Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Congratulations on the 4 pound loss! That is awesome!!!! It is the neatest feeling being the best loser of the week, month, etc. I have a bracelet loaded with charms that I have earned from TOPS. My first year in TOPS I was the best loser I think 10 of the 12 months. It did spur others to lose though.

I would wait until you get to know the group a lot better before you gave a lowcarb talk. I waited until my weight loss told the story. I really did not tell anyone what I was doing until I had lost about 50 lbs. If they did ask me, I just said that I didn't eat sugar, flour, starch or processed foods. That seemed to satisfy them. I think you have to see how the group is before you actually go into telling them what you do. When I did tell them I did lowcarb eating, I also presented names of different plans such as South Beach, Atkins, etc. If you just say Atkins for example, they most likely have preconceived ideas of what it is which are most likely wrong!

If you go to WeLoveTops.com, it has ideas for programs and games you could present. I would see if there is one you like and then ask if anyone has done it. If not, then it would make it a lot less boring. We do a lot of games and presentations so we are not bored.

I hope your group continues to get better and better. There is nothing like live support vs online. I love online but it is equally nice to be able to get a hug or way to go!

Also wanted to add that we had a visitor to our meeting last week and she was so excited about my loss that I am going to be a speaker at her group this Friday. It is in a neighboring town and I will present my story along with photos. I think I will also take my "fat clothes" as they are a great visual. I can get both legs into one leg of my old jeans!

HTH

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html

Last edited by NWLoser; 02-24-2009 at 06:17 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Thanks, Dianne, for your suggestions. I think you're right about waiting a while.
You're so right about the live support. When they go around the room and you have to say whether you lost or gained.....makes you want to lose for the week right there :-) And you can't lie about it because it's right there in front of them.

That is so great that you're called on to give a speech. I love seeing fat clothes. It can tell the whole story right there.
Thanks for the website. I'll go check it out.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the input. I will definitely take my "fat clothes" with me on Friday.

I know that for me what kept me going was being able to weigh each week and then say I lost such and such. It is so rewarding!

You are going to do great with lowcarb and TOPS together.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Dianne, I was just thinking, I wish I lived closer to you. I would love to attend one of your talks. I'll bet they're awesome.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks. :blush::blush: I don't know if they are awesome but I hope they are helpful.

If you go to State Recognition Days (SRD) in Eugene in April, I will be there.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

They actually mentioned that yesterday. She asked if anyone was interested in going and nobody said anything so she didn't even read the rest of it so I have no idea how it works :-) When exactly is it. Do they pay your way? Or just the motel? I might be interested in going but not if I'm the only one in my group that goes :-)
Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Hi. SRD is the TOPS state recognition days. Kind of like a convention with talks, skits, honoring KOPS, the queens, division winners, etc.

Our chapter pays the registration which is $20 each. We then raise funds to help pay the motel. I am not sure how many of us are going yet. So depending on how many go, is how much we will each get towards the hotel. But since it isn't very far away we will go Friday morning and only stay Friday night. It is at the Eugene Hilton. Last year it was in Pendleton so we left here on Thursday and stayed until Saturday.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Hi there, I have been a member of TOPS on and off for many, many years, starting in HS back in the 70's. This time, I rejoined March of last year. But, I finally kicked my low carb plan into gear in May. I am trying to determine if 170 is going to be my goal. I was low to 167 about a month ago and now am 173. I know I have the leeway and am waiting for the wt recorders to turn in my goal slip. I would like to be closer to 165 if possible.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Vicki, How do you like tops? I'm having trouble with it fitting into my low carb lifestyle. I'm mainly going for the accountability and to chat with other ladies. By the way, everyone in my group is older then me. They did a presentation yesterday about how much bigger the servings were today then in 1957. She asked how many was not around in 1957. I was the only one that raised my hand :-) Anyway, nice to meet you, Vicki.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Hi. SRD is the TOPS state recognition days. Kind of like a convention with talks, skits, honoring KOPS, the queens, division winners, etc.

Our chapter pays the registration which is $20 each. We then raise funds to help pay the motel. I am not sure how many of us are going yet. So depending on how many go, is how much we will each get towards the hotel. But since it isn't very far away we will go Friday morning and only stay Friday night. It is at the Eugene Hilton. Last year it was in Pendleton so we left here on Thursday and stayed until Saturday.
Thanks Dianne. Pendleton would have been a good location for me :-)
Is it just Friday and Saturday? What are the dates? If I'm the only one going I'll probally have to pay my own way. Probaly won't go this year.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

It is going to be on Friday and Saturday - April 17th and 18th. Next year it will be in Seaside. It usually is in May but because of some mix-ups it is in April.

Do you know anyone younger who you could ask to join you? Our group has people from 14 - 84 years old. One lady has been in TOPS 42 years. She was a KOPS for 40 years and lost it last May because she is so underweight! We clap when she gains!

Tomswife, I think it will get easier to fit your lowcarb lifestyle with TOPS after you have been there awhile. When people see you melting away, they are going to want to know your secret.

Vicki if you choose 170 as your goal, then you can be anywhere from 163-173. That sounds like a good range for you. I like to maintain under goal a few pounds. Last week I weighed in at 117.25 and that is about where I would like to stay. My actual goal is 122. I was going to lower it to 120 but I haven't made up my mind yet. I started out with an original goal of 135, then after reaching it and staying for a few months, I lowered it to 128. Then after maintaining a few months, I lowered it to 122. You can always lower your goal or raise it if you are in your leeway.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #102
Blabbermouth!!!

tomswife, I wasn't around in 1957 either, but I was in 59! Regardless, our group ranges from around 40 on up I would say. We average about 10 people a week. TOPS doesn't endorse any type of eating so I was surprised by your comment about TOPS not fitting in with your LC lifestyle. I think some of the stuff I see in the magazine is a bit hokey though. The weird costumes and stuff.

I use TOPS for accountability too. It is the cheapest support group around I think. A far cry from what weight watchers is.

Dianne, Yeah, I think I will wait a few more weeks before deciding on 170 as my goal. I know I can always lower it and I had mentioned that to the leader and wt. recorders. But, I felt that they weren't too eager in having me change my goal too often since there is a bunch of paperwork involved. Anyways, I will see what happens.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
tomswife, I wasn't around in 1957 either, but I was in 59! Regardless, our group ranges from around 40 on up I would say. We average about 10 people a week. TOPS doesn't endorse any type of eating so I was surprised by your comment about TOPS not fitting in with your LC lifestyle. I think some of the stuff I see in the magazine is a bit hokey though. The weird costumes and stuff.

I use TOPS for accountability too. It is the cheapest support group around I think. A far cry from what weight watchers is.

Dianne, Yeah, I think I will wait a few more weeks before deciding on 170 as my goal. I know I can always lower it and I had mentioned that to the leader and wt. recorders. But, I felt that they weren't too eager in having me change my goal too often since there is a bunch of paperwork involved. Anyways, I will see what happens.
Hi Vicki,
Yes, I've heard that Tops doesn't endorse a certain way of eating but everything in their magazine is about low fat and all the talks that are given are about low fat low calorie. Nothing I can relate to or believe in. When I first signed up they gave me a list of foods and the amounts that were "allowable" foods. Most on the list I don't eat anymore :-)
Anyway, maybe it depends on the chapter. I'm learning to tune out most of it :-)
Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, I wouldn't worry if the weight recorders want to change your goal later or not. It is totally up to you. So if you decide on 170 and 6 months down the road you want 165, they really have no reason to complain. Good luck on deciding on goal weight!

Maintaining is a whole other ballgame! On April 24th it will be my one year anniversary of reaching 100 lbs. lost. I am currently down more than 115 and that is where I think I want to maintain.

This morning I gave my talk to a neighboring TOPS chapter. It was such an ego booster. :blush: They were impressed and asked lots of questions. I presented my lowcarb way of eating. I think I inspired a few people. I am saying that because there were so many questions. One lady asked me what I ordered when I ate at restaurants. They were amazed that I could eat anywhere and find foods that would fit my plan.

Tomswife - hope you have a loss next week too. Eventually they will want to know your secret! My chapter does not push any eating plan. They just want people to eat sensibly. The stuff from TOPS national does usually talk about lowfat but I just ignore it. I did see on the website 2 years ago that one of the national big losers used a lowcarb plan.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

Dianne, Thanks for the advice. I think maintaining where I am currently would be smart. Instead of "busting" my butt on trying to reach maybe an unattainable goal and driving myself nuts. I like the way I am eating now, except I tend to overdo it on nuts and cheese, hence I graze too much. I need to cut that action out because I know where that can take me. .. . back up.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, I think that is the answer then. Call it goal and if you find later you want to weigh less, then lower your goal. I am glad I did it that way. The nice thing about TOPS goal is that you can go 7 under but you still have the leeway if you gain a pound once in awhile. I haven't found the point that I can stay the same weight day after day. Maybe that will never happen, I don't know. I range up 1 down 1 and so on.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Did you guys have to go to the doctor to get your goal weight. They made me go and have the doctor write on her prescription pad what my goal weight should be. I thought it was kind of stupid( I don't go to the doctor unless I absulotely have to) and so did my doctor. She just wrote down what I told her. One woman in our group has changed her goal weight a few times and she has to see a doctor every time she does.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

That is actually a TOPS rule from headquarters. But you can have any medical person such as a nurse practitioner, physician's assistant, nurse, etc. can write the goal weight for you as long as it is on a prescription pad. I think it is so people do not pick unreasonable goals, etc. It does not need to be done right away. It just has to be handed in before reaching goal. They say don't make a special appointment just do it next time you see your doctor.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That is actually a TOPS rule from headquarters. But you can have any medical person such as a nurse practitioner, physician's assistant, nurse, etc. can write the goal weight for you as long as it is on a prescription pad. I think it is so people do not pick unreasonable goals, etc. It does not need to be done right away. It just has to be handed in before reaching goal. They say don't make a special appointment just do it next time you see your doctor.
Oh, they didn't tell me there wasn't any hurry LOL. Oh well, got it over with :-) We just have one small clinic in our little town so there's only one person there, usually a nurse practitioner.
Their scale is always about 10 pounds heavier then mine so I had my goal be 10 pounds more then my actual goal.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:50 AM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

Whoa, a nurse can write the goal???? Cool, I am a RN can I write it myself LOL!!!! TOPS is tomorrow night and I believe we have election of officers. I have been the secretary for a few months since the previous one got a different job. Over the years of in and out of TOPS I have been every position except wt recorder. My group has had the same leader, co-leader, and treasurer for several years now.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

I believe we're have elections tomorrow also. But I can't vote. I think they said you had to be there at least a month (or maybe 2, can't remember) before you can vote. Last week they were trying to get people to run and no one wanted to. The leader wanted out, I think.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

The first meeting in March is the designated day for all chapters to elect officers. I have been the treasurer for 2 years and I am pretty sure I will be it again. That is fine with me as I have it all set now.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 AM   #113
Blabbermouth!!!

Dianne, holding a position helps with accountability doesn't it?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, I totally agree. If you are an officer you don't want to miss a meeting and then of course you are there to weigh.

Good luck Vicki & Tomswife today at weigh-in.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, they talked about todayt elections. How it's harder to miss a meeting if you're an officer. I'm not sure if I'd want to be one though. Looks like allot of work :-) Do you get any added benefits?
I lost 1 1/2 pounds today. I had one lady ask me what I was doing. I told he a bit about it but you could tell by the look on her face that she thought I was talking a foreign language :-) So I didn't say anymore, for now :-)
Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations! 1 1/2 lbs. lost is good! I think there are still a few in my group that don't have a clue what I mean when I say I am on a lowcarb woe. We have some members who have no idea of calories, portions, etc. They are not losing either.

In our chapter the only benefit is to the leader, we pay her yearly dues to headquarters.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Diane, what do folks talk about in your meeting. It seem like everyone that does talks in my group the talks are so elementary. Today they were talking about sodium in different foods. The were passing around canned foods. When it came to chili people seemed so amazed that chili has so much salt in it. I was thinking, how do you not know that!? LOL. And last week it was about calories in fast food. I don't know, it just seems like if you've been dieting for a while (like everyone in my group has, though some aren't doing so great :-)) that you would know this stuff already. So I was just wondering what your group was like.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

We have some of those in our group also. It amazes me as some were school teachers and they are very dumb when it comes to nutrition. I had a little quiz the other week about how many calories were in this little bag of walnuts I brought. It was exactly 200 and only one person got it and most were way way off. So we do things like you are talking about. We have had calories in fast food once. They were all amazed, or I should say there were a number that were clueless. Sometimes the talks are nothing new to me but I enjoy the support and the acountability. I don't learn as much as I learn here and other places but I couldn't ask for better support.

I am amazed how many never read labels or find out how many carbs, protein, fats, etc. I hope that I have helped educate some of them. I think I have but you never know for sure.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #119
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Southern-Dahlin
WOE: NO processed foods.
Diane

The tops group i was in was so against my lowcarb plan which was Atkins, at the time. They kept giving me the exchange diet and telling me it was a better choice.

Does your group except your low carb plan as healthy?

Quote:
Jeanie - TOPS is a great organization. It stands for Take Off Pounds Sensibly. They do have a diet using the exchange system but they welcome you and let you do any plan you choose. It is $24 for national dues a year which entitles you to their magazine. I think there are 10 issues a year and they are very inspiring and informational. Then each chapter sets their own monthly dues. Ours are $3 a month but I think some chapters might be $5 or so. We also pay 10˘ a week and the best loser gets the dimes. It is very inexpensive and very supportive. I love love my group. I will go forever as it makes me accountable to weigh each week. You go into a room and the weight recorder is the only one who knows your weight. I think the only requirement at TOPS is that you should have 10 lbs. to lose when joining. You become a KOPS (Keep Off Pounds Sensibly) when you reach goal. You have many ways to earn charms and win contests in TOPS. Each chapter makes up their own rules for those things. We earn a charm for each 10 lbs. we lose. You can find out where there is a chapter near you by clicking on this Chapters Near You

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or pm me.

Good luck!

Last edited by Southern-Dahlin; 03-03-2009 at 04:45 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Southern-Dahlin - My group is great. No one cares what plan you do. They are not against lowcarb but also don't promote it. Another gal does a type of lowcarb. No one really uses the exchange diet in our group that I know about. Was it awhile back that your group was against Atkins? I remember reading on the TOPS website 2 years ago about one of the international winners losing all of her weight by doing a lowcarb plan. I guess it really depends on the people in your group. We now have about 25 members. When I joined we had about 12.

I guess the main reason they aren't going to say anything to me is that I have lost 115 lbs. and am very healthy. The other gal has lost 108 and is also healthy. So there is not too much they can say! LOL! There are a few members who have been struggling for years and I think we may actually be winning a few over to our way of thinking.

Last edited by NWLoser; 03-03-2009 at 05:23 PM..
Closed Thread