Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Oscar Mayer "Natural" Hot Dogs Sneak in Trans Fat!!!!!!!

I always read ingredients on food labels. A.L.W.A.Y.S. But a few weeks ago I forgot to also look at the nutrition label and unwittingly ended up consuming trans fats in these hot dogs, which claim to be natural:

On a tracker site it says that it has 1g trans fat. But where in the world is it coming from? None of the ingredients look like trans fats. I'm used to seeing "partially hydrogenated oil" or something that gives it away, but I feel duped and fooled by this one.

Maybe you guys can identify the deceitful ingredient that is hiding the trans fat. Here's the ingredients list:

Beef, Water, Cultured Corn Sugar, Contains Less than 2% of Salt, Corn Syrup, Cultured Celery Juice, Vinegar, Sodium Phosphates, Cherry Powder, Lemon Juice Solids, Flavor, Extractives of Paprika

Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Trans fat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trans fats occur naturally in some foods as well.
"A type of trans fat occurs naturally in the milk and body fat of ruminants (such as cattle and sheep) at a level of 2–5% of total fat.[40] Natural trans fats, which include conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and vaccenic acid, originate in the rumen of these animals. CLA has two double bonds, one in the cis configuration and one in trans, which makes it simultaneously a cis- and a trans-fatty acid."
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
CLA is a naturally occurring Transfat that we WANT in our diets.

Ha, Dottie Beat me to it!
There is more CLA in grass fed Cow's meat and milk than in grain fed cows.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
On a different note, in case you want to know, Applegate Farms has a natural, organic hotdog from 100% grass-fed cows. We like them!
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I only eat Applegate Farms hotdogs. They are the best!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Trans fat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trans fats occur naturally in some foods as well.
"A type of trans fat occurs naturally in the milk and body fat of ruminants (such as cattle and sheep) at a level of 2–5% of total fat.[40] Natural trans fats, which include conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and vaccenic acid, originate in the rumen of these animals. CLA has two double bonds, one in the cis configuration and one in trans, which makes it simultaneously a cis- and a trans-fatty acid."
I did not know that. I clicked the wiki page and read some more about it, and it turns out that the naturally-occurring trans fats found in cows is chemically different from the trans fats found in partially hydrogenated oils such as crisco. The way in which the hydrogen atoms are bonded and arranged in natural trans fats is different than the way in which the atoms are arranged and bonded in partially hydrogenated oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
CLA is a naturally occurring Transfat that we WANT in our diets.

Ha, Dottie Beat me to it!
There is more CLA in grass fed Cow's meat and milk than in grain fed cows.
Yep, it looks like naturally occurring trans fats help keep cholesterol levels balanced. But how can we tell whether or not the 1g trans fat is a naturally occurring trans fat or whether it is a partially hydrogenated oil? I suspect that the food manufacturers extract some of the fat from the beef, hydrogenated it partially, then mix it back in with the beef. Maybe I'm right; maybe I'm wrong; I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcwendy View Post
On a different note, in case you want to know, Applegate Farms has a natural, organic hotdog from 100% grass-fed cows. We like them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I only eat Applegate Farms hotdogs. They are the best!
Oh my gosh, I looked up those hot dogs and they sell them at a Target store near me! Yes! I miss having access to organic hot dogs. Used to live near a Whole Foods store; now I don't. But thank goodness Target has them! Will be picking some up today

Thanks guys!

Oh and...the Applegate hot dogs have 0g trans fats.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I totally forgot about Applegate Farms hot dogs! We've eaten them occassionally in the past and I've been looking for a brand without added sugars. THey don't have any! I will have to get some soon.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
I suspect that the food manufacturers extract some of the fat from the beef, hydrogenated it partially, then mix it back in with the beef. Maybe I'm right; maybe I'm wrong; I don't know.
look at the list of ingredients. Even if a product claims to be 0% transfat free, they still must list the fat in the ingredients list and say if it is fully or partially hydrogenated. I also try to imagine the benefit of them extracting a fat just to hydrogenate and put back in.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: B.Rowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
I always read ingredients on food labels. A.L.W.A.Y.S. But a few weeks ago I forgot to also look at the nutrition label and unwittingly ended up consuming trans fats in these hot dogs, which claim to be natural:

On a tracker site it says that it has 1g trans fat. But where in the world is it coming from? None of the ingredients look like trans fats. I'm used to seeing "partially hydrogenated oil" or something that gives it away, but I feel duped and fooled by this one.

Maybe you guys can identify the deceitful ingredient that is hiding the trans fat. Here's the ingredients list:

Beef, Water, Cultured Corn Sugar, Contains Less than 2% of Salt, Corn Syrup, Cultured Celery Juice, Vinegar, Sodium Phosphates, Cherry Powder, Lemon Juice Solids, Flavor, Extractives of Paprika

so I was telling my co worker about natural hot dogs. she said her friend was saying there is no difference between natural hot dogs and un natural because of the celery juice in the ingredients. I had never heard this before but said I would look into it.according to her the celery juice is just like nitraites.interesting that I saw your thread.going to research this more.
B.Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote