Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Organic and Natural Eating (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/)
-   -   Kale? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/791904-kale.html)

avid 12-22-2012 01:45 PM

Kale?
 
I know this is the most nutrient dense plant food on the planet, but I don't eat salads. I eat alot of veggies but they are from the frozen food aisle.
Is there a kale product that is frozen?

terez 12-22-2012 02:31 PM

I don't know if there's a Trader Joe's around you, but they make an awesome spinach/kale pie.

Personally, I don't like it much, but I drizzle olive oil on chopped kale, toss it with spices and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for around a half hour, or until it gets crunchy.

It tastes almost like potato chips when I sprinkle sea salt on the whole thing.

Some use spray oil, which seems like a good idea. I haven't tried that, yet.

LiterateGriffin 12-22-2012 03:24 PM

I was going to suggest kale-chips, but Terez beat me to it!

Also -- chop and put in soups, if you make them. Or in stir-fry.


And Terez -- Three Rivers sounds familiar. Are you in West Kingdom? (Cynagua?)

avid 12-22-2012 04:03 PM

No, no trader Joe's and I have never seen kale chips,
but you did give me an idea. I suppose I could buy some fresh and add it to my bag of frozen greens, then use it like i use the others.
Does that make sense?

terez 12-22-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16149387)
No, no trader Joe's and I have never seen kale chips,
but you did give me an idea. I suppose I could buy some fresh and add it to my bag of frozen greens, then use it like i use the others.
Does that make sense?


Sure. That sounds good.

You can chop up fresh Kale into 2 inch pieces and then bake to make "chips".

terez 12-22-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16149330)
I was going to suggest kale-chips, but Terez beat me to it!

Also -- chop and put in soups, if you make them. Or in stir-fry.


And Terez -- Three Rivers sounds familiar. Are you in West Kingdom? (Cynagua?)


Calontir. :)

cfine 01-19-2013 06:59 PM

I have just recently started eating kale and I LOVE it! Here's my recipe:

one bunch of kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
2-3tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup water

saute garlic in olive oil. Add kale and mix well. Add 1/2cup water and put a lid over it and cook over high heat for about 5 minutes. Take lid off and let all water cook out. When you are ready to serve, sprinkle a little red wine vinegar on top.

Meowser 01-19-2013 10:25 PM

I buy frozen kale in my grocery stores. I just cook it according to the directions (boil and then simmer). I sprinkle vinegar and hot sauce on and then enjoy! Although I prefer mustard greens to kale...

avid 01-20-2013 06:17 AM

I wish my local walmart sold them frozen. they carry all kinds of frozen greens but not kale. I just buy the bag of fresh in the produce section and freeze it.
I too prefer the taste of other greens over kale. Spinach is my favorite.
I'm really impressed with the nutrient value of kale plus Dr. Wahls recommends it and I take her suggestions very seriously.
What I do is buy several types of greens. A combination of kale and either spinach, turnip greens, collards or mustard greens and mix them together in a big bag and freeze it.
Then I just go to the freezer, scoop out a couple of handfuls of the mixed greens and nuke em. Quick, easy, delicious, nutritious, lc, and low cal.

Jonika 01-20-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16207104)
I have just recently started eating kale and I LOVE it! Here's my recipe:

one bunch of kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
2-3tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup water

saute garlic in olive oil. Add kale and mix well. Add 1/2cup water and put a lid over it and cook over high heat for about 5 minutes. Take lid off and let all water cook out. When you are ready to serve, sprinkle a little red wine vinegar on top.

Sounds really good. I will try that today. I just boiled some Kale and have Organic garlic in the fridge. :)

cfine 01-22-2013 03:43 PM

I must have some sort of deficiency because I think about eating kale all day long. I can't get enough of this stuff!

terez 01-22-2013 03:55 PM

I just had a green smoothie made with kale, blueberries, lime juice, ginger, coconut milk and Splenda. I used the fresh in a Magic Bullet.

Jonika 01-27-2013 09:51 PM

Lose Splenda people...all the good nutrients you ingest via vegetables is counteracted by the chemical sucralose. Splenda creates dis-symbiosis in your gut which leads to more health problems.

Erin57 01-28-2013 02:32 PM

I was buying it by the bunch and cutting all the stems out. I found the big bags of chopped at Walmart and Publix. The bags still have some stems to pull out but much easier. I made a big batch of stir fried and it was great!

Heat hot oil in pan and add minced garlic. Sautee for a few minutes, then add Kale. Toss and put a lid on for a few minutes. Take lid off, add about 1/2 of chicken broth. Cook for 5 minutes until all moisture is remove. Yummy!!

DiamondDeb 01-28-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin57 (Post 16225190)
I was buying it by the bunch and cutting all the stems out. I found the big bags of chopped at Walmart and Publix. The bags still have some stems to pull out but much easier. I made a big batch of stir fried and it was great!

Heat hot oil in pan and add minced garlic. Sautee for a few minutes, then add Kale. Toss and put a lid on for a few minutes. Take lid off, add about 1/2 of chicken broth. Cook for 5 minutes until all moisture is remove. Yummy!!

What is the brand you found at Publix? I have only seen loose bunches there.

Erin57 01-29-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16225726)
What is the brand you found at Publix? I have only seen loose bunches there.

Glory Foods. It comes in a big green and orange bag.

Erin57 01-29-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16207481)
I wish my local walmart sold them frozen. they carry all kinds of frozen greens but not kale. I just buy the bag of fresh in the produce section and freeze it.
I too prefer the taste of other greens over kale. Spinach is my favorite.
I'm really impressed with the nutrient value of kale plus Dr. Wahls recommends it and I take her suggestions very seriously.
What I do is buy several types of greens. A combination of kale and either spinach, turnip greens, collards or mustard greens and mix them together in a big bag and freeze it.
Then I just go to the freezer, scoop out a couple of handfuls of the mixed greens and nuke em. Quick, easy, delicious, nutritious, lc, and low cal.

I just noticed this Avid. I'm a big Dr. Wahls fan also. I'm too cheap to buy her book right now but will put it on my library list.

She is the one that got me thinking about veggies/vs. supplements. I'm loving the way I feel on the increased veggies. I have started shredding raw beets into my salads and adding radishes. Very yummy! I'm surprised that I like the beets as much as I do. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but if you take small bitesize pieces of kale and massage them they turn a darker color and are less bitter in a salad. I sprinkle some good quality himilayan salt on my hands and then just "scrunch"

CarolStrong 01-29-2013 07:14 AM

I love putting some Kale into my green smoothies!

I use the NutriBlender and combine some spinach, an apple, some kale, ice, and water and blend it into a delicious treat! When you make it right it's super tasty and super healthy. If you want to make it a bit more low carb though you can use some dark fruits instead of the apple.

DiamondDeb 01-29-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin57 (Post 16226054)
Glory Foods. It comes in a big green and orange bag.

Thanks! I'll look for it.

I only recently discovered kale & am looking forward to trying new recipes with it.

terez 02-20-2013 07:58 AM

Last night I made my usual chips and then sprinkled them with malt vinegar. I didn't think it would taste anywhere as good as it did. I'm really not into vinegary foods, but this was fantastic.

Liz1959 03-06-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16207481)
What I do is buy several types of greens. A combination of kale and either spinach, turnip greens, collards or mustard greens and mix them together in a big bag and freeze it.
Then I just go to the freezer, scoop out a couple of handfuls of the mixed greens and nuke em. Quick, easy, delicious, nutritious, lc, and low cal.

That's a great idea. Never thought to do that with leafy stuff.
I've been growing kale since I realized how much easier it is to cook with than spinach. It has lasted over winter the last two years. Last spring I let it go to seed, so I may have it everywhere this year! That's OK though. I also grow some in a box near the door with basil and fennel, for when I just need a little.

Bethanyblondie 03-08-2013 11:46 AM

My husband tried making the kale chips and I did NOT like them at all. I'm not a big fan of kale either, but sauteed down with some good garlic and oil makes them alright.

beachagain 03-08-2013 04:25 PM

just throwing this out there...I juice my kale with other vegies and fruit...it's the one way I can get it down...easily actually :up:

avid 03-15-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin57 (Post 16226059)
I just noticed this Avid. I'm a big Dr. Wahls fan also. I'm too cheap to buy her book right now but will put it on my library list.

She is the one that got me thinking about veggies/vs. supplements. I'm loving the way I feel on the increased veggies. I have started shredding raw beets into my salads and adding radishes. Very yummy! I'm surprised that I like the beets as much as I do. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but if you take small bitesize pieces of kale and massage them they turn a darker color and are less bitter in a salad. I sprinkle some good quality himilayan salt on my hands and then just "scrunch"

I read Dr. Wahls' book. I can tell you that if you "like" her on face book, and read the blurbs on her website and watch her video you will get all the info that is contained in her small book.
I really admire her, and the notion of using nutrition rather than medication is just so appealing to me. My lipid profile improved just from going lc. but for the past several months I have been following her recommendations pretty closely. I still cling to some dairy, but have added berries, nuts, organ meat, and 'colors' to my diet, even if they are a little carby. I just had blood drawn the other day and will come back here and post the results and the change from past results. Without lab results to back it up, I can only tell you that since I began "feeding" my mitochondria I feel stonger than I have in years.
Her recommendations make so much sense, and her results are astounding

peretroika 03-22-2013 05:57 PM

I love kale! I love that it doesn't disappear when you cook it, like spinach can.

I make kale by sautéing it in butter and adding a dash of lemon and a dash of soy sauce/amino acids when it's close to done...yum!

CinnamonSpice 04-04-2013 12:23 PM

I put fresh organic kale in my smoothies..:)

Pm79 04-23-2013 10:54 AM

I also make my own kale chips, love the taste, almost like regular chips. There are packages of frozen kale available in my area, which I use in recipes much like other frozen veggies such as spinach.

Larissima 02-21-2014 04:16 AM

Even though this is an old thread, I have to chip in about how much I :heart: kale! Especially the black leaf variety, Cavalo Nero. It's my favourite green, and that's saying something as I love spinach, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, spring greens...

My absolute favourite is kale sauteed in loads of golden butter. I wash and tear the leaves by hand (if they're young there's no need to remove the rib), throw them in the pan with a big chunk of butter and sprinkle sea salt crystals on top. Toss them around a bit, and in a few minutes they're softened, yet still satisfyingly chewy, and crisp at the edges from the butter. Yummmmm!

snooks86 02-21-2014 11:27 PM

You can sautee it with olive oil and garlic and add it to omelettes like I do.

bobbyt 02-24-2014 12:25 PM

I love salads, but kale is pretty bitter so I feel like it takes away from the romaine leaves that I love so much. Like others said, I love making kale chips from fresh kale. I also like adding either spinach or kale into my morning smoothie (sometimes I add in both!). Another great way to use fresh kale.

Snooks86- I've never thought to saute it! I love eating spinach that way so I'll have to give that a go...thanks!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM.