Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Arlene Dallas
Stats: 283/283/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/09/2012
I boil them for 30 mins, and it really makes a difference.

I am going to have to try that...I bought 10 bags and have only used two as I cant seem to stomach the texture of it.
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Revive!

It is better to simmer them in a strong broth, they pick up more flavor with longer cook times.

The will NOT change their texture with cooking as pasta does, it is NOT pasta.

They are not slimy, so much as slippery. Pasta eaters are used to a noodle with some resistance. These slip just like bean thread noodles. No one would buy a package of bean thread noodles and expect it to taste like semolina wheat pasta.

Consider their origin. Japanese have many meals based on simmering, Nabe is the generic term for Pot and the Foods cooked in them. It almost ALWAYS involves long cooking/simmering of broth and veggies/meats/roots and some noodle. The 7/11 have a huge vat of simmering broth from which you can pick out konnyaku chunks ( same as shiritaki noodles but in block form) that have been simmering for hours. It's savory, rich and delicious.

Why not take your packages of shirataki and put them in a small pot with a cube of bouillion or some good broth and just set it on medium/low with the lid on and leave it for an hour, and then come back and make a soup with it or fish them out to serve with meat and veggies. You will enjoy them much more that way than straight out of the package.

I do use them straight out of the package if I'm doing a light tasting meal maybe shrimp cold noodle salad style, but I like to have some flavor in my noodles sometimes, so when I make a batch of homemade noodles, I extract them straight into a hot broth to absorb the flavor.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rbenz
WOE: Trying to resist anything white.
ITA...Using them in Oriental Soups is the Bomb!
And...I like adding them to make Shrimp Scampi. All the seasoning/herbs/sauce really make the dish taste Good!
Rbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
Hey MetQa,

Great idea about simmering noodles in broth. Tried it with beef boullion, soy sauce and a little liquid smoke came out great!
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #65
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
Hey MetQa,

Great idea about simmering noodles in broth. Tried it with beef boullion, soy sauce and a little liquid smoke came out great!
Oh, I have that liquid smoke stuff, I'll try that. I love how you emphasize my "Q" , makes me feel special!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I do a LOT of roast pork and when I'm lazy and don't feel like smoking it I use the liquid smoke. I also add a little to other things. Make sure you try the "REAL STUFF" Wright's or second best is Colgin. Colgins puts a little molasses in theirs. I've seen some on ebay that's supposed to be just smoke and water but haven't tried it. Wright's is just condensed wood smoke cleaned of toxins and water added. I heard you mention about the"Q" so that's the way it is for me now.
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowkarbkaren
I like soaking them in miso soup and adding cubed tofu and seaweed
lowkarbkaren is offline   Reply With Quote