Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #331
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Ali, I am so sorry to hear about your 2 disappointing visits. My group is not like those at all. Do try the other 2 groups. If you have a few friends who are interested in weight loss, you can start your own chapter. The coordinator would help you get started.

I wonder if the second group was formed by a church group. We meet in a church but there is nothing about church in our meeting. We just meet there as it is very inexpensive rent. I also am a Christian but would not like it at the TOPS meeting.

I need to take off to go speak at a TOPS chapter this morning. I will catch you all later.

Have a great day.

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Dianne, You are one busy lady these days :-)
Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
I've decided to not let the fact that I can't attend the meetings to stop me from at least going to the weigh-ins. Maybe someday I'll get to attend the meetings again. First weigh-in will be Monday. Today is day 1 back on plan.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #334
Major LCF Poster!

I am back from my visit to another chapter. It went very well. I knew over 1/2 of the members as it is another chapter in my home town. They really enjoyed it, anyway they told me they did. I share some goofy stuff about myself and one person said that made it more real. I tell a story about peanut butter. I love it but haven't had any now for about 6 months or more. I used to binge on it and finally one day out of desperation I went to throw it in the garbage. I knew myself well enough to know that I would dig it back out and eat the whole jar. It wouldn't be harmed with the lid on it while in the garbage. So I quickly without thinking too much put soap and water in the jar. It was over half full but at least I didn't eat it then.

This chapter gave me $5, a basket of fruit & a head of cabbage and a plant.

The chapters have all been very friendly and generous. I hope I inspire even one person each time to lose weight and then I will feel like I have made a difference.

I enjoy sharing my story and visiting the other chapters to see what they do in their meetings. So far they have all been very focused on losing weight.

I hope Ali you find a good chapter as the support is so great.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #335
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I was up this week, but still in leeway. Gosh, I felt like I lost, oh well. I did the program about frozen treats that I got off of the website. Part 2 next week. Hope everyone has a good weigh in this week.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys,
Well, I was the biggest loser this week. Lost 3 pounds :-)
Vicki, I'm sorry you were up but at least you're still in leeway. Can't wait till I get to goal :-)
Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #337
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats Susan! You are just melting in front of your fellow TOPS members! Are your stats up to date?

Vicki, the great thing about being a KOPS is that you can go up and down a little and not be a "gainer". You will get it off by next week if you work just a little.

Tomorrow I am giving a program at my TOPS chapter and starting a new contest. I need to get all the stuff ready today.

Have a good day!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Dianne, I usually tend tp update my stats about every 10 pounds. Just to make sure the loss sticks first. And I always put up what I weigh here at home. TOPS is about 3 or 4 pounds higher. So I updated this morning to my current weight.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! Susan a new low. You are doing awesome.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Yes I was so excited to be below 200 (since I was stalled there for so long) and now before I knew it I'm below 190 :-)
Thanks for your support :-)
Old 07-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #341
Blabbermouth!!!

Susan, congrats.

I would love to dip into the 150's, just to say I was there.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

I remember how excited I was once I got in onederland. I did a happy dance all over the place at TOPS. I felt so much thinner when I got in the 180s. I felt light on my feet.

You are doing amazing. I forgot when you joined TOPS? Has it been a year yet?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #343
Major LCF Poster!

I have a feeling that every 10 pounds I'll be doing a happy dance :-)
I just joined TOPS in Febuary.
I lost 50 pounds last summer. Gained back about 20 pounds during the holidays. Then joined TOPS and started losing again. Hopefully this will be the last time of rollercoasting.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife View Post
I have a feeling that every 10 pounds I'll be doing a happy dance :-)
I just joined TOPS in Febuary.
I lost 50 pounds last summer. Gained back about 20 pounds during the holidays. Then joined TOPS and started losing again. Hopefully this will be the last time of rollercoasting.
I hear you Susan about the rollercoasting. I did the yoyo all my married life. The 2 biggest changes this time for me are: attending TOPS to be accountable and not treating this as a diet. This is a way of eating for me and I will continue to eat this way for the rest of my life. I feel so much better. I know Susan you will continue to do great as you also have these same tools. So KUTGW!!

Last night I did the program and started a new contest. I think it went very well. We needed to motivate the group as we have a bunch that are just losing/gaining back and forth. We started a contest where we have 2 teams and it is a baseball world series game that will go for 9 weeks. You earn points (runs for your team) by losing, keeping a food chart, attending and reaching out to the other team members to encourage them. (You have to reach out to the other team, not your own). There are different points for how much you lose, turtle, etc. We have played a baseball game before and we actually have little bases and run or walk around them. The members really get into it and it has motivated them in the past. So I hope it does this time.

Well I stayed the same at TOPS and I am happy with that. I want to lose 1 or so lbs. but I will be content where I am. It is hard adjusting to the fact that you don't really need to lose and that you are at a healthy weight. I have never stayed at a healthy weight for this long before. It is new territory for me.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Dianne,
Thank you so much for the kind words. I do think TOPS is going to make a difference this time. Even though I don't really learn much and don't agree with the lowfat talk (I'm getting use to it though :-)) the ladies are truly amazing and so supportive.
Your contest sounds like fun. I wish our chapter would do something like that to get some members motivated again.
I'm not sure what I'm doing this week but I've been up and down all week. When I weighed this morning, I'm the same weight I weighed last Tuesday morning before my meeting.
When I start doing that I have to start entering my foods into ****** again and see what's going on. It may actually be too much fruit. The blueberries and strawberries are so good right now so I have been eating more of those then normal. Anyway, we'll see.
I hope everyone had a good weekend. I'll check in tomorrow when I get back from my meeting.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, you will have to keep track of what you eat to discover the culprit. I love raspberries, cherries and blueberries. But they can wreck havoc with my weight if I don't do portion control. I used to eat cherries by the bowlful and then I found out they are almost 1 carb apiece! Yikes! No wonder my weight was kind of wonky. I can do that with blueberries also but they are not nearly so high in carbs. I have been avoiding cherries this summer as I realized that last summer when looking back at my food diary/journal that my weight was unstable. I also had huge cravings when eating cherries. I still love them and if I want some, I will eat them but not like they are a free food.

I do learn a few things at my TOPS meetings but that is because we all take turns doing the programs. I just turn it off when it is lowfat junk. I love the support and my group is so much fun. This week we have our annual picnic. We all weigh in and then we go to another member's home and have a potluck. It is nice to sit around and visit.

Good luck on tomorrow's weigh-in.

Vicki!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Dianne,
We scheduled our picnic for the end of August. In the past they always had it on Saturday so their families can come. This year they decided not to include families. I mean, they are welcome but since most of their husbands grumbled too much they decided to just have it after the meeting in a near by park. I would have liked to meet everyones families but I'm still looking forward to it :-)

I totally stayed away from the cherries this year. Not only are they not one of my favorites, I thought they'd be to sweet for me and I knew they were higher in carbs but didn't realize they were that high
I started tracking my food today but I haven't had any fruit yesterday or today so we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Good Day, All,
Well, I was down 1 pound this morning. Not bad but I wish it was more. I'm going to stay away from fruit this week and use ****** and see what that does. Then maybe add blueberries in very slowly in a couple of weeks and see how I do then. Love my blueberries :-) But I think for the first time in my life I love losing weight better!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #349
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi all, tonight is weigh in and I expect to be up, oh well. Hopefully, still in leeway. I am eating more fruit this summer, but try to stick with mostly blueberries and strawberries. Although, I have had my share of cantelope. I am freezing these items too as they are in season. I had some watermelon a few weeks ago that satisfied my craving and also cherries this past week. Now I am ok for a while. I occasionally buy a banana too, maybe once a month or less. I have done peaches and an occasional apple.

I like the idea of the baseball contest. Tonight is part two of the frozen treat program and we end the pickle contest for our picnic next week. The team that has the most pickles (most wt. lost) doesn't have to cook or bring anything to the picnic. However, we usually all bring something anyways. It isn't much of a contest.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, how did you do at TOPS this week?

I lost a quarter of a pound tonight at TOPS to be at my new all time low of 117! I am thrilled. I keep thinking that 115 would be nice. I will see how I do at this new low and if I go lower then I will change my goal weight. My official TOPS goal is 122 so I can only go to 115 before getting out of leeway. I do have another weight slip from the dr. that is for 117. So if I can maintain well at or below 117, then I will change it. That would allow be to go as low as 110.

I hope everyone is having a good week. Tonight we had our annual picnic. Lots of carby food but I did find plenty to eat. Everyone is getting into our new baseball contest. We are off to a great start. More losses this week than usual. That is what I hoped for.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #351
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Vicki, how did you do at TOPS this week?

I lost a quarter of a pound tonight at TOPS to be at my new all time low of 117! I am thrilled. I keep thinking that 115 would be nice. I will see how I do at this new low and if I go lower then I will change my goal weight. My official TOPS goal is 122 so I can only go to 115 before getting out of leeway. I do have another weight slip from the dr. that is for 117. So if I can maintain well at or below 117, then I will change it. That would allow be to go as low as 110.

I hope everyone is having a good week. Tonight we had our annual picnic. Lots of carby food but I did find plenty to eat. Everyone is getting into our new baseball contest. We are off to a great start. More losses this week than usual. That is what I hoped for.
Oh shoot, I forgot to post. See stats, I was up a pound and a half I think, still in leeway. You are doing great with losing still. You know, if I could have plastics done and have all of the hanging skin removed (thighs, butt, and arms) I bet I could lose 10 lbs of skin.

Dianne, did you get the baseball contest from the website? If not, can you share what you do. We need another contest.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, Here is the link to the contest: TOPS/New Seasonal Contests It is called World Series. We added a few more rules to earn points. Here they are:

Bonus Points

TEAM SPIRIT:
a) Attendance: one point for each member that stays for entire meeting & additional 5 point bonus for entire team staying
b) Food chart: one point for each member who turns in a completed food chart; additional 5 point bonus for entire team turning in completed food chart for same week
GOOD SPORT:
a) 2 points to each member who reaches out to encourage a member of another team during the week (via phone, email, letter, etc.); additional 10 point bonus for entire team being good sports in same week

Hope this helps. You can tailor it to fit your group. Our group is really getting into the contest. We chose team names last night. We also have little plastic bases and we line up and we take turns going our bases according to the chart. We all cheer and clap!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #353
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Dianne, for the info on the contest.

I stayed the same tonight, wahoo. We had our picnic tonight and I made the Black Bean Brownies that I found originally in a TOPS magazine several months ago. Many asked for the recipe.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys, I was only down half a pound yesterday. Not great. I'll try to do better this week. We had a member do a program on what she typically ate. I wonder how she loses weight eating ginger snaps, fat free ice cream and turkey burgers. And on weekends she has waffles.
Someone else said that sugar is better for you then fat because fat sticks to your body and doesn't go anywhere.
It took all my power not to say something. Where do they get this stuff!?

Vicki, We're having our picnic on August 25th and I'm planning on making the black bean brownies also. I found it on this site in the south beach diet area. I didn't know it was in the TOPS magazine too. How did it turn out. I've never made it before. I'd be afraid I'd eat the whole thing :-)
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #355
Blabbermouth!!!

Susan, I had positive comments about the brownies. I would be interested in seeing what the Black Bean Brownie recipe is from SB diet too, if they are the same or not. I think you can go to the TOPS website and get the recipe. If you can't I can post it here if you would like.

Also, down half a pound is great, remember two sticks of butter LOL. As long as the scale is on the downward trend that is fine.

I know what you mean about the fat and sugar debate. I had members comment about ingredients they used in some of the recipes, such as low fat or no fat this and that. Who cares, I would prefer full fat stuff, it tastes better anyways. Also, fruit salads galore. One was apples with plain yogurt and cinnamon as a dressing, but there was sugar added !! Not sweetner.

The person that was going to bring a hamburger zucchini dish she usually brings (I was counting on this being my main dish) wasn't there due to a family emergency. My only protein option was deviled eggs which I swear had sugar in the yolk mixture. There were lasagna rolls and taco salad with fritos and topped with sugary french/catalina dressing. ARGH. I ususally take a protein/veggie type thing I can eat just in case, but since I had counted on this gal bringing her usual I didn't.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Susan, I had positive comments about the brownies. I would be interested in seeing what the Black Bean Brownie recipe is from SB diet too, if they are the same or not. I think you can go to the TOPS website and get the recipe. If you can't I can post it here if you would like.

Also, down half a pound is great, remember two sticks of butter LOL. As long as the scale is on the downward trend that is fine.

I know what you mean about the fat and sugar debate. I had members comment about ingredients they used in some of the recipes, such as low fat or no fat this and that. Who cares, I would prefer full fat stuff, it tastes better anyways. Also, fruit salads galore. One was apples with plain yogurt and cinnamon as a dressing, but there was sugar added !! Not sweetner.

The person that was going to bring a hamburger zucchini dish she usually brings (I was counting on this being my main dish) wasn't there due to a family emergency. My only protein option was deviled eggs which I swear had sugar in the yolk mixture. There were lasagna rolls and taco salad with fritos and topped with sugary french/catalina dressing. ARGH. I ususally take a protein/veggie type thing I can eat just in case, but since I had counted on this gal bringing her usual I didn't.
Oh, isn't it scarey. I also plan on bringing a couple of dishes I know I can have. I'm also going to bring a caulifower salad made with REAL mayonaisse. I can only picture the shocked looks when they realize it's not light :-)
The fruit salad gave me an idea. Maybe I'll take a fruit salad type dish with full fat yogurt and so fresh tasting because it has no sugar :-)
Sounds Yummy.
I'll go check out the TOPS website and see if I can find that recipe and compare.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

We had our picnic last week. A few bragged about their lowfat dishes. But surprisingly we have a number who are now trying to not eat sugar so there were lots of options for me to eat. There were some foods that I did not touch of course. I think your best bet when going to any potluck function is to bring one or two dishes/foods that you can eat and then you won't go hungry.

We went to a wedding reception of our nephew's on Saturday and I was so surprised that one main item was ravioli. I took a tiny tiny bite and thought yuck! I haven't eaten pasta or starches for almost 3 years and it tasted gross to me. But they did have chicken, shrimp, Caesar salad and fruit that I ate.

Vicki, How many calories, carbs, etc. in those brownies? I just wondered if they were an option for an occasional treat.

I agree with Vicki, Susan that 1/2 lb. is 2 sticks of butter. Our bodies sometimes hold on a little tighter to the weight and then, boom we start losing more again. I think this hot weather also contributes to not losing as fast. I usually don't lose as easily in the hot weather.

On a note about our new contest: last week we had a lot of losses and only 2 very minor gains. That is better than the previous weeks. I think it motivates everyone because they don't want to let their team down. I am anxious to see what happens tomorrow.

Have a great Wednesday!!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Dianne, This is the recipe that I have. I've been scared to try them because I'll probaly have portion control problems and I'm not sure how beans will effect me.
(the fiber count wasn't listed so not sure of the real carb count)
CHOCOLATE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

Makes 8

1 cup (200g/7 oz) dried black beans, soaked overnight (or 3 cups cooked black beans)
1 large egg
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ cup granular Splenda

If using dried black beans, cook in usual way. If using tinned black beans, drain and rinse well.

Preheat oven to 180ºC/355ºF. Prepare an 8 x 8" cake pan.

Mix ingredients together in food processor until pureed. Pour into cake pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until done. Cool in tin on wire rack, then cut into 8 portions.

Nutritional info per brownie
Cals: 155
Carbs: 19.9g
Protein: 8.6g
Fat: 5.2g

Last edited by tomswife; 07-29-2009 at 12:36 PM..
Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #359
Major LCF Poster!

I mentioned these brownies at TOPS tonight and everyone thought they sounded icky. I think it must just be something you have to try to believe how good they are.

I stayed the same tonight (turtled). I was happy with that. I have now maintained at 117 for 2 weeks. I wish I could push it down to 115 but that would be at the bottom of my leeway.

Have a great Friday!!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 AM   #360
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Dianne,
I also mentioned it to someone and they made a face :-) People swear that you can't taste the beans, though :-) I also ran across a white cake recipe last night made with white beans. I may make some next week to see how they turn out before I make some for our picnic. If I do I'll let you know how they turn out. They're suppose to freeze well so I can pop the rest in the freezer.
That is so great, Dianne about you staying the same. I suppose if you're body is ready to go down another couple pounds, it'll do it.
Have a good day!
Closed Thread