Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChefCary
WOE: Somercize - the plan that WORKS!
Start Date: every day
Well come on in - the water is great!

Hi billgirl!!!

What questions do you have?

The first thing I would recommend is that you either get one of Suzanne's Somercize books (she has 5, plus 2 dessert ones) from the library or bookstore. There is a LOT of information in them!

It's a controlled carb program - we eat carbos at one meal (for the most part) per day. It's really about food COMBINING! It's not NEAR as complicated as that might sound - in fact, it takes just a short time and you'll have no problems at all!!!

YES it works!!! I've been on for a little over 3 weeks, I've lost 10 lbs. I know that doesn't seem like much, but - I've NO cravings, the inches are coming off faster than the pounds, I'm NEVER hungry, and I get to eat pretty much what I want (with a few exceptions, at least until the weight is gone and I get on Level 2)

I've tried Weight Watchers, I've tried just about everything - this is the ONLY way of life I've been able to stick with. I was on longer, but went off for about 3 weeks before and after my wedding - and had lost alot!

This is SO doable. She has recipes for about anything, and there is her website with a ton more.

What can I help you with? Don't be shy or afraid - ask away!!!

Cary
ChefCary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarblesLongGone
Stats: 273/251/188 6'0"
WOE: Grain-free, sugar-free, real foods
Start Date: 2010 (I have years of weight data recorded)
SS is an old fashioned, time proven food combining diet that will work for most people. It allows you a broad assortment of foods, but the order matters. (If I am recalling the right series of books!) Actually, I would suggest this diet for most people. I am sticking to Atkins for me (not the whole family) as I accidentally discovered that it controlled 2 medical conditions! I lost weight just as well on Carb Addicts, another of the broader plans, but ALWAYS misunderstood, 'cause, as with most diet books, people don't read the book! I picked up a mess of the SS books in thrift stores! How can I pass up a cook book that uses REAL foods?!?!?

http://www.facebook.com/sandi.conover.jones
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Not necessarily order, but you've got the right idea. Carbs are eaten with veggies only (and some non-fat stuff), Proteins and fats are eaten together with veggies, and fruits are eaten all by themselves. There are some "funky foods" that aren't eaten at all.

Just until Level 1 is over, then Level 2 is learning how to add all foods back in while maintaining the weight loss. If weight is gained, go back to Level 1 (which is SUCH an easy transition!)

One book will get you the general idea, though she does have 5 "cookbooks" (with GREAT explanations in each one about insulin resistance, why and how it works, etc) that all have recipes, each is different. She includes different health information in each one, though she repeats the basics. One cookbook is pretty much family style food, the stuff we're used to eating... one is a bit fancier... one includes Somercize products (though each one can be worked around without buying a thing).... and one even has menus/recipes for holidays! I have all 7 (she has two dessert cookbooks, too) mainly because I'm a recipe and cookbook ADDICT!!! - and yes, there's NOTHING wrong with having a cookbook with REAL food recipes in it, instead of packaged and processed ingredients.

I tried CAD and lost some - but it wasn't NEAR as easy as Somercize. Now I don't even have to think about what to eat, and I'm never deprived.

Suzanne's books also concentrate on hormone balance, which when imbalanced, contributes to everything. It makes SO much sense. I also just feel better emotionally, though I'm still trying to get things balanced. I'm 44, and getting to be 'that time' of my life... and I am confident that eating this way is making a difference.

Cary
Old 07-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, the ideas behind it ARE sound. I am going to TRY to get DH on "No White at Night" and see if that works for him. I can't get him totally into clean eating, he REFUSES to give up his d*** Mt Dew.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

What is "No White at night?"

Y'know, if he eats healthy otherwise, then the d**t MD probably isn't THAT bad. I mean, yes, it IS - with the aspartame and chemicals and stuff... but if that's the worse that he does, and he starts to eat healthy otherwise - well, that's something!

I once had a doctor, about 25 years ago, tell me that the easiest way to lose weight was to only drink d**t pop, that if I only changed that I'd lose 30 lbs a year. I know it's still common for people to drink the stuff.

The thing that gets me is watching someone wolf down a double cheeseburger, biggie fries, and a d**t pop!!!!! Good GRIEF, do they think that helps at all???

Cary
Old 07-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCary View Post
What is "No White at night?"

Y'know, if he eats healthy otherwise, then the d**t MD probably isn't THAT bad. I mean, yes, it IS - with the aspartame and chemicals and stuff... but if that's the worse that he does, and he starts to eat healthy otherwise - well, that's something!

I once had a doctor, about 25 years ago, tell me that the easiest way to lose weight was to only drink d**t pop, that if I only changed that I'd lose 30 lbs a year. I know it's still common for people to drink the stuff.

The thing that gets me is watching someone wolf down a double cheeseburger, biggie fries, and a d**t pop!!!!! Good GRIEF, do they think that helps at all???

Cary
Oh, I wish that my d*** stood for diet.... Alas, there are other letter to my D*** Mt Dew....

Re: NWAN I'm not finished reading yet, but here's a blurb:

No White At Night, The 3-Rule Diet by Dr. Bill Gavin

The Three Rule Diet is a simple and practical approach to long term weight control. Dr. Gavin developed this approach to help his patients who were confused with many of the popular diets. The three rule diet is simple and it works. Hundreds of people have used this approach to diet and exercise with success.

The Three Rule Diet promotes a balanced nutritional program. It is not a high protein diet, nor is it high fat. The diet is designed to curb your hunger, and achieve weight loss through loss of body fat. Most importantly the transition from the diet to a long term eating plan is very straightforward. That helps you achieve long-term weight control rather than transient short-term weight loss.

No White at Night presents the simplest plan ever created for immediate and long-term weight maintenance. There is no calorie or carb counting, and no extreme exercise program. You won't need to shift between confusing diet phases or eliminate all the foods that you love. There are three simple rules to follow to start shedding pounds and keep them off for good: eat three meals per day, eat some lean protein with every meal, and no white at night (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, and corn).

No White at Night allows you to live and eat normally. You can eat out without having to consult food lists or worry about every bite. And Dr. Gavin will teach you to recognize the the warning signs that you are not eating the proper balance of protein and carbohydrate at each meal.

If you have tried other popular diets that were too complicated or you just have not found a plan that makes sense, this is the book for you. Three rules and a walking program. It is that simple and it works!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I saw many copies at Dollar Tree. The store "Deals" is owned by the same company as Dollar Tree, so if you don't have a Dollar Tree near you, and you do have a Deals, give 'em a shot. It's a buck, it's less than a greeting card or a magazine! There are recipes as well.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: billgirl
Stats: 193/151/125
WOE: SSing
Start Date: July 28, 2008
I got goosebumps reading your response!

I wish I had more time to chat right now, but I'm at work. I can't wait to be back. Talk to you later!
billgirl
billgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

I can kinda sorta see the premise behind this diet (LOL - I DID figure out what your other letters were!!!! <blush>)..... but to be really honest it IS limiting carbs (white bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and corn are all carbos) - it's just not counting them.

Yeah - cutting carbs out at night MAY help for some, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here (NOT arguing - please don't take it as that. It's JUST my opinion) and say that people COULD say.. "hmmm... I'll eat 5 pieces of white toast in the morning, and home fries with my eggs, and rice or pasta at lunch"... and then carb up before 'night'.

In a way, I'm already following this "no white at night" diet - because I always eat any of my carbos meals at breakfast (because I get really hungry about an hour after I eat a carbos meal - I know it's mostly an insulin reaction, since I really *shouldn't* be hungry with the quantities I eat).

I can see my (obese) hubby on this and doing just what I said above. He hates feeling deprived over anything - he really enjoys the physical act of eating, as it fills something emotional in him. I think there's a reason in his past, but I can't get him to accept it and just control his eating. He flat out refuses).

I'm simply being a living example right now. I'm trying to show him that I don't have to feel deprived over anything and still lose weight. Maybe after I get a significant amount of weight down (he's not impressed at all by 2 lbs a week, but *I* am!) maybe he'll see. I dunno - I'm not holding my breath, but I can't make decisions for him. I simply make SS meals, and he likes them - and doesn't realize they're 'legal'.

I'm just really leery of diets - there's always another book or another magazine. When one program gets boring or expensive, people are off to find something else short-term. I really think Somercizing is standing the test of time. That is just my 2 cents - nothing more.

Cary
Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Cary!
Ok, for starters, I went to the library on Friday night, and came home with 5 of the ssing books, including one dessert book. I've started reading, but there is a lot of repetition before you get to the meat of the program. I've also built in some guaranteed motivation...at the place I work, they're doing a weight loss challenge, and to get involved in it you have to pay $100. Whoever loses the highest percent of BF, is the winner...and the winner takes all!!! (So far there is $900 in the pot)
I've been reading the posts and I do have a few questions. What are Oopsies? They sound like a roll or something... You told someone that you are a consultant...how are you a consultant? Have you tried the somersweet? I've been using Splenda for forever, and really like it, what are your feelings. I haven't seen anything that says it's "illegal", but like I said I haven't gotten that far in the book. I want to make that multi-layer choc cake from the dessert book. My DH and 2dd's are all for it if I make it with sugar...I bought some Organic unprocessed sugar, but I'd still rather not use sugar. BTW my real name is Vikki, but billgirl is just the user name I use for everything else.
Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

I agree about people always looking for better. I loved the Atkins way of life, but with a DH (who refuses to eat the LC breads) and 2 teenage DD's who are beautiful (I'm biased), but they are built like my DH's side of the family and haven't had to worry about their weight. My oldest is now starting to be concerned because she's getting a little soft and not rock hard anymore...(gymnast). So I thought, like you, if I just make ssing meals, and don't advertise that it's legal, maybe I can help my whole family. And good for you, keep up what you're doing. I know this sounds crazy, because I really haven't spoken to you at all, but you've inspired me.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

...you have triplets???? Heck yes that counts a exercise!!! OMG, I have a hard time keeping up with my 2 teen dd's...but 20 month old triplets...
Old 07-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendalina
Stats: start: 196 goal: 165
WOE: Livin la vida LOW CARB!!!!
Start Date: September 22, 2008 - again!!!
hey!!!

I was just wondering about somercizing when eating out? is that addressed at all?

Wendy
Wendalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

SSing out to eat

Hi Wendy, I'm by no means an expert, (I just started) but I got Suzanne's book Eat Great, Lose Weight at the library, and on pg 44-47 she addresses eating out. Hope that helps. I did Atkins (and kept the weight off for 3 years, but then we remodeled the house and I quit being careful...) but I would eat out and have Steak or Chicken and skip the carbs (no croutons on the salad, no potatoes, I'd have cottage cheese instead of french fries etc.) Hope that helps. She addresses the Carbo Meal options, but that is still way too new for me to give anyone advice on. I'm still trying to wrap myself around the idea that I can eat a whole carbs meal and not be cheating...
Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendalina
Stats: start: 196 goal: 165
WOE: Livin la vida LOW CARB!!!!
Start Date: September 22, 2008 - again!!!
thanks Vikki - I guess I could kinda use the Atkins mentality if I wasnt going to have a carbos meal then. thanks!

Wendy
Wendalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Wendy,

Eating out is really pretty easy, for the most part.

Yes, Eat Great/Lose Weight has ideas for pretty much any kind of cuisine. Chinese is the most difficult - and the one I love the most

We go to a diner often (cheap family style food that a range of 46-11 years old will eat) and I get an omelet and bacon. Mexican is pretty easy - just have to watch out for the sauces and no nacho chips, but there are a lot of meats and veggie meals.

I am a cook, have worked in 3 restaurants (1 family style, 1 at a resort, TGIFriday's) Frequently we would get 'special orders' - sauce on the side or broil the fish instead of grill it in butter, etc. MOST of the time it can be accomodated - especially if you ask nicely and let them know you have a 'food allergy' (it's WAY easier than explaining your restrictions).

Make sure you tell them NOT to bring the bread basket to the table.

One thing I do when we go out to eat (rarely) is get a large protein salad, a side of cottage cheese, a steamed veggie with butter. It's a lot of food - and unfortunately for a la carte, it's a little more expensive - but I get what I want and don't feel deprived!!!

You may wish to go to a bit more 'upscale' - not fancy, but not a chain. They're really way more accommodating, since most dishes aren't made up in advance and simply reheated to order.

hth,
Cary
Old 08-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: macongagal
WOE: Somersizing
Start Date: Im down 25 pounds now from 7-27
I have just started this way of eating. LC wasnt getting it anymore. I have the hormonal things going on and I think I need the change to this. I started mid day Wed and I can already feel a difference in my stomach and my energy level.. I hope it continues.. I need to lose about 25 to 30 pounds that have creaped on while doing LC..
macongagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

WendaLina,
Good to see you here.. Im in Macon GA. We chatted some via Private messages a bit ago. I think you had just started the LC . Im loving this WOE. IT is working well so far. I wish there were more coming here. Do you post on her site???
Old 08-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Welcome macongagal!!!

There are probably a lot of lurkers. And yes, there are a lot that post just on her site (it seems), too.

That's awesome about the results!!!!! Yes, once we start detoxing, it's amazing how we feel changes so quickly!

For some reason my body is holding on to the pounds, but the inches are going away. I don't understand, even though I know the "melt" happens.... but I would think the numbers on the scale would be going down, too.

But I'm NOT complaining!!!!! <grins>

Cary
Old 08-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

WOW! this Woe is amazing...I'm never hungry, and I've lost 5 lbs already! Now I need the melt, because my clothes are still snug...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

I must say.. Haha, My undies feel bigger...lol...I have done well. I havent weighed so I dont know If Ive lost. Im not much into the scale thing. I usually just go by the way my clothes fit.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

That's absolutely FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!

yes, my inches are coming off much 'easier' than the lbs..... not sure why, but I'm not complaining! (too much, that is... I put too much emphasis on the d**n scale, still).

The "melt" will come when all your hormones are in balance - insulin especially.

GO GIRL!!!!! YES!!!! This DOES work!

Keep up the great work. Stay focused. Have fun!

Cary
Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mary_M
Stats: size 14/size 12/size 6
WOE: Dr Berg based diet plan
Start Date: 1997; restarted 10/5/10
Hi Ladies,

I'm also following SS'ing... discovered it way back in 1997 when Suzanne was on the Rosie O'Donnell show promoting it. I bought the book and have changed the way I look at eating since then. That's not to say I have followed her plan perfectly at all times (LOL) but I *always* think before I eat, I'm always aware of what I'm putting in my mouth. I know her plan works when I follow it to a "T", I've lost post-baby weight (and then some) in record speed (ie was below pre-baby weight at my 6 week post-partum exams).

After my 3rd baby, I got off-track and while I lost the pregnancy weight initially, I put it all back on while nursing my baby. I got hooked on caffeinated coffee and got tired of the food-combining aspect of SS'ing. At the beginning of the year my dd was 2 but I still had all the baby weight so I decided ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and got back to business with SS'ing and exercising. I've lost 2 dress sizes so far and want to lose 2 more.

My biggest hurdle right now is eating funky foods--for example I've been eating nuts lately because they are quick and convenient and I do a lot of running around with my 3 dds. Last week I really buckled down, stopped drinking caffeinated coffee and cut down on the nuts--and I noticed an inch was gone around my waist in a few days. So I'm going to stop eating all funky foods until I hit my goal size, as long as I get into Level I eating I know that goal size will be reality soon!!

I'm glad to see others are following Suzanne's plan, it rocks! IT DOES WORK IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES!

"Today is a gift from God, that's why it's called the present."

Callanetics addict (5x/wk) -- It Works!!
Mary_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Yay Mary!!!!! Rock it, girl!

You're exactly right - if you follow the plan exactly, it works perfectly!!!!!

I'm finding I don't have to make *too* many adjustments to stay on plan - I just miss a few things that are in no way legal right now. I eat rather simply, just basic food for the most part. I LOVE to cook but just don't have the time right now.

It's great that you notice results right away - what incentive!!!!!

Keep it up!

Cary
Old 08-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Cary, you are doing great too!

I can totally relate, I love to cook but I don't have a lot of time. So I am eating simple meals for the time being. I am going to get out all of my SS'ing books out and go shopping to make some of the recipes. I also love the recipes on her site, I've printed off quite a lot of them and have put them in a binder. Some of my favorites are Deb B's table fudge, September's ranch dressing, "Lazy Man's Pumpkin Cheesecake" and cream cheese pancakes to name a few. Mmmmm, I'm getting hungry just mentioning them...

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Hey All,
i have let you all know. I got on the scale here at home yesterday. I had weighed at the Dr s office around the end of July and I was 172 lbs. I weighed today here at home I was 165 lbs. I can really tell now that this is working for me. My clothes are much looser.. I was really kinda scared that I would have the sugar spikes or lows that I could take. I havent had one yet, Thank Goodness...
Old 08-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macongagal View Post
Hey All,
i have let you all know. I got on the scale here at home yesterday. I had weighed at the Dr s office around the end of July and I was 172 lbs. I weighed today here at home I was 165 lbs. I can really tell now that this is working for me. My clothes are much looser.. I was really kinda scared that I would have the sugar spikes or lows that I could take. I havent had one yet, Thank Goodness...
GREAT JOB!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

I really need to get back into the callenetics again also. I havent done them now for about 6 weeks. We went on vacation and Callenetics went on vacation. LOL. All kidding aside. Im loving this Somersizing. Anyone else have the stomach upset? I will have it at least once daily where the stomach is gruggling and churning. I need to be very close to the bathroom at this time or I will have a major accident. I guess thats part of the gastric juices working...hehehehe
Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Thinking before you eat is THE BIGGEST STEP!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mimi51
Stats: 280/280/180
WOE: somersize
Start Date: 8/10/08
mimi51

Ok this is it im going to do it. ive got all my books in this week from the internet on weight watchers and somersizing.I have been reading you alls blogs all week, getting stoked up. this is a first for me bloging on boards too. Ive lost this same weight over and over, seems like all my life I have fought weight. I start this way of eating tomorrow so I sit here drinking my last snikerdoodle with cream and sugar I have 100 lbs to loose. this is the biggest I have ever been. I think it would be a real inspearation to loose it with you all.
mimi51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

YES!!!! This time.... each and every day

Mimi51 - GREAT attitude!!!!!

I, too, have had the life long battle with weight - but no more!!!!!

100 lbs is only this - 1 lb lost at a time until they add up to 100. Don't look at it like a big goal.... but lots of small ones. Try the first lb... then the next.... then the next. They WILL add up - but just look at each pound by itself. Just like you get through things one day at a time or one step at a time, this WOE and WOL is one day at a time, one meal at a time, one bite at a time.

I'm not sure how you're planning on combining weight watchers and SS - do you have a plan? There are a few WW recipes, just as in any other diet, that are "legal" on SS.... but be careful trying to create your own diet out of it. SS works when you keep it as legal as you can.

You CAN have something 'similar' to your snickerdoodle latte, by the way. That is one thing that I really like - flavored coffees. My favorite now is Decaf, a T of heavy cream (legally, with no carbos meals in site for at least 3 hours), a packet of Stevia and a T of each sugar free caramel and sugar free hazelnut Torani syrup. Just like dessert to me!!!!!

Ask for help here - post your meals if you want and we can all look at them and offer advice. Just remember, though - we're here for you whenever you need us, but the food you put into your mouth is your choice. IF you should eat something not legal - take a deep breath, recommit mentally and emotionally and stay legal the very next meal.

Welcome aboard!!!!

Cary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi51 View Post
Ok this is it im going to do it. ive got all my books in this week from the internet on weight watchers and somersizing.I have been reading you alls blogs all week, getting stoked up. this is a first for me bloging on boards too. Ive lost this same weight over and over, seems like all my life I have fought weight. I start this way of eating tomorrow so I sit here drinking my last snikerdoodle with cream and sugar I have 100 lbs to loose. this is the biggest I have ever been. I think it would be a real inspearation to loose it with you all.