Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
What can I eat for breakfast besides eggs or meat?

Hi all: I am truly a carb addict since I cannot seem to go but a few days and then I am on to a carb binge. The thing that sets me off I think is I start my breakfast day with cereal..no sugar cereal. I am not a big meat eater and I cannot do eggs in the morning. I really try. I made eggs today with some spinach and feta and I could not bring myself to eat the eggs. If anyone has any suggestions for breakfast ideas..even recipes I would be so happy and grateful. Thank you all!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
RQP
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RQP
Stats: 178/173.9/130 (5'5")
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1 August 2013 (but LC-ing since 2002)
Hi Sarahati... My DH and I often eat dinner leftovers for breakfast, protein and veggies... there is no rule that says you have to have eggs for breakfast - in fact, we tend to do eggs later in the day (deviled eggs for lunch, or egg salad (on Romaine lettuce leaves). Also, my DH also regularly has a one-minute muffin for breakfast:

1-minute Muffin

In a tea cup,

Melt 1 or 2 tsp of butter or coconut oil (microwave for 5-10 seconds*)
Mix in 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal (and/or mix with almond meal, or protein powder) - We use Bob's Red Mill Organic ground flaxseed meal
1/4 tsp of baking powder (NOT soda!)
1 egg
Sweetener to taste (i.e., 1 packet of organic stevia or 1 TBS of SF syrup)
Microwave on high for 1 minute*
Turn out and let cool

The muffin may look kind of wet at first, but it dries quickly as it cools.
Eat warm with butter or wrap cooled muffin in plastic to eat later.

*cooking time may vary depending on your microwave, avoid overcooking

He adds cinnamon often to give it a little more flavor... and once you are off induction you can add chopped nuts (pecans are great!) or a few fresh blueberries...

Good Luck! Rachel

Last edited by RQP; 08-03-2013 at 01:08 PM..
RQP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you RQP! I cannot wait to try that!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

RQP....I made this for my breakfast this morning....so good...this is low carb huh? Hard to believe. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I go totally salads when nothing else sounds good.

My favorite is a major herb mix + pepperoni slices + grape olives + onion + raw nuts + ranch + shredded Parmesan cheese. It is amazing.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Smoothies..I have one every day...even on induction you can do this. Use unsweetned almond milk, some protein powder (I have a 1 gr. carb vanilla that I love), throw some milled chia seeds, some stevia, unsweetned cocoa powder, some chopped ice. VIOLA...excellent healthy breakfast and the chia seeds will keep you full until lunchtime!
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
What about a small slice of one of our low carb cheese cakes and lobster ?

I have cooked a pizza and just ate the toppings.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shawneegyrl
Stats: 201/188/160
WOE: Carb Addict Heart Healthy
Start Date: Sept 2013
Hi there, I am new here and starting on a low carb plan for heart and insulin control. I have been working to go as simple, organic and natural as possible. I have some laying hens for eggs and raise quail for some of my meat.

I read labels more and more and if it has more than 1 or 2 ingredients - I question it.

I also have square foot gardens for veggies and a herb garden. I was sooo excited to find a stevia plant. I made myself some oatmeal and took only about 1/2 leaf and chopped it up to sweeten the oatmeal. It tasted just right and I was happy for a little while.

A little while later I was cramping so bad. It was like having a baby by way of my intestines! It lasted several hours. I know it was the stevia because I had eaten some of my brother's fudge a few years ago that was made with a sugar substitute. An another time I ate some diabetic cookies at work. Had the same experience

Now I use raw sugar sparingly or just fruit to sweeten my oatmeal.

Anyone else had such an experience as that?
Shawneegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shawneegyrl
Stats: 201/188/160
WOE: Carb Addict Heart Healthy
Start Date: Sept 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post

I have cooked a pizza and just ate the toppings.
I have done that many times. ^
Shawneegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Lots of things, what about a salmon pattie or lobster.
Now this sounds crazy but some of our low carb cheese cakes may have enough protein for your breakfast. Heck I have even had low carb chli for breakfast.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
What about lox and cream cheese? Or roast beef rolled around a Swiss cheese slice?
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fun w son
Stats: 283/269/200
WOE: not sure?
Start Date: July 13, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawneegyrl View Post
I have done that many times. ^
x2!
fun w son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
Hi all: I am truly a carb addict since I cannot seem to go but a few days and then I am on to a carb binge. The thing that sets me off I think is I start my breakfast day with cereal..no sugar cereal.
Oy! Is it made with grain, or what? That freaks me out, "sugar free" and all. I'd be miserable trying to give up smoking while having one cigarette every morning. Take away the trigger and it will help a lot.

Or do you mean cinnamon pork crunch? Or a hot fiber oatmeal type cereal?

Last edited by skinni; 09-13-2013 at 12:08 PM..
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
I make a flax seed pancake on occasion:

1 egg
2 T sour cream
1 T MCT oil (approx quantity, or other oil, or none...doesn't matter)
3 T ground flax seed

Stir those all together really well.

Add into a pan ~ 2 t of Coconut Oil or Butter (your preference) and add the pancake batter.

when it's done I top it with artificial sweetner. My blend is 1/2 splenda, 1/2 erythritol.

I think it's quite yummy and a lovely break from eggs.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinni View Post
Oy! Is it made with grain, or what? That freaks me out, "sugar free" and all. I'd be miserable trying to give up smoking while having one cigarette every morning. Take away the trigger and it will help a lot.

Or do you mean cinnamon pork crunch? Or a hot fiber oatmeal type cereal?
-
Skinni..yes it is made of wheat I presume- Fiber One cereal- Good analogy about the smoking...ha ha! So true! I cannot do the dinner foods for breakfast...I have to eat at 5:30 am and it is just too early for that stuff... I have been doing the one minute muffins which are great with some pancake syrup. Although I just found out the sugar free pancake syrup I was using had 8 carbs in it! The ground flax has carbs too so I am thinking that may be too many carbs for the morning. I just ordered netrition divinccini sugar free pancake syrup so I hope that helps. Thank you all for the suggestions!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LadyBlueberry
Stats: restart 2/13/14 323.6
WOE: No grains, sugar
Start Date: 4/10-11/10 361 to 281
I make lemon ricotta pancakes/waffles that are less than 6 net g carb. Add a handful of blueberries on it and that's breakfast. I make some ahead of time, store in freezer and warm up in toaster if I'm in a hurry.
LadyBlueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaycey
Stats: 203/188/148
WOE: The 'Jaycey' Diet!
Start Date: 1 September 2013
Buttered toast! OK, not really - but a good low carb flaxbread should toast really well, and you can put anything on it you like (LC of course!).

As for not fancying eggs & bacon first thing in the morning, I know how that feels - I now have a 'brunch' at around 11am, which normally takes me through till about 6pm, with no hunger pangs - then I have my LC dinner. (I then don't need anything else that day, other than the odd LC snack.) My brunch normally consists of two rashers of bacon, two eggs, and two pieces of my favourite flaxbread*, all fried in coconut oil and sprinkled with Worcestershire Sauce (my own personal fave, lol). Sometimes I change it around with mushrooms etc., but that's the basic one.

* http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...very-good.html
Jaycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
I also am not a savory breakfast person. And I HATE eggs.

I do a handful of sweet buttered nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans), and the LC cheesecake is GREAT for breakfast.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I'm not diabetic but I am carb sensitive. I tried Fiber One cereal (suggested serving of 1/2 cup with 1/2 cup 1% milk) and it spiked my blood sugar. I know the milk added to the carbs, but I think the Fiber One is the main culprit. Lots of good suggestions here, thank you all.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
If you want a hot cereal, DJ Foodie has a chia seed "Fauxtmeal" recipe on his site Low Carb Recipes, Information, Tips, Tricks and More that is really good and will fill you up. Otherwise you could also try some Cream cheese and Lox in a low carb wrap of some kind... with some red onion and sprouts... oh my, I'm getting hungry.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Coffee, really good quality coffee, with sweetener of your choice if you like to have it sweet...and either heavy whipping cream, or butter ( unsalted) or coconut oil. This keeps me going till lunchtime!
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
Coffee, really good quality coffee, with sweetener of your choice if you like to have it sweet...and either heavy whipping cream, or butter ( unsalted) or coconut oil. This keeps me going till lunchtime!
Really..and you eat nothing...just the coffee? Right now I am eating 2 eggs with cheese and two veggie sausages. The vegggie sausage has 3 carbs each but I guess that little amount (which would total 6 carbs) would be OK. I still cannot get away from the cravings. I can go for 4 days low carb and then go on a carb binge...still have these cravings and cannot figure out what is wrong with me. Frustrated in ATL !
Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Really..and you eat nothing...just the coffee? Right now I am eating 2 eggs with cheese and two veggie sausages. The vegggie sausage has 3 carbs each but I guess that little amount (which would total 6 carbs) would be OK. I still cannot get away from the cravings. I can go for 4 days low carb and then go on a carb binge...still have these cravings and cannot figure out what is wrong with me. Frustrated in ATL !
Have you tried L-Glutamine for the cravings? You can get it at your local health food store and it's not that expensive. I bought it for my leaky gut symptoms, but I find I have no cravings at all, whereas I used to struggle a lot with them.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Yes...I just bought some L-Glutamine..is this something you take daily? How often? How much? Do you take before meals?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes...I just bought some L-Glutamine..is this something you take daily? How often? How much? Do you take before meals?
I use the Solaray brand, 500 mg, and take it every night before going to bed. I think I took it for about a week before I started noticing how easy it was to stay low carb.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Quote:
Yep. Good quality stove top percolated black coffee, 2t Norbu sweetner and 2 desert spoons of HWC that's it! I drink it between 9-10am ( I'm a late starter lol, we homeschool!) and generally eat 130pm-2pm. I honestly don't get hungry before then. It gives me energy to do all I do. I know many athletes ( like the types to do tough mudder exercise) who can do a full workout on just a fat black or BPC. I should also add, I'm like 8w into low carb, the first month I are food for breakfast, snacked loads...but then as time has gone on, my protein has settled at a lower level, my carbs have dropped naturally low, and my fat makes up about 70% or there abouts. I don't measure or really think about it, I have just gravitated to this.

Hypnotherapy CDs dealt with all my cravings too. Best thing I ever did! They helped me to identify why I was wanting carbs, sometimes on a body level, some times an emotional level.....
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Oz157
Stats: 215/207/150
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: August 2007
I am having trouble with eggs too. I work the night shift so dinner items do well for me. I choose to have some carbs. What has been working is chicken or ham salad. Still better than the way I use to eat.
Oz157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Yep I agree Oz...I do like chicken salad...I use a lot of celery in it and some sliced almonds and Dukes mayonnaise...sometimes I put in a few dried cranberries...I can't be perfect but like you said...way better than I used to eat!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Have you ever tried an egg cream shake? There are many different variations. Here's my favorite:
1 cup unsweetened coconut/almond milk
2tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2-4 tbsp heavy cream(depends on how many calories I need that day)
Liquid stevia to taste
2 raw eggs
Sometimes-1/2 avocado or full fat Fage yogurt
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
I've been making quiches/casseroles lately. Although the recipes I use do call for eggs, when you divide it into slices I doubt you even get 1carb from eggs per slice. There are LOTS of quiche and casserole recipes out there as I am sure you already know. And as with all recipes, you can tweak it to suit your needs and tastebuds. My personal tweak is using fewer eggs than some recipes ask for. Cheers!
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote