Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #1501
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Well ... I had a quick mention in the weight room (after the meeting) of the KOPS thing with respect to the weight recorder's report after I heard them complaining that we lost 9 pounds and gained 12 that week ... and I mentioned that 1.5 pounds of that gain was my weight gain (pms week) which still technically left me 1.5 pounds below KOPS goal.. The ladies mentioned that it didn't make sense to them either .. which made me a little happier, so if I can figure out whether the weight recorder's rules are across-the-board, or chapter-by-chapter, maybe everyone would be happy to change them

I was worried about stepping on toes .. I am a newcomer after all .. but maybe it is disheartening to everyone to hear those numbers week after week .. which can often have gains from KOPS .. there are 10 of us! and most come regularly ...

My talk went really well although I was nervous. I created some handouts and stuff on the glycemic index and it was a good way to introduce the idea of taking carbs into account without asking anyone to count anything extra or make major changes .. I took the glycemic load values and simply listed things as Low, Medium, and High as far as impact on the blood sugar / insulin response - explaining that the insulin response, after taking care of immediate energy needs, sends the excess glucose straight to fat and tends to keep it there when you eat certain foods, etc ..

Anyhow, if anyone wants a copy of the handout I made, etc, shoot me a pm ... I think it's a good way to show the evils of things like white potatoes, white bread, and rice and how even the healthy carbs stand in relation to one another ... maybe eventually I'll convert everyone to lowcarb .....

ehhhhhhhhhhhh, maybe not, lol!

How did everyone else fare at your meetings?

P

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #1502
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Pauline, it sounds like you had a great meeting. I might have to do a similar program in the future.

I am still waiting word on the rules for reporting gains/losses. I will let you know the official word as soon as I hear. I just went through my emails sent and I sent it to the wrong "Linda"! LOL! No wonder I haven't heard a reply. So I just sent it to our coordinator (the correct Linda).

Have a great day!

Last edited by NWLoser; 09-28-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Old 09-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #1503
Major LCF Poster!

This is the reply I got from our state coordinator about gains/losses for KOPS.

Quote:
Dianne
You are correct. KOPS gains or losses should not be part of the weekly tally.
KOPS are allowed to gain within leeway, so why would the chapter have to report a "legal" gain.
There is no place in the rules or chapter manual where this is mentioned.
If you'll tell me which chapter, I can set them straight - and I would certainly not mention where I heard it.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #1504
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Taking a break from TOPS for now, I will still post here though. I have taken on too much and need to have one night in the week where I am not doing anything. I will return in Dec.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #1505

Thanks so much for the info Dianne! Although .. that is weird it isn't somewhere official! I will have a read-through of our chapter's bylaw or whatever that sheet was they gave me, lol! I am not quite sure how to go about it .. I did also see mention on the TOPs website of weight recorder or weight room rules .. I guess I'll go see if its in there somewhere / somehow!! unless your coordinator has any ideas ... we're clear across the country, lol!!!

Glad to hear you'll continue posting here with us Vicki!! We're going to need one another through the holidays .. I know **I** need all of you ...

Pauline
Old 09-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #1506
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Taking a break from TOPS for now, I will still post here though. I have taken on too much and need to have one night in the week where I am not doing anything. I will return in Dec.
Take care of yourself while you take your break. Don't let this give you the "opportunity" to slip into bad habits.

Pauline, I know it is weird about the KOPS gains/losses but we were always told they did not count. HTH.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #1507
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
TaDa I know at our meeting the one KOPS weight is not recorded. There are only 11 members.

Vickie, Take good care of yourself and have a wonderful time out for you...

Dianne Hope you have a really good week Thank you for the support

Some how some way I got rid of ONE more lb.

I really need to buckle down and get this weight off.. I Know I can do better.late night snacking staying up to late I am a night owl. Hope you all have a Great week, I will not be weighing in next Mon as I am going to Ky to see some family.

Last edited by tybeeanna; 09-29-2010 at 10:52 AM..
Old 10-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #1508
Major LCF Poster!

Boy I can slip into those bad habits REAL FAST Not sure if I will be home to weigh in or not.have been in Ky. Everyone have a good day...
Old 10-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #1509

Tybee .. just keep at it Girl!!!

I am playing Dorothy at TOPS on Tuesday in a skit one of the co-leaders wrote ... very much not looking forward to wearing her old square dancing dress. I look like a 45 year old in a toddler's dress <deep sigh> lol! It had better not be cold!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #1510
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybeeanna View Post
Boy I can slip into those bad habits REAL FAST Not sure if I will be home to weigh in or not.have been in Ky. Everyone have a good day...
You too tybee! Let us know if you weigh-in or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Tybee .. just keep at it Girl!!!

I am playing Dorothy at TOPS on Tuesday in a skit one of the co-leaders wrote ... very much not looking forward to wearing her old square dancing dress. I look like a 45 year old in a toddler's dress <deep sigh> lol! It had better not be cold!!!
Sorry Pauline but I am sitting here giggling at the thought of you in an old square dancing dress. Let us know how it goes. Did you say anything about not including KOPS in the gains/losses?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #1511

Dianne ... so I get to weigh-in last week and the ladies in the weight room are talking about the whole "KOPS stats included in Weight Reporter's Report" thing .. and I mention that I emailed the coordinator about it (*she* never replied at all ..). And then I mentioned my friend in Oregon and what you found out .. so as it turns out, I am not the only one thinking about this .. so I think I'm going to let it ride a little while, and see whether the "officers" of my chapter do inquire about it ... more p.c. that way ...

but lol at last weeks weigh-in, I stopped one of the women who was about to ring the bell for my "weightloss" .. from being under goal, to being more under goal. They prolly think I'm annoying, because a lot of the KOPS behave as if they are always trying to lose weight and are happy to have their "weightloss" acknowledged .. me, on the other hand, I need some normalcy and not to be reminded that I am under some kind of "threat" with respect to my weight when I am doing perfectly fine, lol!

<end o' rant>

betcha yer sorry ya asked ..

Pauline
Old 10-13-2010, 03:36 AM   #1512

Okay Phew!!! My stint in the squaredancing dress isn't until next week! lol! I will see if we can get someone to take a picture of all of us, lol! I am going to wear a white sweater with it .. and have to figure out some leggings so I do not freeze!! The sweater should help me look less ridiculous in the huge poofy sleeves, lol!

I went out for coffee after my meeting yesterday and had a good talk with two of the girls. it is funny, I was also talking to another KOPS who is a nun that day and all were saying how the minute they left TOPS, the weight started to come back on .. and that it is a good lifetime thing. I am feeling like I made a good decision to join!

Yesterday was the quarterly awards and I got my first little KOPS certificate for a full quarter which was nice. I have to figure out what to do with them! The funny thing ... when it was time for the KOPS awards and the KOPS got up to get them .. there were more people standing up than there were in the audience that day .. 13 KOPS!! It was awesome! We all giggled about the day when there's be no one left sitting ....

This thread is getting quiet .. how is everyone else doing??!!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #1513
Major LCF Poster!

Great post Pauline. I started a 3-ring binder with page protectors to keep my certificates and such. It is getting pretty full but it is fun to look back at it.

I will be a lifer in TOPS as I never want to have to lose a bunch of weight ever again. It is great after being a yo-yo dieter all my married life to finally be at a stable weight for more than a few months. I have now kept off the first 100 lbs. for over 2 1/2 years with the additional 20+ being more than 1 1/2 years. It is such a wonderful feeling to get ready to go somewhere and have a variety of clothes to choose from and not to worry about if something will fit. It is freeing to me not to have to be thinking of food obsessively like I did in the past. Food used to be the highlight of my life. I am not going to lie and say I never think about food but it is definitely not the highlight of my life. I used to live to eat "good tasting" foods. Now I know what kinds of food I am going to eat and don't worry about what to "try".

I don't know if what I wrote above makes sense but I was just thinking about it last night. I can now stop myself when I know I have eaten enough for the day and I am satisfied. I used to eat all of something because it was there and it didn't matter if I was "full". I would just eat it anyway. I definitely was a binger. I sometimes still binge but it is funny that if I do that I binge on "legal" food. It is getting less and less frequent so I feel good about that.

Yes, Pauline, do have someone take photos as we would love to see them.

Have a good day everyone and let us know how you are doing.

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #1514
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
yuck was going to be four weeks in the black but put on two pounds almost as much as I lost the previous 3.
Our tops group meets in this church and the pastor of the church lost 90 pounds and she spoke at the meeting. She is so cute and lost her weight at fisrt with jennie craig for 3 months. She quit them but continued on her own watching portion sizes, calories and fat. She also bought an excercise bike she uses every nite. .. a mid price one. Does anyone use an excercise bike that they can recommend to me? Thanks
Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 AM   #1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
..... I have now kept off the first 100 lbs. for over 2 1/2 years with the additional 20+ being more than 1 1/2 years ...

yep yep! That's the club I want to be in!! It is funny .. I have a similar thing, with the 90 pounds off for 6 years but the following 18 pounds, which I finally got off 4 years ago keep wanting to come back and I keep having to yo-yo diet those off again ...

It feels like this is the "second stage" of maintenance, accepting that the yo-yo'ing on those "few" pounds is unacceptable too and needs to be dealt with ... hard to see when you have been able to keep off the bulk of the weight, kwim?

Quote:
.... It is such a wonderful feeling to get ready to go somewhere and have a variety of clothes to choose from and not to worry about if something will fit. It is freeing to me not to have to be thinking of food obsessively like I did in the past. Food used to be the highlight of my life. I am not going to lie and say I never think about food but it is definitely not the highlight of my life. I used to live to eat "good tasting" foods. Now I know what kinds of food I am going to eat and don't worry about what to "try".

I don't know if what I wrote above makes sense but I was just thinking about it last night. I can now stop myself when I know I have eaten enough for the day and I am satisfied. I used to eat all of something because it was there and it didn't matter if I was "full". I would just eat it anyway. I definitely was a binger. I sometimes still binge but it is funny that if I do that I binge on "legal" food. It is getting less and less frequent so I feel good about that ...
ITA!!!! it is like being released from food slavery .. to be able to go to a party and someone's house and not start worrying about what you are going to eat, whether there will be enough food to satisfy you, or you'll have to sneak eat a little so people do not see how much you eat, etc ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
yuck was going to be four weeks in the black but put on two pounds almost as much as I lost the previous 3.
Our tops group meets in this church and the pastor of the church lost 90 pounds and she spoke at the meeting. She is so cute and lost her weight at fisrt with jennie craig for 3 months. She quit them but continued on her own watching portion sizes, calories and fat. She also bought an exercise bike she uses every nite. .. a mid price one. Does anyone use an exercise bike that they can recommend to me? Thanks
Sorry to hear you broke your streak Soon .. but it is likely just water weight!!!! I only ever used an exercise bike at the gym (and not too often) so I can't help with advice on that. Sounds like your pastor's wife is going to be a great motivation for the chapter!!!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #1516

Today was "The Wizard of TOPS' .. I got to be Dorothy .. and to my eternal mortification I saw someone videotaping it I believe there are some pictures too, lol! Knowing this bunch they are not digital, lol! If I do manage to get a hold of one, I'll post it ..

I was sick as a dog with allergies and went anyway - couldn't let down the co-leader .. and apparently I did the right thing .. I won the big marble draw and won $91 which was a good thing .. I feel I am struggling a bit with binge urges and it is really a big fight not give in. I just had to make myself busy work so as not to go binge .. and that worked which was awesome!

I don't know how, but my weight is not up too much .. I did have a binge on Saturday afternoon .. ugh .. anyhow 4 months KOPS and here, apparently is where in the past I would give in and gain 10+ pounds before I was able to catch myself. The TOPS weigh-in is a big motivator I have to say. I guess I'll just keep fighting ..
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #1517
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Today was "The Wizard of TOPS' .. I got to be Dorothy .. and to my eternal mortification I saw someone videotaping it I believe there are some pictures too, lol! Knowing this bunch they are not digital, lol! If I do manage to get a hold of one, I'll post it ..
We would love photos.
Quote:
I was sick as a dog with allergies and went anyway - couldn't let down the co-leader .. and apparently I did the right thing .. I won the big marble draw and won $91 which was a good thing .. I feel I am struggling a bit with binge urges and it is really a big fight not give in. I just had to make myself busy work so as not to go binge .. and that worked which was awesome!

I don't know how, but my weight is not up too much .. I did have a binge on Saturday afternoon .. ugh .. anyhow 4 months KOPS and here, apparently is where in the past I would give in and gain 10+ pounds before I was able to catch myself. The TOPS weigh-in is a big motivator I have to say. I guess I'll just keep fighting ..
Wow $91! That is awesome! I fight binges off and on but being a KOPS is what helps me. I know that if I didn't attend my TOPS weigh-in I would gain at least some weight. I am with you that it is the big motivator.

We had our annual Fall Rally on Saturday and there is one lady that is really inspiring. She is a 45 year KOPS and turned 100 in May! Talk about dedication!!

Hey some of you other TOPS members, how is it going???

Have a great week everyone.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #1518

ha! I hope to be in TOPS at age 100 .. I bet the doc will write down any goal weight I'd like at that point (if he's still alive too, lol!) ...

.. Hey, Tybee, Susan, Vicki .. how's it going? Miss chatting with you all!!

Pauline
Old 10-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #1519
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I am still here lurking. I haven't gone to TOPS since I passed on the gavel. I am struggling a bit with about a 15 lb wt gain. Trying to get back to no white/starchy carbs.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #1520
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone sorry to go missing I missed 2 meetings {Vacation} and this past Mon I had a 1/2lb loss. We also had our fall rally and my chapter won for the most weight loss per person, I also won the special person award from my group there are only 11 of us. Had a good time there. TaDa I bet you had fun, Vicki It can be a struggle to pick your self up,I wish I could help you. I am having to MAKE myself go to bed With the help of P.M med just so I don't stay up all night eating Trying to reset my sleep clock!!!! Dianne It is a fight sometimes those food just seem to call. I hate that there are more people going through this than just me ,on the other hand i am relived to know that it's not just me.Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #1521
Major LCF Poster!

We must all be going in slow motion, But on a high note I got rid of 1.5 lbs or 6 sticks of butter. To bad I could not sale this stuff my favorite butter is at 4$ a lb Hope you all are having a GREAT weekSee you later

Last edited by tybeeanna; 10-25-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #1522
Major LCF Poster!

tybee, that is great! I love picturing weight loss as sticks of butter. I have lost over 488 sticks of butter. Can you imagine stacking them up how it would look! Visualizing weight loss helped me a lot on the way to goal. KUTGW!! You are doing great!

Waving hi to all of the TOPS members! Let us know how you are doing.

Next week I travel about 1 1/2 hrs. to speak to a TOPS chapter about my story. They are featuring me in the newspaper ahead of time with before and after photos. They hope to draw in visitors. I hope so. LOL!!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #1523
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Dianne How exciting for you,I cant even imagine talking in front of people,at our meetings the gainers have their names put in a basket and drawn to do the next weeks program that is enough insentive for me to not gain any.lol Thanks for the encouraging words . When I get to goal it will be right at 480 sticks of butter lol so far I have lost 200 sticks.. just writing this I have to go to gym...Starting NOW!!!!! THANKS
Old 10-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #1524
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh Dianne How exciting for you,I cant even imagine talking in front of people,at our meetings the gainers have their names put in a basket and drawn to do the next weeks program that is enough insentive for me to not gain any.lol Thanks for the encouraging words . When I get to goal it will be right at 480 sticks of butter lol so far I have lost 200 sticks.. just writing this I have to go to gym...Starting NOW!!!!! THANKS
Reva, that is an awesome start! I know you can do it with TOPS and eating lowcarb. It is a perfect combo for me!

Putting the names of the gainers in a basket would have scared me into losing! LOL! Does anyone ever flake out and not do their program? I should suggest it to my group! LOL!! The gainers would have a heart attack as we have some consistent ones.

I used to be a high school science teacher and I don't mind talking in front of groups. Thank goodness! I wouldn't do it if it was stressful. I really enjoy meeting the other chapter members. I have made some very good friends. The reason I have been speaking to a number of chapters is that I was the state queen runner-up for 2008 and was crowned in 2009. So lots of chapters like to have "big losers" come and encourage their group. It is a volunteer thing but they usually give me gifts and they give me gas money. (I am not doing it for those reasons!) I just like to encourage others that might feel as hopeless as I did when I finally joined. I had finally resigned myself to being a "fat" grandmother for the rest of my life.

Have a great day!!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #1525

Tybee!! Big congratulations on the 1.5 pounds! That is an awesome loss for a week! You are "in the zone" when you can lose like that!!!!

Dianne The newspaper??!!! Wow! I bet your talk will be very inspirational!!! I would love to get you as a speaker for my group!!!

Quote:
..... I just like to encourage others that might feel as hopeless as I did when I finally joined. I had finally resigned myself to being a "fat" grandmother for the rest of my life ...
I think **that** would totally speak to them!!!!

I turtled which is good (I actually had been up a pound, but was not in my jeans last week, lol!). I am on claritin every day and my weight seems to be going down down - but I think it is just dehydration - I guess I won't worry about it until my weight gets close to the bottom of leeway (124 .. I am 128 today).

I just can't see eating more to gain when this is most likely dehydration ... well, I'll worry about it when I get there!

Our meeting was at a supermarket with a nutritionist and it was very good .. It had the lowfat mantra against saturated fats, but the nutritionist did consider the glycemic index / carbs, which was cool!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #1526
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks TaDa, I am trying harder. This week I also started back at the gym. That something just clicked. I hope to be down another lb tomorrow. see you all then..
Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #1527

Great to hear that you are back in gym mode Tybee!!! Congratulations!!!!

I came in for a public service announcement ..

Back Away From the Candy Bowl!!!!!!

Happy Halloween all!!

Pauline
Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #1528
Major LCF Poster!

Did not hit the candy bowl There was no chocolate in there anyway.lol BUT I was up 1/2 lb so I don't know...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #1529
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Did not hit the candy bowl There was no chocolate in there anyway.lol BUT I was up 1/2 lb so I don't know...
Reva, I know when you are in weight-loss mode that you hate to see the scale go up but it is a natural thing to fluctuate some. So you probably did nothing wrong but your body is holding on to fluid or something you ate just a little longer than normal. Don't give up. I think too many people see a little gain and say, what is the use, I might as well eat something off plan as it doesn't matter how well I stay on plan, I gained! That is not true. Just stick to the course and you most likely will have a whoosh in a day or so. So hang in there and do not beat yourself up!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 AM   #1530

Tybee!!! Half a pound could be anything at all!!! I go up 1 or 2 due to water, or even if things at potty time aren't "usual" - and that happens off and on for me - I know that I feel disappointed even when I know that's happening, so more

I have 5 ten year olds bouncing around the house after a sleepover birthday party .. wild bunch! so I am missing my TOPS meeting today .. My weigh in at home and the last few days has been low .. 127 .. I ate a good bit more last night, like 300 calories worth (very low cals) and it was all protein and fat. I would love to stay around this weight but change my body composition (more muscle, less fat).

I need to take measurements again to see how I am doing in that area! do you gals take measurements?

Have a great day all!!!!!!

Last edited by TaDa!; 11-02-2010 at 04:19 AM..
Closed Thread