Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cassie
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: January 2013
So what is the best sugar substitute for baking?

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to low carb eating, my hubby and I have been eating low carb for about 6 weeks now and aside from cooking like crazy, its really good. I can't say that I've lost weight, although I've been told I have, but I feel a lot looser in my joints and its easier to move, if that makes sense!

Anyhow, I was reading another post about Splenda causing various health problems for some people.

The only time my hubby and I have any type of sugar substitute is when I bake something to have with our late night cuppa before bed each night. I've found lots of terrific recipes, but after reading these reports about Splenda, I'm a bit worried now (especially since I made a batch of snickerdoodles, which were really yum, but not only do they contain sugar substitute, they are coated in it as well!)

Plus there is the concern about the health problems that can be caused by them.

So what is the healthiest and safest sugar substitute to cook with?

PS: If I'm asking this question in the wrong forum, please let me know. I am only a newbie.

Last edited by Cassie; 03-12-2013 at 03:56 AM..
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012

There's a good thread about sweeteners just below in this same forum:

Natural Sweetener

I find different sweeteners are good for different things. Erythritol + stevia (e.g., Truvia) is great for a lot of uses if you are looking for something fairly natural.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
A lot of people (myself included) like SWERVE for baking. It is an erythritol based sweetener (like Truvia), and I find it has no aftertaste.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Mistizoom, there are a few good ones there I'll have to try.

Its hard because I'm in Australia and many low carb products aren't available here, as far as I know. I'll have to do some investigating!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Thanks Mistizoom, there are a few good ones there I'll have to try.

Its hard because I'm in Australia and many low carb products aren't available here, as far as I know. I'll have to do some investigating!
If you can get erythritol plus pure stevia (no fillers) it is very easy to make the blend yourself. Let us know what you can find and I am sure we will be happy to help.

Personally, I think organic eating is great but I do use plenty of sucarlose myself (liquid, not powdered which has fillers). I lose weight and have not noticed any negative side effects. I would say if sucralose if easy for you to find and you don't have a "moral objection" to artificial sweeteners to try and see how it goes for you.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I did find one that is a combination of stevia and erythritol.

When you say "fillers", do you mean artificial chemicals, alcohols or glycerin?
This one doesn't have those, so I guess that's a good sign.

@Jakelilydad: I did search for Swerve, but its not available here in Aus, as far as I can see.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

For fillers I mean bulking agents like malodextrin, at least in powdered sweeteners. Stevia, sucralose, etc. have such a high amount of sweetening power and the volume you need is so low compared to sugar, that they add extra "stuff' to make it so you can pour it in your tea and see that you are actually adding something.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I recommend the Steviva brand of erythritol/stevia blend. I don't like what has been done to the stevia extract used in Truvia. I bought a container to try tried it but didn't care for it myself. I much prefer Steviva plus a 1lb bag is 8.99 from Netrition, a better bargain I think.

Cargill created Truvia by refining a specific glycoside (Reb A or rebaudioside) using undisclosed chemicals in an "special purification process" to create a patented compound named Rebiana which is not a component found in the stevia plant nor is it found anywhere in nature. (excerpt from "The Science if Skinny").
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the information all.

I think I'll try this erythritol/stevia blend. I might email them and ask if it does have any fillers though. Its not exactly cheap and I wouldn't want to pay all that cash for something that's not very pure.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the information all.

I think I'll try this erythritol/stevia blend. I might email them and ask if it does have any fillers though. Its not exactly cheap and I wouldn't want to pay all that cash for something that's not very pure.
Go to their website too. They are very descriptive about their product.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Abdul1993
Stats: 165/150/150
WOE: 25-30 grams of carbs a day
Start Date: 1/24/12
I use Sweetleaf. I don't know if I'm wrong, but I read that erythritol has some negatives. Sweetleaf has only 2 ingredients, inulin fiber, which seems to help absorb calcium, and USDA organic stevia. It doesn't mix as well as splenda, but if you stir enough, it does. each packet is as sweet as 2 teaspoons of sugar
Abdul1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've done a lot of research on erythritol and I think it is one of the safest sugar alcohols available. I do recommend making sure it is not made form GMO corn and probably the best kind is the one made from birch.

I just recently read that it is an excellent hydroxyl radical scavenger. It has even been called the "sweet antioxidant".
Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I like a mix of erythritol and xylitol. For me, combining the two is perfect. I get the sweet without the cooling effect of the erythritol.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/180's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Atkins->JUDDD->Leptin reset & Diet Cure
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
If you are moderate carb not strict low carb you might try coconut sugar which is said to have a low glycemic index and is, in addition, quite tasty. (You could also try mixing it with artificial sweeteners or stevia)
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/134/135, 52 yo
WOE: LCHF Primal
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
I did find one that is a combination of stevia and erythritol.
Great! That mixture is what I use for all my sweetener needs. If you have a blender or food processor, you can turn it into a powder, which works better for a lot of recipes.

No fillers means no maltodextrin, which seems to be the most common bulking agent in the US. Here in Sweden, they don't use it. Here, stevia/erythritol mixes can be found in every little grocery, and huge supermarkets carry powdered erythritol.

Before erythritol became common, I used xylitol. But I have dogs, so I hate having it in the house (it's very toxic for dogs). And it does cause more stomach upsets, plus it has more effective carbs and calories. Erythritol doesn't have those issues. What's bad about it is simple: it doesn't teach you to let go of cravings for a sweet flavor. Oh well.

Last edited by tiva; 03-19-2013 at 03:47 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
If you can get erythritol plus pure stevia (no fillers) it is very easy to make the blend yourself. Let us know what you can find and I am sure we will be happy to help.
Would LOVE to know a great blending "recipe" for these two ingredients!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
bump
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post

I've never blended my own but I can highly recommend the Steviva brand of erythritol/stevia blend. I used to order it direct from the maker but now Netrition carries it at an even better price. I bought one of the containers of Truvia to try and I did not like it and recently tossed it out, I think it also contained maltodextrin.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Truvia does not have maltodextrin.

I love Truvia, and was going to try the Steviva....how is the taste different?
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Truvia does not have maltodextrin.

I love Truvia, and was going to try the Steviva....how is the taste different?
You're right, it doesn't have maltodextrin. The reason I tossed it is because the erythritol is made from GMO corn and the stevia has been refined down to a single compound called Rebiana which is not found in nature. Also the term "natural flavors" can mean hidden MSG and since this is a product manufacted by Cargill, a processed food manufacturer, I don't trust it.

As for taste I liked the Steviva much better and it is certified GMO-free.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Quote:
Hi Cassie, im also in australia....and i can recommend the AUS equivilent to truvia in the USA, which is natvia - its perfectly balanced, however does give a slight cooling effect, but if you also purchase pure stevia online (natural) then you can add a little more - not to much as it may be bitter. I make a mix by using LC foods 12 x concentrate sweetener made with han gua monk fruit, stevia, and polydextrose fibers. i mix it in with xylitol and natvia for the PERFECT sweetener
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
You also may want to look at Just Like Sugar. It is has some calories and can cause gas
but it does have a lot going for it. It is mostly the probiotic Inulin Fos which encouraged
healthy gut bacteria and may reduce hunger. Some people also see a little reduction in
there triglecrides and blood pressure. I have been using it 2 weeks and have noted my blood pressure is down a few points and I am not as hungry. But I did have a lot of gas
at first.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote