Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #301
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Great story Dianne. How do you post pics in the message part here?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Thank you Susan and Vicki. I just thought about something after writing that sentence. My sisters' names are - Susan and Vicki! What a coincidence.

I did lowcarb several times before I joined TOPS. Both times I did it for a goal. I lost weight to go on a trip. I only lost about 30 lbs. Then I went back to my bad habits. The next time I did lowcarb I did it before our daughter got married. I went down to about 140 and then went back to bad habits again. The difference for me this time is it is not a diet. It is a WOE. I love eating lc and I feel so much better. So when I joined TOPS I started doing lc the very next day and have never looked back. I never think about what I "can't" have as it is always my choice what I want to eat. I just choose to not eat the junk. The other 2 times I did this, I tried to make substitutes or buy lc products to eat. This time I eat very simply and I love it. I very very rarely have some sf candy but most of the time if I want to have chocolate, I eat a square of Lindt 85% Extra Dark chocolate. It satisfies me and then I might not eat it again for several weeks. This coming from a huge chocoholic!

I am glad Susan you found lc way of eating. I know for me I feel so much better!

Vicki to put pictures in your message, go to the bottom of the page when you are typing your message and it says manage attachments. Click on that and then upload your photo. It will put it in your message. HTH.

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html

Last edited by NWLoser; 06-25-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Old 06-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #303
Major LCF Poster!

I decided to post my tips that I hand out at my speaking to TOPS chapters. Maybe it will inspire some others reading this thread. I know that you Susan and Vicki probably use some of these already.

1. Find a Plan that will work for a lifetime. Losing weight should be a quest to get healthy & a lifestyle change.

2. Eat very simply. Cut down on processed foods.

3. Weigh or measure your portions. It is surprising how you can misjudge portion size. I personally think this is the dieter’s biggest hurdle.

4. Eat at least 3x a day. I eat 5x as I incorporate 2 snacks.

5. Get rid of any food that causes you to stray from your eating plan.

6. Keep a journal/food diary to help evaluate what you are doing and what needs to change.

7. Add some sort or exercise or walking.

8. Keep foods that you can fix quickly so that you are not tempted to just grab the first thing you see. I always have tuna that I can mix up. I also keep things like cucumbers, celery, broccoli, radishes, and other low calorie veggies to snack on if I am hungry. I will slice cucumbers or radishes thin so I can have them in a bowl to snack on like you would chips or crackers.

9. Drink 8 glasses of water a day.

10. Use a smaller plate for meals.

11. Attend TOPS meetings.

12. Calories do count. You need to familiarize yourself with how many calories are in the foods you eat.

13. If you want chocolate, switch to dark chocolate. Lindt 85% Extra Dark is a good choice.

14. Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb and McCormick Worcestershire Ground Black Pepper Blend have a lot of flavor. They make food taste wonderful! I do not add salt to foods. Costco has a wonderful salt-free seasoning made of 21 spices.

15. Some good internet sites you can use are: ******.com; calorieking.com, ***********.com, thedailyplate.com or calorie-count.com

16. I finally realized that if I "cheat" (eat off plan), I am not cheating or fooling anyone else but myself. I think I used to treat it as I would have when I was a child and sneaking a cookie out of the cookie jar, no one would know and so it wouldn't matter. But if I do it now, it does matter, there are consequences.

I hope I am not boring anyone! :blush:

Last edited by NWLoser; 06-25-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Old 06-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Dianne, Those are great tips. And they apply to any kind of plan, not just low carbers. I do most of those now but I had to live and learn to get to this point :-) You are such an inspiration to others. Not just at Tops but on this board also.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife View Post
Dianne, Those are great tips. And they apply to any kind of plan, not just low carbers. I do most of those now but I had to live and learn to get to this point :-) You are such an inspiration to others. Not just at Tops but on this board also.
:blush::blush: Ah, thanks Susan.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Well I turtled at TOPS tonight. That is fine with me. That made me the best KOPS of the week.

Now for my exciting news: Drum Roll Please..........

I was surprised with a very special ceremony tonight - I received my Century Medallion. You receive it after keeping 100 lbs. off for a year. I was so surprised and my chapter each helped participate in it. Each one brought something to represent 100 lbs. lost. Some gave me 100 pennies, 100 pieces of gum, 100 paperclips, etc. There were reasons read what each represented. I even got a planter with 100 flower buds. I almost started crying as I was overwhelmed. I knew I earned the Century Medallion but did not realize when I would receive it. I also did not know it was such a big deal. It was such a great week for me. I feel so special. :blush: Lynda the Oregon TOPS coordinator and our area captain were there to present it along with a certificate. I will now be wearing the necklace (Century Medallion) when I go to speak at chapters with my crown and sash. :blush: Next year at SRD they will present me again with the Century Medallion so all of the Oregon TOPS members can see me receiving it. It will be the same medallion but they just want the other members to acknowledge my achievement.

Last edited by NWLoser; 06-25-2009 at 10:00 PM..
Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, Dianne, That is so great. You must be so proud. And you are so deserving. Keeping 100 pounds off for a year is no small feat.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #308
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GREERS
Stats: 196/195/135
Start Date: 1/4/10 again...
I'm proud of you girl!!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Susan and Greers.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #310
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Greers. Tell us about yourself a bit and your experience with TOPS.

I have TOPS tonight and I am doing the program tonight on strength training. I copied off some info I got on the internet along with diagrams of exercises. I asked everyone to bring two equal weight cans of food and that is what they are going to use for weights. Then we are donating the food to the local food pantry. It should be fun, I hope.

Dianne, our group desperately needs rejuvination. The same people have been there for many years and most of them are actually heavier now than when they joined. Granted, age could be a factor. But, what can I do to get them motivated? I don't think our group is in to the hokey contests and costumes that are often shown in the TOPS News. Any suggestions from anyone, would be great. I am the only KOPS now and the first in a very, very long time (10 years).

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
Old 06-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Hi guys, I had my weigh in this morning. Even though most of my vacation weight came off pretty easy I was still up 1/2 pound. Not bad I guess considering I was gone for 2 weeks.
Vicki, the strength training with the cans sounds like a good talk. I wish I had some ideas for you. Our Tops don't do much for motivation either.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

That is great Susan! You did a great job getting that vacation weight back off.

I am still thinking of ideas for you Vicki. Is there anything that your group really enjoys? For example would they be into a contest if they would win something big? Right now we have several contests going. One is that you take a $5 monopoly bill home. You get $5 in 4 weeks if you show up to each meeting and either turtle or lose weight. We have only given $5 away so far. Every other person that has taken one has either missed a meeting or gained. I will keep thinking of other ideas. This game is not for our KOPS. I am sorry to hear you are the only KOPS. How many members do you have? We have 5 KOPS and about 20 active members.

I got to go make lunch for dh. Back later.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #313
Blabbermouth!!!

I was down 4 3/4 lbs tonight. I am still in leeway though. The program was a success tonight too. Three grocery sacks full of canned goods is what was donated afterwards, four of which were mine that I had brought in case others forgot their canned foods. I used 5 lb dumbells during the program. Unfortunately, for the whole group, we had a 7.25net gain; but we still have a net loss for the year of 30 lbs.

I would say we have 12-15 active members Dianne. As I said, I am the only KOPS, but we have a member who is within 5 lbs of her goal.

My treasurer and his wife were in a motorcycle accident on Sat. and won't be at meetings for a while still. I need to get a temporary replacement to take care of the $$$ business. I have been able to send in renewals to the coordinator, but that is it.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Wowe, Vicki, That is great! I'm glad your program was a success.
Our leader has never done a program, at least since I've been there. It seems like the same 3 people do programs all the time. I would love to see someone new up there :-)
I'm so sorry about your treasurer and his wife. I hope they'll be ok.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Vicki! That is a great loss tonight! If you start keeping your weight very close to the bottom of leeway, then lower your goal. I lowered my 3x after my first goal. I will probably lower it one more time. You don't want to lose KOPS status because of bottoming out!

Sounds like your program was great! I think using canned food and then donating it was a good idea. I might have to steal your idea.

That is too bad about your treasurer and wife. You need to have someone take over for him.

Susan, at our group the first 2 years I belonged only the leader did the programs. Now for the last year we have been taking turns and it works out great. There are a few that have not done a program but most participate. We have 3 huge TOPS notebooks and you can choose a program from there or give your own. It has worked out well.

Have a great evening everyone!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #316
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Hi Vicki! That is a great loss tonight! If you start keeping your weight very close to the bottom of leeway, then lower your goal. I lowered my 3x after my first goal. I will probably lower it one more time. You don't want to lose KOPS status because of bottoming out!

Sounds like your program was great! I think using canned food and then donating it was a good idea. I might have to steal your idea.
If I lower my goal, do I need to still keep getting wt. slips from the dr.??? I have a wt slip still of 160, I could use it I guess.

Go ahead and use my idea from last night. In fact, this morning I submitted the idea to TOPS NEws for Chapter News column. I don't know if it will be printed, but what the heck. I also submitted a recipe too, hopefully that will make it. Be watching . . . I know it takes 2-3 months.

I went to the TOPS website and found a bunch of program and contest ideas. Gee, why didn't I think of that before

Now, I am on a roll. I may do just like they do at WW, the leader does the program. I think I need to change things up.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, yes you need a doctor's slip for goal changes. I still have one lower weight one that I can turn in if I lower my goal. I just ask the dr. when I go if he will write me out several different ones so if I change goals. Just don't have them dated. (Although I was told it doesn't matter if they are dated).

I think you giving the programs might shake things up. I would find out if there was any kind of contest that could get them motivated. Is there any prize such as money that could get them excited?

There are lots of ideas on the tops website. There are also ideas on this website: welovetops.com

Have a great day!! I get to go to the dr. today with my daughter who is having a baby in August. We will be taking her 3 yr. old daughter so she will be able to hear the heartbeat. Helana will be so excited as she talks about Jeremiah all of the time. I think she will be a good big sister.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #318
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the other website Dianne, I will check it out.

Oh, you are a grandma, neat. My boys are 25, 22, and 9. Neither have dated period. Well, the oldest two have maybe gone on one date in their whole life. So, I imagine it is going to be some time before I am a grandma.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

We were only blessed with one daughter, 28. We wanted more kids but it didn't happen. I was still hoping until I was 48! I am now 54 and am happy to just be a grandma. We love our son-in-law as if he is our son. So it is a lot of fun. Helana loved hearing the heartbeat today.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys,
I hope everyone had a good fourth. We went camping for a couple of days. This was the first time I'd been camping. Didn't think I'd like it. Still don't :-)
I just wanted to get away cause the fireworks scare my dog so bad. So it was nice and quiet so it wasn't too bad. I packed all on plan things. Except I probally ate a little too much fruit but it was so easy to pack and everything looked so good at the farmers market.
Anyway, I was down 2 pounds this morning at Tops. We had allot of gains today. I think there was only 4 losses out of the whole group. Everyone was talking about all the barbecues they went to and all the good food :-)
4th of July never was one of my favorite holidays so I usually don't do much anyway.
Have a good day!

Susan
Old 07-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

Woohoo Susan on the loss! Are you back down to the weight you were before your family reunion? Were you the best loser?

I like to go camping but not in a tent. Some people say it isn't camping if you don't rough it but I like it in a RV. We sold ours so we don't even have one right now. Next one we buy will be much bigger. We like the fifth wheel trailers.

Good luck tonight Vicki on your weigh-in.

I speak to another TOPS chapter tomorrow.

We are getting ready for a big garage sale this weekend. It is so much work so I hope to not have another one for years and years.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Dianne,
Yes I was the biggest loser :-) I'm down 1 1/4 pounds from when I left for the reunion. So I'm happy about that. I was also second place in the best loser for June. Kind of nice since I was gone 2 weeks. It was for 5 pounds. The biggest loser for the month lost 6 pounds :-)

I was so envious looking a folks in the campground that had RVS. I want one one of these days. We had a nice big air mattress and lots of blankets so it wasn't too bad but I'd still rather be inside :-)

Too bad I'm not in your area. I love garage sales. I map out my plan every Satuday Morning. I've never had one. They do look like they'd be allot of work. Let me know how it goes.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #323
Blabbermouth!!!

Susan, congrats on the loss over a holiday WTG.

I know I had my fair share of burgers and brats this past weekend along with mayo salads. I will post later about my results for the week

Dianne, since you are doing these talking engagements, do you get mileage reimbursement?

I am going through junk for a garage sale too, sometime this summer, no date set yet.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, the TOPS chapter gives me a donation for gas. They decide how much but I actually do not care if they give it to me or not. The last chapter gave me $20 and a gift. They were the farthest away so far. They were about 40 miles from my home. I don't ask for it, they just give it to me in a card. There was never any discussion on my part about gas money but I know if someone speaks at our chapter that we give them a donation.

Susan, if I am ever in your area I will get together with you. We were going for a number of years to Long Creek elk hunting. We would spend the night in Pendleton on our way there. I don't know if we will go again or not. We didn't last year. I am not sure how far Elgin is from Pendleton? Congrats on being the best loser. You are melting away. Are you halfway to goal? We give a halfway to goal charm to our members.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Vicki, the TOPS chapter gives me a donation for gas. They decide how much but I actually do not care if they give it to me or not. The last chapter gave me $20 and a gift. They were the farthest away so far. They were about 40 miles from my home. I don't ask for it, they just give it to me in a card. There was never any discussion on my part about gas money but I know if someone speaks at our chapter that we give them a donation.

Susan, if I am ever in your area I will get together with you. We were going for a number of years to Long Creek elk hunting. We would spend the night in Pendleton on our way there. I don't know if we will go again or not. We didn't last year. I am not sure how far Elgin is from Pendleton? Congrats on being the best loser. You are melting away. Are you halfway to goal? We give a halfway to goal charm to our members.
MMM....I'm not sure. Let's see.....I first weighed in at Tops at about 225.
I'm at 195 now. My goal for Tops is 130. I'm no good at math but nobody has said anything to me. Somebody mentioned they give something for the first 10 pounds lost but I haven't gotten anything :-) So who knows :-)

Pendleton is about 50 miles from Elgin. We go there every now and then so I'd love to meet up if you find yourself over here.

Vicki,
Good luck with your weigh in. If you stayed on plan the rest of the week, there's no reason why you wouldn't lose a bit. I'll be sending good vibes your way.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #326
Blabbermouth!!!

I lost 2.25 lbs tonight, still in leeway by 1.5 lbs. I mentioned to the wt recorders about your idea Dianne. Having the dr. write wt slips every 5 lbs. The didn't seem to understand that idea. Someone could be in KOPS all of time then. Oh well.

We had a small number in attendance tonight, only 7. Only two of those seven lost, I don't count since I am KOPS. Our group has a net yearly loss of around 25#.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

That is a great loss, Vicki!
Our attendance was down also this morning. Must be vacation time :-)
Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Hi everyone...
Ok I have check out 2 of the TOPS meetings here and they were not for me. The one was all old lady (in their late 60 to 70) and just wanted to talk about their pains and kids. The other one was farther but they had a good mix of people (men and lady, all ages) BUT they spent little time on weight loss and most of their time was on their church service and what the Bible said. Don't get me wrong I love my God and I go to church, I am a Christ follower... but I did not go there for that... I went to have support
group..
I keep reading your post and would love to have that kind of help and friendship but....
there is two more different meeting places I could check out but I am very disappointed at this point...
Sorry if I am just venting.... you gal have me wishing for the same support and friendship you have found...
thank for reading...
ali
Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #329
Blabbermouth!!!

Ali, if the other two meetings are a reasonable distance, please check them out. Don't give up. You might also contact the coordinator of the other two groups through the website and comment about what you found. But, first, if there is any way to try them again, do it. I know you are only allowed to visit once, but maybe there could be an exception.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimar57 View Post
Hi everyone...
Ok I have check out 2 of the TOPS meetings here and they were not for me. The one was all old lady (in their late 60 to 70) and just wanted to talk about their pains and kids. The other one was farther but they had a good mix of people (men and lady, all ages) BUT they spent little time on weight loss and most of their time was on their church service and what the Bible said. Don't get me wrong I love my God and I go to church, I am a Christ follower... but I did not go there for that... I went to have support
group..
I keep reading your post and would love to have that kind of help and friendship but....
there is two more different meeting places I could check out but I am very disappointed at this point...
Sorry if I am just venting.... you gal have me wishing for the same support and friendship you have found...
thank for reading...
ali
Hi Ali,
I'm so sorry you have not found the right group yet. I know what you mean though. If you are at Tops you want it to be about weight loss, not other things. Our Tops also have mainly older ladies and there is a bit of talk about aches and doctors appointments and such but not allot. I do hope you keep trying and find a group you can feel comfortable with but if you can't you can always come here to learn and for support.
Good Luck!

Susan
Closed Thread