Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Have you found Chia Seeds help with your ailments? In what ways?

I am reading up on how Chia seeds help the body and just did a search through all the threads we currently have on LCF regarding them. Mostly it looks like recipes or how to ingest them but what I want to know is how have they helped you? What differences have you seen that you attribute to the Chia seeds?

I've been taking them for almost a week so far. I put 1 T. of the seeds in about 8 oz of water, then stir and let sit for 15 minutes or more. Then I stir them again and drink them down. I think it's kind of fun. They remind me of frogs eggs. YKWIM? Gelatinous and round.

Anyway, I'd love to hear how you feel they have improved your health.

I have come to the decision that there is no such thing as a destination.

My Journal.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/161/130
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
they help me poo lol
its always another way to get in extra omega 3's which is a plus in my book
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Big Yapper!

Well, that's a start! Thanks, QueenBacon. I have joint problems and elevated liver enzymes and back pain and I'm looking for some serious, measurable effects as a result of taking these Chia's. I just bought two more bags off Netrition so I want to hear some success stories.

WTG on your regularity. Never underestimate regularity, especially when on a LC WOE.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
they're just a lot of fiber. can't imagine any particular benefit besides the benefits of fiber. I think people like them because they have carby characteristics without being carby. enjoy them!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Big Yapper!

(Article I found, which prompted me to start this thread.)

You have probably heard how important it is to get enough essentials fatty acids (EFAs) in your diet. Some good food sources containing omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids include fish, shellfish, flax seeds, leafy green vegetables and walnuts. Unfortunately, it is not always easy to obtain enough of these fatty acids on a daily basis. Recently, an ancient seed has regained popularity due to its high nutritional value.

You may know Chia as the sprouts that grow on the porous clay figurines called Chia Pets, however there is much more to it than that! Chia has both nutritional and medicinal benefits. The seeds are an excellent source of essential fatty acids and are a great addition to a healthy diet.

My introduction to Chia seeds came a few weeks ago when a friend brought me some Chia seed chocolate pudding form the local health food store. It had the texture of tapioca and was quite delicious. The pamphlet touted the many health benefits and curious, I was insired to look further into this interesting seed.

Chia is a member of the mint family. The seeds are either white or black and both types are highly nutritious. Originally grown in Mexico and the Southwest between 1500 and 910 B.C., Chia seeds were an important part of the Aztec and Mayan diet. Aztec warriors used Chia as their main source of fuel during conquests. Medicinally, they also used it to relieve joint pain and stimulate saliva. Although once a major crop in Mexico, it was banned after the Spanish conquest due to its association with Aztec religion where it was used as an offering during religious ceremonies and ritual. Commercial production is increasing and you can now find Chia seeds online as well as in many health food stores.

Chia (Salvia hispanica) - 10 Health Benefits of This Superfood

Supports Heart Health
Chia seeds can help reduce blood pressure. The seeds contain one of the highest known plant sources of essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6). EFAs cannot be synthesized by our bodies however, it is very important that we get enough to support our immune, cardiovascular, nervous and reproductive systems. EFA deficiency is quite common in North America.

Stabilizes Blood Sugar
Chia seeds slow down the rate at which complex carbohydrates are digested and then assimilated into the body. The soluble fiber helps to stabilize blood glucose levels resulting in steady, sustained energy. In one study on diabetic patients, Dr. Vladamir Vuksan of St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto, found that blood was thinner and less prone to clotting and blood pressure of participants dropped significantly, after three months of taking Chia seeds daily.

Energizing
The word “Chia” comes from the Mayan language and means strength. Chia seeds are a balanced blend of protein, carbohydrates, fats and fiber. It is said that 1 tablespoon of Chia can sustain a person for 24 hours. Athletes have reported that Chia seeds help them perform at optimal levels for much longer periods of time.

Anti-Inflammatory Properties
A number of arthritis sufferers have reported reduced pain and inflammation after a few weeks of taking Chia seeds. The high concentration of omega-3 helps to lubricate joints and keep them supple. Additionally, Omega-3s are converted into prostaglandins which are known to have both pain relieving and anti-inflammatory effects.

Weight Loss
The essential fatty acids contained in Chia seeds helps to boost metabolism and promote lean muscle mass. The seeds are sometimes added to food to provide bulk and nutrients while adding very few calories. For these reasons, many people have found Chia quite useful in weight loss and weight maintenance.

Detoxification and Elimination
Similar to psyllium, the swelling action of Chia in the body helps to cleanse and soothe the colon, and absorb toxins while lubricating and strengthening peristaltic action.

High Quality Protein
Chia seeds contain about 20% protein, a higher percentage than found in many other grains such as wheat and rice. Chia seeds contain strontium which helps to assimilate protein and produce high energy.

Antioxidants
Chia seeds are an excellent source of antioxidants containing even more antioxidants than fresh blueberries. The high amounts of antioxidants in Chia seeds also keeps the oils from going rancid - contributing to a long shelf life.

Provides Fiber and Other Nutrients
Besides EFAs, Chia seeds also provide fiber, iron, calcium, niacin, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus.
2 tablespoons of Chia = 7 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein, 205 milligrams of calcium, 5 grams omega-3

Brain Power
EFAs are known to make cell membranes more flexible and efficient making nutrients more readily available and nerve transmission more efficient. This helps to improve brain function (including memory and concentration).

(End of Article.)

In addition to these things, I once was watching a program on health and it stated that chia seeds help to detoxify the liver. It makes a gel in the gut and it is one of the only things that can grab onto the toxins that the liver is trying to get rid of and out of the body for good. I see that even Dr Oz had a segment on chia's on one of his shows.

Lastly, a LCF of mine said that chia's are also excellent for helping the thyroid. I can't find anything on the web to back that up but I'd like to find out more.

Last edited by CherylB; 07-07-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
I put milled chia seeds in my keifer smoothie I make for breakfast everyday. I put 3 tablesppons in with dehydrated kale, some frozen blueberries and some stevia. It fills me up beautifully! I eat my smoothie with a spoon Chia is really a superfood! You can loose wieght just by doing the chia seed smoothies. There is a whole book written on chia seed diet. It does have to be milled tho or it goes right thru without being digested. I can't say that there would be one particular benefit of it. I do it cuz' I know it is a positive addition to my overall health.
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Big Yapper!

I read that it doesn't need to be milled, as opposed to flax seed. You might be milling for nothing.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Big Yapper!

I am finding that my fingernails are really strong now! I've never had strong nails. They've always started to split along the sides or they'd just snap off if I grabbed a door handle or something wrong. Now they are super-strong. It's like I have someone else's!

Also, I'm noticing that my appetite is much less than it usually is. I think what they say about the chia seeds stabilizing the blood sugar and slowing down the digestion of carbs is right. In the article I posted above, it says it's great for diabetics.

So far, I'm hooked on Chia seeds! I bought two more bags from Netrition.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
I agree...Chia is a wonderful addition to my diet. I was a bit skeptical about what I read online so I bought Wayne Coates book: CHIA: The Complete Guide To The Ultimate Superfood for further study. I was so impressed by his data (although not as impressed by the recipes), I bought a bag to try. Then I bought another...and another and finally I just bought a 5 lb. bag.

For me the difference in how I feel is amazing:
-Joints hurt less
-Losing a LOT less hair
-Energy level is definitely higher
-Digestion has improved
-Memory has improved
-Not as hungry during the day

I think that anyone who is seriously looking for ways to improve their overall health would be wise to try it. The stuff is simply amazing!

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Big Yapper!

Thanks for sharing, Donna! That's wonderful how it's helped you in so many ways. I'm still in my first few weeks of taking them "religiously" but I can't wait to see what other changes that will become apparent.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I usually have 1/2 cup of vanilla chia pudding in the morning. I like the chocolate, but actually prefer the vanilla since it really reminds me of tapioca.

1 1/2 C. milk of choice (or just sub Carolyn's milk)
1/2 C. heavy cream
1/2 C. chia seeds
1/8+ tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. No-Carbs Blend Stevia
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (no corn syrup)

Mix it up, let it sit and enjoy in the morning. It keeps me full until noon...I swear!

Last edited by RVcook; 07-11-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Big Yapper!

Thanks for posting that recipe. No idea what Carolyn's milk is, though. I'm happy with just putting a tablespoon of the seeds into about 8 oz of either water or diet Gatorade or something of that nature, waiting 15-30 minutes, then stir up and drink down. Works for me!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Thanks for posting that recipe. No idea what Carolyn's milk is, though...
It's a sub for regular milk that you can find here on the board. You make it yourself and is quite handy and less 'carby' (if you're concerned with that) than regular milk.

I like Chia Fresca also: 1 TB chia to 10 oz. homemade lemonade.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Big Yapper!

That sounds good, too. Thanks for explaining Carolyn's milk.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I don't eat them regularly (perhaps I should change that), but I do find that I always get an excellent blood sugar reading 2 hours after dinner if I had chia pudding for dessert. I usually make a chocolate one, but might try the vanilla recipe for a variation. I made a pina colada (pineapple/coconut) pudding once that tasted pretty good, but looked funny because all I had was black chia seeds... should'a used white.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: isabela_mp
Stats: 182/179/143
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 15/11/14
Hi All,

I started with the chia seeds by swalloing down on full dry spoon on the run to work. Big mistake after chewing it for 20 min hehe.

Now I usually mix on my dinner either on soups or stew to make it thicker. Or in the me mix of omelets or meat balls

I am really looking forward to try this chia seed vanilla pudding. As in the evening I have more time to deal with it

Overall great energy and concentration!
isabela_mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarahkitty
Thank you! I was wondering about Chia seeds myself. Seems like seeds are the greatest yet smallest food gift we've been given.
Sarahkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
I usually have 1/2 cup of vanilla chia pudding in the morning. I like the chocolate, but actually prefer the vanilla since it really reminds me of tapioca.

1 1/2 C. milk of choice (or just sub Carolyn's milk)
1/2 C. heavy cream
1/2 C. chia seeds
1/8+ tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. No-Carbs Blend Stevia
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (no corn syrup)

Mix it up, let it sit and enjoy in the morning. It keeps me full until noon...I swear!
Can you make this the night before and then eat in the morning?
sarahatl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
Can you make this the night before and then eat in the morning?
Yes. It makes quite a bit so you will have leftovers for the fridge.

RVcook