Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #691
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miscmissy
Stats: 228/209/150
WOE: Somersizing
Start Date: August 18, 2009
Just staying on track and being so busy that I can't seem to keep up. I have had a headache for two weeks and can't seem to get rid of it. I don't know what the problem is. I hate being fat!!!!

I'm sorry both of you are going through worse stuff than me and I don't want to complain I just can't get my eating under control. I am frustrated
miscmissy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #692
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunshine272
Stats: 212/187/145
WOE: Low carb/Whole Foods/No grains
Start Date: 6/29/2009
Thanks for the welcome guys

Missy-what are you having problem with, we are here to help. Are you keeping lots of legal foods stocked in your refrigerator? Are you in a rut and nothing sounds good because you feel like eat the same thing everday? I hope you caught Suzanne on shopnbc last weekend. I wasn't that impressed the the kitchen segment, but it helps just knowing I'm not the only one not eating cookies Don't forget there is no portion control, so eat if your hungry. I get headaches if I haven't eaten enough protein that day.

My lastest meal of choice is roasted jalepenos that I remove the seeds and then stuff with a little cream cheese and chicken. I love mexcian food and don't know why I didn't think of using roasted jalepenos earlier for faux taco shells.

This time around for me it's been three months and I have no deprevation feelings, and is generally easier because I have no cravings. But, I had terrible cravings my third week on the plan and wanted to cry because I wanted brownies. I'm so glad I stuck to it and didn't cave, no brownie is worth how I feel now.
sunshine272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #693
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: danabar
Stats: 163/155/140
WOE: Somersizing/whole foods
Hi all. I'm so glad I found this thread. I was really into Somersizing from 2000-2002. The pounds came flying off, and I had more energy than ever. I didn't want sugar, didn't crave bread. Somehow I started adding foods back without monitoring. It took me a long time to gain the weight back, but with a steady diet of bagels and full fat cream cheese, I did. I just started back on the plan on Friday, and I'm already noticing the energy, the lack of cravings, the desire to eat better, the pants a little looser. I want to lose enough to wear most of the clothes in my closet and then go to level 2 sensibly.

Anyway, I am so glad to find this board. I've been reading the threads and love how active and supportive this group is. Thanks for all the advice I've already received by just reading/lurking.

-Dana

Last edited by danabar; 10-19-2009 at 08:53 PM..
danabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #694
Senior LCF Member

Hi sunshine thanks. I think I am tired of just eating the same thing. I am also feeling that this woe isn't working for my family I am married and we have 4 children. My husband and one of my kids have weight trouble at this point. So trying to balance my food and theirs is really hard. I know you are probrable thinking why can't they eat what I eat. It isn't that easy but if I cook more balance meals I notice they are more satisfied. I think I just get frustrated.

Sorry about the complaint I don't really have anyone else to talk to about it.

then I think to myself is this the best diet for me? or should I try something more balanced for me and my family. I want to help my daughter she is 10.

Missy
Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #695
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChefCary
WOE: Somercize - the plan that WORKS!
Start Date: every day
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscmissy View Post
Hi sunshine thanks. I think I am tired of just eating the same thing. I am also feeling that this woe isn't working for my family I am married and we have 4 children. My husband and one of my kids have weight trouble at this point. So trying to balance my food and theirs is really hard. I know you are probrable thinking why can't they eat what I eat. It isn't that easy but if I cook more balance meals I notice they are more satisfied. I think I just get frustrated.

Sorry about the complaint I don't really have anyone else to talk to about it.

then I think to myself is this the best diet for me? or should I try something more balanced for me and my family. I want to help my daughter she is 10.
Missy -

Please explain why you can't fix one meal for all of your family? Is it food tolerances, likes or dislikes??

Don't worry - ANYONE - about anyone being better off or worse off than anyone else here. We all wear our own shoes - and we know the roads we are walking. Please don't compare..... it's not fair to your self.

You keep mentioning the word "balanced". Do you think that because we cut out carbs, it's not 'balanced'??? This sounds like media brainwashing to me.

You've said this plan WORKS for you. So why wouldn't it be the best? And when you are solidly on plan, do you lose weight and feel better and have fewer cravings?

The cravings are the WORST for me, and right now I'm in such an emotional icky place that I give in. This is the ONLY thing I seem to have for "me", and I've gotten it stuck in my mind that I'm "treating" myself instead of harming myself!!!!! I KNOW this makes NO SENSE - but neither does it to anyone else, not doing what we KNOW works.

One day at a time. One meal at a time. one bite at a time.

WE CAN DO THIS.

Complain away to us here...... we've all been there, done that. Just be prepared for a gentle nudge/push to get your booty in gear!
(I'm talking to myself, here, too!!!)

Cary
"Be careful of those who imagine themselves to be on the High Road while everyone else is walking the Low. If they REALLY are on the High Road they will offer to take everyone else with them, not simply tell others they are going the wrong way"
ChefCary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #696
Junior LCF Member

Missy
I don't have kids, but my husband and I have been helping to take care of his mother, who is recovering from lung cancer. He lived with her for a while, and now that she's better we just share food and go over throughout the week. Because we went to one income suddenly and moved across country, sharing food was key to getting by for a while. I know I will have a challenge this Saturday because we always have a comfort food dinner and watch a movie. I will have to start making changes with this tradition for me. I will probably have to eat something entirely different, which I know is not always possible with a big family.

My husband is also not on this diet, so we're having to modify. We are eating some of the same meals, but he's adding to them with bread or maybe a dessert. I think, but I'm not sure, that Suzanne's first book, "Eat Great, Lose Weight" might have some info about how to navigate cooking for the family, including family members that aren't on the plan. If you had a perfectly Somersized meal, and they added one piece of whole grain bread or rice to their plates, do you think they would be OK with that? Usually when people see you feeling great, they start to adopt some of your habits too. Not to say it always works, but it might.

Also I get tired of eating the same thing too. I've found this board really helpful for different food combining ideas. Do you have all the books? Which meals are you finding too repetitive? Basically is dinner the issue or breakfast? Also do you have a crockpot? I'll look through a great crockpot cookbook I have and see if there are any somersize/legal recipes.

I agree with Cary. If you feel good on this plan, it might be the right one and just take some adjusting to make it work on a daily level.

It'll get easier!

-Dana
Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #697
Junior LCF Member

Oops: I meant Get Skinny on Fabulous Food
Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #698
Junior LCF Member

Missy-Please don't feel you are complaining, as Cary said, we are all in this together. Everyone has their up and downs, that's why we have to help each other. This is a lonely woe, sometimes I feel weird. Then I take a step back and think I only eat REAL food, why am I the weird one? I eat healthier than anyone I know, mainstream america is still just stuck on living fat free with frankenfoods. People think nothing of having jello with coolwhip for dessert...But try bring real cream and people freak.

So maybe tomorrow you can take some time to find some new meals. What do you normally eat, maybe we can give some suggestions. Whenever I wish I didn't have to eat, that is when I know it's time to try some new recipes so I'm not bored.

I am trying to help my daughter who is ten also, she is close to having a problem. I am really thinking she has Candida or a gluten/grain sensitivity. I am the only one in my family of 5 doing this too. My husband lost all his weight from having gastric bypass, so now he eats a little bit of what he wants, that doesn't make him sick. He made homemade cookies for the first time in a year, but it didn't bother me I didn't want them. I just fix a protein for us all and add potatoes or pasta or rice to whatever with salad or veggies. I make me sauteed onions, or pureed cauliflower or zucchini instead of the starch. You have to eat things you like or you will feel like you are on a diet. If I make something like cream cheese pancakes or a dessert, that is when they have to eat my way. This keeps everyone happy. It's only been three and a half months though, so I'm sure all be asking for advise during the holidays

Before you doubt this is the right plan for you think about how you feel. I feel tons better and can't believe how when I wake up now, I feel like I rested. I had to go back to my food journals before it dawned on me I have some sensitivtiy to gluten or grains, when I eat them even though they are allowed on this program they make me crave everything again. So just listen to your body. You also might want to check out the Candida section of this website. Hope that helps

Last edited by sunshine272; 10-20-2009 at 09:51 PM..
Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #699
Senior LCF Member

Thanks you guys I know you are right. I will stick to it and start looking through my books and on the sites for more recipes. I really appriciate all the support from here.

Cary yes kick our butts!!!!! I think I feel that way sometimes because I don't eat alot of veggies (my fault) I don't like them. I eat almost all protein meals if I eat carbs late in the day I gain weight. My biggest meal of the day is usually lunch.

Dana yes I have all the books. I bought them years ago after the doctor said that a low carb diet is best for hypothiroid. My cockpot is so old that all I use it for is Nacho cheese for parties and chili to keep it warm. Someday I will replace it.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #700
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine272 View Post
....... sometimes I feel weird. Then I take a step back and think I only eat REAL food, why am I the weird one? I eat healthier than anyone I know, mainstream america is still just stuck on living fat free with frankenfoods. People think nothing of having jello with coolwhip for dessert...But try bring real cream and people freak."
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!! WELL SAID!!!!!!

Or they'll fill themselves with Lean Cuisine (filled with chemicals), Diet Coke (filled with chemicals) and Low-fat cookies (filled with chemicals, and wonder why WE food combine REAL foods differently!!! LOL!

Today!!!!!! Do what you have to do for TODAY! Don't worry about tomorrow, other than to make sure YOU have LEGAL food in the house for you to eat.

Take care of YOURSELF - so you can take care of your families.

It doesn't matter we eat "differently" than they do... and in fact, if you can make 'family friendly' SS-legal meals (I forget which book has family favorites in it, but I can look when I get home if you need it) it will be great for THEM, too!!!

Eating veggies is important. First, it helps fill your stomach with "bulk". What legal ones DO you like? Maybe we can help you figure out different ways to fix those, so it's not like eating the same thing all the time. It's hard to fight a battle if you limit yourself to one type of ammo (protein).... because then you WILL feel you're missing out on something if you're used to eating the carbs, too.

TODAY!!!! WE CAN DO THIS TODAY!!!!!

Cary
Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #701
Senior LCF Member

I like all the startchey ones and salad, I kinda like salad.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #702
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscmissy View Post
I like all the startchey ones and salad, I kinda like salad.
Of course you like the starchy ones.... those are the ones that are higher in carbs!! <I'm a full fledged Carb Addict!>

If you like salad, experiment with different kinds, and have some for each meal (even breakfast!)

I don't like lettuce. I can handle a bit of spinach. So what I make is a "chopped salad" - I chop up celery, tomato, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, steamed green beans, etc (any legal veggies)

For protein I add chicken or hard boiled egg if I want.

I just experiment with vinegars and the SS dressings that are in her book for topping.

I make a BIG bowl of this, add the dressing before eating, and I keep it in the refrigerator for a very quick and easy "to go" meal or for a snack.... it'll last at least 4-5 days (not the cukes, though).

If you miss potatoes.... try steaming cauliflower and mashing it - it doesn't taste like potatoes, but it's the same effect, and you can put butter on it!!!

I'm going away for a few days, but I can check in her SS books to see if there are other ideas!

Be good, everyone!!!!!!!

Cary
Old 10-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #703
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Cary I'll try some of those ideas.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #704
Junior LCF Member

Hi all,

I confess I quit caffeine for two days and didn't meet a work deadline I set for myself. I couldn't seem to work, so I went to one half-caff coffee a day.

Missy: I have a hard time getting excited about vegetables. (I never fail to get excited about cheese though!) Anyway, my husband made this roasted vegetable dish that was really good. Just a very basic marinade with mustard and olive oil (and maybe black pepper). Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the vegetables. I think that I just heard Jillian Michaels say. Anyway, it takes a little time to prep, but he roasted yellow onions, red peppers, cauliflower, and zucchini. It was good and really satisfying.

Also even with protein meals, I try to add vibrant color to my plate through vegetables -- even just a few. Sauces help too. I don't always succeed, but I notice I feel better when I do this. Anyway, just know, as others said above, we're all in this together. I'm winging it each day, trying to figure out how to eat this way again.

Cary: Thanks SO much for all the inspiration and ideas.

Sunshine: I really need to learn more about the gluten connection. I think that's one of my issues too. Thanks for pointing out the board.

OK, off to have some Indian spice tea. Have a great night!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JanBhere
Stats: 178/153/135
WOE: atkins with Intermittent fasting or feeding.
Start Date: July 1
Hey all,
Just peeking in to see what is going on. EAT WELL
JanBhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #706
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChickenJr
Stats: Pant size: 13/3/3 I made it!!
WOE: Gluten free Somersizing
Start Date: January 2009
Glad to see this thread is alive and well again. I can't even imagine trying to Somersize without access to the internet! Thank you, technology!
I've been struggling for awhile now to come up with gluten free, legal baked goods. After quite a few failed attempts at 'legalizing' regular recipes I found this book:
Secrets of Fat-Free Baking by Sandra Woodruff, RD
In almost all of the recipes the only thing I've had to substitute is the sugar and flour. If you wanted to do strict level one you could sub zucchini for whatever fruit they call for, I'd just add a bit more sugar sub to make up the lost sweetness.
I'll post a few of the recipes later, got a grumpy 19 month old informing me I'm all done with the computer.
Good luck everyone!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #707
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: billgirl
Stats: 193/151/125
WOE: SSing
Start Date: July 28, 2008
I have found a yummy "almost level 1" recipe...take a tablespoon of cocoa powder, and a tablespoon of the "new" somersweet a that measures like sugar, and then stir it up and add HWC (Heavy Whipping Cream) and stir, add more cream if necessary and stir until the consistency of pudding or mousse then enjoy! It really satisfys my sweet tooth.
billgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #708
Senior LCF Member

Re Read!!

You are absolutely right! I just began re reading her Fast and Easy book last weekend, and It has helped so much. I have been doing very well since last Friday, and even lost about 4lbs., but tonight was "business trick-or-treat, and I stayed at work until 8:00pm. We had a few alcoholic beverages...my coworkers are bad influences, but back on track now...can't beat myself up over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCary View Post
My not-being-ex-husband-soon-enough is being a BIG jerk.... I lost my LG Vue (touch) phone last Friday and it had a bunch of pictures and personal stuff in it that is gone....

BUT - other things are looking up. So - I'm choosing to focus on that.

Sweep... watch out for the fruit. I forget which book it is that SS talks about her husband, and he thought fruit was so healthy and loaded up on it and GAINED a lot of weight. It's natural sugar, and keeps your body up on insulin.... so you're probably not feeling full.

we've been brainwashed that 'fat is bad'... it's NOT! (if you believe SS). So eat until you are full. Have snacks - protein/veggie are the best, and protein will help curb your hunger, too. A piece of cold chicken and a few pieces of cheese does the trick! Or a hard boiled egg and some veggies to snack on.

MsMamba... it really doesn't matter if the weight lost is stress induced or not. It's GONE! Just keep staying on plan, staying legal, and the weight will continue to drop!!!!!!!! But watch your stress - NO ONE is worth doing that to our body. (I'm preaching to myself, too)

I encourage ALL of US to read and re-read her books... not just for the recipes, but for the entire REASON the plan works.... and for her mental boosts... and for her encouragement.... and FAITH.... and all those little tidbits that we tend to forget about (such as being careful about the amount of fruit).....

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One day at a time

Cary
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Faux tatoes...so good my teen likes them!

Ok this is a "faux"tato recipe that is wonderful! Steam the cauliflower (a head of cauliflower), and then cook some sausage (I like spicy sausage). Take a mixer and "puree" the cauliflower and add an 8oz brick of cream cheese and mix well until smooth like mashed potatoes. Then add the crumbly sausage. Next layer a casserole pan with half of the mixture then top with baby swiss cheese and then add another layer of the mixture and another layer of swiss cheese. Now bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Enjoy!!! This is sooooooo yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCary View Post
Of course you like the starchy ones.... those are the ones that are higher in carbs!! <I'm a full fledged Carb Addict!>

If you like salad, experiment with different kinds, and have some for each meal (even breakfast!)

I don't like lettuce. I can handle a bit of spinach. So what I make is a "chopped salad" - I chop up celery, tomato, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, steamed green beans, etc (any legal veggies)

For protein I add chicken or hard boiled egg if I want.

I just experiment with vinegars and the SS dressings that are in her book for topping.

I make a BIG bowl of this, add the dressing before eating, and I keep it in the refrigerator for a very quick and easy "to go" meal or for a snack.... it'll last at least 4-5 days (not the cukes, though).

If you miss potatoes.... try steaming cauliflower and mashing it - it doesn't taste like potatoes, but it's the same effect, and you can put butter on it!!!

I'm going away for a few days, but I can check in her SS books to see if there are other ideas!

Be good, everyone!!!!!!!

Cary
Old 10-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #710
Junior LCF Member

Chef Cary, I know! I can't believe it took so long for the lights to come on lol.

I love all the new cauliflower recipes. I just steam cauliflower and then throw it in the food processor with butter and cream for faux mash potatoes, yummy. I haven't tried roasting yet. But so far I love to roast: onions, asparagus, red and yellow peppers, grape tomatoes...and my latest obsession jalepenos! They are so easy (just like all veggies) you just drizzle EVOO, sea salt and pepper and bake. I like roasted jalepenos with a little cream cheese and shredded chicken.

I always try to have a cooked veggie and a raw veggie (even if is just salad) with dinner. I have leftovers a lot for my lunch, so then I am always getting plenty of veggies. I didn't use to like them either, but now that I don't worry about how much butter, EVOO or other fats, I love them. Just keep trying new recipes to find how you like them.

Billgirl-How is the new somersweet? That is the only thing I haven't figured out this time around, which sugar sub to use for sure. I am using Whey Low and Xylitol right now. But especially because my kids have it too, I want to use the healthiest alternative. I was also using Agave Nectar, but after reading on this site, I guess it is like HFCS.

I wish Suzanne would bring back her boards, but I won't be greedy! It's so good to have people posting
Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #711
Junior LCF Member

danabar-Sunshine: I really need to learn more about the gluten connection. I think that's one of my issues too. Thanks for pointing out the board.

Sorry guys, I haven't figured out how to use just a section of a quote-

I was excited to hear Suzanne say that was going to be the topic of her next book after Knock Out. I know I have the problem with gluten and grains, but would like to know why. All I know is whoo-hoo I finally don't feel like I'm on a diet! I heard Christine Northrup say on Oprah a huge amount of women are intollerant to grains, which is why they crave sweets so much.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #712
Senior LCF Member

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooo....................... ...........(echo echo echo)

How's it going?????

Kinda quiet around here.......

<grins>
Old 10-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #713
Junior LCF Member

I'm here...glad you are too.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 AM   #714
Senior LCF Member

I'm here I just have been very busy with the Holloween Carnival and stuff. The carnival is tonight and we have to set up all day. I'm sure it will turn out good the Mom that is in charge is very organized. Thank goodness I just have to help.

I am going to try some of these recipes thanks for sharing.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 AM   #715
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: worldlove
Stats: 5' 6" 175 (12/14)/147.4(7/8)/135-139 (5/6)
WOE: Lower Carb Pescatarian/Clean Eating
I fell off the wagon a little bit since my relocation. I had to leave some of my things in South Carolina so I have no pots or pans here with me in Florida. AND somehow I forgot to empty the cabinet with all of my spices and condiments soooo I have to buy all of those things over again. I soooo fell out of my routine and ended up buying food (mostly Chinese food) daily. NOT healthy. I was in a routine and losing and then lost that routine. I'm posting today to get me back in to a weight loss state of mind. Today I will WRITE a menu and stick with it. I have to remember what it was like to be GOOD and LOSE weight.

1st Goal - 150lbs
2nd Goal - 145lbs
3rd Goal -139lbs
4th Goal - 135lbs
worldlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:20 PM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Congrats on the move and I'm sorry you forgot some of your stuff. I wish you the best in your new place. It sounds like you have a plan. Like they always say Eat Well.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:59 AM   #717
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: worldlove
Stats: 5' 6" 175 (12/14)/147.4(7/8)/135-139 (5/6)
WOE: Lower Carb Pescatarian/Clean Eating
Thank you all! I'm back and ready for a new start. I'm a little up on the scale but that will soon be resolved. I've completely kicked my ex-boyfriend to the curb. Can you guys believe I actually begged that fool to take me back? And when he did he was just as emotional abusive as before. I finally fell out of love with him. I plain and simple don't like him anymore as a boyfriend, as a friend nor as a person. He's a selfish rude man and now I see it. And I deserve better. And on that note. I'm done. I don't need nor want that relationship. I have no desire to ever see him again nor hear his voice. I'm FINALLY free from those emotionally chains and I feel sooo much better.

Now I can focus on ME. My bar exam prep re-starts on Dec. 1st (I postponed my bar exam in July to move out of town with him). And I'm driving 15 hours to St. Louis for Thanksgiving and to give my dogs to my mom for them to move in with her since she'll be alone soon and could use companionship and I NEED to be alone to study and will often be away from home. Business is starting to boom and I love my new apartment. I feel a new chapter in my life is just beginning and I WILL make my goal weight by Jan. 1st. Woot, Woot ladies....I'm FREE! ;-)

Last edited by worldlove; 11-11-2009 at 05:02 AM..
worldlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #718
Senior LCF Member

I am so happy for you Good luck on your bar and I know you will do well it sounds like you are very focused.

The eating should be easier too. I am sure everything will fall into place. Keep in touch.

Missy
Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #719
Senior LCF Member

Well I think I finally have eating under control. Except now I don't feel very good probrably withdrawls. I know it won't last forever.

Does anyone know of a free website for exercise programs pretty intense ones. Just let me know.

I know it is the holiday season and everyone is probrably very busy I hope everyone is doing well.

I feel the stress building with Thanksgiving and all. I have to cook for my family. I hope everything goes well. I am going to have my daughters help me this year. they love it.

Please keep in touch

Missy
Old 11-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #720
Senior LCF Member

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Sure is quiet around here lately but I am still here. I'll check in again in a couple of days.