Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Important free film about GMO products - send to everyone in california b4 nov6

I know it's one-sided, but Monsanto is spending a million dollars a day trying to convince California voters to vote against GMO labeling so it's good to see the other side of the story.

This film is going to be free on YouTube until election days. As I said, it's one sided, but even if it is an exaggeration, it makes a good case for specifying whether your food is GMO or not.

So pop some popcorn (popcorn isn't GMO yet) and watch. And this is important, send it to everyone you know in California and ask them to pass it on to others.

Thanks,
Bobby

Last edited by Bobby_Boomer; 10-25-2012 at 12:24 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
The arguments I have found most convincing say this is bad legislation. We need GMO labeling, but we can let the legislature do it. This is a very inflexible law. Just my reading of the situation!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
I am going to vote yes on this.
So many big companies against GMO labeling are throwing so much money into fighting against this!
Why?
Could they stand to lose money if it passes?
I really believe their only concern is making money.

This kind of labeling has been present in Europe for a while now. We need to try to catch-up.
I really feel we have a right to know.
Unfortunately I thing that most of us will vote the way the biotech companies want us to.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel Lee View Post
I am going to vote yes on this.
So many big companies against GMO labeling are throwing so much money into fighting against this!
Why?
Could they stand to lose money if it passes?
I really believe their only concern is making money.

This kind of labeling has been present in Europe for a while now. We need to try to catch-up.
I really feel we have a right to know.

Unfortunately I thing that most of us will vote the way the biotech companies want us to.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I know that until there is labeling, I will no longer eat corn or soy in a product unless it is certified Non-GMO. I will be particular about the dairy by researching on-line who bans it and who doesn't care. And I already avoid cottonseed oil and canola oil.

It's sad. My diet is already restricted due to LC, but my health is more important than anything else and I just don't want to take the chance.

The only way to beat the $1,000,000.00 per day Monsanto advertizing blitz is to pass this video to everyone you know in California where the vote is being held. It's our only chance.

Bobby

Last edited by Bobby_Boomer; 10-26-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/210/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I tend to be on the other side of the political fence of laws like this, but I believe I will vote for 37. I remember when companies didn't want to list ingredients in order of the amount and the nutrition information. They do now and we are all better off for it.

People making small choices at the grocery store changes what we are offered. My kids always liked Log Cabin syrup. I quit buying it when I wised up to HFCS. They switched back to regular sugar and put a big blurb on the front of the bottle..... "No High Fructose Corn Syrup!" So i must not have been the only one.

Besides the GMO issue, I think Monsanto needs to have their powers curtailed. They do more to harm small farmers than this proposition possibly could.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.

Last edited by GME; 10-27-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Old 10-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

There is nothing wrong with listing the ingredients so the consumer can decide what he or she will purchase. There is something wrong with hiding an ingredient that is suspected of being unhealthy and therefore not allowing the consumer to make that choice.

At this point in time I don't know if GMO foods should be banned or not, I would like to see independent scientific studies done first. And I don't mean studies done by the FDA or Monsanto either, but a truly non-biased organization and then duplicated by another independent one.

But I don't think it should be forced on us either.

As a low carb person, I depend on a good deal of soy. Now I can no longer eat those low-carb bagels made with soy flour anymore because they are not listed as non-GMO and I don't want to take the chance (the baker doesn't say anything, therefore they must be GMO).

And the idea of corn with insecticide genes in it is terrible. I'll never eat corn again unless it is organic.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I am in CA so I have been inundated with the ads and none of them I have seen even claim GMOs are ok, they just say it is a bad law because this and that aren't labeled.

That was where my initial doubt about voting yes came from, but I have decided any labeling is better than none and I think GMOs will just go away like they have in Europe and Australia once many items have to be labeled.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I figure if Monsanto is spending a million dollars per day (as reported) telling people not to vote for labeling, that's a good enough reason to vote for labeling. Not that I have any grudge against Monsanto, they are just another company trying to turn a profit. It's just that I should be able to choose who profits from my dollars - especially in the case of food. As the saying goes, "You are what you eat".

I'm sure the video gives worse case and probably exaggerates its side of the story as much as Monsanto does the same for their side. But if the statement that the insecticide that is spliced into the corn genome becomes part of the intestinal flora that help you digest that corn, and after that the flora continues to create the insecticide in your intestines is true - I want no part of that.

Bacteria for all practical purposes don't die. They divide into to identical copies of themselves, so if one dies, was it the original or the survivor? So are there flora bacteria in my gut making insecticide right now? And will they be doing that for as long as I live? And will that harm me? After all, I'm a living creature just like those insects.

I already avoid Corn Sweeteners due to the high carb content, but from time to time I used to taste a little corn or have a smidgen of corn bread. No more for me until labeling comes in.

I'm also buying safe cheese (mostly imported from non-GMO countries), looking for voluntary non-gmo labels, and downloaded an app for my phone that helps me choose non-gmo products.

I may be in error, but I feel it's best to err on the side of caution.

Please share the video to everyone you know in California before election day. If it goes viral, we have a chance of knowing what we are eating. Because as California goes, the nation usually follows.

Bobby
Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #10

Gallery: pocahontas
CA native here, can someone help answer a question I have? I havent been able to locate this info.

Is the labeling only required by CA farmers?

My concern is that if CA farmers are required to label and out of state farmers are not, shoppers will see 2 nearly identical items side by side and choose the one without the GMO label though they may still be purchasing a GMO product. I dont trust shoppers to be knowledgable enough to choose the local item just because of a little ol' label. Sad but true. There are a lot of "bandwagon" types out there and though they have good intentions, they havent done their homework.

I think this should be a Federally mandated law, not a state one if it's to the detriment of our CA farmer's.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
CA native here, can someone help answer a question I have? I havent been able to locate this info.

Is the labeling only required by CA farmers?

My concern is that if CA farmers are required to label and out of state farmers are not, shoppers will see 2 nearly identical items side by side and choose the one without the GMO label though they may still be purchasing a GMO product. I dont trust shoppers to be knowledgable enough to choose the local item just because of a little ol' label. Sad but true. There are a lot of "bandwagon" types out there and though they have good intentions, they havent done their homework.

I think this should be a Federally mandated law, not a state one if it's to the detriment of our CA farmer's.
The proposition says food offered for sale in CA, so it would apply to food sold here regardless of where it came from.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

And if the food has to be labeled for CA, most likely it will soon be labeled for everybody.

We have the right to know whether our food is a GMO or not - and make our decision as to whether or not we choose to consume it.

Unfortunately the FDA has been hijacked by big food and big pharma, and instead of representing us, they are representing the international corporations. That's why we have to fight back.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Boomer View Post
And if the food has to be labeled for CA, most likely it will soon be labeled for everybody.

We have the right to know whether our food is a GMO or not - and make our decision as to whether or not we choose to consume it.

Unfortunately the FDA has been hijacked by big food and big pharma, and instead of representing us, they are representing the international corporations. That's why we have to fight back.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
The proposition says food offered for sale in CA, so it would apply to food sold here regardless of where it came from.
Thank you! For some reason that wasnt resonating with me and I had to be sure.

Quote:
I dont know if I buy that really but I appreciate the passion you have! CA is definitely a trend leading state but I dont underestimate the power of our Nation's farmers when they feel threatened with being hit in the pocket book.

Dont get me wrong, I am all for food labeling but I have seen other Props not pass that I thought were going to be a shoe in, in CA specifically.

Money talks. I think we have all learned that in the last 12yrs.

Last edited by pocahontas; 10-30-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
It is getting way too hard to be sure food is safe. We need all the help we can get.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Right now after a big lead for labeling, the Monsanto ads have swung it around, so that non-labeling has a slight lead in the polls. Money does talk, so it's important to let everyone you know in California what is at stake.

Bobby
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caterpillarinn
Stats: 178/144/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: July 2012
We don't live in CA but recently went to a local farm event. In chatting with some of the farmers that raise chickens for a nationwide chicken company, they admitted they won't even eat the chicken they raise on their farm.

They told us that the company takes the chickens at 6 weeks. We have been raising chickens as a hobby and I can tell you that a chicken at 6 weeks does not weigh 6 lbs like they do in the store! A full grown hen (30-40 weeks)might weigh 6 lbs.

Just food for thought.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

It seems that the International Corporations are controlling our government.

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

I just read in Life Extension magazine that Vioxx killed more US citizens than the Viet Nam war did. The FDA new about it and didn't stop it. Eventually when they could no longer deny it, a slap on Merck's wrists was applied ... a fine of a tiny fraction of the profits generated by the drug.

From Wiki "Merck withdrew the drug after disclosures that it withheld information about rofecoxib's risks from doctors and patients for over five years, resulting in between 88,000 and 140,000 cases of serious heart disease."

And how many deaths were not directly associated with Vioxx???

And they want me to eat food that has genetically engineered insecticide in it that works by exploding the intestines of the insect, and they tell me that's safe? Or 'roundup ready' corn and soy when roundup is a proven carcinogen, and they tell me it's safe? Why don't I believe them?

I'd love to take our government back from the corporations, but I haven't the slightest idea how to do it.

Bobby
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It seems that the International Corporations are controlling our government.

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

I just read in Life Extension magazine that Vioxx killed more US citizens than the Viet Nam war did. The FDA new about it and didn't stop it. Eventually when they could no longer deny it, a slap on Merck's wrists was applied ... a fine of a tiny fraction of the profits generated by the drug.

From Wiki "Merck withdrew the drug after disclosures that it withheld information about rofecoxib's risks from doctors and patients for over five years, resulting in between 88,000 and 140,000 cases of serious heart disease."

And how many deaths were not directly associated with Vioxx???

And they want me to eat food that has genetically engineered insecticide in it that works by exploding the intestines of the insect, and they tell me that's safe? Or 'roundup ready' corn and soy when roundup is a proven carcinogen, and they tell me it's safe? Why don't I believe them?

I'd love to take our government back from the corporations, but I haven't the slightest idea how to do it.

Bobby

Isn't Merck now an American company!
Monsanto is, it is the company responsible for the Agent Orange we used Viet Nam and soooo much more.

I agree with what you are saying except I would say....

American companies and some international companies are controlling our government and other government through out the world.

In order to take back our government we need to take full responsibility for America's "Make money at all cost" attitude! Our political officials are bought and paid for.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Any company like Monsanto that is also producing GMO crops in India, China, and other countries, is no longer just an American Corporation, but an International Corporation. Political borders mean nothing to them, only this quarters bottom line.

Try googling Monsanto India or Monsanto China or Monsanto Mexico or Monsanto Brazil.

I tried Merck India and got a nice hit, didn't go any farther.

And isn't Monsanto's Agent Orange a close cousin to Roundup with the same active ingredients? which is sprayed on our "Roundup Ready" GMO crops? Agent Orange is a potent carcinogen.

from one website:
One of the two active ingredients that made up Agent Orange is 2,4-D. Despite what Agent Orange did to Vietnam and the Vietnamese people, not to mention a generation of American soldiers, 2,4-D is currently the most widely used herbicide in the world, and the third most commonly used in North America. But apparently we aren’t using this poison enough. By using seeds engineered to withstand it, much more can be applied to our soil and crops.

So if you don't want to eat corn with insecticide in the genes that perforate intestines of insects, or corn, canola oil, cottonseed oil, or soy that is laced with Round Up (Agent Orange?), you better stay away from any of these or their by products unless marked Non-GMO by a voluntary organization that you can trust.

Now all of the doomsday stories can be bunk, but knowing what I know about how the FDA uses the foxes to guard the hen houses, in other words the huge international corporations to test their own products, I should at least know what I'm eating so I can decide if I want to take the chance or not.

BTW, I used to be able to eat nuts roasted in cottonseed oil. Quite a few years ago, eating nuts roasted in cottonseed oil started making my glands swell. So I figured I had developed an allergy to it. I didn't keep dates of when I noticed this, but after watching the movie it right around the time cottonseed oil went GMO.

That's enough for me.

I prefer to err on the side of caution. I'm not panicking and tossing out food, but I'm no longer buying anything with soy, corn, canola, or cottonseed or any of their by products unless specified non-GMO.

And I'm boycotting all things Monsanto because of their millions of dollars spent to keep that information from me.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I just read on the 'net that the Monsanto GM hormones given to cows transmit carcinogens in the milk and cheese and are banned in Europe. They say they promote breast and prostate cancer.

So do you want to give your children possibly carcinogenic milk?

Some dairies in the USA do not use the rBST rBGH in their cows. It takes investigation and this board does not allow links, so google it or call your grocery store if you are concerned.

Hopefully the label law will pass and the rest of the nation will follow so we can make our own decision, right or wrong, but it will be ours.

Bobby
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just read on the 'net that the Monsanto GM hormones given to cows transmit carcinogens in the milk and cheese and are banned in Europe. They say they promote breast and prostate cancer.

So do you want to give your children possibly carcinogenic milk?

Some dairies in the USA do not use the rBST rBGH in their cows. It takes investigation and this board does not allow links, so google it or call your grocery store if you are concerned.

Hopefully the label law will pass and the rest of the nation will follow so we can make our own decision, right or wrong, but it will be ours.

Bobby
Wow, sounds like a nightmare to me!
I sure hope 37 passes!

Does anyone know if it is true that organic food can not be GMO?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Yes, from what I've read in multiple places, organic food can not be GMO food.

I buy only organic salad greens and beef. I try to buy organic elsewhere if I have the choice and if I can afford it. I eat very little processed food. And from now on, I avoid the big four HMO foods like the plague (corn, soy, cottonseed and canola). I'm only eating imported cheese and from a few sources that I know to be non-GMO.

Plus I found a number of non-GMO resources with lists on the 'net. Google non-GMO food and you will find plenty (the mods have scolded me for posting links here).

I don't want to be eating any dairy or beef that the European Union suspects will give me prostate cancer or my wife breast cancer. And I don't want to eat any GMO "roundup ready" plant products that are laced with Roundup (Agent Orange cousin) or have insecticide in their DNA that perforates the intestines of insects because I'm an animal too, and although my intestines are thicker than the insect's, I suspect the corn will damage them (Corn is high-glycemic anyway but there are a lot of corn derivatives - google corn derivatives if you want a looooooong list of things you never knew would punch a hole in your gut and are also laced with Roundup).

What they are doing to our food supply is sad.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Bobby Boomer,
I try to stick to organic when possible.
Organic, cage free, free range eggs are so different than the factory farm eggs.
Color, taste and hardness of the shell.......you really got to hit them hard to crack them.
I like to think that the chickens have a better life too.
I am seriously looking in to getting my own chickens and goats in the future.
We don't touch corn or soy.

Well this is the day!
I voted weeks ago.
I believe this issue is one of the most important for my family.
I hope people get out and vote!!

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change
Carl Rogers

Permanent weight loss requires permanent change.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Failed
What a shame.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #26

gah i was reeally hoping it would pass we need to know what is in our food
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #27
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

It was passing by a pretty good margin when I went to bed last night. I'm not sure what happened.

The commercials here against it were nonstop.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
gah i was reeally hoping it would pass we need to know what is in our food
Why would anyone vote no, so that we will not know what is in our food
Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Thank you! For some reason that wasnt resonating with me and I had to be sure.

I dont know if I buy that really but I appreciate the passion you have! CA is definitely a trend leading state but I dont underestimate the power of our Nation's farmers when they feel threatened with being hit in the pocket book.

Dont get me wrong, I am all for food labeling but I have seen other Props not pass that I thought were going to be a shoe in, in CA specifically.

Money talks. I think we have all learned that in the last 12yrs.
So much for CA being the trailblazer. This isnt the first time I have been disappointed by my home state, as you can tell from my previous post.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
I think they tried to scare peeps with commercials that said food costs would go up if this prop passed. Luckily what this prop has done is open alot more people up to the problem of GMO's in our food chain. A prop in Wash state passed that GMO's will not be allowed to be grown in some county there. It's a start
Closed Thread