Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Sewlowcarber, That is great about your loss! Dianne is right, come here and we'll have a meeting of our own.

Dianne, I was watching on the news about the terrible weather in and around Portland. I'm glad everyone is ok. If they were watching the news it said when the storm was going to pass but I guess they didn't want to take a chance. I think it said 50,000 people lost power. We had a little thunder lightening here but not much.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Good morning everyone. How did you do yesterday Vicki and Susan? Hope you had good weigh-ins.

SewLowCarber how are you doing this week? I hope not having a meeting won't allow you to slide a little. I treat each week as if I am going to be accountable to weigh even if I am going to miss a meeting. It would be too easy to overindulge and say, oh well I have an extra week to get off any weight I gain.

I just saw your stats Susan. Wow you are melting! WTG!! KUTGW!

Wishing all you TOPS members a great day!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #273
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I wasn't able to go to TOPS last night due to a previous commitment. I am recovering from incisional hernia surgery that was done last Thurs. and I went yesterday to get staples out. But, they weren't ready to come out yet. I am also quite distended and bloated. All the innards are working as they should but I look 6 months prego. The surgeon said that was normal. Yea, but . . . . I want to look skinny
Old 06-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki - That sounds painful. I hope you recover quickly from the bloat, etc.

I love your new avatar. You look stunning!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Dianne for your kind words. After being stalled around 200 for the longest time it feels good to be below that. I was down another 2 pounds on Tuesday. Sorry I didn't post last night. I'm getting ready to go out of town for about 10 days. I'm going down to Corvallis (Dianne is probally the only one on here that knows where that's at:-)) My parents live there and we're having a family reunion. So I won't be at TOPS for 2 weeks but, like you said, Dianne, I'm going to eat like I'm going to be weighing in. I talked to my mom about what I normally eat and , even though they don't quite understand the low carb thing (my dad thinks I'm killing myself :-)) she seemed quite willing to cook something for each meal that I can have. I tried to make it pretty simple for her and I don't think it's going to hurt me if I don't eat as much fat as I'm use to. So I actually think I'll be ok.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Hi everyone..
I have a question...You can do TOPS and low carbs at the same time? How does that work? I mean don't they have their own diet? And what kind of support can they give you(like better food choice/excersize) I need all the help I can get, but don't see how this would work without getting me more confused.
Thank for your help!!!
Ali
Old 06-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Ali, TOPS has a diet plan they hand out but it is optional. You are allowed to do whatever plan you would like. It is mainly a support group. We do have programs that in our chapter we take turns presenting. Some people do lowfat so sometimes the programs are about that. I just tune that out thinking how I have the best plan ever! I love the weekly support and help. I love my group and we have become very close.

TOPS is nonprofit and is quite inexpensive. It is $26 for national dues which includes the TOPS magazine about 10 times a year. Our chapter has dues of $4 per month but that is set by each chapter. Some charge a little less and some a little more. We have lots of contests and incentives to lose. It is fun and I think a great way in real life to get some support. You can always visit a chapter without joining. If you go to TOPS.org there is a place to find a chapter near you by putting in your zip code.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

P.S. I have done all my TOPS weight loss doing lowcarb.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, You are doing great. I bet the chapter wonders what "magic pill" you have found. They probably wouldn't believe them if you told them you eat fat and no sugar.

Have fun at your family reunion. You will be closer to me than you are now when you are in Corvallis. It isn't close just closer.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Susan, You are doing great. I bet the chapter wonders what "magic pill" you have found. They probably wouldn't believe them if you told them you eat fat and no sugar.

Have fun at your family reunion. You will be closer to me than you are now when you are in Corvallis. It isn't close just closer.
Yup, I only told one person I was doing high fat. Only because she saw me in the grocery store buying heavy cream and lots od hamburger. She still looked at me like I was crazy :-) Otherwise I just keep quiet. This week the weight recorder did ask me if I was starving myself LOL. I just smiled and said heck no :-)

Our co leader is going in this week for weight loss surgery. I don't know if she has some serious issues associated with her weight but that's the only reason I can think of to do something like that. I think she said she expects to lose 50 to 70 pounds. She only looks like she's about 100 pounds overweight. I am curious to see her when she gets back. She won't be back until July 7th. Cause I've never known anyone personally that had that surgery. My husband was so glad to hear me say that I could never do something like that :-) And she seemed to be doing good. Lost the last few weeks. In fact this week she was biggest loser. But Like I said, I don't know the circumstances or anything.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

I had my weigh-in tonight and I am at the lowest weight I have been at since high school. I was 117.25! Now there is less than half of me! I have lost 117.75 lbs. Wow that is hard to even visualize. I am pretty happy with that number. I would love to maintain at 115-117. I will have to see if that can happen.

Where are you SewLowCarber? We would love to hear how you are doing.

Susan I hope you have a great reunion!!

Vicki, I hope you are feeling better since your surgery.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #281
Blabbermouth!!!

Dianne, congrats on being lower than HS weight, cool. Are you below the leeway for KOPS? The lowest I remember being in HS was in the mid 160's where I have been recently.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, I am 2.25 lbs. away from the bottom of my leeway. If I can stay close to 115-116, then I will lower my goal a few more lbs. My official goal right now is 122. I am thinking of lowering it to 119-120 so I can go just those few extra lbs. lower.

Vicki, I love your new avatar. It is stunning!

Have a great Friday everyone. I am off to lunch with a friend in a little while.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #283
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Vicki, I love your new avatar. It is stunning!

TY, TY love the compliment. Many have said the same thing I need to make a copy and give it to my BF

OT: Isn't it silly to call a 49 yr old man a boyfriend? But, man friend sounds too weird as does lover, partner and SO.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
TY, TY love the compliment. Many have said the same thing I need to make a copy and give it to my BF

OT: Isn't it silly to call a 49 yr old man a boyfriend? But, man friend sounds too weird as does lover, partner and SO.
You are welcome. I definitely think you should make one for the boyfriend. It is just too pretty to keep to yourself. I think boyfriend is the appropriate term, no matter what the age. I know an 82 year old that refers to her man friend as her boyfriend. I think the other terms sound a little too weird too.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #285
Blabbermouth!!!

Yikes, weigh in tonight I was up 4.25 lbs to 174. I am one pound over leeway. Thank goodness there is a 2 week period to get back in leeway. I am partly to blame for the gain as I haven't been watching it as close. I ate lunch today too. But, part of the gain, I believe, has to do with post surgical swelling because my belly still looks about 4-5 months preg.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki. I think you are right about the surgical swelling. You will be down next week. Are you feeling okay after the surgery?

Susan - are you home yet?? I know you went to a family reunion and I wasn't sure when you were getting back.

SewLowCarber, how are you doing? We haven't heard from you in awhile.

I worked on pruning and cleaning up in the yard so I am pooped tonight! I think I will sleep fine.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #287
Blabbermouth!!!

I am recovering fine and on track. I had the staples out yesterday and the nurse said swelling can last up to 6 weeks. Of course, I should know that since I AM a nurse LOL. But, we can make the worst patients!!!!

I am taking courses through Clayton College of Natural Health working towards my Wellness Certificate and I am starting the course "Elements of Holistic Nutrition: Enzymes, Phytonutrients, and Antioxidants". All of the courses are self-study, but I go online to submit papers and do the exams. Jonny Bowden is an author of one of the books I am to read with this course "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth". I know he has written a book about low carb eating too. Amazon.com: Living the Low Carb Life: Controlled...Amazon.com: Living the Low Carb Life: Controlled...
Good luck everyone with weigh in this week.
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
10-28 203.2 down 3.2 lbs Total - 57.2 lbs
11-27 204.8 up 1.6 lbs Total - 55.6 lbs
Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Hello everyone I keep forgetting about this group. I am also in Tops but I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds *sigh* I find lc doesnt work if I dont calories too. Does anyone else do calorie counting along with their lc?? I have been in Tops maybe 5 years now. I do love it our group meets tues morning and goes out for lunch afterwards. They did chinese this week which I opted out of.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #289
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome soon, I don't count calories, but there might be others that do, maybe not here on the TOPS group.

The other members of my TOPS group have done the same thing as you, up and down over the same 5-20 pounds for many years. I am now the leader and would like to find a way to encourage people to lose down to a goal. I am not sure how to do that.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Soon glad to see you here.

Vicki, I agree with you about trying to encourage others to lose those lbs. they keep losing and gaining. Not sure what to do about that either.

Soon, I never really counted calories doing lc until I was close to goal. Now that I weigh so much less, calories do count more. I do watch my calories now most of the time. HTH. Are you close to goal?

I have my weigh-in tonight.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #291
Blabbermouth!!!

I was down at TOPS tonight and in leeway. 171.5 was 174. Hopefully, the scale will continue downward.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah Vicki!! WTG!

I wonder if Susan is around. I haven't heard from her since she left for her family reunion.

I visited a TOPS chapter tonight and gave my story. As state royalty (queen runner-up) I will be visiting a number of chapters giving my story. They were very nice and said they felt inspired. I hope so! :blush: They actually called me tiny! :blush:
Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 AM   #293
Blabbermouth!!!

Dianne, that is neat. What a way to reinforce your journey of weight loss. When you are sharing your story, do you include that LC is your woe??? If so, what kind of response do you get?

Can you share your story here???
Old 06-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Dianne, that is neat. What a way to reinforce your journey of weight loss. When you are sharing your story, do you include that LC is your woe??? If so, what kind of response do you get?

Can you share your story here???
Thank you Vicki. It is a very positive experience sharing my story. I do not say I am doing LC. I say that I do not eat sugar or processed foods. If asked then I say I do lowcarb. I get positive vibes from everyone but I do say that everyone has to find the plan that works for them and their lifestyle. I don't want to seem too pushy. I always meet a number of people who do LC. I will share my story tonight as I need to get busy! Below is a photo of me taken with 2 members of that TOPS chapter last night. Have a great day!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakingatdallas.jpg (52.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #295
Blabbermouth!!!

Great pic, Dianne.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys,
I got home late last night. Spent today getting got up on e-mails, housecleaning, and shopping.
I had a good time but my parents about drove me nuts :-) 2 weeks was a little long to spend there.
I tried to tell them what I could eat without making it too complicated. And they were very insistent that they didn't want me to spend much money and since I didn't have a car, it was a little tricky. I did stay on plan most of the time but they fed me allot of ham and cheese. I didn't realize how unhealthy they ate until now. They only veggies they had was peas. Which I'm not suppose to have but I figured if I wanted any veggies ate all, they were better then nothing.
And my dad still thinks my diet is unhealthy. A couple of things he said really had me shaking my head. He was telling people (I don't tell people anything but he loves to talk and will tell anyone who will listen everything) that I'm on a no carb diet.
I told him it was a LOW carb diet. He said his doctor told him that veggies have such a low carb count that they don't count as carbs. And what his doctor says is gospel.
And then, I was telling him that low carb is a very good diabetic diet (he's diabetic) and he said "why would I want to eat all that crap when I can eat really good food and just take a shot". WOW! Really?
And I got so backed up. I told my mom it was because of lack of veggies so she tried to give me menamucal.
About a week in my mom was taking all of us out to Izzys. That was going to be one of my cheat days but I had a big salad with lots of veggies and called it good. I felt so much better and things started moving along. So the actual reunion day was my only cheat day.
This morning I was up 11 pounds. Oh well, it should come off pretty fast. Lots of water today and veggies :-)
Sounds like everyone is having a good week. Dianne, how about you come up here to island city to do a talk :-) I think most everyone in my group is doing low fat. Maybe you can inspire some.
Well, I got to go and get some sleep. Still feel sluggish from the traveling.
Have a good night,

Susan
Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Susan - it is so good to have you back! I would love to come to your chapter but I don't think I am going that way in the near future. If I am, I will let you know.

You will get those pounds off quickly! I hope you had some fun at your parents' house. I love my parents to death but 2 weeks would be too long for me!

Thank you Vicki! I was not unhappy about last night's photo. It is good to see how I look to others as I still have a fat person pictured in my mind most of the time. It blows me away when people call me tiny!

Next post will be my long story given last night. Hope it does not bore you to tears!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

I have been yo-yo dieting over the last 30 years. I knew how to lose weight but not how to keep it off. I would lose weight then regain it and be heavier than before. I could even lose a large amount but I could not keep it off. I would go back to my old ways and habits and the weight would come back. I tried Diet Center, WW, Lean Cuisine, etc.

It was not unusual for me to eat 3 candy bars at a time. When I was out and about I would think about where to stop and get something to eat. Fast food and snacks were my friends. I loved chocolate, chips, etc. It was not unheard of for me to go out late at night to get some chocolate. Of course, I always drank diet soda. I lived for food.

I joined TOPS on Dec. 7, 2006. I was wearing size 20-22 elastic waist pants. I couldn’t stand anything tight on my waist. I was wearing a tight 3x shirt and 4x was really my size. I now wear a medium shirt and a size 2 jeans.

My daughter was bugging me that year as I had a new granddaughter. She would say you don’t have a lap. I was upset with her and instead of doing something about it I actually gained more. She was always taunting me with the info that her MIL was losing weight at TOPS. I said goodie for her! Then one day the phone rang and it was a dear friend asking me to join TOPS. I had known this dear lady almost my entire life and just couldn’t say no to her. So on Dec. 7, 2006 I joined TOPS weighing a 235. That was my highest weight ever! I thought I will visit TOPS but then that will be it. Then my daughter will quit bugging me. I don’t need to go to TOPS.

Well I fell in love with the TOPS members. I loved that there were contests. I am very competitive. LOL! I loved the support and encouragement. My TOPS chapter was there with me on this journey. I often thought about the line in the TOPS pledge: Even if I overeat in private my excess poundage is there for all the world to see. This made a huge impression on me. I had been fooling myself. Eating in secret was what got me where I was. I found that my chapter was there to laugh with me, cry with me, support me and cheer me on my way.

So I decided this would be it. I was never going to have to lose a huge amount again. What was different this time?? 3 things. I decided I had to make a lifestyle change. I had to find something that I could stick to for the rest of my life. It could not be a temporary fix or diet. It had to be something I could enjoy. Second I had my TOPS chapter. Third was my attitude. I was going to do this. I was determined to lose.

I decided to give up sugar. I also gave up processed foods. I made my mind up that I would eat very simply.

Now this all sounds so very easy. I had it made - you are thinking. Well actually I had a number of obstacles. But I decided they were not going to stop me. There would be NO EXCUSES. I had found there was no magic pill so I had to do this on my own. First I had a chronic disease. I had been diagnosed with lupus 27 years ago. Second I had a history of depression. I took a number of medications for these 2 things. I was hypothyroid, I was past 50 and I was beginning right before the holidays. Well these things were not going to slow me down. I would make adjustments if I needed to but I was not going to use these things as excuses.

I learned portion control and calories. I figured out tips to help myself.
Here is where I handed out a sheet of my tips.

I could not be standing here today with out all of my TOPS friends and all of you sitting here. If you weren’t here, then TOPS might not be here. Only TOPS could help me to keep off this weight. So I want to thank each and every one here today for your help in my goal of losing weight. I no longer have to worry about whether I can climb a set of stairs without being out of breath,or worry if I will fit in a restaurant booth, or even worry that the store may not have anything that will fit me. When my granddaughter was a baby I could hardly carry her up the stairs at our house and now she is 3 years old and I can carry her up the stairs while running! Life is good and I owe it all to TOPS! I will be in TOPS for the rest of my life as I Keep off Pounds Sensibly!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Here is a before and after photo of me. Just a little difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beforeafter.jpg (54.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Dianne, What a story! I also loved that part "Even if I overeat in private my excess poundage is there for all the world to see". That is so true of me also.
Your before and after pictures are amazing. And you are tiny :-)
I have a question. Did you decide to do low carb before you joined tops or after? The reason I ask is that our chapter pushes the low fat so much that if I didn't have something in mind before I joined I probaly would have gotten on the low fat wagon with everyone else, and then fallen off once again.
I didn't even know there was another type of eating out there if it wasn't for the internet and this forum. Before I found low carb I pretty much excepted the fact that I was going to be fat all my life because there was know way I could do low fat.
Closed Thread