Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
That's one reason why I choose Kal brand Stevia Extract. Other than Stevia, there are no other ingredients at all. The other reason I use Kal is that it tastes good with no weird aftertaste.
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bettycooker
Stats: 189/154/140
WOE: gluten free
Start Date: January 2012
I like the KAL brand of stevia. It will last forever since you only need to use a small amount. My daughter's family is now using KAL stevia also since they are on a Paleo diet. It is all natural without additives.
bettycooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
I use nunaturals and trader joe's 100% stevia powder for sweetening my drinks, I notice a slight bitter taste but since it's just for beverages, I don't mind it.

[B]However, I baked a strawberry cheesecake for my birthday last year and used Stevia In The Raw baking mix due to concerns about moisture level and ingredient bulk if using pure stevia, same amount as splenda listed. The texture was perfect, but it tasted of the same telltale stevia bitter flavor and I'm wondering if I used the wrong amount or if there is a better alternative for baking.

I researched natural baking options and I quite like the lack of aftertaste in erythritol, I heard there is a ratio you can mix with stevia for a better tasting baking blend if you buy both in bulk? Can anyone elaborate? I want to avoid xylitol because I also have dogs, and its comparative carb content.

As far as premade blends, I am leaning towards swerve or Ideal due to availability and ingredients. However, they measure cup for cup like sugar, making a pound only enough for a couple of recipes. Also, most sugar free or low carb baking/dessert recipes call for splenda, which has a different measurement from sugar, and possibly stevia. Could anyone enlighten me on the ratios for stevia vs. splenda vs. "sugar" (cup for cup sweeteners), please?

Thanks so much!
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IndieKim
Stats: 202/163.8/130
WOE: Atkins-ish Low Carb
Start Date: 05/20??/2013
I currently have Stevia in the Raw, Swerve, and Nectresse sitting here. I'd say Swerve is my favorite currently.

I found a coconut sugar at Walmart yesterday and apparently it's got 4g carbs (not sure if there's a lower net carb amount because I was kind of distracted to read the whole label). Was wondering if anyone had used it. Anyway, I don't use all that much sweetener in my diet at all, trying to steer away from it altogether. Except in coffee....I'm addicted to Coffeemate Italian Sweet Cream and when I went LC, was thrilled to find a sugar-free version. I mix it with heavy cream so I don't use as much.

May 20 2013 - 202 lbs - Waist: 38.5 - Hips: 45 - Thighs: 28

Sept 1 2013 - 167.2 lbs - Waist: 32.25 - Hips: 39.75 - Thighs: 24
IndieKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: linsey4203
stevia is the best once you get used to it. acquired taste I guess.
linsey4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IndieKim
Stats: 202/163.8/130
WOE: Atkins-ish Low Carb
Start Date: 05/20??/2013
I think that's true of all sweetener alternatives, they're an acquired taste. At first I didn't like the sugar-free Italian Sweet Cream I use in my coffee (much preferred the original) but after using it awhile I wouldn't go back to the sugar stuff even if I wasn't doing LC
IndieKim is offline   Reply With Quote