Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
[QUOTE=vli1127;11973135]I agree Dianne. We SHOULD post weekly here so we can keep this thread active.

I was reading through a thread concerning Overeaters Anonymous and one of the posters suggested TOPPS (her quote) and someone responded saying it was a religious based program. ????? Not sure what that was about. But, someone else replied saying that TOPS isn't religious. Jamie, I think you may have posted on there????
Yeah, I saw that thread too. I think I might have posted there too. I've never heard mention of religion either in my group. But overeaters Anonymous is quite religious.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=cleochatra;11973229]My team is freaking loving me right now. I went in the first week of the contest with an 8 pound loss, the second week with a 7 pound loss, and the third week with a 3.5 pound loss!

That is so great, Jamie. I'll bet everyone is wondering what your secret is :-) Are you telling anyone what you're eating or just keeping it to yourself. If I remember right you're eating VLC, right. Mainly Jerky and bacon right now?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #213
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I tell people the truth: I avoid sugars and processed foods and try to eat as organically and healthfully as possible. That's good enough for now!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I tell people the truth: I avoid sugars and processed foods and try to eat as organically and healthfully as possible. That's good enough for now!
This is what I say most of the time, also. I will tell them more if they ask me. But they accept this quite well and a lot of time say they can't imagine giving up sugar. Huh? To each their own.

There is one lady that each week is looking for the magic cure/pill/secret. I just want to say - give up carbs!

Vicki, I think it sounds like a good plan to submit papers to be a KOPS. If you start staying at the bottom of your leeway, you can lower it.

Susan, I think the opening of the Farmer's Market sounds good to me too!! Have fun there.

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html

Last edited by NWLoser; 05-15-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I generally tell people this too. Last week a woman from TOPS saw me at the store. She was telling me how good I was doing and then she looked in my cart. cream, cream cheese, eggs, and 10 pounds of beef, and I saw her face change. LOL. She slowing asked me what plan I was doing. I told her low carb. She said she was doing low carb too (while still staring in my cart) but she said she hasn't been losing. After talking with her it turned out she was also doing low fat. So I kind of tried to explain the high fat thing to her. (but didn't want to give away all my secrets :-)) She really did seem interested in it but not sure if she was really convinced. But she did want the recipe for the oopsie rolls :-)
Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #216
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
But overeaters Anonymous is quite religious

I beg to differ. OA is not religious, but spiritual.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
But overeaters Anonymous is quite religious

I beg to differ. OA is not religious, but spiritual.
I was just going by the 12 steps, where god is mentioned in almost every one :-)
Old 05-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #218
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tealover
WOE: The Metabolism Miracle/Diane Kress
Start Date: 5/22/09 (starting over with my husband)
I just caught the tail end of the conversation. So, is talking about low carb at TOPS unacceptable?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #219
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I think it depends on the group, tealover! I always call the area captain to ensure low-carbers are allowed prior to going to a new group. While the local chapters are, by far high-carb, low-cal, TOPS advocated taking off pounds sensibly, whether through weight loss surgery, or via any healthy plan.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys,
How's everyone doing with TOPS? I was the biggest loser this morning. Only a pound and a half but I'll take it :-) Lots of losers in my group today but they were small, I guess.
We had a special guest today. A woman that lost 148 pounds. She brought some before and after pictures. She looked amazing but she did it with a high sugar diet. She was giving us little food tips and she said there was a coffee shop near us that had a smoothie that was really good. She said it had a lot of sugar in it but it was fat free and only 250 calories :-) Good for you if you can do it but it certainly isn't for me.
Anyway, just wanted to check in since folks have been quiet lately :-)
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #221
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi all, I missed TOPS last week because I was in ND. They had a no gain meeting last week. This week was another story, more gains than lost. I did lose 4.25 lbs today and I too was this weeks best loser. I am on the way back down, thank goodness. I did apply for KOPS status since I am 1/4 lb under the 170 goal slip. I hope all is going well with everyone else.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Hi all, I missed TOPS last week because I was in ND. They had a no gain meeting last week. This week was another story, more gains than lost. I did lose 4.25 lbs today and I too was this weeks best loser. I am on the way back down, thank goodness. I did apply for KOPS status since I am 1/4 lb under the 170 goal slip. I hope all is going well with everyone else.
Oh, Vicki, that's wonderful. Must be the holiday messing with everyone. To me, I love the holidays that are based around barbecues. Lots of meat and salads :-)
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #223
Blabbermouth!!!

That is what I made. We had bratwurst patties, hamburgers, cole slaw and ugly green beans (BF wasn't crazy about these). For my protein, I only had a burger and I put it and all the fixins' on a lettuce leaf. I don't miss the bun at all. Tonight was a repeat but I had half a bratwurst patty. I also made a yummy dessert. I took some plain yogurt and sprinkled in some SF cheesecake pudding powder (Approx. 1/3 c of yogurt and 1 Tbsp of the powder, chopped nuts and 2 tsp of Nestle SF chocolate quick) yummy!

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs

Last edited by vli1127; 05-26-2009 at 06:18 PM..
Old 05-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, Vicki, that sounds wonderful! Gotta love this woe :-)
Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Susan and Vicki. Good job to both of you on your losses! Vicki, how exciting to become a KOPS. That is great. Both of you were the best losers! WOW!!!

Susan, I can hardly believe that woman could lose that much eating like that. I wonder how many calories she ate a day. I would never be able to do it or maintain it. I have lost weight so many different ways but could never stick with it. [COLOR="Red"]I LOVE THIS WAY OF EATING[/COLOR]!! I can always find something to eat at a restaurant. I just give the sides to my husband or have them leave them off. I love grilled meat. I grill almost everyday on our deck. Yum yum! I will never go back to my old way of eating. I am just so much happier with myself eating like this. I am not even tempted to cheat with junk.

Have a great evening.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #226
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SewLowCarber
Stats: 257/213/145
WOE: Lowcarb
Start Date: May 2002
Hi Ladies! I joined TOPS in 2002 and lost 57 lbs fairly quick. I was utilizing The Fat Flush Plan at the time. I have gained 10 of those pounds back off and on through the last 4 years. I feel more like a KOP at my group, than a TOP. I obviously need to lose more weight, but I'm just maintaining at the moment. So, I am coming to you and this forum with the hopes of renewing my motivation to get back on track. I have to admit, just reading this particular thread alone has given me some sparks in my kindling....maybe a fire in my soul will ensue.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome SewLowCarber! I hope you continue to post here so we can get to know you.

I personally love my TOPS chapter. We all eat differently but help support each other on the weight loss journey.

I hope you get your fire going in your soul!! I know that once you get the motivation you will start losing. There is a lot of great support and success stories to read on this forum. Let us know if we can help you. HUGS.

Last edited by NWLoser; 05-26-2009 at 10:28 PM..
Old 05-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Hi Susan and Vicki. Good job to both of you on your losses! Vicki, how exciting to become a KOPS. That is great. Both of you were the best losers! WOW!!!

Susan, I can hardly believe that woman could lose that much eating like that. I wonder how many calories she ate a day. I would never be able to do it or maintain it. I have lost weight so many different ways but could never stick with it. [COLOR="Red"]I LOVE THIS WAY OF EATING[/COLOR]!! I can always find something to eat at a restaurant. I just give the sides to my husband or have them leave them off. I love grilled meat. I grill almost everyday on our deck. Yum yum! I will never go back to my old way of eating. I am just so much happier with myself eating like this. I am not even tempted to cheat with junk.

Have a great evening.
Hi Dianne, She said she lost on 1400 calories and now she's maintaining on 1800. She did eat allot of veggies. she talked allot about eating carrots, bananas and fat free yogurt. She went to some kind of weight loss clinic here and they pretty much told her what to eat. She had a list of "free" foods which she could eat as much as she wanted without counting them towards her calories for the day. She gave us the list. They include carrots, tomatos, sugarfree gum, summer squash, egg beaters, rhubarb, jello, coffee and soda, ect. She also ate allot of canned veggies It costed her 48.00 a month.
I guess everyone is wired differently so some folks can handle eating like that. Not me :-)
Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewLowCarber View Post
Hi Ladies! I joined TOPS in 2002 and lost 57 lbs fairly quick. I was utilizing The Fat Flush Plan at the time. I have gained 10 of those pounds back off and on through the last 4 years. I feel more like a KOP at my group, than a TOP. I obviously need to lose more weight, but I'm just maintaining at the moment. So, I am coming to you and this forum with the hopes of renewing my motivation to get back on track. I have to admit, just reading this particular thread alone has given me some sparks in my kindling....maybe a fire in my soul will ensue.
Welcome to the forum. It does help to just read what others are going through. I lost 50 pounds about a year abd a half ago and then I had trouble losing anymore. So I joined TOPS hoping that it'll give me a jump start and keep me accountable to lose the rest.
When is your meetings? Be sure and keep us informed how everything goes. I try to check in here every Tuesday when I get home from my meeting.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #230
Junior LCF Member

Thanks!

Thanks again for the encouragement. I was happy to see a TOPS thread on this forum, as TOPS has really kept me from gaining all of my weight back. I hate to spoil the groups numbers each week, if nothing else. Now, that I am trying to turn a fresh page and start losing again, TOPS is going to be even more critical to me....and now, I have you all!

My meetings are on Thursdays. I am currently up about 3 lbs. I ate wrong this past weekend, but that is nothing new to me. I would eat wrong on the weekends and be good the rest of the time, to keep from showing a gain. How reckless is that?

The only way to not have cravings and to lose, is to stay true to low carb. I am also having to give the diet soda up. I crave carbs when I drink the stuff. Anyone else have that problem? I could try the splenda varieties, I guess....I believe it is just the aspartame versions that peak the cravings.

Good luck with the weigh-ins this week.

SewLowCarber
Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, I couldn't live on a diet like that lady did. Yuck! It would get boring for me and cause huge cravings. But like you said, to each their own. I love this way too much!

SewLowCarber it is great to have you join us. Our chapter meets on Thursday night. So I will try and post after that each week. Feel free to post at any time as I subscribe to this thread and know when there are new posts.

I do drink a lot of diet soda. I know bad me!! I have been trying to cut back. Apparently aspartame affects everyone differently. I think it is best not to drink it but it is my last vice. LOL! I do stay true to low carb and I don't cheat on weekends. Sometimes I overeat on weekends but not with foods that are not low carb.

I will go to TOPS forever as I know I need to keep accountable. I do not want to ever gain this weight back. I want to continue to be a KOPS and hopefully inspire others. I will be going to other chapters speaking as I am the runner up state queen this year. I am going to be speaking at another chapter in a couple of weeks. If asked, I do tell them how I eat. I usually tell them that I have eliminated sugar and all processed foods. I actually eat very simply. I eat meat, veggies, limited fruits, nuts and fat.

Have a great day everyone!!

Last edited by NWLoser; 05-27-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

SewLowCarber, I can't handle spenda. Gives me terrible headaches and stomache cramps. Aspertame doesn't seem to bother me. I don't drink as much soda as I use to but if I have a sweet craving I'll go for a diet rootbeer. I tried cutting it out completely but it didn't seem to effect my weight loss one way or the other so I have one every day or every other day (I use to drink at least 5 a day). But I have read on here of folks where it does effect them. So you just have to do what works for you.
Oh, I just reread what your question was. LOL. No it doesn't give me cravings. With some folks anything sweet will give them cravings. Do you get cravings with other things or just soda?
Diet Rite makes good soda made with splenda (that's where I discovered I couldn't do splenda) So you might want to experiment and see.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #233
Junior LCF Member

I eat sugar, I crave sugar. I eat anything carby, I crave carby....so, does it stand to reason that if I am drinking sweet, I am craving sweet? Well, I reckon I can just get this aspartame (Lord have mercy on me please) out of my system and then go from there to check how it feels. I feel like crud right now.....

I am a binge eater. I cannot put a psychological aspect to the binging...just crave and eat a lot of food sometimes. I do better eating and being faithful to lowcarb. So, that alone makes me suspect insulin involvement in the binging. hmmm......I hear that aspartame spikes insulin the same as carbs and sugar. Could that be the connection? The insulin spike?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #234
Blabbermouth!!!

SewLowCarber, Great to have you on board. I have heard that aspartame and other artifical sweetner tend to cause cravings. I don't use a lot of it nor do I drink a lot of SF pop but, my BF drinks Crystal Light all the time so I suspect I will be making it a lot this summer.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

So glad to see more activity on here again.

My meeting is tomorrow night. Maybe I will be the best KOPS loser and we will all be winners this week.

SewLowCarber you just have to do trial and error to see what works for you. I am pretty strict about not eating off plan even though I am at goal. I don't want to get on that slippery slope of gaining it back. Right now, I maintain fairly easily. But like I said I am a major Cherry Zero drinker. I know I should give it up but it is my last vice and I just am not ready to let go. I used to eat Russell Stover SF chocolate candies but realized it wasn't worth the gut ache, etc. Plus they do have quite a few calories. If I really need a chocolate fix, I do on occasion eat a square of 85% Lindt Dark Chocolate. It is not sweet and seems to satisfy me. It is just 52.5 calories for one square and 2 carbs. That is not net. Before lowcarb I was a major chocolaholic. It was nothing to eat 2-3 candy bars at a time. Now I have not had any regular candy for 2 1/2 years and can honestly say I don't crave it any more. We keep it in the house as my husband likes it but I never eat it.

Have a great evening everyone!!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

I lost 1/2 lb. tonight at TOPS. I wasn't the best KOPS loser as one lady lost only 1/4 lb. I think I mentioned before it is the least amount of change to be the best KOPS. I am at 117.75 which I am happy about. I would like to maintain at about 116-117. My KOPS goal is 122 but I will probably eventually change it to 120.

I hope everyone is having a great night and have a great weekend!!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #237
Junior LCF Member

Nice job on your weigh-in NWLoser. Even though I was up by 3 lbs a few days ago, I turtled at my meeting tonight. I was glad for that. I also managed to come home and not binge eat on sweets as a "reward." So, hopefully I won't spend the latter part of the week undoing the damage I usually would do right after weigh-in. Maybe I can see a loss. Plus, this weekend is our SRD and 8 of us are attending. That is motivating.

Have a good week.
SewLowCarber
Old 05-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Good job SewLowCarber for turtling. Great job on avoiding the binge. I used to do that after meetings. I didn't eat anything off plan but just a lot! Then I would go up a little in weight and work the rest of the time getting it back off. So I don't do it any more.

SRD is really motivating. I hope you find lots of motivation there! I have only attended 2 so far but really enjoyed them. I met lots of neat people and was inspired.

Have a great time!

Dianne

Last edited by NWLoser; 05-29-2009 at 12:32 AM..
Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 AM   #239
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrats Dianne on the weight loss.

What the heck is a turtle?????

Oh, and what are you two doing up in the middle of the night LOL!!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #240
Junior LCF Member

A turtle just means I didn't gain or lose. :-)

It's the weekend ladies! I hope everyone has a great one, and stays on plan. It's a tough time for me with all the family around, but I am going to persevere! Hope you all do the same.

SewLowCarber
Closed Thread