Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larissima
Stats: Waist: 110/100/75cm, 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 21 Jan 2014
Yogurt or Kefir?

I make yogurt at home fairly regularly, out of full-fat organic UHT milk and either a couple of tablespoons shop-bought Greek yogurt, or the content of a probiotic capsule. The 1-litre yogurt maker is a lot like a small plastic slow cooker with just the on-off switch. I use it for 24 hours, then move the pot to the fridge where it usually lasts us about a week. It is thick and creamy, and we eat it both as a meal in itself (with added flaxseed, nuts, fruit or whatever) and added to cooking.

Now, I have never tried kefir, so my question is: how different is it from yogurt? Is it more liquid than creamy? Can you use it cooking? Could you make it in a yogurt maker?

I have read a lot about the health benefits of kefir as a fermented food, especially for the gut, but are they really stronger than HM yogurt?

Ultimately, should I replace yogurt with kefir, or maybe alternate weeks, or not bother at all?

All advice, opinion and experiences welcomed!
Larissima is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Kefir is not really a substitute for yogurt. Kefir is more liquid and is more like buttermilk. You shouldn't use an incubator for it since kefir grain processes milk at room temperature, not at elevated temps like yogurt culture.

My mother uses kefir to make her sourdough bread.

I would not try to compare kefir and yogurt as far as what is stronger because we have no standard basis to compare, they are different cultures and affect people differently.

There is no reason you couldn't use both. Kefir processes very quickly, overnight, and can make a very milk milk drink, you can process it longer and make a buttermilk type beverage, I process my kefir till it separates and pour off the whey and use the cream for berry shakes. I would not eat kefir with a spoon like I would yogurt and I wouldn't "cook" with kefir the way I do with yogurt ( mostly dessert pies, yogurt is thicker can be drained super thick, ie. greek)

Kefir makes me feel good, literally soon after drinking, I consider it a fermented drink like kombucha.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larissima
Stats: Waist: 110/100/75cm, 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 21 Jan 2014
Thank you so much for clarifying the difference. So, kefir is really a probiotic drink, rather than food. I'm tempted to try, but I'm afraid of adding a lot of carbs to my current regime. I suppose the longer you ferment it, the fewer carbs will be left in the final product.

How much would you drink per day to feel the benefit? A tall glass, a small cup, several shots throughout the day...?
Larissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Well, I made a blueberry kefir shake for my BF with really long fermented kefir, and he drank like 4 oz and felt drunk, the bad kind of drunk he says. Then he never drank it again, so I say start out small and only do 1 or 2 day ferment and not several week ferments like I do.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Kefir has more probiotic strains than yogurt, and no special equipment is needed. You can ferment it a little longer if you want to be certain the milk sugars are consumed by the bacteria and yeast. I would think it wouldn't be any car ire than yogurt made with the same milk, although I'm not certain it would work with UHT.

Kefir takes attention every day or two (depending on how warm or cold your kitchen is)--you have to strain off the kefir and feed the grains fresh milk. It takes about 5 minutes, tops. I use a two jar system (one for storing finished kefir in the fridge) and one for fermenting. I swap out for clean jars only every week. If you have good, healthy grains it's very vigorous and hardy.

You can experiment to see if you like it. My husband drinks a glass every night. He recently took over the kefiring and he's building up a larger amount to try using it for spelt sourdough.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote