Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessworth
Stats: 262/256/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 03/05/2014
All Organic

I was wondering if anyone else is eating all organic? I try as hard as I can to only eat organic. I feel like we (my family) do a pretty good job. It does cost more, especially eating low carb, but I don't want to eat GMOs or a bunch of chemicals! I also find that because I am having to make everything from scratch, cooking and meal prep takes longer.
jessworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jleighs
Stats: 175/147/140?
WOE: Atkins
I don't eat ALL organic, but I do as much as I can afford. I went in on a grass-fed cow from an Organic Valley farmer so that I could have good beef for awhile, but I can't afford to do that all the time. I don't want GMO's and chemicals either.
Jleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/199.6/135 (19-Apr)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Yes, I shop almost exclusively at my local food co-op and I try to get organic wherever possible (some exceptions are items that are not on the dirty list when there is a big price difference). I definitely get less quantity for my money, but I hope higher quality.

jessworth - Not sure where you get your meat, but based on your profile, you do live within a cheap shipping distance from 8 o'clock ranch which has very good prices on grass-fed meat, especially the lower cuts, like ground beef and sausage. I've bought almost exclusively from them for over 3 years. I usually combine with my neighbor to get one large order so the averaged shipping per pound is quite low. It's nice to know the exact source of the meat.

Some things to save money - but might take time:

I also put in 8 dwarf sized fruit trees of which 4 bear fruit and I expect 6-7 next year (we have a very small yard)

This summer - we'll start a decent size veggie garden and I hope to freeze for the upcoming winter.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I try to eat organic as much as possible. I will buy clean 15 items if much cheaper, but for example, Trader Joes had organic avocados for 10 cents more...so I bought organic. I buy some frozen veggies sometimes that aren't organic...sometimes, there just isn't an option.

I also buy organic, grass fed meats and cheeses. Some aren't s grass fed - you really have to watch packaging. It can be very frustrating. It can be expensive, but I try to order from topline foods when I can, or find things at Trader Joes and make it stretch with lots of veggies. It is still cheaper than eating out when I think about it. For example, I bought chicken yesterday to make coq au vin for the week. I paid about $25 for 2 bone in breasts, 4 legs, and 6 boneless, skinless thighs. I also used two boneless, skinless breasts I had at home ($6). The wine was $4.99 and I used have the bottle. Veggies were maybe another $5 at the most. So, let's say $40 for 4 days of meals for 2 people. That's still only $5/persion/meal. Really not bad and I know that I'm eating good things.

Lastly, I have a garden that supplies me with some things. We just gone done with having broccoli for about 5 weeks. I need to pull the brussels next. We had a good crop of carrots this year and I'm hoping for a small bumper crop (Before it gets too hot). I just pulled some leeks (for vichyssoise) and will have tons of onions. Hoping for the butter lettuce, rashishes, spinach, kale, strawberries, and peas to hurry up before it gets too hot. I will have a bunch of tomatoes and peppers over the summer. We also have some fruit trees, but they are young and we don't get much - I think I got 4 edible mandarins and 4 meyer lemons. One day we will have avocados, plums, apples, limes, and normal oranges too!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/199.6/135 (19-Apr)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
Lastly, I have a garden that supplies me with some things. We just gone done with having broccoli for about 5 weeks. I need to pull the brussels next. We had a good crop of carrots this year and I'm hoping for a small bumper crop (Before it gets too hot). I just pulled some leeks (for vichyssoise) and will have tons of onions. Hoping for the butter lettuce, rashishes, spinach, kale, strawberries, and peas to hurry up before it gets too hot. I will have a bunch of tomatoes and peppers over the summer. We also have some fruit trees, but they are young and we don't get much - I think I got 4 edible mandarins and 4 meyer lemons. One day we will have avocados, plums, apples, limes, and normal oranges too!
Local and organic - way to go!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessworth
Stats: 262/256/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 03/05/2014
We have a garden for veggies too! I have a couple co-ops and farm-to-table stores around me that I buy meat from. I buy lots of imported cheeses, because Europe has banned GMOs and doesn't add hormones to it's cows and goats. I live in a more rural community, which is lucky, because there are a lot of options for organic local produce and meat. There is a goat farm not 1/2 a mile from my house and she makes fresh cheeses. Super yummy! We are getting chickens and a goat next year. We are hoping to move next year as well and expand our garden to an actual small farm to produce food for ourselves and maybe sell some produce as well. Maybe not sell, so much as share with people.

@sbarr - We were just looking at buying some fruit trees yesterdays, but we decided against it as we are planning on moving next year, but definitely within two years.
jessworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/218/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
I am just starting to explore the rest of these forums...

We do organic too

We get our produce from a local farm (they deliver it to us, which is awesome) and then go with organic and grassfed/or natural diet fed meats.

I think food quality is important.
EricaHV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jpeaceokc
Stats: 245/240/180-ish
WOE: Carbohydrate restriction
Start Date: February 2013
Local and organic in Okie City

I get all my household's meats from the Oklahoma Food Cooperative. We have a garden and also shop at the farmers market. Everything I buy may not be certified organic, but the non-certified items I get from farmers who grow organically but don't do the certification schtick. I put up produce for the winter, but I always run out. Towards the end of the winter, I figured out one little trick which I will try more next year -- growing fresh sweet potato greens. I love to eat sweet potato leaves, I cook them like any swiss chard or collards. I put some sweet potatoes into jars with water, initially just for some additional interior foliage, but as they grew lush vines, I realized -- "hey we can eat these" so I started picking them and cooking them. "Fresh greens for December 2015!" I'm thinking. I have a nice sunspace with south facing windows so that's my plan for the 2015-2016 winter.

When I buy organic veggies, I typically get them from a regionally owned natural grocer which only sells organic veggies.

Yes it costs more. I cut my budget in other areas. With my health risks, I can't afford to not pay more because however expensive local pastured meats and organic foods are, illness and poor health is Much More Expensive. The first thing I did a few years ago as I started evolving my diet was to dump my expensive phone $100/month for a cheaper tracfone which costs me $25/month. I also habitually drive older cars, I've only bought one new car in my life. I cut up all my credit cards and paid off my debts in advance of their due dates (still working on a student loan, memo to students: don't borrow money to attend a private school, lol, go to the state schools!). Interest payments add up fast.
jpeaceokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
I do all organic veggies and fruit, grass-fed, hormone free, antibiotic free meats and organic cheeses. It costs a little more than non-organic and it's hard to find them on sale but it's so worth it, in my opinion. I can TASTE the difference, especially in things like berries. It took me a while to get used to the flavor of grass-fed beef and free-range chicken but now I won't eat anything else. Aged grass-fed beef is extremely expensive, so I don't eat nearly as much beef as I used to. I don't like the flavor of beef not aged, unless it's ground beef.
I moved from the city to the suburbs and now have a yard. I'm composting my own organic waste and starting an organic garden. I'm removing all the soil that was there previously and replacing it with organic soil and plan to start heirloom seeds.
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote