Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Organic and Natural Eating (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/)
-   -   All Organic (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/826051-all-organic.html)

jessworth 03-17-2014 06:27 AM

All Organic

I was wondering if anyone else is eating all organic? I try as hard as I can to only eat organic. I feel like we (my family) do a pretty good job. It does cost more, especially eating low carb, but I don't want to eat GMOs or a bunch of chemicals! I also find that because I am having to make everything from scratch, cooking and meal prep takes longer.

Jleighs 03-17-2014 06:56 AM

I don't eat ALL organic, but I do as much as I can afford. I went in on a grass-fed cow from an Organic Valley farmer so that I could have good beef for awhile, but I can't afford to do that all the time. I don't want GMO's and chemicals either.

sbarr 03-17-2014 08:36 AM

Yes, I shop almost exclusively at my local food co-op and I try to get organic wherever possible (some exceptions are items that are not on the dirty list when there is a big price difference). I definitely get less quantity for my money, but I hope higher quality.

jessworth - Not sure where you get your meat, but based on your profile, you do live within a cheap shipping distance from 8 o'clock ranch which has very good prices on grass-fed meat, especially the lower cuts, like ground beef and sausage. I've bought almost exclusively from them for over 3 years. I usually combine with my neighbor to get one large order so the averaged shipping per pound is quite low. It's nice to know the exact source of the meat.

Some things to save money - but might take time:

I also put in 8 dwarf sized fruit trees of which 4 bear fruit and I expect 6-7 next year (we have a very small yard)

This summer - we'll start a decent size veggie garden and I hope to freeze for the upcoming winter.

DD80 03-18-2014 08:30 AM

I try to eat organic as much as possible. I will buy clean 15 items if much cheaper, but for example, Trader Joes had organic avocados for 10 cents more...so I bought organic. I buy some frozen veggies sometimes that aren't organic...sometimes, there just isn't an option.

I also buy organic, grass fed meats and cheeses. Some aren't s grass fed - you really have to watch packaging. It can be very frustrating. It can be expensive, but I try to order from topline foods when I can, or find things at Trader Joes and make it stretch with lots of veggies. It is still cheaper than eating out when I think about it. For example, I bought chicken yesterday to make coq au vin for the week. I paid about $25 for 2 bone in breasts, 4 legs, and 6 boneless, skinless thighs. I also used two boneless, skinless breasts I had at home ($6). The wine was $4.99 and I used have the bottle. Veggies were maybe another $5 at the most. So, let's say $40 for 4 days of meals for 2 people. That's still only $5/persion/meal. Really not bad and I know that I'm eating good things.

Lastly, I have a garden that supplies me with some things. We just gone done with having broccoli for about 5 weeks. I need to pull the brussels next. We had a good crop of carrots this year and I'm hoping for a small bumper crop (Before it gets too hot). I just pulled some leeks (for vichyssoise) and will have tons of onions. Hoping for the butter lettuce, rashishes, spinach, kale, strawberries, and peas to hurry up before it gets too hot. I will have a bunch of tomatoes and peppers over the summer. We also have some fruit trees, but they are young and we don't get much - I think I got 4 edible mandarins and 4 meyer lemons. One day we will have avocados, plums, apples, limes, and normal oranges too!

sbarr 03-18-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD80 (Post 16841080)
Lastly, I have a garden that supplies me with some things. We just gone done with having broccoli for about 5 weeks. I need to pull the brussels next. We had a good crop of carrots this year and I'm hoping for a small bumper crop (Before it gets too hot). I just pulled some leeks (for vichyssoise) and will have tons of onions. Hoping for the butter lettuce, rashishes, spinach, kale, strawberries, and peas to hurry up before it gets too hot. I will have a bunch of tomatoes and peppers over the summer. We also have some fruit trees, but they are young and we don't get much - I think I got 4 edible mandarins and 4 meyer lemons. One day we will have avocados, plums, apples, limes, and normal oranges too!

Local and organic - way to go! :jumpjoy:

jessworth 03-18-2014 09:50 AM

We have a garden for veggies too! I have a couple co-ops and farm-to-table stores around me that I buy meat from. I buy lots of imported cheeses, because Europe has banned GMOs and doesn't add hormones to it's cows and goats. I live in a more rural community, which is lucky, because there are a lot of options for organic local produce and meat. There is a goat farm not 1/2 a mile from my house and she makes fresh cheeses. Super yummy! We are getting chickens and a goat next year. We are hoping to move next year as well and expand our garden to an actual small farm to produce food for ourselves and maybe sell some produce as well. Maybe not sell, so much as share with people.

@sbarr - We were just looking at buying some fruit trees yesterdays, but we decided against it as we are planning on moving next year, but definitely within two years.

EricaHV 04-04-2014 01:44 PM

I am just starting to explore the rest of these forums...

We do organic too :)

We get our produce from a local farm (they deliver it to us, which is awesome) and then go with organic and grassfed/or natural diet fed meats.

I think food quality is important.

jpeaceokc 04-05-2014 05:56 AM

Local and organic in Okie City

I get all my household's meats from the Oklahoma Food Cooperative. We have a garden and also shop at the farmers market. Everything I buy may not be certified organic, but the non-certified items I get from farmers who grow organically but don't do the certification schtick. I put up produce for the winter, but I always run out. Towards the end of the winter, I figured out one little trick which I will try more next year -- growing fresh sweet potato greens. I love to eat sweet potato leaves, I cook them like any swiss chard or collards. I put some sweet potatoes into jars with water, initially just for some additional interior foliage, but as they grew lush vines, I realized -- "hey we can eat these" so I started picking them and cooking them. "Fresh greens for December 2015!" I'm thinking. I have a nice sunspace with south facing windows so that's my plan for the 2015-2016 winter.

When I buy organic veggies, I typically get them from a regionally owned natural grocer which only sells organic veggies.

Yes it costs more. I cut my budget in other areas. With my health risks, I can't afford to not pay more because however expensive local pastured meats and organic foods are, illness and poor health is Much More Expensive. The first thing I did a few years ago as I started evolving my diet was to dump my expensive phone $100/month for a cheaper tracfone which costs me $25/month. I also habitually drive older cars, I've only bought one new car in my life. I cut up all my credit cards and paid off my debts in advance of their due dates (still working on a student loan, memo to students: don't borrow money to attend a private school, lol, go to the state schools!). Interest payments add up fast.

cmcd1070 04-07-2014 01:17 PM

I do all organic veggies and fruit, grass-fed, hormone free, antibiotic free meats and organic cheeses. It costs a little more than non-organic and it's hard to find them on sale but it's so worth it, in my opinion. I can TASTE the difference, especially in things like berries. It took me a while to get used to the flavor of grass-fed beef and free-range chicken but now I won't eat anything else. Aged grass-fed beef is extremely expensive, so I don't eat nearly as much beef as I used to. I don't like the flavor of beef not aged, unless it's ground beef.
I moved from the city to the suburbs and now have a yard. I'm composting my own organic waste and starting an organic garden. I'm removing all the soil that was there previously and replacing it with organic soil and plan to start heirloom seeds.

raini 06-19-2014 11:35 PM

I thought my poor hubby was going to have a stroke when he saw the price of the organic butter I bought today. I've bought it before, but not when he was looking!

We eat out an average of once a week, sometimes less. We live on a small island with just one restaurant, and the food there isn't worth buying. So one day a week (or less) when we go off-island for groceries and/or doctors' appointments, we eat out and it usually is not organic.

But all our veggies are organic, except jicama, which we have never found in organic. Our garden is all organic and non-GMO, and we've started buying organic beef from Trader Joe's and organic chicken from Costco. I was proud of dh when he saw the $27 price tag on two whole chickens and didn't pass out. We are eating less meat, but enjoying it more.

JaneMarie 06-24-2014 10:34 AM

I do organic as much as possible but do go out here and there, so can't do it then. It is more expensive, but I'm finding that I save money on this diet since I'm not buying as much food!

Meme 06-30-2014 04:24 PM

Sprouts has Organic bunch of Broccoli for $2.99ea. today.

ZoeCat 07-08-2014 01:58 PM

Yeah we try to eat all organic as much as possible. Plenty of fish, grass-fed lamb, dairy, eggs etc. I'm very aware of most things that I put in my mouth lately. What I think is the most scary about non-organic foods is hormones. It's no surprise that young girls are starting their periods so early when they get xenoestrogens stuffed in them from the moment of conception.

ValentineNicole 07-14-2014 07:51 AM

I am all organic, and I must say, it makes me feel at least 3-4 times better throughout the day. I also notice that with high quality organic foods, I'm truly satisfied on lower carbs. There is no sacrifice feeling, which I used to get when I ate more processed low carb food (mostly lunchmeats or salamis). This is the first time I've gone back to a truly low carb diet since becoming 100% organic, and it's really been an awesome experience.

sherlocklabs 07-16-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValentineNicole (Post 16973046)
I am all organic, and I must say, it makes me feel at least 3-4 times better throughout the day. I also notice that with high quality organic foods, I'm truly satisfied on lower carbs. There is no sacrifice feeling, which I used to get when I ate more processed low carb food (mostly lunchmeats or salamis). This is the first time I've gone back to a truly low carb diet since becoming 100% organic, and it's really been an awesome experience.

Hello All!
I'm with you ValentineNicole....I feed my family organic...or locally grown "grown as organic"....whenever possible. We have our own layer hens for eggs, and are raising our own Pasture chickens....for chicken in the upcoming months. I've LC'd in the past with the processed foods and treats....and though some enjoy those foods...thats fine....its just not for me and my family. I am feeling satisfied with smaller amounts of the clean foods we eat. I do not crave sugar any more....and when I want something a little sweeter (eg: egg cream)...I add a couple of drops of stevia. No more upset stomach with the artificial sweeteners that are used in all of the processed products. I truly feel....for the first time (I've LC'd a few times before....and have done WW a couple of times)....that I can do this WOE...for the rest of my life.
Shoot....I'm transitioning my DH and DS over to a healthier lifestyle....less sugar and gluten items (not cutting them out....just way back).
I agree Valentine.....it has been an AWESOME experience so far! :up:

pocahontas 07-19-2014 06:46 AM

We eat about 80% organic, the rest local all natural. :D

Debbie 08-08-2014 02:55 PM

Not so much organic but natural as much as possible. By that I mean as unprocessed as possible. Have been slowly getting more and more grass feed meat. Hubby does most of the cooking. So I have to go more by what he will do.

LowCarbLisa 08-22-2014 10:08 AM

I am with you guys! I'm about 90% Organic at this point, shopping almost entirely at Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Thank goodness these stores carry their own brands, they really save me a lot of money compared to organic foods sold elsewhere. However, I don't eat any red meats, so that really cuts down food expenses a lot....I also avoid their prepared and prepackaged foods and fix all my meals from scratch. I've been doing this for many years now, and I wouldn't have it any other way! ;)

RedRidge 08-25-2014 05:10 AM

We are a self sufficiency farm and raise all our own veggies, meat (beef, lamb, poultry, dairy, rabbits), and fruit, etc.
We raise and feed all non-gmo.
Always looking for new recipe combinations. It seems easy to get into a plain meat and veggie rut with some fruit thrown in every once in a while. I'm currently trying to use no store bought items and spice things up a bit - I want to add more flavor and variety.
All advice welcome.

LowCarbLisa 09-07-2014 11:04 AM

RedRidge, that sounds awesome! Where is your farm located?
I depend on herbs and spices to liven up the protein+veggie combination.
They really elevate the flavors of food.
Right now I'm loving shallots, tarragon and a little vinegar...
Another go-to combination is garlic, ginger and cayenne.
You can also try using fruit in mixed green salads, strawberry and watermelon work nicely, grapes are nice in a chicken salad.
Of course nothing says summer like ripe tomato, fresh basil leaves and red onion drizzled in a little extra virgin olive oil.
Keep experimenting - have fun!

sherlocklabs 09-09-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRidge (Post 17017060)
We are a self sufficiency farm and raise all our own veggies, meat (beef, lamb, poultry, dairy, rabbits), and fruit, etc.
We raise and feed all non-gmo.
Always looking for new recipe combinations. It seems easy to get into a plain meat and veggie rut with some fruit thrown in every once in a while. I'm currently trying to use no store bought items and spice things up a bit - I want to add more flavor and variety.
All advice welcome.

:hiya: Hi RedRidge! Look into a cookbook called "The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook" Healthy Cooking and Good Living with Pasture-Raised foods
By Shannon Hayes
I really like this cookbook. I've only had it a short time...bit the recipes I've tried, have been delish! I particularly like the rubs that she has...great on everything!
We raise our own chickens (layers and meat)....thinking about adding rabbit or lamb next year. The beef and pork...we get from a local farm nearby.
There are also a LOT of really delicious Paleo recipes out there...most are low carb. I made a Paleo chili made with Grassfed burger and beef tips that was enjoyed by my family.
I hope this helps....:)

LowCarbLisa 09-12-2014 08:31 AM

I'm not completely vegetarian, since I do eat yogurt, eggs and fish (salmon and sardines), but perhaps that is why I am able to eat organic about 90% of the time (or more)...

but for some things like eggs, you also have to look out for the label that states "Certified Humane", otherwise the chickens can still be kept in unpleasant conditions, and simply fed organic grain to earn the OAI certification.