Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Organic and Natural Eating (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/)
-   -   natural deodorants? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/790386-natural-deodorants.html)

avid 11-30-2012 02:27 PM

natural deodorants?

I'm looking for a natural deodorant.
There must be herbs or spices etc, that if applied topically after showering or ingested as a diet supplement can aide in promoting a clean, fresh smell.

SheriF 12-02-2012 07:56 AM

Natural Deodorant

My husband and I both use and like Weleda Brand deodorants. I use the citrus and he uses the sage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16109344)
I'm looking for a natural deodorant.
There must be herbs or spices etc, that if applied topically after showering or ingested as a diet supplement can aide in promoting a clean, fresh smell.

Bamboozled 12-04-2012 11:32 AM

For awhile I used baking soda mixed with essential oils (lavender, tea tree, etc). It actually works pretty good. I wanted to make a bar of deoderant but never got around to ordering the containers.

The baking soda can be a bit messy but I found it went on okay and definitely helped.

PaleoRainy 12-18-2012 03:56 AM

I used to apply baking soda but it's a bit irritating after shaving. It works well though.
So now I'm trying talcum. It works and it's not irritating after shaving.
I heard it could clog pores and be unhealthy, however I did a bit of research online and it seemed not. We'll see.

Annabelle 12-18-2012 01:54 PM

I use Tom's of MAine unscented. It's all natural ingredients.

LiterateGriffin 12-20-2012 04:20 AM

I've traditionally used "the rock" or "the crystal". Works well, but shatters if dropped.

Toms of Maine makes a roll-on version of the same thing, though. It's basically mineral-salts, and -- for me, at least -- works better than ANYTHING else. And I get sweaty/stinky with commercial ones or with nothing.

Recently, at Walgreens, I found a comercial version of "the rock". It's called "Crystal", and is basically "the rock" presented in "traditional packaging" -- it's in a deodorant container, and you can turn a knob at the bottom to make it "push up" more. OK, all that packaging's decidedly unnecessary, but... I was there, I needed deodorant, and I bought it.

I like the Tom's version to take to the gym, as roll-on is the only type that doesn't get destroyed for me in a gym bag. (Anything else gets dropped & broken. Doesn't happen to roll-on)

Works for stinky feet, too.

gotsomeold 12-26-2012 04:17 AM

Coconut oil. Apply small amounts, wait a few minutes, then gently wipe the excess oil off. It does not prevent sweating and it takes a few days to begin working, but it kills stinky bacteria - totally changes the flora - on the skin.

Feet too.

Wowsers, when I stop to think about it, how did I survive before I found CO?

Oh, and drink liquid chlorophyll (combine with another liquid).

Mazella09 01-03-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheriF (Post 16112239)
My husband and I both use and like Weleda Brand deodorants. I use the citrus and he uses the sage.

I love the citrus, too!!

There's Lavanila brand.

tobelowcarber 01-03-2013 02:45 PM

I use baking soda for few years now. I just learned that coconut oil works well. I have not tried it yet.

cfine 01-22-2013 03:44 PM

I use the crystal salt and I add powder on top of that. I can only do this in the winter though.

tobelowcarber 01-22-2013 04:08 PM

I have been using coconut oil for the past few days and is working great. I was afraid of oil stain but there is none.

NextLevel 01-26-2013 09:16 AM

I just made some deo the other day. Took me all of 5 minutes...

1) I cleaned my newly-emptied Tom's deo container.

2) In a small bowl I mixed: 1 part (unscented) coconut oil + 1 part baking soda + 1 part corn starch

3) I mixed until the consistency looked like regular deo. You can keep adding dry ingredients little by little if you so please.

4) I added about 5 drops of lavender essential oil to the mixture (I think it has antifungal/antibacterial properties or something..)

5) Also added drops of rose essential oil so that there wouldn't be an overwhelmingly strong smell of the lavender.

6) I scooped this mixture into my deo container and let it set in the fridge.

THIS IS THE BEST DEO I HAVE EVER HAD. NOT ONE TINY HINT OF MUSTINESS AT THE END OF THE DAY. I STAY SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN!! I LOVE IT!!!

Tom's deo can kick rocks!!! Lol.

NextLevel 01-26-2013 09:17 AM

P.S. no oil stains, no deo stains, no white deo powder crud under my armpits either

Oh and Avid, instead of using lavender oil + rose oil, you could probably use lavender oil + peppermint oil. I think lavender oil has a slightly masculine scent (which is why I like to mask it with rose oil). Lavender reminds me more of a men's cologne. Like Calvin Klein Euphoria for Men or something.

tobelowcarber 01-26-2013 11:06 AM

Thanks NextLevel. The recipe sounds great. I will definitely make it, just need to find a container as I have not used commercial deodorants in ages. Maybe I need to buy a deodorant and empty it.

April 01-27-2013 03:52 PM

Works for Me

Hi,
I have been using Milk of Magnesium for about 4 years now. My mom read about it on The People's Pharmacy in the newspaper. I like to pour about 4 oz or so into a small plastic container and leave it open until it gets to about the consistency of yogurt. After that I cover it or it will dry out. I also add some iodine (the Betadine kind - not the alcohol kind). I used to get painful shaving bumps, but with this mixture I don't. I use one of those round cosmetic type sponge applicators to put it on.

miboje 02-08-2013 04:57 PM

I make my own deodorant this way too! I love it! I used coconut oil, baking soda, arrowroot powder and tea tree, lavender and lemongrass essential oils. It works very well. I'll never go back to the commercial stuff. I smell so lemony there! It smells really good.

You can also get a small spray bottle and fill it with witch hazel, then add a few drops of your favorite essential oils for a spray rather than a stick. I haven't tried this one yet, but I've got everything to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NextLevel (Post 16220636)
I just made some deo the other day. Took me all of 5 minutes...

1) I cleaned my newly-emptied Tom's deo container.

2) In a small bowl I mixed: 1 part (unscented) coconut oil + 1 part baking soda + 1 part corn starch

3) I mixed until the consistency looked like regular deo. You can keep adding dry ingredients little by little if you so please.

4) I added about 5 drops of lavender essential oil to the mixture (I think it has antifungal/antibacterial properties or something..)

5) Also added drops of rose essential oil so that there wouldn't be an overwhelmingly strong smell of the lavender.

6) I scooped this mixture into my deo container and let it set in the fridge.

THIS IS THE BEST DEO I HAVE EVER HAD. NOT ONE TINY HINT OF MUSTINESS AT THE END OF THE DAY. I STAY SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN!! I LOVE IT!!!

Tom's deo can kick rocks!!! Lol.

DiamondDeb 02-09-2013 06:05 PM

I'm planning to try a natural deodorant soon. I have no intereswt in making my own. lolo... I was thinking of the crystal one but the Walgreen's version sounds better.

Honestly, I am pretty sure I could do without completely but I'm not quite ready to go there. :laugh: