Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Kombucha - anyone using it?

I am a big believer in 'gut health' and a tea by the name of kombucha has been recommended as 'better than probiotics' in populating gut flora. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
There's a whole forum about it, I think under Organics? Anyway, it's super easy to make and so good for you. Try it.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Oh Rose, thank you. I never thought to look there!!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Hmmm, I don't see it, but it's somewhere.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Here it is. There's also a GAPS thread (Gut and Psychology Syndrome-leaky gut) there.

Kombucha
terez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Thank you... Looks like lots of good reading!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/170/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
I love Kombucha and have been drinking it for years. I don't drink more than 1/2 bottle a day now if I buy it though because I am keeping my carbs to a minimun till I lose another 15 or 20 lbs. I think it's wonderful goodness!
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I too love it but I use about 1/4 of a bottle and mix it with Perrier over tall glass of crushed ice. Yummy!
haferchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I could become seriously addicted to it, but it is expensive. Mostly a summer treat for me.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

It sounds as if there is a prepared drink ...??? I have a small bottle (250ml or 1 cup) that I bought at a health food store and it suggests mixing 4 tsp. into salad dressing, tea or something like that.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
Mmmm I love kombucha! I brewed my own for years but my culture got so big I was brewing 24 wine bottles every 2 weeks. I ended up stopping for a bit and never got back into yet since I wasnt sure how it would fit into my l/c life style.
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
The prepared kombucha tea I purchase is by Synergy. Found in the refrigerator section of my local grocery store health food section. They have several flavors and so far they are all good. It is pricey, on sale 2 for $5, but since I mix it, 1/4 bottle with sparkling water, I don't worry about it too much. And then I only drink it once in awhile since it does contain carbs.
haferchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
I could become seriously addicted to it, but it is expensive. Mostly a summer treat for me.
I make my own and it's about 12 1/2 cents per serving. I drink about 8 ounces a day. All you need to make a gallon are 6 tea bags, (I use green organic, but white tea is the best), filtered water (Britta), sugar (yes, I said sugar, I use organic) and a kombucha scoby.

You get scobies from other people, they look like creatures from the black lagoon. You can buy one commercially, but they're the later ones, from 2010, where the FDA made manufacturers change the formula. There are facebook pages where people sell or trade them. Not here.

I heat up maybe a quart and a half of water to boiling, add the sugar (one cup) and tea and let it cool down then add to a glass container, and fill the rest of the way up with cool, filtered water. No metal from here on out.

Then add scoby and let sit for about a week to ten days. The scoby should form a new scoby on top of it. After that, take the scoby out, put in a 'hotel', a non metal container with water or kombucha enough to keep it from drying out until you want to use it again. For the new kombucha to form, the temperature should be around 80 degrees farenheit. I use a heating pad or a hot water bottle in the winter.

The kombucha is now ready to drink. It should not taste sweet because the kombucha eats the sugar and the caffeine from the tea.

Most people like to do a second ferment. That's when you flavor it. So, after a week or so, I add fruit to it. The possibilities are endless at this point. The scoby is not in the kombucha at this time; it ferments without it.

This past time, I peeled 4 navel oranges and processed them and then strained them, first through a food strainer and then through a tea infuser and added the juice to the gallon container.

Then, I poured the kombucha into individual bottles and put the lids on. I use the kombucha bottles that I got at the health food store. They were expensive because they had kombucha in them. They have no metal lids and they wash up very nicely. A lot of people use the Grolsch beer bottles with the stoppers. They're fine, too.

I "burp" the bottles every day, to release excess gas. When you close the lid and prevent oxygen from getting to the kombucha, it starts becoming carbonated. You can drink the kombucha now, if you want. Some people let it ferment for months, and that's their choice.

I don't have the room, so I just finish up what I have (pink grapefruit) until it's gone and then start on the orange that I made a few days ago. When I open up the bottles that have been sitting there for a couple of weeks, there's a new, healthy scoby at the top of the bottle and it tastes strong.

The kombucha in health food stores is fine, but it's the new scoby formulation. Better to get the old formulation that you can find online.

When people use kombucha for cleaning, etc., it's the really strong kind that has a scoby sitting in it for over a month and it's turned to vinegar and the scoby is about a half inch thick.

I hope this helps. Sometimes when you go online, you find people assume you know all about it and details get lost.

Last edited by terez; 03-28-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Terez, Do you think that we still get the goodness from the store bought Kombucha? I have yet to actually try to make this. I hear it is so much better when home brewed.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Terez, Do you think that we still get the goodness from the store bought Kombucha? I have yet to actually try to make this. I hear it is so much better when home brewed.

I don't know, I'm not an expert on kombucha nutrition. I just know how to brew it. But the storebought one is the newer kind; one that's less potent, that's what I'm told.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
After avidly reading Nourishing Traditions, I am now a convert and made my first batches of both kombucha and kefir. Both are delicious! The store bought stuff isn't half as nice in taste!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Off topic, but Mimosa, I am headed back to Spain soon (Malaga) and wanted to tell you that I always think of you because of all the fabulous information you shared with me on my first trip!!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Off topic, but Mimosa, I am headed back to Spain soon (Malaga) and wanted to tell you that I always think of you because of all the fabulous information you shared with me on my first trip!!
Enjoy your trip Cathy!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Sunday, I absolutely think there is goodness to the store bought. The gingerade I get from GT's is absolutely delicious. I have made homemade kombucha and I make water kefir and I think homemade and the store bought (at least the brand I am using) is really good and full of benefits. I always get the freshest bottle I can and am sure to drink it by the date on the cap.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
After avidly reading Nourishing Traditions, I am now a convert and made my first batches of both kombucha and kefir. Both are delicious! The store bought stuff isn't half as nice in taste!
That's great! Welcome aboard!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

I am also doing a second ferment for half my kombucha batch, using acerola powder and organic cranberry juice... Will report back once it's finished and I've had a taste!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am also doing a second ferment for half my kombucha batch, using acerola powder and organic cranberry juice... Will report back once it's finished and I've had a taste!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Wanted to pop in and rave about my other second ferment: Elderberry/Acerola Powder and Kombucha..... It is delicious!!!! Drinking some now.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wanted to pop in and rave about my other second ferment: Elderberry/Acerola Powder and Kombucha..... It is delicious!!!! Drinking some now.
That's great! I have elderberries that grow in the back yard. It's about time to put them to some good use. Right now I'm finishing up a blueberry/dark cherry/cinnamon brew.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
That's great! I have elderberries that grow in the back yard. It's about time to put them to some good use. Right now I'm finishing up a blueberry/dark cherry/cinnamon brew.
Sounds delicious!!!

I'm going to try some with pomegranate and some with acerola cherry and some with mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)... Going to have to get back to you on those once I get round to doing them all! I still have about 1.5 quarts of both the cranberry/acerola and the elderberry/acerola to finish. Next brew is on, but won't finish until about the 9th.

I should look into a continuous brewer once I return from my 2 week holiday in June!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sounds delicious!!!

I'm going to try some with pomegranate and some with acerola cherry and some with mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)... Going to have to get back to you on those once I get round to doing them all! I still have about 1.5 quarts of both the cranberry/acerola and the elderberry/acerola to finish. Next brew is on, but won't finish until about the 9th.

I should look into a continuous brewer once I return from my 2 week holiday in June!
Remember, a continuous brewer will have sweeter kombucha because you're always adding sugar and fruit to it. If you're not doing low carb, though, it shouldn't matter.

I hope your trip is a blast!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Terez, or anyone with Kombucha making experience, I have a question:

Is it ok if the SCOBY does not float on top? I just made a new batch of Kombucha to ferment, and my SCOBY is floating near the bottom of the jar! I put it in gently, but it decided this time it wanted to SCUBA!

Thanks for answering my question!

xx Mim
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I have a question about healthy gut bacteria in general. I wonder if the chlorine in
tap water could be killing off a lot of our friendly bacteria ? Has anyone read any thing about this?
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mim, there's nothing wrong with a scoby that doesn't float. The only thing you have to worry about is if there is any green growth on or around the scoby. It's mold and you have to throw it all out and start over, including with a new scoby. They get yeasty, though, with a brown/gray film that you can sometimes wash off. But it's no problem.

E.W. I don't know about the chlorine killing off friendly bacteria, but when I make kombucha, or bone broth, or anything home brew, the directions say to use filtered water, to get rid of the chlorine.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Terez, thanks for the quick answer! I checked and now the SCOBY is vertically floating somewhere midway in my brew. There's a new one starting on top already! I thankfully don't have green stuff on my SCOBY, some brownish greyish threads hanging off it, but that's yeast so ok!