Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: healingwomen
I found this and wondered what you guys thought?

This website is saying that honey is good for you but my doctor told me that all sugars are bad. Any thoughts? Honey is natural so maybe it's not as bad as my doctor says?

Last edited by healingwomen; 12-22-2012 at 08:59 AM..
healingwomen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Listen to your doctor. Honey is sugar, and sugar is bad for you.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Honey has trace amounts of many things that are good for you, and IS an effective treatment for sore throat/cough. (It's been documented as at least as effective as pharmaceutical remedies for these conditions in multiple scientific journals.) If I'm truly sick with one of these, I treat a spoonful like the medicine it is.

However, I treat it as MEDICINE. Not as food. The sugar in honey -- which is MOST of what's in it, by a HUGE amount! -- is exactly the same as the sugar in white table sugar.

And, just like table sugar, it's full of fructose, which is the worst KIND of sugar for you.

Being "natural" doesn't mean something is good for you. Oleander, foxglove, belladonna, aconite, and poinsettia are all natural, as well. However, outside specific medial usage, none of these are good for you, and certainly none are "safe".
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Most sugars (If memory serves d-ribose may be an exception; I used it for a while for fibromyalgia pain.) are bad.

Locally grown honey does have benefits but, for anyone needing to lose weight or with blood sugar problems, it is best completely avoided.

My brother has honeybees & sent me honey as a Christmas gift. I am not going to have any. I'll give it to friends who eat sweets. If there was any way I could make honey a healthy choice I would because this is the best honey I ever had. He sent some last year & I enjoyed it though I did not eat it all. I don't like most honey.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 12-23-2012 at 11:23 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/210/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My DH takes a spoonful (like medicine) of local honey every night before bed. It helps with his sleep and seasonal allergies.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Honey is worse than sugar, it's just as sweet and has more calories. I compared them once before when I was thinking of switching to honey away from sugar and learned honey is just as bad or worse even though it's natural. Then I decided to go with diet sugar. So no, honey is definitely not good, if you use honey you might as well use regular white sugar.

Last edited by ~PaperMoon~; 12-23-2012 at 02:10 PM..
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/143/sub-140 (stretch goal)
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: December 2007
I'm going to be the contrarian here...

If you're otherwise healthy and don't have some kind of medical issue that precludes sugars, I see no harm in using it sparingly. It's a natural substance and, while some compare it to sugar, it tastes REALLY good and can be a wonderful treat. And, as some have indicated, it can have some good medical uses.

The key word here is "sparingly". We don't have an obesity problem because people eat sweets sparingly; we have a problem because people are eating the wrong foods and don't know how to stop.

Personally, I don't eat it just because it doesn't do anything for me. Plus most of it would go bad before I could finish the jar and I hate to waste food.

Just my two cents.
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
DH used to eat a spoonful of honey every night before bed. He said that it helps him sleep, and also it is good for his seasonal allergies (he bought local, raw honey, and this year collected some from his own bees). I have never eaten too much of it because it doesn't really do much for me. DH was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 1.5 months ago and I think I have convinced him that the sugar in the honey is doing him more harm than good (he's also eating low carb, so I don't think it took too much to convince him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1ht View Post
Personally, I don't eat it just because it doesn't do anything for me. Plus most of it would go bad before I could finish the jar and I hate to waste food.
Actually honey almost never goes bad. I believe honey has been found in Egyptian tombs and was still edible. If it gets water in it, it can ferment, and in that state it is still edible for a while, but if left for too long fermeted honey can go bad (although it probably wouldn't kill you to eat it). A lot of times honey that has been sitting around for a while, or if it gets cold, will crystalize but that doesn't mean it is bad, it just needs to be gently warmed by putting the jar into warm water and then it will melt back into liquid form.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 12-26-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Yeah honey doesn't go bad it can last forever. LOL!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Actually honey almost never goes bad. I believe honey has been found in Egyptian tombs and was still edible. If it gets water in it, it can ferment, and in that state it is still edible for a while, but if left for too long fermeted honey can go bad (although it probably wouldn't kill you to eat it). A lot of times honey that has been sitting around for a while, or if it gets cold, will crystalize but that doesn't mean it is bad, it just needs to be gently warmed by putting the jar into warm water and then it will melt back into liquid form.
Yes, honey ferments in water... and makes a wonderful substance called "MEAD"!

Now... from a mead-maker's perspective, it MATTERS if you've got fresh honey. (Same for water quality, air-moisture, temperature stability, and a whole bunch of other things that don't make a difference to most folks, most of the time.)

From any OTHER perspective? Just warm it up and it'll turn soft again. I often PREFER crystallized honey, in recipes, because it's easier to get it all out of the measuring spoon.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mazella09
Do not feed to the very young, tho.

I use local honey sparingly and have also found raw to be beneficial. Less is better, tho. Fructose worries me.
Mazella09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NextLevel
Stats: 5'1", 107 lbs
WOE: Less carbs, more good fats, more whole foods
Start Date: 2009
I put a tablespoon of local raw honey in my homemade batch of lemonade. Now it tastes way too good. It's like crack juice : /

I do add honey to my hair when I'm deep conditioning. It works WONDERS.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by healingwomen View Post
This website is saying that honey is good for you but my doctor told me that all sugars are bad. Any thoughts? Honey is natural so maybe it's not as bad as my doctor says?
is this website selling honey or honey/bee related products? (my first thought!)
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
i think, as others have posted here, that if you have a sugar-related problem then stay away from honey; except for fermented honey/mead/honey wine those in moderation are a-okay in my book.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by margame View Post
is this website selling honey or honey/bee related products? (my first thought!)
Honey does have known health benefits, it's just that those of us who are carb sensitive need to weigh the costs vs. benefits. DH says he isn't sleeping as well without his nightly dose of honey, but since he's been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes he is trying to figure out an alternative.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
DH used to eat a spoonful of honey every night before bed. He said that it helps him sleep, and also it is good for his seasonal allergies (he bought local, raw honey, and this year collected some from his own bees). I have never eaten too much of it because it doesn't really do much for me. DH was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 1.5 months ago and I think I have convinced him that the sugar in the honey is doing him more harm than good (he's also eating low carb, so I don't think it took too much to convince him).
I don't see how a spoon full of honey or any other "raw" sugar (not white or processed sugar) once a day can lead to type 2 diabetes. Many more factors like family history, weight, daily body movement and yes, eating high carb food will lead us done the road to disease, but to say a spoon full of honey everyday could be a major factor in a disease just doesn't seem convincing to me.

I also believe honey has many benefits and if used sparingly will actually help us and not harm us.

Just my honest opinions and nothing more.

Good for you DH for taking better care of himself by eating LC, BTW!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 02-18-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I don't see how a spoon full of honey or any sugar once a day can lead to type 2 diabetes. Many more factors like family history, weight, daily body movement and yes, eating high carb food will lead us done the road to disease, but to say a spoon full of honey everyday could be a major factor a disease just doesn't seem convincing to me.

I also believe honey has many benefits and if used sparingly will actually help us and not harm us.

Just my honest opinions and nothing more.

Good for you DH for taking better care of himself by eating LC, BTW!
I didn't say the honey caused his Type 2 diabetes, but now that he has it, it is prudent for him to not eat a spoonful of honey before bed.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

My first thought is this thread is about natural eating...so in light of that I wholeheartedly believe that RAW honey is wonderful. It has antibacterial properties, it is wonderful on burns and stings of all kinds. God's design is perfect...think about it.
That doesn't mean we should overindulge but having some now and then will not hurt.
So with natural and organic eating in mind, you can't get much closer to the whole food than this.
wifetoEdmotherof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
I also believe honey, real raw honey, is a healthful food. But raw unprocessed local honey is best. Some are making honey by feeding the bees high fructose corn syrup or mixing sucrose with the honey. Make sure you eat the REAL STUFF!
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
WOE: Atkins
I'm in the 'honey is still sugar' camp, no matter how good it is for you otherwise. Also, if you're not buying all natural honey, more than likely you are eating is watered down not honey, or worse, corn syrup and flavoring:

Tests Show Most Store Honey Isn't Honey | Food Safety News

It gives you a list of honey that contains no pollen (every single drugstore brand tested) which is what makes it honey/better for you. And, then there's this:

Eventually, some honey packers became worried about what they were pumping into the plastic bears and jars they were selling. They began using in-house or private labs to test for honey diluted with inexpensive high fructose corn syrup or 13 other illegal sweeteners or for the presence of illegal antibiotics.
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/210/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
We get ours from an apiary just a few miles from our house. We either go right to the farm or buy it from one of the little stores around that carry it.

They were in Whole Foods for a while, but they couldn't keep up with the demand. The bee lady said out of state people bring their hives on trucks and leave them here (in CA) over the winter so their bees don't have as many flowers to choose from and can't produce as much honey.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ornald
This is not a complicated issue , no doubt honey is really good food for health. It has lots of benefits. But on the other hand if you are a diabetic patient you should avoid eating it. Your doctor is right.
Ornald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
I have a container of raw honey with layered lemon and sliced ginger. When the kids get sick I put a teaspoon of it in a cup of hot water. Honey has its place, but it is sugar natural or not I don't use it personally but I do give it to my kids in that form.
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote