Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MommyKat2004
Stats: 148/148/125
WOE: Low Carb All Natural
Start Date: May 13 2013
Looking for help with low carb natural

Oh My Gooses!!!!
I really enjoy low carb eating.
I changed to all (as much as possible) natural foods. Easy Peasy except for the weight I gained. (yummmm homemade muffins,cookies etc ha ha)
Now here I am trying to go back to low carb BUT all (as much as possible) natural.
This is soooooo hard!!!!!
I am looking for pointers. I started on Monday (5/13/13) and have been starving the whole time.
When I was doing low carb only I stocked my house (and car,purse,etc) with fake candy bars,processed beef sticks and was fine with eating eggs and bacon daily. and woo hoo diet dr pepper to my hearts content.
NOW......
I am having a tough time finding anything
What do you snack and eat?
I have a husband that eats all natural and 2 lil kids that I need to feed too but not low carb.
Any pointers would be appreciated
MommyKat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
nothing more natural than eggs!

you might need to define what you mean by "natural." almost all low carb foods are natural! meats and vegetables, cheese, eggs, fats.

how about making flax meal muffins?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I eat all natural! Love it! Anything that is labelled Low Carb and prepackaged probably is very chemical. Just stick to all foods that you can get from nature, without too much refining such as meats, fish, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy, vegetables, fats like butter, olive oil, coconut oil. Add condiments such as spices, herbs and celtic sea salt and you are good to go! Look for as few ingredients as possible on the label and don't buy anything that has ingredients that you cannot imagine what they look like or ingredients that sound like they were made in a laboratory.

I don't really snack in between, I eat three meals a day and that's it.

Great foods to prepare in advance and snack on are:

Hard boiled eggs
Hard (raw milk) cheeses like cheddar, parmesan or gouda; you can cut up cubes in advance for a quick go to snack
Mini meatballs: precook and keep in fridge for up to 5 days

For something sweet: I like making fat bombs out of organic cocoa powder, coconut oil and powdered stevia leaf. Add vanilla pod for variety. (If you search these boards, you'll find lots of great recipes for fat bombs)

I am focusing on nourishing my body, so I have added some non LC items to my diet, but you can adapt it to your needs... Here's today's menu for example:

B: yogurt (if you add this to your LC regime, make sure you eat full fat greek yogurt) with bee pollen, cinnamon and raw honey (obviously not LC!) and chia seeds.
L: mixed leaf salad, radishes, tomato, cucumber, saurkraut, tuna in olive oil, 1 oz feta cheese, vinaigrette made with lemon juice, olive oil, flax seed oil and celtic sea salt.
D: Not sure yet, probably a three egg omelette with spinach and parmesan cheese. I may add some nitrate free crispy fried bacon (3oz).

Hope this helps! I post my menu regularly in the UK/Europe thread on the challenges board, should you want some more inspiration.

And eating all natural does not mean you should starve, eat till you are satisfied. Make sure you get enough fats and adequate protein too.

xxx

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jpeaceokc
Stats: 245/240/180-ish
WOE: Carbohydrate restriction
Start Date: February 2013
I agree with all that's been said and will add these thoughts.

I like greek yogurt. I am a member of a food coop that only sells food and non-food items grown or made here in Oklahoma. I buy Greek yogurt through the coop from a farm with pastured dairy cattle. It is so tasty and only 7 grams of carb in a whole cup! I typically eat a quarter cup with breakfast. Because I am still losing weight, I add a teaspoon of powdered psyllium husk (I like it mixed with Greek yogurt instead of water), and a bit of flavor like a half a teaspoon of low carb high fiber jam or a few sprinkles of Truvia or xylitol or one of Davinci's syrups.

I buy grass fed beef from local farms, and a 4 ounce portion of ground beef, fried in a skillet seems just as good to me as a steak.

I buy peanut butter that is nothing but peanuts and peanut oil and when I get a food craving, a tablespoon of that usually works. I lick it on a spoon like a lolly pop.

Google Linda's Low Carb Recipes. I have enjoyed everything I have prepared from that site. Someone mentioned flax seed muffins, they are great. Especially with peanut butter. I also like the low carb brownies recipe from the About.com low carb site.

For quick snacks, these days I am using pepitas -- roasted, lightly salted, shelled pumpkin seeds. Very low carb. Or peanuts.

Don't starve! That is not healthy! It will drive you back to unhealthy food habits that will kill you! Eat good organic foods, be healthy and happy!
jpeaceokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: orcamom
WOE: Great Taste No Pain Food Combining
I use food combining to control my weight, and also my health. It's got rid of a lot of digestive issues for me by eating this way.
orcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I don´t know what is easily available to you where you live but feeling hungry is the same whether you are living natural/organic or not. So I would suggest looking into bulletproof coffee or tea. It is a great filler upper and in the longer term reduces your food intake.There is actually a current thread in the mainlowcarb lobby.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeaceokc View Post
I agree with all that's been said and will add these thoughts.

I like greek yogurt. I am a member of a food coop that only sells food and non-food items grown or made here in Oklahoma. I buy Greek yogurt through the coop from a farm with pastured dairy cattle. It is so tasty and only 7 grams of carb in a whole cup! I typically eat a quarter cup with breakfast. Because I am still losing weight, I add a teaspoon of powdered psyllium husk (I like it mixed with Greek yogurt instead of water), and a bit of flavor like a half a teaspoon of low carb high fiber jam or a few sprinkles of Truvia or xylitol or one of Davinci's syrups.

I buy grass fed beef from local farms, and a 4 ounce portion of ground beef, fried in a skillet seems just as good to me as a steak.

I buy peanut butter that is nothing but peanuts and peanut oil and when I get a food craving, a tablespoon of that usually works. I lick it on a spoon like a lolly pop.

Google Linda's Low Carb Recipes. I have enjoyed everything I have prepared from that site. Someone mentioned flax seed muffins, they are great. Especially with peanut butter. I also like the low carb brownies recipe from the About.com low carb site.

For quick snacks, these days I am using pepitas -- roasted, lightly salted, shelled pumpkin seeds. Very low carb. Or peanuts.

Don't starve! That is not healthy! It will drive you back to unhealthy food habits that will kill you! Eat good organic foods, be healthy and happy!
Love all of your ideas!!!!
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hearthnsoul
Stats: 213/207/150
WOE: Quasi Atkins
Start Date: August 17 2009
Love this thread, it is my challenge as well. I try to eat the majority organic. I am concerned about gmos and pesticides and so on. At times it can be a challenge, like today I wanted to buy jicama, celeriac and purple top turnips, chayote fruit. None were organic. But I had to let it pass as I am not going to find it otherwise for now. I did buy a greenhouse that I plan to put up and attempt to grow some of the southern grown stuff in there and take a shot at the others in my garden.
When I grocery shop I try and stick to trader joes because they guarantee if their label is on it, there are no gmos in it. I try to do very little prepackaged anything. I did however buy sugar free jelly today, so I am not always successful. I love to put it in my chicken salad.
I have thirty chickens running around my yard, so eggs I have control over the eggs and duck eggs as well. And at times goats milk from our goats for cheese making and coffee. Meat is probably the most challenging, it's difficult to find and cost prohibitive. I do however buy applewood cheeses and lunch meat and pepperoni because they are not cured and not fed antibiotics and so on. I stick with stevia if I need something sweetened, trader joes has a nice one with no additives/ fillers.
Buy what you can organic, I myself manage to have 80% organics in the home. What you can not get organic and it is a necessity you just have to allow yourself, because it is absolutely true, if your hungry your going to eat stuff far worse than regularly grown veggies. It's not just low carbers that have this challenge, eating clean is a challenge for everyone.
So what DO I eat. Meats, fish, cheeses, veggies, my own dips, hard boiled eggs. soups, soups love those soup, chicken salad til I burst at the seems. Love me some unsweetened coconut milk from trader joes, in the most unusual places. Something sweet, jicama, and a little stevia on it if I really want sweet, baked chayote squash with cinnamon, ginger and stevia. Pepper rings, taco salads, love a grass fed burger with muenster cheese or blue cheese and lots of Perrier. I think of you focus on the ingredients you find and throw yourself into the excitement of creating with those foods it brings low carb to a whole new level. Yesterday I made a big pot of chicken and sausage soup, grass fed and organic, with zucchini and celery and coconut milk base with seasoning and I have these half gallon mason jars I fill, ready for eating. Then I made my famous chicken salad with that mayo, sugar free jam and course mustard with Persian cucumber and celery popped it in a nice container and its there when I want it. Boiled the eggs I brought in from the morning and let me tell you, my chickens put out terra cotta colored eggs, blue eggs, tinted pink, white and brown so it brings eating a hard boiled egg up a notch to something wonderful. You got to love the food your eating. It is a challenge, but you can do it! Just be inventive and search out your area. Again if you have a trader joes, shopping there can just be a joy!

Last edited by hearthnsoul; 06-12-2013 at 10:49 AM..
hearthnsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I try to buy organic produce, or local nonorganic if I know the growing practices.
I probaby manage 80 percent organic. I buy most of my meat directly from farmers, but sometimes from the local coop where I know they make wise purchasing decisions. Some veggies and fruits carry a heavier pesticide load than others, so I try to priorities those purchases . . . celery and peppers come to mind, potatoes too, although I am not eating those now. The Pesticide Action Network and the USDA organic page, have this information. The easiest way to avoid GMO is to buy organic. There is also a voluntary GMO-free label. Testing is done in Fairfield, Iowa.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2five View Post
Love this thread, it is my challenge as well. I try to eat the majority organic. I am concerned about gmos and pesticides and so on. At times it can be a challenge, like today I wanted to buy jicama, celeriac and purple top turnips, chayote fruit. None were organic. But I had to let it pass as I am not going to find it otherwise for now. I did buy a greenhouse that I plan to put up and attempt to grow some of the southern grown stuff in there and take a shot at the others in my garden.
When I grocery shop I try and stick to trader joes because they guarantee if their label is on it, there are no gmos in it. I try to do very little prepackaged anything. I did however buy sugar free jelly today, so I am not always successful. I love to put it in my chicken salad.
I have thirty chickens running around my yard, so eggs I have control over the eggs and duck eggs as well. And at times goats milk from our goats for cheese making and coffee. Meat is probably the most challenging, it's difficult to find and cost prohibitive. I do however buy applewood cheeses and lunch meat and pepperoni because they are not cured and not fed antibiotics and so on. I stick with stevia if I need something sweetened, trader joes has a nice one with no additives/ fillers.
Buy what you can organic, I myself manage to have 80% organics in the home. What you can not get organic and it is a necessity you just have to allow yourself, because it is absolutely true, if your hungry your going to eat stuff far worse than regularly grown veggies. It's not just low carbers that have this challenge, eating clean is a challenge for everyone.
So what DO I eat. Meats, fish, cheeses, veggies, my own dips, hard boiled eggs. soups, soups love those soup, chicken salad til I burst at the seems. Love me some unsweetened coconut milk from trader joes, in the most unusual places. Something sweet, jicama, and a little stevia on it if I really want sweet, baked chayote squash with cinnamon, ginger and stevia. Pepper rings, taco salads, love a grass fed burger with muenster cheese or blue cheese and lots of Perrier. I think of you focus on the ingredients you find and throw yourself into the excitement of creating with those foods it brings low carb to a whole new level. Yesterday I made a big pot of chicken and sausage soup, grass fed and organic, with zucchini and celery and coconut milk base with seasoning and I have these half gallon mason jars I fill, ready for eating. Then I made my famous chicken salad with that mayo, sugar free jam and course mustard with Persian cucumber and celery popped it in a nice container and its there when I want it. Boiled the eggs I brought in from the morning and let me tell you, my chickens put out terra cotta colored eggs, blue eggs, tinted pink, white and brown so it brings eating a hard boiled egg up a notch to something wonderful. You got to love the food your eating. It is a challenge, but you can do it! Just be inventive and search out your area. Again if you have a trader joes, shopping there can just be a joy!

Wow, Mom, I want to be you. I'd be happy if I could do a tenth of what you do. I'm happy anyways because I do what I can as far as organic and the rest will have to wait. I try to ferment veggies with salt and have ordered a kombucha setup to make it. Also, I'd like to make kefir.

Everybody and this site wants to lose weight. But, another reason to be here is to be healthy. Baby steps. A little loss at a time will add up. Don't stress about not losing fast, just get yourself healthy and happy and the rest will follow. OK I'm stepping down off my soapbox now.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessworth
Stats: 262/252/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 03/05/2014
My husband and I started to eat organic and non GMO whenever we can about 6 months ago. I was baking our own bread and cooking up a storm. It has not been ideal for my waistline though!
I am starting back on low carb tomorrow. I did take a cheese making class, which was so much fun!!
I'll keep posting to let you know what/how I'm doing.
jessworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I can only say how glad I am that GMO foods are not a big issue here in Europe yet. I am fervently hoping (probably incredibly naive of me) that politicians here will not allow the crops here... I guess it's all about the money...

Jessworth, cheese making sounds fun! Have you made any yet?

I am making my own ground meat now that I invested in a proper kitchen machine. I feel so much better making it myself! Also, much cheaper than the store bought stuff.

I'm growing my own herbs (basil, parsley, mint, lovage, majoram, bay, rosemary, thyme, sage, dill and in season wild garlic) and I will only buy organic vegetables or directly from farms who don't use too many pesticides. I have a farm on the way to work who sell milk products and meat from their own pastured cows. Still have to go there to check it out, but it's on my list for this week.

I drink raw milk, which I buy from my local organic supermarket. I think we're very lucky here in Germany, as there are lots of opportunities to get reasonably priced products that are not mass produced. Of course, it's a little more expensive but that is something I'm willing to pay a little extra for.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I have made cheese! It is so much fun and I know exactly what's in it! We started a garden this year as well.
Yesterday I had:

2 eggs
almonds
Chicken
beef tips
broccoli

Everything was organic.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Today I ate:

A handful of organic almonds, I buy them at Whole Foods
Leftover beef tips and broccoli
Sausage with parmesan cheese

I find that I didn't eat so much today until dinner.

I plan on doing a larger grocery shopping this weekend. Maybe I'll have more variety next week.

Tomorrow will be tricky because I have a luncheon to attend and we are going to a Chinese buffet. Wish mme luck!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessworth View Post
I have made cheese! It is so much fun and I know exactly what's in it! We started a garden this year as well.
Yesterday I had:

2 eggs
almonds
Chicken
beef tips
broccoli

Everything was organic.
Good for you!!!! I'm getting too old to do the garden, but I am trying to do new things. I researched online on fermented veggies and I learned how to do that. They say the most healthy thing you can do is ferment your foods. You get all the extra nutrition that normal food doesn't have. Or has lost.
I have done a couple of jars of veggies and look forward to more.

Another thing that I'm interested in is sprouting seeds and grains for the extra nutrients. Looking into that right now.

Have you researched youtube on kefir and kombucha. Best thing in the world. If you don't do anything else, try those.. Fabulous nutrition. And cheaper than sodas. I'm trying to get my family off all processed foods and sodas. Kombucha is only $1 gallon made at home. So easy.. I was very intimidated but the further I researched and watched youtube the better I felt. And truly I never looked back. Sorry, I feel that I need to spread the word.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I haven't looked into fermented foods at all. I will have to look into it.

We gave up soda about a year ago. In fact, that was our first step. My DH was drinking more than 2 liters of Mountain Dew a day and I was drinking a couple cans of Diet Dr. Pepper every day. At first, it was horrible. I had caffeine withdrawal and then I was drinking black tea, so I'm pretty sure I was having chemical withdrawal from all the chemicals. It took probably 3 months before I felt good. But now I think it was very worth it! I jut drink coffee, tea and water. I have switched to organic teas.