Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Organic and Natural Eating (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/)
-   -   Making Cheese (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/824452-making-cheese.html)

ELL 02-26-2014 12:01 AM

Making Cheese

Has anyone tried making cheese ? I have seen a few vids on it. One with rennet and one with vinegar.

I have been thinking about trying it out.

Avicenna 02-27-2014 03:15 AM

I just made some the other day. It was quite simple. I heated up about a quart/litre of milk to just-beginning-to-bubble phase, added 1/3 cup of lemon juice, then took it off the heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes. After that I poured it through a cheesecloth and let it drain for about 2 hours, mixed it and added some salt, and put it in the refrigerator and let it sit some more. I would say it came out pretty good.

Charski 02-28-2014 12:44 PM

I've made it too - a couple batches with cow's milk and a couple batches with goat's milk. They all came out nice!

The last one I did with citric acid instead of vinegar or lemon juice - I liked it better. The finished cheese needs a bit of salt added to it, plus I also like to add garlic and onion powders and a bit of crushed dried thyme.

I made paneer one time also, which is just the fresh cheese, pressed into a block shape, then cut into squares - I made a spinach sauce for it - finished dish is called "saag paneer" and it's really good stuff!

ELL 02-28-2014 10:23 PM

So you can use lemon juice as well. I guess there is no need for the rennet then. What did you guys do with the whey?

Charski 03-01-2014 12:33 PM

I poured my whey on the rose bushes! :D I did dilute it a little further first though.

jessworth 03-17-2014 06:24 AM

I make my own cheese. I actually took a cheese making class. It's really good and not too complicated. My next adventure is going to be making cheddar.

glidergirl 04-08-2014 09:41 PM

Wow, this is cool! I didn't realize it was that easy!
Thank you for the info.

MerryKate 04-16-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16820220)
I poured my whey on the rose bushes! :D I did dilute it a little further first though.

What does whey do for roses? I'm always interested in new things I can do for my babies.

Dottie 04-17-2014 04:31 AM

I've made mozzarella before, it's super easy and you can get kits off amazon if you're not sure of the ingredients.
I haven't tried anything harder than that though.

glidergirl 04-17-2014 02:50 PM

Whey on roses: Many people who make cheese at home wonder what to do with whey, a byproduct of the process. Some choose to pour it down the drain, while others use it in bread making, but it also makes a good plant fertilizer. Whey is acidic, with a pH between 4.0 and 6.1, so it is a good amendment for soils that are too alkaline. Whey provides phosphorus and potassium, and contains simple organic compounds, making it easy for plants to take in. Use whey to fertilize houseplants as well as for fertilizing larger outdoor vegetable gardens, trees and shrubs.

jem51 05-06-2014 07:15 PM

When I was getting raw milk I made buttermilk, SC, butter, yogurt and cheese.
Frankhauser's cheese page is very informative and includes troubleshooting.

WatchMeMove 06-21-2014 10:20 AM

I started making cheese and yogurt about 10 yo from the Fankhauser page and my family won't eat anything else. I also make my own butter cultured and uncultured. Now I use a lot of the recipes from Ricki the 'Cheese Queen' page.
__________________________________________________ _______

NEVER trade what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.
Said to me when I was at one of my lowest emotional points.
Remembered by me when I chose to do something about it. :)