, you purchase them pre-packaged in liquid, and they are ready-to-eat out of the package. You can prepare them by boiling them briefly or running them under hot water, then combining them with other dishes, or adding things like tofu, garlic, spinach, or soy sauce to enhance the flavor.

gypsyangela 06-20-2008 11:45 AM

just be sure you rinse them well before heating to prepare. i like them with alfredo sauce, shrimp, brocolli, and garlic. i bet they'd be great with asian stir fry too, of course.

tkdan 07-27-2008 08:47 AM

I would be interested in these if I could find them. The one thing I really miss is pasta. I checked at wal-mart but they did not have them.

atcgirl42 07-27-2008 12:03 PM

I miss pasta too. Very interesting the things you learn on this website! :up:

shapeup1 08-08-2008 07:39 PM

[QUOTE=ShootingStar;10450602]Shirataki (shee-rah-TAH-kee) noodles are thin, low carb, chewy, and translucent traditional Japanese noodles. They are also sometimes called konnyaku noodles. Shirataki noodles are thinner "

Careful with the konnyaku ones....I bought a package and it has 26 grams of carbs.....

josafeen 08-15-2008 12:09 PM

ETA-- i also started using the konyac powder to thicken, and found that using it in a teriyaki ginger style glaze works awesome, and when i refrigerate teh leftovers, the texture is even improved (they are a bit softer), but without extra moisture puddle, due to the thickening in the sauce.
I foudn out the first time i used the powder, do NOT understimate the thickening power, lol. Makes a fabulous glazey sauce for the noodles.
I dont have measurements, but next time i'll keep track--
sauce-
soy and water (possibly equal amounts)
lots of minced ginger
minced garlic
sesame hot chili oil
a teeni bit of konnyaku (sp) flour
(i took someone elses tip and premake a little container of the gel, and use it from there for nice smooth results. i have one of those braun handblenders and i use that to make the gel to ensure good mixing and no lumps)
let that thicken up and add it to your noodles in the pan after you've sizzled em a bit with a bit of sesame/chili oil.
top with a teeni bit of finely chopped peanuts, and a ton of minced cilantro.
also, if you add some good natural peanut butter, just enough to not add too many carbs, you have a nice peanut satay style dish. Also fabulous with some chicken breast thrown in there (any meat for that matter).

Rbenz 05-28-2009 08:03 PM

Josafen~I guess you freeze all the other bags? Just wondering if they can be frozen.

I love those Shirataki noodles. I make Miso soup w/veggies and lots of spices.

Keribaja 06-10-2009 06:51 AM

They cannot be frozen

Rbenz 06-10-2009 09:10 AM

Thx!
Yeah...found that out as I read some more about them.
Picked up my case of Noodles last Fri. @ the grocery. I have eaten 2 bags already. I used them in Veggie Marinara. I no longer have to crave Mucho Carbo Pasta thanks to these Shirataki Noodles!:D
Going to make a big pot of Asian chic-veggie soup today. I plan on using @ least another 2 bags if not more before the pot of soup is gone.

_Blue_ 06-22-2009 01:32 PM

They have bags of these they look to be single serving to me in the refrigeration part of many grocery stores... If you're not looking for them you'd never know they were there. I found out by complete accident.

Just open, rinse, and pour onto your plate and top with whatever!

I top with my spaghetti/meat marinara. Prior to this I used spaghetti squash.

meeha 09-02-2009 08:36 AM

I've never tried these hopefully I can find them.

RDBhan 09-25-2009 12:50 PM

I've used these for a few years. My favorite recipe:
I boil them for around 2 minutes in water (or a little chicken stock if I'm feeling fancy). That's just to get the weird taste off of them. Then I drain them and dry them in a paper towel.

I put 2 Tblspoons of LC peanut butter in a saucepan with a little olive or sesame oil over medium heat and whisk until smooth, then add the noodles in. A great LC sesame noodle substitute. If I'm really motivated I'll toast some sesame seeds and put them on top.

Kisha 10-02-2009 02:43 PM

I tried the noodles. They at first aren't bad. But soon after a few packages I started to feel weird after eating them. Almost nauseous. I think it has a sort of SLIMY after taste to them. I personally threw away an entire box, that's how dissatisfied I was.

josafeen 10-02-2009 03:06 PM

i just finished having some. I really like them but stress the importance of preparation wih them. I don't care for using them in italian style dishes, they are really more suited to asian dishes. Today i concocted my favorite yet, a thai style curry. four prepped bags of noodles, patted dry. in wok, peanut oil, minced garlic, green onions. sautee on high and add noodles, sautee til heated through and remove any extra puddled water. set aside. in saucepan, one can coconut milk, a packet of taste of thai red curry paste, zest of one lime, lotsa grated ginger, a teaspoon prepared lemongrass, sweetener to taste, dash soy sauce, two dashes rice vinegar, vegetable gum thickener just a tad (optional) simmer for five minutes and add to noodles. toss in half cup of minced cilantro and quarter cup chopped peanuts. you can add a bit more soy or sweetener to taste. sorry i dont have measurements, next time i will pay more attention. it was really delicious- sweet and spicy with that slightly soapy aftertaste from the lime, cilantro and lemongrass.

Rbenz 10-02-2009 03:52 PM

Whoo...THat sounds really Nummy!http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/15.gif

squeeter 10-25-2009 01:51 PM

noodles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kisha (Post 12562531)
I tried the noodles. They at first aren't bad. But soon after a few packages I started to feel weird after eating them. Almost nauseous. I think it has a sort of SLIMY after taste to them. I personally threw away an entire box, that's how dissatisfied I was.

Did you buy, the ones dry or wet? I noticed you said you threw out a entire box.

Rbenz 10-25-2009 05:20 PM

There are dry ones out thar? Didn't know that.
I buy the wet.

hiker1958 11-03-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melle (Post 10247783)
Has anyone tried "Shirataki Noodles"? A friend told me about these, and I bought a package, last week. They were so good, I went back today, and bought five more packages. They are a little pricey...$1.79 a package (which is 1-2 servings). But, they are VERY good.

I love them with cheese sauce...I use Ragu Cheese Sauce in a jar. Today, I had "Chili Mac"...I put chili and cheese on top of it. They are already "cooked". They come "packaged wet"...just dump the package in a colandar and rinse them off, then microwave for about a minute.

I see that Jimmy Moore had a blog, about Shirataki Noodles

:clap:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t.../shirataki.jpg

i love them i get mine at an asian international super markert here in nashville.
on 40 calories and 6 carbs and 1 gram of fat to the whole bag ,:cool:

margretdzn 11-04-2009 05:31 AM

These shirataki/tofu noddles, the ones that are packed wet, are they in a fishy smelling liquid....?
I bought miracle noodles and they are in the fishy smelling liquid, and even with rinsing, I'm having a hard time getting past the smell of fish when I use them.....
I would love to find one that doesn't have this smell.......
So what about the Tofu ones packed wet, or how do the dry ones compare...??

maile 11-04-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by margretdzn (Post 12697110)
These shirataki/tofu noddles, the ones that are packed wet, are they in a fishy smelling liquid....?
I bought miracle noodles and they are in the fishy smelling liquid, and even with rinsing, I'm having a hard time getting past the smell of fish when I use them.....
I would love to find one that doesn't have this smell.......
So what about the Tofu ones packed wet, or how do the dry ones compare...??

The smell is caused by the calcium carbonate (aka lime) that is used to get them to form into noodles. There aren't any without that smell, sorry. As for dry noodles, I doubt they exist as the only way I've ever seen konjac in dry form is in the flour and that is more like xantham gum.

the best way to get rid of the smell is to rinse in warm water and then microwave them on high for 1 minute.

Eliza_Jazz 11-08-2009 03:29 PM

This is great, thank you.:up: Now I can have "pasta" again.

Low-Carb Chicklady 11-08-2009 04:27 PM

I love these....used them for a couple of years now.

For savory dishes, I boile them for three+ minutes with garlic....not a hint of fishy left, and perfect for asian and italian dishes :)