Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Organic and Natural Eating (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/)
-   -   raw foods cookbook (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/797527-raw-foods-cookbook.html)

sarahatl 02-20-2013 11:06 AM

raw foods cookbook

Do any of you eat a lot of raw foods? I am going to try to do this more often. Are there any good raw food cookbooks out there that any of you recommend or any good recipes? THanks...I am always on the quest of eating healthy.

wifetoEdmotherof10 03-01-2013 08:37 PM

Have you looked at Victoria Buotenko (sp). Her family is raw and she has a lot of books. I have 2 or 3 of hers and I like them. Also, Mimi Rogers, I think that is her name.
Have you tried green smoothies? If not, look up Green Smoothie Girl, she has lots of great information and recipes.

sarahatl 03-02-2013 03:46 AM

thank you ..motherof10. I will look that up. Green smoothies...sound super..what kind of blender would I need for something like that? Can you recommend anythings?

wifetoEdmotherof10 03-02-2013 06:00 AM

Well, if money is abundant:) then look into a Vita-mix or a Blend tec, they are the best out there. I have not been able to afford one so I use a Ninja and I have only recently seen the blades are getting dull. Of course I have lots of smoothies going out in my house, sometimes 3 times a day, so for 1 or 2 people that shouldn't be a problem.
I suggest you start with spinach, it is mild, blend it first with water, then add from there. We add kefir, whey protein powder and organic barley mix along with fruit, usually a berry blend. Hope this helps.
Tina

Mrs S 03-02-2013 06:04 AM

There used to be a raw foods restaurant in Atlanta called Delights of the Garden. I think there is one in DC. Anyway, they put out a raw foods cookbook in the 90s that was really good,also called Delights of the Garden. The raw sweet potato pie with nut crust was particularly good.

sarahatl 03-02-2013 10:49 AM

Thanks all! Mrs S ..I will check and see if Deligts of Garden is still in buisiness. We do have on restaurant (R. Thomas) that has some raw items on menu. Thanks!

Mrs S 03-03-2013 07:13 AM

Delights of the Garden is long closed in Atlanta and I just read the DC location is too. I think they were just too far ahead of their time. I used to love R Thomas when I lived in Atlanta. Cafe Sunflower was a good place too, not sure if they have much raw food but still, fantastic food. There used to be a raw foods place in North Druid Hills, but that was 10 years ago and I can't remember the name to save my life.

Atlanta is such a great city for eating out!

beachagain 03-08-2013 05:30 PM

A juicer is helpful...I bought the Bella (cheap one) and it serves me well...Most people say you should only use the $300 dollar ones, I am cheap and not made of money so bought the $40 dollar one and LOVE it! I love juicing too...I don't live on juices, but it is a way for me to get all of my vegies...especially the ones I don't like, like kale, broccoli, beets...etc...I love beet juice now :dunno: and kale :dunno:

sherlocklabs 03-11-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifetoEdmotherof10 (Post 16289827)
Have you looked at Victoria Buotenko (sp). Her family is raw and she has a lot of books. I have 2 or 3 of hers and I like them. Also, Mimi Rogers, I think that is her name.
Have you tried green smoothies? If not, look up Green Smoothie Girl, she has lots of great information and recipes.

Thank you for the recommendation and info! Raw and juicing are an avenue I've been researching and educating myself on. I may not go 100%...but I think the raw/juicing method has a LOT to offer nutritionally! :)
I have the Ninja...and it seems to work fine for me. My parents just go the Nutri-bullet...and they absolutely love it! Just some info for those researching blenders/mixers.