Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Who's fermenting what?

So with all the enthusiasm for fermented drinks such as Kefir and Kombucha, I thought I'd ask and see if people are fermenting other foods...

I am thinking about making my own lacto fermented saurkraut and maybe experiment with making some pickled bell peppers: we're having a bumper crop this year, and I can't eat them all!

... Maybe I can pickle some tomatoes as well!

I've bought some traditional pickling crocks here in Germany, hopefully I'll get the hang of it all!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I just do kombucha and kefir and I drink homemade bone broth every day. I have 'leaky gut' syndrome, which means I have all kinds of allergies because I took a lot of antibiotics when my bronchitis was really bad. It's getting better, but it takes a long time.

The lady that I buy my bones from says one of her friend's daughter had her medical chart changed to show that she was not autistic. Or no longer autistic. Before that, she had symptoms. Not anymore. But she does her own lacto fermented veggies, sour cream, etc. She made everything by scratch.

I just take a couple of probiotics and eat kim chee along with the above.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stella_g
Stats: 380(day I gave birth)/367 (non preg hw)/325cw/190
WOE: Atkins-- whole foods, minimal AS
Start Date: 5/14/2013
I have some purple ginger kraut fermenting now. Put those sweet crocks to use!! (I am majorly envious..)
The kraut I do follows Katz's basic recipe using purple cabbage. Calls for between 1/2 and 3/4 T sea salt per pound and then I add a whole mess of grated fresh ginger. It's the best!
Stella_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I just started doing my own kombucha. I also have sauerkraut, beets, gingered carrots, and red cabbage fermenting, and, of course, yogurt! I think my next experiment will be brining some beef.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

It all sounds delicious!

I've currently got Kombucha, Kefir and Yogurt going, and this weekend I may brave it and start my first saurkraut!!! The supply I was getting at my local organic supermarket has stopped for now, and the only stuff I can get is pasteurised, which removes most of the goodness. All the more reason to start some myself!

Sirtain, let me know how it goes with the beef, am very interested to hear about it!

I also have the Katz book, once I get the hang of things with my saurkraut, I'll have to look for more recipes in the book.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Old 08-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I have some kefir in the back of the fridge. Must dig it out. And I’ve made sauerkraut in the past — one of many things that was abandoned while I had no energy.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Terez, our old friend L-glutamine which fights carb cravings is suposed to be good for leaky gut also.

L-glutamine & A Leaky Gut | LIVESTRONG.COM
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I started fermenting with the recipes from 'Nourishing Traditions'. There aren't LOTS, but it a good start, and they explain the science of it in a very approachable way.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I like Nourishing Traditions too... This got me onto the whole thing of eating more live foods and really taking care of what and how I eat. I love that book! Some great recipes in there.

I love the baba ganoush recipe too! It is absolutely delicious! (nothing to do with fermented foods, so I'm jacking my own thread, LOL)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Terez, our old friend L-glutamine which fights carb cravings is suposed to be good for leaky gut also.

L-glutamine & A Leaky Gut | LIVESTRONG.COM
Whoa! THANK YOU!!!! I'll get some today!

I also have the Nourishing Traditions cookbook and I love it. I'm still a little squeamish about some of the organ meat recipes, although, if it's not toxic, I'd like to make pate out of chicken or duck livers.

The NT book doesn't say anything about liver being toxic, I wonder if it's just a current myth?

They talk about duck fat, and, I'm guessing that it's rendered duck fat that people use, although some of the wine and cheese places around here sell it raw. Heck, buying a whole duck and rendering it out might even be cheaper.

Oop! Thread jack.

Although I have eaten yogurt and homemade yogurt with no improvement in symptoms. I did feel better after drinking kefir.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Teazel
I've just finished up fermenting my second batch of garlic dill pickles and tomato salsa. I'm hoping to do one more batch of pickles this year (if I can still find pickling cucumbers). Still plan on doing a daikon kimchee and a sauerkraut.

I love Nourishing Traditions, but their fermenting times are too short (especially for sauerkraut which I let ferment for at least a month if not longer). Wild Fermentation (Sandor Katz) is a good book for fermentation as is his newer book "The Art of Fermentation"
Teazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It’s not quite fermenting, but does anybody make cottage cheese? We have some raw milk delivered once a week, but we’re not quite managing to use it all. I was wondering about having a go at making cottage cheese with the excess.

I did try a few years back, and I remember it being a bit fiddly, but I think I was being terribly purist and refusing to use rennet or acid to make it curdle properly. With just yoghurt culture, it took forever keeping it at just the right temperature, turning the gas off and on. If I’m doing it regularly I need it to be a bit less bother.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Ailuros, I've not made cottage cheese yet, but do get back here to let us know how it went!

I made some lovely creamy yoghurt the other day using turkish yoghurt as a starter and raw milk and some organic cream to increase the creaminess. Turned out absolutely lovely!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SheriF
Stats: 216/174/130
WOE: Atkins/Weston Price/Organic/Gluten Free
Start Date: June 2011
I've been making farmers cheese with raw milk. It's SO easy. 1 gallon raw milk, heat to 190 degrees stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn. Mix in 1/2 cup vinegar and let it curdle for a few minutes. The liquid (whey) needs to be yellow or you haven't heated it enough. Then I strain it through cheese cloth. That's farmer cheese or a ricotta/cottage type cheese. I've been making a herb cheese with mine. Once I strain it (cheese cloth in a metal colandar) I mix in chives and basil and minced garlic, then I mix in 1 tablespoon celtic salt. tie up the cheesecloth so you have a round and squeeze out any more whey. Then I take it out of the cheesecloth and carefully unwrap it, and put it into a container in the fridge. Once it cools you can slice it and it's great. :-)
SheriF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

That sounds so easy and delicious, I will definitely try this once I get my hands on some raw milk again! Thanks for the instructions, SheriF!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, SheriF! How much cheese do you get from that?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Hi Everyone!

I stopped using a fridge last summer - a little over a year now, so have been really delving into the world of fermented foods, which is very exciting, I must say!

I've always made kimchi (Korean cabbage/daikon), so I have some daikon kimchi. but in the last couple months have expanded to sauerkraut, pickled ginger, pickled beets, green bean and carrot pickles (fermented - no vinegar), and my newest as of yesterday... miso.

I love how easy this is all turning out to be. I do have one question though in regards to my sauerkraut, if you don't mind....

I use a simple jar to make it, and in doing so, place the jar in a bowl to catch the overflow from the initial fermenting process. However, in the process, although my sauerkraut turns out very lovely and it takes me about a month to eat it all, there is no juice left after the initial few days of rupture. Should I pour it back in???

Thanks!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 193 hours (6/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Ive got a question about fermented beans: Some recipes (and one book I have) says green beans need to be cooked before fermenting, but then some (not all) recipes I have seen don't have a step of cooking the beans first. It seems to me that boiling the beans would kill any good bacteria on the beans, but the recipe doesn't call for any whey or other starter, either. Can anybody tell me whether or not the beans need to be cooked first, or better yet, suggest a recipe for dilly beans?
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosemary~
Stats: 244/113
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: February 2011
I'm not sure this is exactly "fermenting". I'd like to try adding some whey (poured off sour cream) to my homemade mayonnaise to extend it's "shelf life", in the refrigerator of course. In all the instructions I've read about doing this it says to mix the whey into the mayo and then let it sit on the counter for about 7 hours before refrigerating it. Right now, the first week in September, it's 95 degrees in my kitchen. Would it be safe to let it sit out for 7 hours in that heat?

Last edited by Rosemary~; 09-08-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Rosemary~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rosemary, there are Facebook pages that deal in cultured food, I would go there before doing something like that blind.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Alas, I don't do Facebook, but I'll try googling cultured food. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

I'm glad to hear someone's had success with doing this. I live alone and don't use the mayo fast enough. Once I mastered how to make it I got enthusiastic and made about 3 cups. I can't fix that now, maybe make salad dressing, but the shelf life would be the same. Actually I think one of my closets might be a lot cooler. Could you guess at an approx. temp?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary~ View Post
Alas, I don't do Facebook, but I'll try googling cultured food. Thanks.

Thank you! I don't want to read about you, if you know what I mean. It's like eating the mushrooms that you find along the road. Take care!
Old 09-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary~ View Post
I'm glad to hear someone's had success with doing this. I live alone and don't use the mayo fast enough. Once I mastered how to make it I got enthusiastic and made about 3 cups. I can't fix that now, maybe make salad dressing, but the shelf life would be the same. Actually I think one of my closets might be a lot cooler. Could you guess at an approx. temp?
Set a thermometer in the closet I mentioned. The temp only dropped to 87 overnight. That still seems high to me. Best bet is to make smaller batches until it gets cooler and then I can try fermenting some.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
I tried my first ferments last week. I tried kimchi and sauerkraut. The kimchi came out much better than the kraut. I'm not sure what happened there. It tasted too salty. Maybe it wasn't fermented long enough or maybe too much salt. I'm going to try again when I get an air lock. I have 3 other kimchis going and they are already going well.

I also tried pickled squash. Not fermenting but it did taste good. I may try a ferment salsa. I want to try coconut kefir next or yogurt.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

For the record, you do NOT have to cook green beans before fermenting them. I have three quarts of beans that I just moved into the fridge, and none of them were cooked. I tasted a bean a couple of days ago and found it really tough, but today they were less tough and nicely sour. So one week on the counter seems to be the fermenting time (at least at these temperatures). I may try a jar of cooked beans just in the interest of science, bur will need more beans. On to making kraut!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Hi Everyone!

I stopped using a fridge last summer - a little over a year now, so have been really delving into the world of fermented foods, which is very exciting, I must say!

I've always made kimchi (Korean cabbage/daikon), so I have some daikon kimchi. but in the last couple months have expanded to sauerkraut, pickled ginger, pickled beets, green bean and carrot pickles (fermented - no vinegar), and my newest as of yesterday... miso.

I love how easy this is all turning out to be. I do have one question though in regards to my sauerkraut, if you don't mind....

I use a simple jar to make it, and in doing so, place the jar in a bowl to catch the overflow from the initial fermenting process. However, in the process, although my sauerkraut turns out very lovely and it takes me about a month to eat it all, there is no juice left after the initial few days of rupture. Should I pour it back in???

Thanks!
Your post inspired me to go to Whole Foods and buy some raw sauerkraut, kimchi and salsa verde and other blends. The proposition was too expensive, so I got the book Wild Fermentation By Sandor Ellix Katz which will be arriving Wednesday with color by number instructions and recipes.

I have all kinds of glass containers so it should be a snap. Oh, WHY didn't I think of this before?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jpeaceokc
Stats: 245/227/180-ish
WOE: Carbohydrate restriction
Start Date: February 2013
Fermented asparagus

I am enjoying fermented asparagus these days. I got ten pounds of organic asparagus in early spring from a local farmer and fermented it using brine and whey. I threw in quite a bit of crushed red pepper, as we like everything spicy. I tried them after about a month, but I didn't really like them. I left them in the fridge through the summer and at the first of September, opened a jar and they were DYNAMITE tasty. hot, spicy, zing in my mouth. Still crisp. I am about to do five pounds of carrots I got from the Oklahoma food Cooperative.

I do my fermenting in half gallon and quart mason jars. I have some glass disks that fit just inside the lids, that I inherited from my grandmother, and while I am not sure of their original purpose, I bet it was to weight down fermenting vegetables under the brine. I also have some made out of clay that were made for me by a local potter.
jpeaceokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jpeaceokc, your asparagus sounds wonderful. Perhaps next spring I'll try some. And I envy you your glass and ceramic veggie weights - I wish I had some. I struggle with water filled baggies and rocks and popsicle sticks. I've got kraut going right now, and hot peppers, though I just sort of winged it with the peppers - what I've read since making them is to grind the peppers with salt and they will producer their own liquid. I added brine when making mine, so it may end up a weak sauce. Perhaps I'll pick up more hot peppers at the farmers market for a proper batch.