Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Location: Born and raised a Hoosier but temporarily On the banks of the Mississippi right between Tom and Huck
Gallery: BetsyAnn
does anyone remember NutraBolic & Formu3 weightloss centers

They were around in the late 80's and early 90's. If I remember right they were based out of Ohio and started out as NutraBolic and later changed to Formu3.
They promoted a low carb diet and had shakes, drink powders and soup mixes that you could use as snacks. They had the best plan of any diet center I have ever seen....and believe me, I've seen em all
BetsyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DavesGirl
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Too many times to remember
I worked at Nutrabolic in 1986 & 1987. That was a really effective diet and the supplements were great! It was restrictive though. They tried to say employees could have a "discount" to do the program. I mean really how could they enforce that when you knew the food plan and we were allowed to purchase the supplements at cost? anyway, I do have some fond memories of Nutrabolic.

Were you a member? If so what was your experience?
DavesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Location: Born and raised a Hoosier but temporarily On the banks of the Mississippi right between Tom and Huck
I LOVED that program! It was somewhat restrictive but I thought the supplements made it so easy to follow. I dropped weight on that at an astounding rate! Always a pound a day! What amazes me was that even after being on it for a couple of months, my weight loss never slowed! I wished I still had all my old pamphlets of the food plan. As best as I can remember...after the meltdown portion, it was 2 eggs, 2 bacon or 1 c no sugar cereal, 1/2 c skim milk for breakfast, 4oz protein, salad and 1 c cooked veggies at lunch, 6 oz protein, salad and 1 c cooked veggies at dinner.
Does that sound right to you Davesgirl?
I do remember after being on it for a week or so that I was never hungry, but what was strange is that normally when I am in ketosis I feel almost like I am strung out on speed. I never had that feeling when I followed their plan. Not sure but maybe it was the supplements that kept me from feeling that way.
Oh, and I also always slept like a baby at night!
Yeah, I too have very fond memories of nutrabolic!~

Last edited by BetsyAnn; 09-03-2007 at 01:43 PM..
Old 09-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now see, I get that same strung out on speed feeling when I'm in Ketosis. I don't like it and have been known to eat something carby to get out of it because it is so uncomfortable. I didn't have that feeling on Nutrabolic either. If you remember, the bacon & egg breakfast also included v8 juice. I think that and the veggies that were allowed prevented that feeling. But you still lost quickly like you were in deep ketosis. Even when I didn't use supplements I didnt feel all speedy. I had lot's of energy though.

They had a phase 2 where you could have the cereal, rice and such. I didn't care much for that. I left the job shortly after that came out so I don't know how successful that was for the clients. I would imagine that the losses weren't as fast. Did you go for weekly weigh ins?

If they would open those centers up today, I'll bet they would be hugely sucessful! It's a shame they're no longer around!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KJ-43
Stats: HW 279 198/176.5/170
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 10/30/06 ,restart 1/2/14,7/2/14
I did the formu 3 and lost 80lbs I thought it was a great woe and the shakes and supplements were great but a little expensive. I didnt do any exercise when I done that diet. I can say looking back that if I had of exercised I would of kept the weight off. I am shocked to here that name again.
KJ-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just cant stand that feeling either and will also eat to get rid of it. It is almost like having bugs crawling all over me!
That's right...I do remember now that it had V8 along with the bacon and eggs.
Yes, I did go to weekly weigh-ins. I lived in southern Indiana at the time and I would hop across the river and go to the center in Owensboro, KY.
A few years down the road they changed names and went to FormYou3. I had the spelling wrong in my original title.
I actually found a website for FormYou3. (I think they are still based out of Ohio) They have the supplements on there and you can order them online without going to a diet center. I am almost tempted. There are very few centers left now and the closest to me is 6 hours away. If it were closer, ooohhh, I would be sooo tempted to rejoin!
I do remember the phase 2 with the rice, etc... but I liked phase 1 so much that I stayed with that one even tho they urged me to move up to phase 2.
Eventually we moved to northern Indiana and there were no centers there and I seriously have been struggling with my weight ever since then.
I dont know why...some things work better for different people. I know Atkins works great, but for some reason, (probably the ketosis feeling), I have always had a terrible time staying on it. I just get too jittery.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think exercise is the key for keeping it off for me too!
I do miss them and I think I am going to give some of the supplements a whirl again! I hope they are as good as they were back then. I remember we used to take the chocolate shake supplement, put it in the blender with water and add 2 oz of cream cheese....OMG...it was to DIE for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ-43 View Post
I did the formu 3 and lost 80lbs I thought it was a great woe and the shakes and supplements were great but a little expensive. I didnt do any exercise when I done that diet. I can say looking back that if I had of exercised I would of kept the weight off. I am shocked to here that name again.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm gonna google that and check out the supplements and any other information I can find. I remember that even back in the eighties it was between $250.00 and $300 to join. I can't imagine what it would be now!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brownmarquette
I remember Formu3

I remember Formu3 in the late 80s/early 90s, I lost 43 pounds on the plan and lost the first 20 pounds in 4 weeks. I am starting the program again tomorrow. I still have my program brochures for 4-5 of the levels. Each brochure had the optional substitutes for their products, so you don't really have to eat their bars and drink their shakes if you have the brochures.
brownmarquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyck34
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: Restart May'11
I loved that program, I lost 45 pounds and loved there pudding had alot of protein in it.
christyck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was shocked to see this post up again! FYI for anyone interested Physicians Weighloss Formula. Just Google it...it is pretty much the same plan. The pudding and shake supplements are the same...yummm! The 800 PWF is almost identical in what you get to eat! I have been back on since November!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmarquette View Post
I remember Formu3 in the late 80s/early 90s, I lost 43 pounds on the plan and lost the first 20 pounds in 4 weeks. I am starting the program again tomorrow. I still have my program brochures for 4-5 of the levels. Each brochure had the optional substitutes for their products, so you don't really have to eat their bars and drink their shakes if you have the brochures.

I lost my brochures in moving and hunted everywhere for someone who had them....where were you?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trace4sewing
Stats: 200/197/160
WOE: JUDD/M/E fast
Start Date: dec.3rd 09
betsyann

I too remember the sucsess I had at FORMU3 back in the eighties. I was wondering betsyann, how your doin since being back on since Nov. And if your following your old brochures or did you join PWL center? Thanks,Tracey

sorry for being so nosey!!
trace4sewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace4sewing View Post
I too remember the sucsess I had at FORMU3 back in the eighties. I was wondering betsyann, how your doin since being back on since Nov. And if your following your old brochures or did you join PWL center? Thanks,Tracey

sorry for being so nosey!!

I am doing great on it! I joined their online plan and since nov 10 I have lost 33lbs....I took 3 days off at Thanksgiving and a whole week off at Christmas because we were travelling out of state and it was just too difficult to stay on! Those 33lbs have equalled almost 3 sizes which is amazing since I have a LOT to lose!
I really need the structure that this plan offers so it is great for me!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trace4sewing
Stats: 200/197/160
WOE: JUDD/M/E fast
Start Date: dec.3rd 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyAnn View Post
I am doing great on it! I joined their online plan and since nov 10 I have lost 33lbs....I took 3 days off at Thanksgiving and a whole week off at Christmas because we were travelling out of state and it was just too difficult to stay on! Those 33lbs have equalled almost 3 sizes which is amazing since I have a LOT to lose!
I really need the structure that this plan offers so it is great for me!
yay you!!! the program is a little pricey for me,but hearing your sucess is certainly motivating!! Tracey
trace4sewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: snoozi
Formu-3

Quote:
Hi! I just googled Formu-3 and found this site and your response. I would love to have the program brochures! I moved several times and now I only have Level 3. Would you be willing to send or fax these to me? I LOVED that program! I was waving bye-bye to pounds...now they found me again!
Many thanks if you could! I have developed some health issues that make losing weight imperative and surgery is not an option since my insurance does not pay for it.
snoozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunshine71961
does anybody still have any of the brochures?

Quote:
I remember this diet, i had lost 53 pounds in 3 months.
sunshine71961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lbecker28
WOE: M&E
I think the plan I remember was called option 4, which was the low carb plan that averaged 3 pound loss per week. The information I found online was that it was 20% carbs, 30% fat, and 50% protein.
lbecker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody100467
Stats: I want to be 140 or less 5ft 3in
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb
Start Date: May 15, 2005 - restart March 1, 2011
Wow...my best friend worked there. As a matter of fact, I have a recipe box full of formu3 recipe cards that she gave to me. I was making mock potato soup back in the early nineties. LOL. I am going to have to look through those recipes and see if there is a low carb gold mine in those cards.

Really...what a blast from the past hearing that name. My friend LOVED working there. Absolutely loved it!

Jody
Jody100467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyAnn View Post
I was shocked to see this post up again! FYI for anyone interested Physicians Weighloss Formula. Just Google it...it is pretty much the same plan. The pudding and shake supplements are the same...yummm! The 800 PWF is almost identical in what you get to eat! I have been back on since November!
I like Physicians Weightloss....but most of their supplements are with aspertame and I had to stop using it due to headaches.......if it were not for that I would so go back there.....

Vicki
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porkfatrules
Stats: 223/183.5/110
WOE: HCG R3
Start Date: Re-re-re-start 5/8/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine71961 View Post
would you be willing to send me the one brochure that you have, or even fax it to me? my email address is
Just a thought -- I personally wouldn't put my e-mail address in the clear on a forum. There are people and automatic systems that look for these, and next thing you know you're inundated with spam.
porkfatrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
[COLOR="Blue"]I am sure if anyone found their old brochure........they could post the menu (plan) on here. I dont think it would be against the rules.....your not selling anything....just telling what the eating portion of the plan was.

Vicki[/COLOR]
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sherry7
Stats: 274/159/149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody100467 View Post
Wow...my best friend worked there. As a matter of fact, I have a recipe box full of formu3 recipe cards that she gave to me. I was making mock potato soup back in the early nineties. LOL. I am going to have to look through those recipes and see if there is a low carb gold mine in those cards.

Really...what a blast from the past hearing that name. My friend LOVED working there. Absolutely loved it!

Jody
OMG, I've been looking for a particular Formu3 recipe for several years. I would be so grateful is you could look through your recipe cards to see if you have it.

I can't remember the exact name, but it was for sloppy joes. They used ground turkey, V-8 juice, mushroom, bok choy or Chinese cabbage, a package of the dry tomato soup that they sold, and I can't remember what else. These things were SO good, and I haven't been able to recreate them without the recipe.

If anyone could share the recipe with me, you'd make my day.
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RaeBaby
WOE: South Beach
formu-3

Has anyone had any luck getting copies of the brochures. I too was once on it several years ago and would like to jump start my weight loss and try it again at least for a little while. I was on South Beach and lost around 70 lbs but have gained some weight back after I had thyroid surgery.

Please help.

Thanks!
RaeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: estarr
I was on NutraBolic in 1988 and lost 31 pounds in less than 3 months. I will be 66 tomorrow. Our granddaughter teaches English in Japan. She is engaged now and will be home in August with her fiance'. I would love to have a copy of the melt down program and where and if I could get supplements? Would like to look nice for her.
estarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Sounds interesting. Just out of curiousity, a question for all of you who did this program and had quick, dramatic results:

Did you maintain the weight loss once you went off the program? For how long?
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I maintained my loss for 6-7 years...then I had a lot of changes in my life, major move, etc... nothing bad, just changes and I got lazy and sometimes sassy and started eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted it!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
That's awesome BetsyAnn!

Sounds like you are having success again the 2nd time around, too. KUTGW!
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stolbac
Formu-3 levels 2 and 4 plan

I used to belong to Formu-3 weight loss centers in the early 1990's and lost 56 pounds - I loved the program and wish they were still around. I still have my brochure for Level 2 and Level 4. I will post what I have and hopefully someone looking for it can benefit. If anyone has the original Meltdown plan I would love for you to share it !!! I will post Level 2 then 4.

Level 2 Breakfast
1 Formu-Fast food product
6 oz. low sodium V8 juice or 1/2 grapefruit
decaf/sugar-free/sodium-free beverages
plus one of the following:

1 C puffed or shredded wheat
1 C puffed rice
1 rice cake
1 Formu-Fast oatmeal food product
or
2 egg whites
1 slice high-fiber low-calorie bread

Level 2 Lunch
1 Formu-fast food product
1 C salad/vegetables
decaf/sugar-free/sodium-free beverages

Level 2 Dinner
4 oz. poultry or seafood
1 C salad/vegetables
1 small potato topped with one of the following : 1 Tbsp parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp low-fat cottage cheese, 1 Tbsp. low-fat yogurt

Level 2 Snacks (optional)
2 Formu-Fast food products
raw vegetables
2 C air popped popcorn
1/4 C skim milk daily for coffee or tea

Daily Unlimited Vegetables include
sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, bamboo shoots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chicory, chinese cabbage, collard greens, cucumber, eggplant, endive, escarole, green beans, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, peppers, pimento, pumpkin, radishes, rhubarb, rutabaga, sauerkraut (rinsed), snow pea pods, spinach, squash, swiss chard, tomatoes, turnips, water chestnuts, watercress, wax beans

You are allowed 4 Formu-Fast food products from the following:
hot cocoa, chocolate/vanilla/strawberry puddings, lemon/orange/grape/grapefruit drinks, cherry/strawberry-banana/raspberry gelatin, cream of chicken/mushroom/tomato soup, oatmeal, honey peanut bar, chocolate supreme bar

Level 2 Extras included
1 Tbsp Miller's Bran
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 Tbsp corn, olive, safflower oil
1 lemon or lime
dry spices
fresh or dry herbs
Worchestershire sauce
low sodium soy sauce
liquid flavor extracts
unflavored gelatin
lite salt, pepper
garlic
mustard
vinegar
teriyaki sauce
Butter Buds or Molly McButter
non-stick cooking spray
Brown Sugar Twin
stolbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stolbac
Formu-3 Level 4

Here is the plan from Formu-3 Level 4

Choose 4 Daily
1 C puffed or shredded wheat, puffed rice, puffed cord (Kix) cereal or Formu-Fast oatmeal
3/4 C unsweetened dry cereal or grits
1 slice high fiber, low-calorie wheat bread ( 40 calories or less per slice)
2 C air popped popcorn
1 small potato
2 graham cracher squares ( two 2.5 inch squares)
3 Tbsp flour (unbleached)
1/2 C rice
1/2 C pasta (measurement after cooking)
1 rice cake
1/2 slice whole wheat pita bread

Choose 2 Daily
1/2 grapefruit
1/4 cantaloupe
3/4 C strawberries
3/4 C blueberries
1/2 C cranberries
1/2 C blackberries
1/2 C raspberries
1/2 C pineapple
1 small peach
1 small apple
1 kiwi fruit
3/4 C watermelon
4 oz. tomato sauce
6 oz. low sodium V8 juice
6 oz. tomato juice

Choose 2 Daily
1/2 C skim milk
1/2 C low-fat buttermilk

Once Weekly
1/2 C low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 C ricotta cheese
1 oz. low-fat cheese
1 oz. farmers cheese
1 oz. light cream cheese
1 oz. mozzarella cheese

Choose 1 Daily
2 egg whites
1/4 C egg beaters
4 oz. seafood
4 oz. turkey
4 oz. chicken
4 oz. turkey ham
4 oz veal
2 oz canadian bacon
2 strips thin sliced bacon (towel blot)
or may substitute 1 time per week the following:
4 oz. lean lamb
4 oz. lean ham
4 oz. lean pork
4 oz. lean beef
2 eggs

Choose 1 twice weekly (optional)
12 oz. light beer
4 oz. dry white wine
2 oz. cooking sherry
1/2 C orange juice (light when available)
1/2 C grapefruit juice (light when available)
1/2 C cranberry juice (light when available)
1/2 C grapes (light when available)

Level 4 Daily Unlimited Vegetables include
sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, bamboo shoots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chicory, chinese cabbage, collard greens, cucumber, eggplant, endive, escarole, green beans, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, peppers, pimento, pumpkin, radishes, rhubarb, rutabaga, sauerkraut (rinsed), snow pea pods, spinach, squash, swiss chard, tomatoes, turnips, water chestnuts, watercress, wax beans

You are allowed 4 Formu-Fast food products per day from the following:
hot cocoa, chocolate/vanilla/strawberry puddings, lemon/orange/grape/grapefruit drinks, cherry/strawberry-banana/raspberry gelatin, cream of chicken/mushroom/tomato soup, oatmeal, honey peanut bar, chocolate supreme bar

Mix or Match up to 4 Tbsp. Daily
cool whip
unflavored low-fat yogurt
low-calorie salad dressing (16 calories or less per tablesoon)
low-calorie mayonaise
low-fat sour cream
skim evaporated milk
half & half
diet margerine

Level 4 Extras included
1 Tbsp Miller's Bran
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 Tbsp corn, olive, safflower oil
1 lemon or lime
dry spices
fresh or dry herbs