Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Oh, you guys are killing me :-) Can't wait to hear your news when you get back from SRD.

Dianne, Sorry. I hadn't realized that I had never signed my name. (Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't :-))

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #152
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
tomswife, WTG with the wt loss. I had to go back and reread some posts.

Our topic last night was from an article printed in a Woman's Day mag from a couple of years ago. The top 10 foods or something like that. It included broth based soup eaten twice a day, cauliflower, pnuts, salads, bulgur, eggs, fish, apples, and I can't remember what else now, could be eaten daily to help with satiety. DUH

The leader read a letter from the regional person and she included the benefits of regular exercise. Like I didn't know that already, as I am sure everyone else did too. Like you said, I can't believe if these people are anything like me who have dieted on and off for years, which I am sure they have, they probably know everything there is to know about nutrition for the most part. Heck, we all could be dieticians LOL.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Vicki, I will be excited to hear your news also after SRD! When is yours held?

Have a great day all you fellow TOPS members. I am off to go shopping with my daughter and granddaughter. Last time almost everything I bought was for dear gd. She is almost 3.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #154
Blabbermouth!!!

Our SRD is May 16 and 17. When is yours Dianne?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, Our SRD is usually around that time also. But this year it is going to be early. It is April 17-18.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #156
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi, it was so nice to find this thread as I have been playing with the thought of rejoining TOPS. However, as other folks here mentioned, I don't know how I will respond to all the talk about lo-cal and high-carb.

Still thinking about it
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Eliza - Just my two cents, it is well worth it for the weekly support. You might even be surprised that not everyone in the group does lowfat. I just tune it out if they are talking about it. I know by staying with TOPS, that I will maintain my loss. If I am not accountable on a weekly basis, I will tend to overeat and probably gain it back. So I am going to be a lifetime member. You can always visit a group without joining. They allow visits. If you are in a large enough area, there are usually more than one group and you could visit several to see if one fits for you. If you go to TOPS.org you can do a search by using your zip code to find a group/groups close to you. I live outside a very small town and we have 2 chapters. There are actually 9 chapters within about 10 miles of me. You can check by going to https://www.tops.org/imisapps/Chapte...er_Locator.asp

Good luck whatever you decide.

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Eliza - Just my two cents, it is well worth it for the weekly support. You might even be surprised that not everyone in the group does lowfat. I just tune it out if they are talking about it. ... I live outside a very small town and we have 2 chapters. There are actually 9 chapters within about 10 miles of me. You can check by going to https://www.tops.org/imisapps/Chapte...er_Locator.asp

Good luck whatever you decide.
Thanks NWLoser
I live in a major city and there are many chapters where I live. I feel the same way as you - being accountable and having the face-to-face interaction is paramount. By the way, great job on the fantastic weight loss!!!! Woohoo!

On another note, I love the Northwest. I used to live in the Seattle/Tacoma area.
Eliza

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 03-20-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Thanks NWLoser
I live in a major city and there are many chapters where I live. I feel the same way as you - being accountable and having the face-to-face interaction is paramount. By the way, great job on the fantastic weight loss!!!! Woohoo!

On another note, I love the Northwest. I used to live in the Seattle/Tacoma area.
Eliza
Thanks Eliza! I hope you find a chapter that is great! I love mine! They are all so supportive. I live in Oregon and I love it here.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #160
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I lived in the Aloha/Beaverton area in Oregon and in Tacoma, WA!

I love the northwest, but Colorado kicks the rear, too....
Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I lived in the Aloha/Beaverton area in Oregon and in Tacoma, WA!

I love the northwest, but Colorado kicks the rear, too....
Cleochatra, the Northwest is beautiful, but the economic situation was bad for our family - I couldn't get a teaching job there to save my life! Finally, we packed up and moved to TX, and are currently loooooving the sunshine and warm weather. I still miss the NW though, and the kind of people who live there - namely, my relaxed, granola-eating, sock-in-sandal wearing treehugger friends You don't see too many of this kind here in TX.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 03-21-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Old 03-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #162
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I lived in Texas for 6 years, and I tell you what. It wasn't easy. I never really made friends there, because people thought I was too funny and easy going. People there can be pretty intense--where I lived anyway!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I lived in Texas for 6 years, and I tell you what. It wasn't easy. I never really made friends there, because people thought I was too funny and easy going. People there can be pretty intense--where I lived anyway!
Yep, people are nice, just in a different way.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #164
Blabbermouth!!!

TOPS tonight and I was down 3 1/4 lb. Yahoo. I am now officially below my goal wt of 170. Installation of officers was tonight as well and I am now the new leader. I guess I will put in for KOPS next week.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys,
Had the meeting this morning. I was the biggest loser. 3.5 pounds. YAH!
Have a good night :-)

Susan
Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations Vicki!! WTG! You definitely should put in to be a KOPS next week. I bet you will be a great leader.

Our installation of officers is next week. I will be installed as treasurer for the third time. I am comfortable with that though. I have a routine established and so I don't mind.

Congratulations Susan! That is an awesome loss!! WTG! Congrats on being the best loser. You will probably start blowing them away and be best loser all of the time!

Do any of you have "weigh-in" clothes? I have to admit I do. I like to know exactly how I did and if I wear the same clothes, I can be sure it is accurate. I know - pretty bad huh? Lots of times I change after I weigh. I don't want them to think I don't have any more clothes.

We are a great bunch of TOPS losers! I have been the best KOPS the last 3 weeks. To be the best KOPS of the week, you need to have the least amount of weight change. You also have to be in leeway. I turtled 3 weeks in a row.

Have a great night!!
Old 03-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #167
Blabbermouth!!!

Dianne, I don't wear the same thing every week when I weigh in but I certainly don't wear jeans LOL. This week I was in scrubs since that is what I wear on Tuesdays taking students to clinical. Otherwise, I have worn light weight work out pant and a t shirt.

Susan, congrats on the wt loss this week.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, I guess I am just a nerd about weighing! I keep thinking I will start wearing different clothes but I haven't done it yet! I can't see myself ever wearing jeans to weigh though! Unless I was under leeway which is very doubtful that will ever happen! I would have to be under 115, which is highly unlikely! LOL!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

I hope everyone's weigh in this week is good. I lost 2.5 lbs tonight, yahoo. I am on the down swing again.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #170
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tealover
WOE: The Metabolism Miracle/Diane Kress
Start Date: 5/22/09 (starting over with my husband)
I am seriously considering joining TOPS. I found an eating plan that works for me (reducing my calories and also reducing carbs), so I'm not about to join another Weight Watchers class or Jenny Craig, etc. This time I'm doing it my way. Keeping it simple.

I haven't read all the posts yet, but I'm glad to see this thread is active.

Can you tell me what you enjoy about TOPS and what I can expect? I went to a meeting many years ago and enjoyed it, but never followed through. I'm wondering if meetings are the same. The one I went to was very homey and friendly.

Also, is anyone else watching calories along with lowering carbs?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

That is so great, Vicki. 2.5 pounds is awesome. Can you believe we had a blizzard come through this morning. Ugh. I'm so ready for some sunshine. Anyway, So I had to miss the meeting this morning. My scale said I was down a couple pounds. That's all that matters anyway :-)
I sure hope this is the last round of bad weather for this year.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:07 AM   #172
Blabbermouth!!!

tealover, I like the support that we give each other, the accountability at a reasonable price and the hokey contests LOL.

I was elected leader for this year and led the meeting last night even though I wasn't supposed to start until April. But, the past leader was absent. We have a booklet that we give to new members that contains the pledges, member's names, addresses, birthdays and joining month along with a place to record weekly weigh ins. Another member is in the process of updating this. I asked the members and sent around a sheet for people to include their email addresses if interested. I also threw out the idea of having a "Pack the house" night sometime in May. This is where each member would invite a friend. If that person ended up joining, both the new member and the old member would receive a gift of some sort.

Dianne or tomswife, any ideas that you can throw my way about contests, gimmics, incentives etc. would be most helpful.

Last edited by vli1127; 04-01-2009 at 04:08 AM..
Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
Tried to go to my 1st TOPS meeting since moving to Georgia - and no one showed up. Really sad.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #174
Blabbermouth!!!

Melissa, sorry you had that experience. Don't give up. Is there another meeting available in your area that you could try? You may want to contact someone on the TOPS website and see if there is still a meeting taking place. Maybe it isn't but the info in the newspaper wasn't removed???
Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #175
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tealover
WOE: The Metabolism Miracle/Diane Kress
Start Date: 5/22/09 (starting over with my husband)
Vicki, thank you for answering. I like that you can follow whatever plan you want on TOPS. That really appeals to me.

I'm going on the website to find a meeting near me this week.

Thanks!

P.S. I like hokey too!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Melissa, sorry you had that experience. Don't give up. Is there another meeting available in your area that you could try? You may want to contact someone on the TOPS website and see if there is still a meeting taking place. Maybe it isn't but the info in the newspaper wasn't removed???
I got the info from the TOPS website. I will email the organizers next time - see what kind of turnout before I drive to another meeting.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone .

I just got back from the beach this afternoon. I have been gone 3 days and am just starting to catch up on my reading on this forum.

I think TOPS is an excellent place for support and "hokey" contests to make it fun. To me the contests is part of what spurred me on to lose. I am competitive though. I love the weekly accountability and will be a lifer there. My group has become my friends and we can laugh, cry, hug, help and encourage each other.

I would contact the area captain of your area Melissa as the TOPS website may not be updated on where/when, etc. for meetings.

Congrats on the loss Vicki! Did you send in the form to be a KOPS?

Just a little more than 2 weeks and I will get to tell you about our state SRD winners. I can't wait!!

If anyone has more questions, please post them. I know that Susan, Vicki or I would be glad to answer them.

Susan, you guys had a blizzard!!!!! Yikes! Too bad you couldn't weigh in with that loss.

It was pretty stormy at the coast this last weekend and this week. I have been over there from Thursday evening until Sunday and then back Monday until now. Then my husband said we are going again on Friday for the weekend. I enjoy it but then I don't get anything done at home. We go over to our place there and I end up being a slug and sleeping a lot!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #178
Blabbermouth!!!

Man, I wish the weather around here was nice enough to go to the beach. We are still battling winter weather (snow showers ICK). When will it be spring.

No, I didn't put in for KOPS. Since I am losing again, I will wait. I have another wt slip that has 165 as a goal wt. from the mid 90's! I never thought it was attainable and here I am
Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Woohoo Vicki!! Congrats on the scale moving. I am happy to report that this morning after my beach chick trip (my mom & niece) that I am still at 119 which is great. I half expected that it might be up a little from snacking a little more. We went to 3 super quilt stores and boy did we buy fabric!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Was able to visit my 1st TOPS meeting tonight and I fell in love w/ the chapter. I can't wait to go back next Monday. I just need to find someone to watch my son for a couple of hours so I can attend the meeting, not just weigh-in. Wish me luck.
Closed Thread