Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
We have some of those in our group also. It amazes me as some were school teachers and they are very dumb when it comes to nutrition. I had a little quiz the other week about how many calories were in this little bag of walnuts I brought. It was exactly 200 and only one person got it and most were way way off. So we do things like you are talking about. We have had calories in fast food once. They were all amazed, or I should say there were a number that were clueless. Sometimes the talks are nothing new to me but I enjoy the support and the acountability. I don't learn as much as I learn here and other places but I couldn't ask for better support.

I am amazed how many never read labels or find out how many carbs, protein, fats, etc. I hope that I have helped educate some of them. I think I have but you never know for sure.
Thanks, Diane, I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling that way. I'm glad the lectures aren't very long (usually about 20 minutes) cause I'm usually bored to death :-) I also learn more from this forum but I do love the in person support. But, you're right. The ladies in my group are also great. So friendly and supportive.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I lost tonight, 3/4 lb. The leader wanted to send in the stuff so I could be KOPS but the wt recorders wouldn't let her since I wasn't at exactly 170, despite being in the leeway. They said it came from the person that sends the stuff to the chapter, the regional person? I said forget it then. I will just stay TOPS since it seems like this is going to be a real pain in the rearend. It doesn't matter to me if I am KOPS status.

I was elected leader. Over the years that I have been in and out I have held every elected position.

I have had people in the chapter ask me how I lost and I tell them. Most of the people are the same as when I first came in back in the 90s and no one has lost any amount of wt and kept it off. It seems, as a whole, they just lose and regain, yo-yoing.
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
10-28 203.2 down 3.2 lbs Total - 57.2 lbs
11-27 204.8 up 1.6 lbs Total - 55.6 lbs
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #123
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Southern-Dahlin
WOE: NO processed foods.
Diane

It was 2 years ago. It is a small group and most of them were ovah 60 years old.
They were real nice people just stuck in their ways.

I would have to drive for a hour to get to a different group.

I think it's wonderful you have a supporting group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Southern-Dahlin - My group is great. No one cares what plan you do. They are not against lowcarb but also don't promote it. Another gal does a type of lowcarb. No one really uses the exchange diet in our group that I know about. Was it awhile back that your group was against Atkins? I remember reading on the TOPS website 2 years ago about one of the international winners losing all of her weight by doing a lowcarb plan. I guess it really depends on the people in your group. We now have about 25 members. When I joined we had about 12.

I guess the main reason they aren't going to say anything to me is that I have lost 115 lbs. and am very healthy. The other gal has lost 108 and is also healthy. So there is not too much they can say! LOL! There are a few members who have been struggling for years and I think we may actually be winning a few over to our way of thinking.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
I lost tonight, 3/4 lb. The leader wanted to send in the stuff so I could be KOPS but the wt recorders wouldn't let her since I wasn't at exactly 170, despite being in the leeway. They said it came from the person that sends the stuff to the chapter, the regional person? I said forget it then. I will just stay TOPS since it seems like this is going to be a real pain in the rearend. It doesn't matter to me if I am KOPS status.

I was elected leader. Over the years that I have been in and out I have held every elected position.

I have had people in the chapter ask me how I lost and I tell them. Most of the people are the same as when I first came in back in the 90s and no one has lost any amount of wt and kept it off. It seems, as a whole, they just lose and regain, yo-yoing.
I've only been in my group 4 weeks and the leader of our group (who, just guessing, is probally 80 to 100 pounds overweight) has gained every week I've been there. She doesn't seem to care, though :-) Don't know how long she's been there.

One of our members is at goal but she refuses to become a KOPS. Not sure why. They were talking about it on my first day there. Never did say why she didn't want it.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Southern-Dahlin - Sorry your group was so stuck in their ways. It is nice having a weekly support group. Too bad you aren't around here as you would love my group.

Vicki - It is really not a hassle once you become a KOPS. I think it is actually easier because of the leeway. My guess is the reason the weight recorder wouldn't send in your goal slip for KOPS was because you were above 170. If you are at or below then they turn it in. Then as a KOPS you have the luxury of being 3 lbs. above goal and 7 lbs. below. So if your goal was 170 then you could be anywhere from 163-173. I have never been out of leeway. Then later if you want to lower your goal to 165 for example, you just have to be in the leeway of 168 or below.

Tomswife - I think that is too bad about your leader and her gains. We have a lady in our group that joined in 1981. She has never lost more than a few lbs. and or gained a few. I think she weighs about the same as when she joined. One year her goal for the year was to lose one pound. She did not reach her goal. She was actually up a few. I guess she likes it for the socializing. But most of our members are there to lose weight and are trying.

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Howdy fellow TOPS buddies. How did this week go?

I have my meeting tonight. Last meeting was pretty exciting. We found out there were some state winners in our chapter which will be honored at SRD in Eugene. I can't say more until then but stay tuned!

Have a great day!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Diane,
That is so cool :-) I'll be looking out for more news. I didn't make it to this weeks meeting. It was snowing for 2 days so I didn't feel safe driving the 20 miles in to town. Too bad cause I know I had lost weight :-)
I went to the doctors this morning to get my "ideal weight". I was afraid she was going to go by a chart and that's just what she did. I don't want to get down that low (That's the weight I was in high school) so I'll probaly never become a Kops :-) That's ok. Maybe I'll find another doctor someday that'll actually listen to me.
Have a good one :-)
Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

That's the pits that you couldn't make it to the meeting when you know you lost! I don't blame you though for not driving in the snow.

I am surprised that your dr. just used a chart. Many doctors that I have talked to said what weight would you feel good at and we will go from there. If you get a chance get another opinion on a goal weight. There is no reason to have a goal that is so low that it is not possible. Several in our group have had their goals raised before reaching them as they realize they are too low.

I wish I could tell you about the state awards but we were sworn to secrecy by the head people. They want it to be a surprise at SRD. I will let you know as soon as SRD is over.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, that's ok. I can wait until they're over :-) Too bad I can't go. Maybe next year.
If I happen to get to another doctor sometime I'll talk to them about my goal.
This woman struck me as a strictly by the book nurse. She even ran off some common low fat "tricks" that you could tell she had momerized and tell them to everyone. I even told her (after she asked) that I was doing low carb but she didn't even act like she heard me. I just sat there and smiled as she was telling me her low fat tricks:-)
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DebWI
NWLoser, you are an inspiration!

I joined TOPS a year ago and then never went back. I'm generally not at all a group person, and the idea of having to stand up and speak scared me away. But maybe I should bite the bullet and go back. I haven't lost an ounce since then.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebWI View Post
NWLoser, you are an inspiration!

I joined TOPS a year ago and then never went back. I'm generally not at all a group person, and the idea of having to stand up and speak scared me away. But maybe I should bite the bullet and go back. I haven't lost an ounce since then.
Hi Deb, There's something about knowing you are going to tell a whole group of women whether you gained or lost, that keeps you on track all week :-)
About 80% of my group gain during the week so you don't feel totally alone if you haven't lost. LOL
Old 03-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DebWI
I don't even mind that part, but this group requires that each member take a turn presenting a topic and running the discussion. Most definitely NOT my thing.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebWI View Post
I don't even mind that part, but this group requires that each member take a turn presenting a topic and running the discussion. Most definitely NOT my thing.
Oh wow. That would be hard. I think I'd be thrown out if I did a presentation on low carb :-) I think, in our meeting, there's 3 or 4 that kind of take turns cause no one else wants to do it.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #134
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I am thinking that's how TOPS encourages members to get involved. Maybe it takes some of the stress off of the leader?

I get super-stressed presenting in front of a TOPS group, but I have a lot of low-stress/low-threat ideas if you would like them!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Cleo. Nice to see you!

Thanks Deb for the kudos. You might want to give TOPS another try. I love having the accountability and that is what will keep me at goal. Take Cleo up on giving you some ideas. There are a lot of very simple ones. I can even give you some ideas if you need them.

I hinted the other day that I will have big news after our state SRD. I will give one more tiny hint. I will be getting several awards.

One of our members presented a program on walking last week. She has challenged each of us to walk more and the one who has walked the most steps by our next meeting is getting a prize. She also found very inexpensive pedometers and gave each one of us one if we didn't have one. I will not win but I have been walking more.

Hope everyone has a great week. I just got back from a weekend at the beach so I am raring to go!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #136
something there

Hey there! I haven't been to TOPS in months since I started working full-time, but I totally understand feeling stressed about feeling the need to present a program.

Easy and fun topic ideas would include puzzles, quizzes or a simple Jeopardy game, where you split everyone into two teams and then give points for right answers (and the questions can come from the book or the internet--it doesn't matter).

People are so caught up in competing or answering questions they'll never notice the focus wasn't on you the whole time. They'll just remember how much fun they had.

You can find easy quizzes online to print out and take to the meeting. One I did that really opened peoples' eyes was a discussion regarding stress. People never realized how stressed out they were and how is was affecting their health.

Don't feel you have to adhere to the program guide. Make it yours!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 AM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Sometimes I bring in articles I have read in reputable magazines, websites, or newspapers. I have used the programs that the leader gets on occasion too. Some of the older members who have been there for years are still into counting calories. So, whenever I discuss things such as HFCS or sugar, they seem to think as long as it is in their calorie alotment, it is ok.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #138
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sinnerpeace
Stats: 275/275/120
WOE: paleo/neanderthin/eating live a cave man...lol
Start Date: really started on march 16th
wow I always thought TOPS is basically calorie counter/low carb?

[B(]that is a calorie counting/low fat group)this brings to mind why there are not alot of lc support groups in the world out there?! I would love to attend a TOPS meeting because the interactive live support would be awsome...do most chapters support a Low carb wol?[/B]

Last edited by sinnerpeace; 03-16-2009 at 11:11 PM..
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

The support is awesome. There books are all about lowfat/calories. But you are welcome to do whatever plan you want. There is no right way to lose weight in TOPS. It is great to have the weekly support/accountability. It is also inexpensive. It is $26 a year for national dues which includes a magazine. Then each chapter has their own amount for monthly dues. My chapter charges $4 a month for dues. You can go to TOPS.org and put in your zip code to find a chapter near you.

Good luck! Weight loss is definitely a learning journey.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #140
something there

Adding to what NWLoser says, TOPS takes everyone, from folks who have had weight loss surgery to folks who take medications for weight loss. They're used to people who can't follow 'the plan' for various reasons. I tell my group I can;t have sugars, and they look at me a bit funny, but any diabetic would have to abstain as well, sooooooo.....

I will say when there's a food related event, I either don't show, or I bring the veggie platter.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

Dianne,$4 a month for dues seems reasonable. Our chapter only charges $1 a month and that has been that way for years. They upped it to $2 one time but got many complaints!!! It is way cheaper than WW or any other place that is for sure.

sinnerpeace, like Dianne said, you can follow whatever plan of eating you choose to lose at TOPS. I like it for the accountability.

I have TOPS tonight and I know I gained. See what happens when I miss a week??? I had my knee scoped last Monday so I skipped the Tues meeting. I did weigh myself on my scale this morning and know I have gained. I usually don't weigh at home and only do at TOPS once a week because I can go crazy with the numbers on my home scale.

Just curious, how many of you don't eat, or eat very little on TOPS weigh in day???? I just drink protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and little fluids. Isn't that stupid????? Crazy diet mentality.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #142
Blabbermouth!!!

Cleo, I do the same thing whenever there is a food related event. (which I think they are only allowed two per year which our chapter does at Xmas and summer picnic). I end up taking a couple of dishes that I know I can eat so at least I have something to fall back on.

It is amazing at the items brought to these food events that aren't really low cal or low anything LOL.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I have my Tops meeting this morning. According to my scale I should lose. I didn't go last week because of the nasty weather.
Our group charges 2.00 a month plus 35 cents a meeting (which someone wins at the end of the month).
vl, I thought about not eating but then I'd have to do that every week. I just try to eat the same thing every week before the meeting. My meeting is 9:00 in the morning so I don't have to worry about it all day :-)
Cleo, I know diabetics that eat more sugar then I do. My dad is diabetic and he doesn't see anything wrong with eating sugar. He's in a low fat mindset. It's crazy.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Our group charged $3 for dues but we changed it a few months ago. I am surprised that Vicki & Tomswife has such low monthly dues. We need to have it higher as we are always buying charms, etc. We earn a charm for each 10 lbs. lost. We also spend money on contests, etc. We also put a dime in each meeting and the best loser of the day wins that money.

We are allowed 2 eating events a year as Vicki stated and we also have them the same. We have a summer picnic and a Christmas party. I always bring something that I can eat. Actually everyone usually brings something pretty acceptable such as low calorie foods. So there is always stuff I can eat like veggies, salad, cheese and meats.

Vicki, I am a little like you about TOPS day. I don't eat as much that day because of the evening weigh-in. I know that is kind of dumb! I like what you do Tomswife. You started out eating before you went and just eat similarly each week. I do eat but a lighter amount.

Tomswife and Vicki, good luck at your meetings today.

Last edited by NWLoser; 03-17-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Now that you guys mentioned it, I do tend to eat a lighter dinner the night before. Not sure if it makes a difference though :-) I do remember on my first official weigh in, that I ate an especially big breakfast. I figured I might as well hit the ground running. LOL.

Well, I lost 1/2 pound. My scale showed a 2 pound loss. Oh well :-)
We put 35 cents in every week then we just draw from tickets at the end of the month.
Diane, Someone let me read their Tops magazine today (since I still haven't recieved mine yet) and I believe I saw your name in there :-) Pretty cool.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I forgot to mention, todays talk was on 12 bad for you ingredients.
I was wondering if they were even going to get to sugar :-) It was number 12 (hfcs wasn't on the list at all). Anyway, this one gal, that chews gum all the time, looked at the ingredients of her gum. It had allot of the ingredients on the list. Including sugar and corn syrup. They were quite surprised. But it wasn't even sugar free gum! DUH! :-)
Just thought I'd share.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats on the weigh loss today. I hate it when my scale doesn't agree with the one at the meetings. Usually though, mine is higher than their's.

Tomswife, I don't think I have been in an issue of TOPS magazine, but I am not sure. Which issue is it?

I can't believe someone would be chewing regular gum and going to TOPS. Then to be surprised at the ingredients!

I don't have my meeting until Thursday night.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Dianne, It's the march issue. Talking about getting KOPS awards. It said Diane from Clackamas. I don't know why. Just assumed it was you :-)

Their scale is usually 7 pounds heavier then my home scale. I realize part of it is that on the home scale I weigh naked before breakfast so I account for that but I can usually tell from weighing almost every day what I'm going to lose at TOPS. Didn't work this time though :-Have a good night!

Susan
P.S.
Just realized that this person was a KOPS for 20 years. Guess it's not you. LOL

Last edited by tomswife; 03-17-2009 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: forgot to add
Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Susan. (Nice to be able to put a name to you. )

No, not me. But I can't wait to tell you my news after SRD.

My scale at home is actually about 1 lb. higher than the TOPS one. I have a Tanita digital scale that I love. I weigh in the morning naked before I eat. I also weigh myself right before I go to the meeting. That is how I know it is about 1 lb. higher than the one at TOPS.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello all, I can't believe it, I was down a pound! Wahoo, I will take it. I too have some news to report after SRD.
Closed Thread