Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Hi Guys, I thought you had to wait an hour after fruit before your carbo meal?......Am I wrong?

Have any of you done SS then gone on to Atkins - lost then stalled and then went back to SS with success? I'm discouraged and not sure what the deal is.

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #272
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCary View Post
Melle - what' s "holy tea"?
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Dr. Miller's Holy Tea[/COLOR] A friend of mine is a distributor, and he gave me some samples...quite a few samples, actually.
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: macongagal
WOE: Somersizing
Start Date: Im down 25 pounds now from 7-27
Sugar,
I had done the atkins for about 5 yrs. The first few months I lost about 15 lbs. Then I hit menopause and nothing for the past 4.5 yrs, until I changed and started SS. Now I have lost around 20 lbs. I think I was doing the atkins so strickly that I wasnt doing well. I didnt have but maybe 20 to 30 carbs a day then. I feel much better now since I have started this program.
Ill be back later to check in with you all. Tell us all what you have been eating this weekend. Im falling into a rut...lol.. Need new ideas..
macongagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #274
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
Sugar wait 20 minutes after eating fruit if having a carbo meal. 3 hours if switching to profat.

B - chicken and a slice of swiss cheese
L - Roast beef with roasted radishes and turnip
D - apple 20 min later oatmeal
Looks like I am eating backwards today!
LCRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChefCary
WOE: Somercize - the plan that WORKS!
Start Date: every day
Guidelines for fruit:
Eat on an empty stomach

Eat alone, then wait 20 minutes and you can have a carbos meal

Eat fruit alone, then wait 60 minutes and you can have a pro/fat meal.

If you want fruit for a snack or dessert you must wait 2 hours after your last meal to avoid any problems.

ALSO - if you're switching between carbos and pro/fats meals, you have to wait 3 hours between them, no matter which you ate first.

Cary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPop View Post
Hi Guys, I thought you had to wait an hour after fruit before your carbo meal?......Am I wrong?

Have any of you done SS then gone on to Atkins - lost then stalled and then went back to SS with success? I'm discouraged and not sure what the deal is.

B

Last edited by ChefCary; 09-28-2008 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: adding additional info
ChefCary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:12 AM   #276
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Cary,
Now I understand why fruit is best eaten in the morning!

This morning I am 1/2 lb away from my 10 pound goal!!! That little sucker is going this week

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 09-29-2008, 03:42 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Good Day everyone,
Eat well today. Im about to start my eggs.
Redhead, You sure are up early...lol
Old 09-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #278
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anitaj71
Just wanted to say hi. Started doing ss at the beginning of Sept and the 'melt' has begun! It is the easiest 'diet' I have ever been on !
anitaj71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Welcome anita - and that's GREAT!!!!!!!!! Yes - it IS easy, or can be. Be careful of just getting in a rut, though... that seems to be the most common "complaint" I read.

Okay everyone... I've been on a L2 long enough. I'm not at my goal weight, not near... but I had taken a 'break' while I had some emotional stuff going on. That seems to have passed... so I'm ready to jump back on L1 now!!!!!!

I know, I know - I'm the preacher of "The next bite, the next meal"... but I'm going to start Wednesday. Today I'm off work and I'm going to make multiple batches of oopsies, and get some chicken roasted ahead of time. I've got ground beef burgers in the freezer, as well as several bags of frozen cauliflower. I stopped at the market yesterday and got some great looking zucchini's. I need to just get physically ready so that I've NO excuses!!!

At least I know that L2 works I maintained, only gaining and losing a few lbs over and over.

Cary
Old 09-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Cary,
Glad you have decided join the majority of us doing the L1 again. Anita, Welcome. Visit often and eat well...
Im sitting here trying to decide what I want for dinner. Hubby isnt wanting much tonite so I wasnt going to make a big meal . I might just do a big salad with some bacon , tomato and cheese. See ya all later.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #281
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

B oopsie egg sandwich
L oopsie chicken and cheese sandwich
D ham and cheese oopsie sandwich

I'm on a sandwich HIGH!! Love those oopsies
Old 09-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Gosh,
I might have to break down and learn about these oopies. Im not a big bread eater in the first place, but you all make them sound very good.
Breakfast was two eggs fried with cheddar cheese and two pieces of bacon.
lunch Salad with ranch dressing.
Snack apple
Dinner was califlower crust pizza. with yellow squash from the freezer.
Snack tonite will be the FF yogurt and oatmeal with davinci syrup.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Oopsies aren't really bread - don't taste like it - but serve the place of bread. I used to love eating sandwiches, and there really isn't anything that you can use in SS in place of it except lettuce (for "wraps") or her spinach "bread" for a pro/fat sandwich.

They taste a teeny bit "egg-y", but I flavor them with garlic before baking if I want a bit different taste. I also put butter and cinnamon/stevia on one if I am missing toast (I used to be a HUGE toast eater in my former life). It doesn't have the texture or taste of bread - and no crunch for toast - but it is a GREAT way to eat a cheeseburger, or a ham/cheese sandwich, or - even an egg sandwich!!! (though those of you that are watching the egg consumption might want to limit how many of those you eat!)

I think they're definitely a good SS food - and great to make food portable!!!

Cary
Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #284
Junior LCF Member

I have been lurking on the other threads and have read a bit about the "yoghurt exception". ( I will add the link if I can find the thread again . . ) I know ss does not count carbs but has anyone been eating full fat yoghurt with fruit as a snack and still lost weight?

I also loved my curries but ss says coconut milk is funky but I see coconut milk used on other low carb 'diets'.

B:steel cut oats decaf coffee
L:salad with cheese and 2 hard boiled eggs
D:chicken with ss shake and bake with eggplant gratin and a salad

Today so far: frozen bluberry and pure orange juice smoothie & later, steel cut oatmeal
Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #285
Junior LCF Member

I also love the oopsies. They are great with burgers. They are a little less messy then wrapping a burger in lettuce.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaj71 View Post
I also loved my curries but ss says coconut milk is funky but I see coconut milk used on other low carb 'diets'.
This is something I'd like to discuss with all of you...her "funky foods". I disagree with her choice of some of the funky foods. For example, nuts. Most nuts I've come across (if they don't contain sugar), do not contain carbs. There are a few carbs, but when you subtract out the fiber, there aren't any.

I asked this question on her site forum..."Don't you subtract the fiber grams?". The only response I got was, "We don't count ANYTHING...we just eat approved foods and nuts contain carbs and protein/fats". Well, that's my point...I don't believe nuts do contain carbs. Nuts and coconut milk do contain one or two net carbs, but so do alot of meats and cheeses that she says are no carb.

What is your opinion on this?
Quote:
I have been lurking on the other threads and have read a bit about the "yoghurt exception". ( I will add the link if I can find the thread again . . ) I know ss does not count carbs but has anyone been eating full fat yoghurt with fruit as a snack and still lost weight?
I would not eat yogurt that contains fruit, simply because you're not supposed to eat ANYTHING with fruit.

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 10-01-2008 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member

I do eat my fruit with anything either. I have been feeling so good lately that I forgot to go see the DR for my B12 shot today. Usually, Im just counting the days until I can go get the shot. I need to go tomorrow afternoon , I supppose.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 AM   #288
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Anyone know if we can have Yucca? I could swear I read it was OK in one of the books but darn if I can find it.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #289
Junior LCF Member

I looked up Yucca in 'Fast and Easy'. She says it's a starchy root = Funky food.

Thank you Melle for the info ! I'm digging out my coconut milk and making a curry this weekend!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you Melle for the info ! I'm digging out my coconut milk and making a curry this weekend!
Well, you're welcome...but, I may be wrong. But, in all honesty, I've pretty much ignored the "coconut milk, nuts, and avocados" as being "funky foods". Most of her other ones (like potatoes and carrots), I don't eat. I'm still losing, so I guess it works for me. It may not work for others.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #291
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks anita.....crap they make great french fries lol
Old 10-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miscmissy
Stats: 228/209/150
Start Date: August 18, 2009
Hello everyone I haven't been on in a while but for an update I have lost 16 lbs all together this week I lost 2 lbs and this is the most and the longest I have ever stuck to a program.

I hope you are all doing well Thanks for the support of the web site I'm glad someone told me about it.
miscmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

There are carbs in nuts actually quite a few - (Carbs in Nuts: Carbohydrates in Nuts)
- and there is also fat AND they have protein. So - you're mixing Pro/fats and carbs. That makes them funky.

We don't subtract out the fiber like At**ns or lots of other diets. She did this to make it SIMPLE - we don't have to count anything!!! By eliminating the funky foods it keeps your insulin in check - that's all. Nuts are good for you - and she stresses eating them in moderation as soon as you reach Level 2. Olives, liver and avocados are all "good for you", too - but those are funky foods that affect your insulin. The basis of Somercizing is to keep your insulin in balance, period.

Meats and cheeses DO contain carbs, but in the grand scheme of things, they don't affect your insulin production as funky foods do. So she's combined foods as best as she can in a way that works as good as it can.

We don't count 'net carbs' because she wanted to make the plan easy to follow (I don't know about you, but counting WW points would be a pain in the tush!!!!! Some can do it - not me!) I LOVE this way of life because I don't really have to think so hard about what I choose to eat and not eat to stay "legal".

Remember the reason why we combine in the first place: "The theory behind food combining is that proteins and carbohydrates digest at different rates. Proteins require an acid environment to be digested, and carbohydrates require a base environment. When protein and carbohydrates are eaten together, the enzymes cancel each other out, creating a halt in the digestion process." THAT causes our bodies to store more of the food as fat since it's not used right away as energy.

If you CHOOSE to alter it, and it works for you then great!!! So you're really NOT "cheating" too much, though - you're simply applying some of the Level 2 foods back in sooner than she recommends. She tries to give you the optimum chance to lose as much weight as you can as quickly as you can while maintaining sound principles of food combining, which is why she says to stay on Level 1 until you lose all the weight you want.

I hope this helps

Cary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle View Post
This is something I'd like to discuss with all of you...her "funky foods". I disagree with her choice of some of the funky foods. For example, nuts. Most nuts I've come across (if they don't contain sugar), do not contain carbs. There are a few carbs, but when you subtract out the fiber, there aren't any.

I asked this question on her site forum..."Don't you subtract the fiber grams?". The only response I got was, "We don't count ANYTHING...we just eat approved foods and nuts contain carbs and protein/fats". Well, that's my point...I don't believe nuts do contain carbs. Nuts and coconut milk do contain one or two net carbs, but so do alot of meats and cheeses that she says are no carb.

What is your opinion on this?
I would not eat yogurt that contains fruit, simply because you're not supposed to eat ANYTHING with fruit.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

YAY!!!!!!!!!! Go girl!!!!!

It does seem "slow" sometimes, but it is SOOOO easy to stay with this program! You can eat REAL food and as many times you need to and not starve yourself.

Keep us posted when you can!

Cary

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscmissy View Post
Hello everyone I haven't been on in a while but for an update I have lost 16 lbs all together this week I lost 2 lbs and this is the most and the longest I have ever stuck to a program.

I hope you are all doing well Thanks for the support of the web site I'm glad someone told me about it.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

anita,

Yeah - that's what doesn't work about comparing other low carb diets with Somercizing. The general idea - watching carb intake - is the same, but the way we go about it is WAY different.

Full fat yogurt combines carbs with fat - that's why we don't eat it. And the fruit is to be eaten alone. This is a basic principle because of the rate of digestion - see a post above this one for the quote from her book as to WHY we combine foods this way.

As I just posted - you CAN "cheat" (add Level 2 foods in while you're still on Level 1 ... but then you're no longer on Level 1, obviously) and still lose weight - but it's not getting your insulin in balance. THAT is the main idea behind SS-ing. Getting horomones (insulin is one, remember) in balance makes our body function better, and makes us FEEL better. Serotonin... (the feel good hormone)... cortisol (the stress hormone).... estrogen (need I really explain that one??!! ha!) .... and here is a list of some of the others and why they are important - Hormone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So yeah... you CAN eat "funky foods" or even combine foods in other ways than she recommends - but then you're not really Somercizing (which is okay - you don't HAVE to!).

Just my 2 cents. I'm NOT on a soapbox, really - but I'll confess that one of my biggest pet peeves is people that do something, ANYTHING, and don't follow the "rules" (or directions, or suggestions) and then complain when it doesn't turn out the way that it's supposed to. They think a tweak here or a small change there "won't hurt anything". I've seen WAY too many people on low carb programs (not just this one) complain it doesn't work, and go try to find the next quick-fix promise, and to promptly change the "rules" to that one, too, because they don't want to make any sacrifices.

Not eating fruit with yogurt (a favorite of mine Pre-SS) is a SMALL sacrifice to pay for me to be losing steadily. I'll be able to enjoy it sometime, in moderation. I can see myself following Level 1 for the rest of my life while adding in Level 2 meals as I feel I need/want them, and then enjoying "illegal" foods (potatoes come to mind) if I REALLY want them!!!)

Sorry..... I am NOT taking anything out on you - truthfully and honestly. It's been a really long week and I've been reading too many posts/blogs that complain about not losing weight on other kinds of diets, too - but again, they don't wanna follow the "rules". I'm trying to stay motivated by reading others' successes, but sometimes it's difficult to find them.

Cary

Quote:

B:steel cut oats decaf coffee
L:salad with cheese and 2 hard boiled eggs
D:chicken with ss shake and bake with eggplant gratin and a salad

Today so far: frozen bluberry and pure orange juice smoothie & later, steel cut oatmeal
Old 10-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Hello all,
Im am sooo glad it is Friday. It has been such a long week. Ive been doing well with my eating. I still havent been to get my b12 shot. I guess it will now be Monday before I get there. I weighed again at my school where I work. I did this Tuesday and I have lost a total of 19 lbs. This is also while It is the TOM. I am very grately I can lose on this program. Usually, I gain about 5 lbs during TOM.. Im off now to go have an apple for a snack before bed. Eat well.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

I guess I should try to stay away from nuts. They were just such a big help, when I was counting carbs. I'd get those tubes of peanuts (2 for a dollar) and stick them in my purse. At work, I'd grab one of those when I needed something besides the cookies and brownies we sell. And, at 3 net carbs per tube, it wasn't bad at all.

But, I need to find something else to snack on. I can't really eat at work...no time. It has to be snacks (little bites now and then). What does everyone snack on?
Old 10-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Melle,
I snack on apples, peaches , nectarines,etc in the fruit family. I do cheese sometimes too. You just have to make sure you wait 2 to 3 hours til you eat carbs or fruits then.. You know the rules of somersizing. You would be amazed at how long you can go on a small piece of cheddar cheese. lol... Im hungry. I havent ate yet so Im going to go make some eggs.. Be back later to check in. Eat Well..
Old 10-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mork
Hi everyone. I am just learning more about SS and just thought you could have WW bread or wraps on level one. Did I misunderstand? ALso-would some of you please just post some of your sample menus and your success you have had on her plan. thanks!! Right now I am reading her lose weight feel great book. How about you? Which do you like? Seems to be a lot of info. in all her books and is a little over whelming.
mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

B -

How are you doing??? I'm sorry no one could answer your question about Atkins, but I hope we did with regard to fruit

You were discouraged - are you less discouraged now? Is there anything we can do?

Cary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPop View Post

B