Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   Somercize, anyone? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/549709-somercize-anyone.html)

ChefCary 04-04-2008 01:29 PM

Somercize, anyone?

Just found these boards, and wanted to know if there are any other SS'ers out there??

Doing great - so far. Only weighing in once a week, and that's not time until Tuesday - but I can FEEL changes...!!!!!

Cary in OHio

dasiey 04-04-2008 01:38 PM

I am not sure what that is

ChefCary 04-06-2008 12:50 PM

Suzanne Somers has her own set of books and low carb diet. It seems very similar to Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and Atkins, though not nearly as severe. It's got a premise of food combining, too - not drastic, but it makes sense to me.

She has four books that I know of. I have two - and was hoping someone could tell me if the other two are worth it.

I've been on it 6 days, and have lost 3 lbs. - but most importantly I FEEL better. I'm sleeping better, not eating/snacking all day, and feel satisfied with what I eat for the first time in years.

Cary in OHio

brandy998 04-07-2008 11:24 AM

Me, me, me!!! I've been SS'ing since March 17th & have lost 8lbs and then stalled out, but from what I've been reading over on the SS board that's normal. I found this board via that board as someone had linked the cauliflower pizza crust recipe and when I came over to check it out I thought this board looked like fun!

roweena* 04-11-2008 08:27 AM

hey guys!

I see you two made it over here, hope you found some great recipes to try out! That cauliflower is a MUST TRY, so good! I'm a bit impatient though, so next time I think I will pan-fry the crust, then top it and stick it in the oven. I used the crust recipe, with onions added in, one time to make a "burrito" for my breakfast fillings, so good!

See you over on the SS'ing board!

roweena

ChefCary 04-13-2008 08:46 AM

What a coincidence!!! I'm going to try the cauliflower crust tonite!!!!!

I just got the last three books that I didn't have from Somercizing... so I'm WAY in joy about all these great things to eat!!!!!

Stalls ARE normal.... but are you paying attention to your inches??? THAT is the "melt" that everyone is talking about, and Suzanne says in her book. There's no where to quote that, but I'd SO bet it... just because the inches DO melt off. I know this discourages some... but I'd MUCH rather my clothes fit better and FEEL thinner than to see some lousy number on the scale go down.

I know - I got on the scale today, and for the third day in a row it says the same thing. BUT I'm on my monthly.... I've only been on this a week and a half and have already lost 9 lbs.... and I'm feeling SOOOOO much better in energy and sleep and attitude and.. and .. and....

I've had two of her books for about a year - what took me so long!!! HAAHAA!!!

Cary in OHio

roweena* 04-13-2008 12:49 PM

Cary-congrats on the 9 pounds! I've been on a "stall" this past week, but just gotta keep going as I know it works and my body is still adjusting. Don't feel bad about having the book around for so long before picking it up, at least you did!

Just made ChubChub's recipe for ranch dressing last night, so good! Do try to make them yourself if you can, so much better for you and better tasting. I feel like such a fool buying bottled dressing all these years! Check it out in the "pour it on" section on the SS board.

ChefCary 04-13-2008 02:42 PM

Well, you know that stalls are "normal"..... so keep the mental work going!!!

I put on a pair of stretch pants today and a tshirt, and they fit looser!! YAY! I'd MUCH rather see that than a number, like I said.

I'm not sure if it's the weather, the stress (I'm getting married Saturday! Second wedding, very small and personal - but still!!), frustration (starting a new business - impatient with it starting slow, but I KNOW this has to happen, too) or just the toxins getting out of my body... .but I feel like I could eat all day today! I've not - I've eaten when I'm truly hungry, and then been drinking WATER WATER WATER. (It's also my monthly... just getting over.. and my hands are still swollen, so I may be hanging onto some of that water weight. Ugh!)

I'm spending some time making Oopsies for the upcoming week - I don't know why, I rarely eat sandwiches... but when I can't have bread (I eat my Carbos meal at breakfast) for lunch or dinner, I want it! So.. .these will handily take the place of bread, and it helps in my satisfaction with my food.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Cary in OHio

roweena* 04-13-2008 04:47 PM

Cary-we sound so similar! My 2nd marriage was small, and I run my own business from home, that explains why I am always online LOL. What a busy, stressful, exciting time for you!

I'm Just praying I make it thru my stall without giving in to something illegal at a moment of weakness! Experimenting a little with my level of carb intake and decided to give up my coffee for now, that I'll miss a lot.

Have a great weekend and congrats on getting married!!

ChefCary 04-13-2008 07:30 PM

Roweena,

I, too, hope that you don't cave in a moment of weakness!!!!!

This is temporary. Short term. ONLY a pause.......

I wish I could send you inspiration so that you aren't tempted.

What is it that you're craving? Sweets? Salty? Bread-y?

I had SUCH a thing happen to me tonite!!!

In a night of not wanting to cook, the kids and my fiance decided to have pizza. Now that we're really trying to save money, we eat the frozen ones, and I almost always have some in the freezer for when I don't make it home in time before one of them has to leave for some activity or whatever - they pop them in the toaster oven.

WELL... I wanted pizza, too. But not bad enough to give in. And.. I'd not made Oopsies to have a "crust" for my pizza. SO... I browned some hamburger while the oven pre-heated. Then when it was, I put the hamburger in the bottom of a small dish, put mushrooms and dried onion and some Italian seasoning on top. Then put some slices of mozzarella on top. Baked it right with their pizza, and when theirs was done - so was mine!

Funny part - I couldn't eat it all, so I offered. Both of my sons and my fiance wanted my leftovers - and my 17 yo son said "Good heavens, Mom... you can fix this for us instead of pizza any day! This is awesome!"

Well, well........ Now I know it's not a permanent replacement. But I'm just saying - I'm eating damn good!!!!

What kind of business do you own, Roweena??

I'm a Personal Chef, and concentrating on healthy eating. We just bought an old (built in 1869) home that has three floors. We're going to put our business on the bottom floor, we currently rent out most of the 2nd floor, and we live on the 3rd (which is really brand new - the previous owner was in the process of converting it (the attic) to his living space, but never lived there!) I have two flights of stairs to go up and down alot during the day, especially since I have a small dog that needs out frequently!

This is great. I love how the internet makes the world not so big - and so I can find great friends!

Cary in OHio

roweena* 04-14-2008 10:58 AM

Cary-send me an email at soury@whimsicalgiftsetc.com

talk to you soon!

brandy998 04-15-2008 08:08 AM

Hi girls,
roweena I recognize you from the SS board, too! I made the cauli pizza 3x this weekend. The flavor was great each time and I will definitely keep making it, but so far I've not been able to get it firm enough to eat as a slice. It's been more like a casserole. The first time I had too much cauli & not enough cheese & egg. The 2nd time I had the ratios correct as per the recipe, but I was using a stone ware pan and I think that made it hold too much moisture. The final time I used a metal pizza pan and in addition to the recommended cooking time, turned it down to 250 and just let it bake a while longer. It was the closest to being firm. I have not squeezed the water out of the cauliflower like some have discussed, but I did think of grating it and then letting it sit in the colander for a while to drain. I'm also interested in trying the oopsie rolls! They sound great! I have really enjoyed both SS and this site for all of the creative and delicious recipes I've found!
Brandy

roweena* 04-16-2008 04:22 AM

Hey Brandy! I've made the caul. pizza twice, and it was firm enough to hold. Here's what I did:
I quickly blanched some frozen florets it boiling water, then hand grated it using my palm to push it thru the grater. I didn't let it drain or anything, but that might help cook it faster. I thin mixed it up, put it on a baking stone, and let it bake, but it took almost twice as long as the recipe stated. then topped it etc...

the 2nd time I did everything the same but FRIED it in a pan, which works great and doesn't take nearly as long! I did it this way the 2nd time as I was making it to be used a a "burrito" for my b-fast fixings, so good! was almost like having potatoes with my b-fast. So try frying in next time, then remove it and put it on a pizza stone and top it off!

sweepthefloor 04-30-2008 06:29 AM

Im on this program too. A week now. I do feel that my pants are a little looser.

I have question though.

Can you eat too much fat on this program? Ive read in other posts that some have to watch calories and carbs. Are you eating any fat that you want or do you kinda watch?

sweep

hummingbird11 05-01-2008 12:27 AM

Hi Cary!! :hiya:

I saw your name and knew that had to be YOU and just wanted to say HOWDY!! Dontcha love it here?? It was a natural evolution for me from the SS Boards to BetsC and then to here - so much great info here!! ;)

XO,
HB

hummingbird11 05-01-2008 12:39 AM

EASY CAULIFLOWER CRUST!!

Hey Ya'll :hiya:

I make this crust every Friday night! The EASIEST way is to use FRESH Cauliflower (not frozen) - you don't have to cook it or blanche it or anything - just place it right into the 'ol food processor - RAW!

Then it's just 1/1/1/:

1 cup grated cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 egg
(and maybe a dash of italian seasoning or oregano)

MASH the mixture into a circle on parchment paper.

Bake it for approx 15 min then FLIP IT OVER and bake the other side too!

If you have time, make it 24 hours ahead and let it sit in the fridge overnight before topping and placing under broiler. (just like Oopsies, overnight in the fridge provides a firmer texture)

I make several at once and freeze 'em!

Baking it on BOTH SIDES makes all the difference in the firm texture - enjoy!! :p

XO,
HB

ChefCary 05-01-2008 07:11 AM

Sweep,

Hi!!!

According to Suzanne - just keep it all in moderation.

Of COURSE you can eat too much fat..... which is not healthy. However, EATING fat will not MAKE you fat!!!

Suzanne does not advocate counting anything - calories, carbs, fat grams. You eat what makes you satisfied. (And that in itself is difficult - I am especially guilty of eating too much of whatever just because it tastes good! Even broccoli!)

She has a great cheesecake recipe in her cookbooks. She says that yes, you COULD eat the whole thing - but is it really WISE to? Not really.

I'm glad you found us here! Ask away with any questions!!!

Cary in OHio

ChefCary 05-01-2008 07:13 AM

Hiya there HB!!

Yep! It's me, in the.. ummm... well, no not flesh, per se.... LOL

I'm not real active in the boards, but I like to read them to see what everyone is doing. Roweena and I (waves to her) are emailing each other and keeping each other "legal" :)

I'm finding lots of great (and some not so great) low carb places. There are a ton of recipes out there... but by far, the Oopsies win my award for the BEST recipe EVER!! SOOOO easy and SS friendly - and it makes life easy when everyone else is eating toast (and I'm on PFV meal) or sandwiches. My kids love them - and I think they would actually switch without too much coercion.

Great to see you here!!!!!

Cary in OHio

hummingbird11 05-01-2008 02:33 PM

Hey Cary, I think you will like these!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...vor-drops.html

I found them a while back, but no one at BetsC's blog was interested. They bashed 'em due to one of the ingredients: ALGINATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL

But I'm not afraid of it, it's listed as safe:
Food Additives ~ CSPI’s Food Safety

btw, I'm not at BetsC's anymore. Way too many emails and not enough info. It was fun while it lasted tho - lots of nice ladies, I hope to keep in touch with a few!

XO,
HB

hummingbird11 05-01-2008 05:46 PM

Capella Flavor Drops - Flavor Concentrates for Coffee, Tea, Desserts, Diet & Protein Shakes without fats,calories,carbs or sweeteners

the MEDIFAST10 Coupon works on the combo deals too!
I just used it on Buy 7 ~ Get 3 Free! (which totals $41.65)

So I bought 2 more to qualify for Free Shipping over $50 ~
then added MEDIFAST10 coupon to get $5.44 off the total.

So I ended up getting 12 Big Squeeze Singles (including 4 Premuim Flavors) for $49.11
w/ free shipping! Woot Woot! :D

Gonna put them in egg creams; cream cheese clouds; coffee; water; everything! :p

FYI, I EMAILED THEM FOR THE INGREDIENTS SINCE THEY ARE NOT ON THE WEBSITE:

Hi HB
Our flavor drops are nothing more than just flavor.
For example: Hazelnut will contain:
Distilled Water, Propylene Glycol, Natural & Artificial Flavor.
Our Flavor Drops Premium are only Natural Flavor (no artificial flavor),
but honestly, doesn't make a difference since our use-level is so low.
Our flavors are so concentrated that very little iS required. For example, coffe/tea 3-4 "drops"
We avoid preservatives, by reducing the amount of water content in the product, also we use Propylene Glycol just as the carrier to dissolve the essential flavor oils, etc.
Hope this helps,
-tom

ChefCary 05-07-2008 02:53 PM

Hi, HB!!!

Sorry - was away from home for the weekend.

I'm going to try those drops, I think!!! They sound great. I'm going to do some research on them, like you did, and see what's up. Anything that helps, y'know.....

Well, busy night tonite. I'll check emails and boards tomorrow - I've been away from my laptop for 4 days - ack!!! - and I've got a TON to read!!!!!

Cary

ChefCary 05-09-2008 09:18 AM

HB - did you get the drops?

Hi HB!

Just curious if you got those drops. I'm REALLY interested in trying them.

How's it going? You've been quiet. I know, I was away for the weekend, and then little time on the computer this past week.... warmer weather always brings more chores.

Cary

ps: I'm a Suzanne Consultant now - so if you need anything, let me know!!!

gynx8467 05-29-2008 12:07 PM

Hi Cary

Hi I thought I would try this site out too. I have wondered where you have been. I have really been struggling with this SS stuff. Good to here from a familiar face.:stars::hugs:

try2xl 06-05-2008 05:26 AM

I'm a Newbie Here!

Hello Chef, I found this website by accident yesterday, and HAD to join. I have 60 pounds to lose and have had a heck of a time getting motivated.

I'm doing SS, and started last week. The scales this a.m. tell me I'm down 7 lbs. That sounds good, but I lost 6 lbs. in the first 2 days and it took me the rest of the week to lose one more!

The only "carb" meals I've had are steel cut oats in the a.m., but I'm thinking I might do that every other day and see if I drop a little quicker.

I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Any words of advice would sure be appreciated!

All the best,

try2xl

Wendalina 06-06-2008 12:15 PM

I have a question...just found the Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away book at a yard sale for a quarter... seems an interesting idea. I am wondering about cream cheese. I see that you can have a pumpernickel bagel in the morning and I was wondering if that would be ok with cream cheese?

please advise....thanks!

lacie 06-06-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendalina (Post 10416093)
I have a question...just found the Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away book at a yard sale for a quarter... seems an interesting idea. I am wondering about cream cheese. I see that you can have a pumpernickel bagel in the morning and I was wondering if that would be ok with cream cheese?

please advise....thanks!

If I remember correctly, you can have cream cheese on your bagel as long as it's fat free.

Wendalina 06-12-2008 08:52 AM

thanks!

I was also wondering if any of you switched from atkins or south beach to somersizing and if so what results did you have?

thanks!
Wendy

ChefCary 06-29-2008 01:34 PM

Sorry gals!!! I've been away FOREVER!!! Life just threw me a few curveballs, that's all!!!

I was "off" for a bit, but didn't gain much back - thanks to KNOWING what SS is and pretty much staying with it. I guess you could say I was doing L2 before I should have been. But now I'm back and stronger than EVER!!!!!!!!!

Wendy - to answer your question, I was a Carb Addict Diet-er previous to SS'ing. I lost a little, but not as "easy" as I have been with SS. I LOVE the SS food. I think that the hour CAD gave me to eat carbs was just an excuse - I was living for that hour!!!! Now I barely have a carb craving.

try2xl - how are you doing with the oats every other morning?? I do a Carbos breakfast every 2-3 days. I must be REALLY sensitive, because I can tell when I eat Carbos that I want more. I have to have them at least on the 3rd day, though, or my weight loss slows - the OTHER side of the coin!!! I only eat Carbos for breakfast.

Summer is SUCH a great time to be SS'ing!!!!! Fresh VEGGIES, baby!!!!! I'm loving the green peppers and zucchini.

So..... how is everyone else doing???

Cary in OHio

ChefCary 06-29-2008 01:36 PM

Yes, you can have Fat Free Cream Cheese with your bagel, but Suzanne cautions us to watch out for the "other stuff" in it. She says it's usually got a bunch of unpronounceable words, so it makes it not-so-good.

I know this sounds weird, but what I like on my bagel is fat free cottage cheese sprinkled with cinnamon and a packet of Stevia. YUM!!!! It's a creamy french toast kinda sorta thing, with the crunch from the bagel. I also make bagel chips from the bagel and use the cottage cheese/cinnamon/Stevia as a "dip". Something different, at least.

Cary in OHio

billgirl 07-24-2008 03:02 PM

new to somercising

I was wondering if anyone else was doing this...I met someone at my daughter's softball game last night who swears by this. I did Atkins in 2003 and lost about 50 pounds and kept it off until last summer when we remodeled our house and I quit avoiding the high carb empty calories foods...pizza, bread etc. Shame on me and I've paid for it. I want to get going again, but getting started is the hardest. I want to learn more about this!