Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I want to come back to add that the baby had never tried peanuts or eggs, when diagnosed, but one day while my daughter was at the hospital working, she received a phone call from the nanny that the baby was breaking out in hives everywhere. DD asked her what she was feeding to the 4 year old brother and it just so happened that they were having scrambled eggs. She suspected that the nanny may have had eggs on her fingers when spoon feeding little brother. So, this led to special testing to find out what the baby was allergic to and sadly, discovered the life threatening allergy to peanuts. He is allergic to eggs, but not in the severity of peanuts.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Wow Sunday, you may have just explained why my niece has had gut-related issues and ancillary problems all of her life. Her mother, my sister, and I have long suspected there was an underlying, physical cause.

Okay, off to do more research I go!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope you find answers for them. This has my mind just buzzing and curious as well. I have had good friends with Crohn's and DS w/ IBS so it appears that GAPS could be the answer which is invaluable. Very excited to read it. Still listening to all of the youtube videos and wanted to mention that the info on alzheimer's really makes you wonder. Just wow.

I have always felt that the connection between our brain and gut had to be a piece to the puzzle, because of dreams and also when under stress. Have you ever noticed that eating a certain food before bed made you have bizarre dreams? Or sometimes taking a certain supplement? Or how about when you receive horrible news? My stomach does such a turnabout and I may not eat for quite a while. My appetite just vanishes when I experience something devastating. So I know in my case this is true. Has to be related.

I talked to my daughter at length via phone and she agreed that this is a strong possibility with both my son & her son. She is an RN in Labor & Delivery and knew that the gut flora from the newborn is received during birth. Bacteria from the skin and hospital environment quickly populate the bowel of babies born c-section. She also suffered complications after baby was born where she had a sudden increase in bp the day after delivery. So wasn't able to breast feed on that day and suspected it had something to do with all of her son's issues. But now, I think I have convinced her that it is quite possibly from delivering c-section and the healthy flora may have not been in the nursery/environment.

Last edited by sunday; 01-18-2013 at 06:53 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great "feel good" story about healing leaky gut with natural methods.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/ma...pagewanted=all

Last edited by sunday; 03-02-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

What a great thread! I have the book but have never read it.

We are now grain/sugar free in our family, some of the teenagers are protesting no ww bread. I have explained to them that other individuals in our home shouldn't/can't have grains and they are willing to give it a go!
Those of us who are completely off these are feeling great, losing weight and have an overall sense of wellness.

The whole vaginal birth/flora issue is so very fascinating.

I believe there are so many issues that we have that are related to our food, the processes these foods go through and our environment.

One thing we are trying to do, and it is hard, is to get rid of all plastics. The plastics leach into our foods and we absorb these and our body doesn't know what to do with it and sees it as a foreign invader.

There is also a link between plastic and excess estrogen levels.
wifetoEdmotherof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifetoEdmotherof10 View Post

We are now grain/sugar free in our family, some of the teenagers are protesting no ww bread. I have explained to them that other individuals in our home shouldn't/can't have grains and they are willing to give it a go!
Those of us who are completely off these are feeling great, losing weight and have an overall sense of wellness.

I believe there are so many issues that we have that are related to our food, the processes these foods go through and our environment.

One thing we are trying to do, and it is hard, is to get rid of all plastics. The plastics leach into our foods and we absorb these and our body doesn't know what to do with it and sees it as a foreign invader.

That, I really don't know about. Also, I didn't know about plastic and excess estrogen levels.

Today I spent an hour flavoring and bottling kombucha, creating another batch, combining kefirs and working on my chicken bone broth. It's a whole lot of work, but my extreme sensitivities to laundry products, mold and fake perfumes are less than half of what they were 6 months ago. So, I'm getting my life back, finally.

There are kefir and kombucha threads here, too, if you're interested. Plus I eat kim chee because it's fermented, and take probiotics.

There are places like the Vermont Country Store that sell glass containers for leftovers. I think dollar stores have them, too.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:

I had my first hormone therapy insertion/appointment about 10 days ago. I got my labwork back and I have estrogen dominance. I asked the doc what I could do to get rid of that. She said "NO PLASTIC!!!". Along with some other things I am in the process now of ridding my kitchen of plastic---very hard when all you have to store things in is Tupperware! She said I really needed to get rid of the estrogen dominance since my mom had that type of breast cancer.

Oh, and I have heard of the birth/vaginal canal thing before. My poor kids. I have had 4 children---all c-section babies. No wonder their health is not great!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

@Dawnyama; We use glass bowl to store leftovers in and I sometimes use a plate to put over the top. I have a patten for material covers for bowls but have yet to make any.
Do NOT microwave in plastics or use plastic wrap in the microwave. I have gotten rid of my microwave and we really only missed it for about 1 weeks but it gives off radiation and I don't want the kids to stand in front of it (I always told them their hair would turn green if they stood in front of it )

The vaginal canal thing may have some effect on your daughter??Get kefir and put it in smoothies for her. You can also eat the kefir grains if you have excess. I bet there would be benefit to eating them as well.

Do you have your daughter using coconut oil? Have you heard of oil pulling? Just something to look into.

Will pray for this situation for both you and your daughter.

I have a friend who is a naturopath and he is the one that told me about plastics/estrogens.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Today I spent an hour flavoring and bottling kombucha, creating another batch, combining kefirs and working on my chicken bone broth. It's a whole lot of work, but my extreme sensitivities to laundry products, mold and fake perfumes are less than half of what they were 6 months ago. So, I'm getting my life back, finally. I do have kefir, but have never tried kombucha (at least not yet). I am very interested in trying the bone broth; we raise all our own meat and I asked the butcher to keep bones from our cows, so I have a lot of soup bones. I will have to give it a try. Is there a specific recipe for it or is it the same as the one in Nourishing Traditions?

I mentioned oil pulling? have you tried it? They say it works well. You could find info on the web I am sure. I have a friend who is doing it and has seen great results.

So happy the sensitivities are getting better. You must feel so good.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Today I spent an hour flavoring and bottling kombucha, creating another batch, combining kefirs and working on my chicken bone broth. It's a whole lot of work, but my extreme sensitivities to laundry products, mold and fake perfumes are less than half of what they were 6 months ago. So, I'm getting my life back, finally.

I do have kefir, but have never tried kombucha (at least not yet). I am very interested in trying the bone broth; we raise all our own meat and I asked the butcher to keep bones from our cows, so I have a lot of soup bones. I will have to give it a try. Is there a specific recipe for it or is it the same as the one in Nourishing Traditions?

I mentioned oil pulling? have you tried it? They say it works well. You could find info on the web I am sure. I have a friend who is doing it and has seen great results.

So happy the sensitivities are getting better. You must feel so good.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Sorry for the double post, I don't know how to use the quote thing and messed the first one up
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wifeofEd & all,

We have a thread for the Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet which is very similar to GAPS and has great ideas, if you would like to come share. It is very similar to Nourishing Traditions, all organic & natural foods, though he has added supplemental suggestions through his research.

The link is at the bottom of my siggie. I am really enjoying my BB, coconut kefir, and good nutrition.

Last edited by sunday; 03-14-2013 at 05:18 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #43

Quote:
@Dawnyama; We use glass bowl to store leftovers in and I sometimes use a plate to put over the top. I have a patten for material covers for bowls but have yet to make any.
Do NOT microwave in plastics or use plastic wrap in the microwave. I have gotten rid of my microwave and we really only missed it for about 1 weeks but it gives off radiation and I don't want the kids to stand in front of it (I always told them their hair would turn green if they stood in front of it )

The vaginal canal thing may have some effect on your daughter??Get kefir and put it in smoothies for her. You can also eat the kefir grains if you have excess. I bet there would be benefit to eating them as well.

Do you have your daughter using coconut oil? Have you heard of oil pulling? Just something to look into.

Will pray for this situation for both you and your daughter.

I have a friend who is a naturopath and he is the one that told me about plastics/estrogens.

You are so sweet. Thank you. I have tried and tried to get her to use coconut oil. She will not have the virgin kind, so I "sneak in" the expeller pressed into our whole family's diet. The best way is in soup, however they can see the oil slick. So best in cooked foods! I like the idea of the microwave making hair turn green My doc also said no microwaves. That is a toughie to not do. I use the microwave every day. Good thing I brought my DH to my appointment and heard her say "use glass storage for the kitchen leftovers". He is on board with making THAT switch! When my step-dad was diagnosed with colon cancer, the kids asked how he got it. My answer was "he didn't eat his veggies". Which is completely true I never saw him eat any vegetable unless it was the tomato slice and lettuce slice on his fast food hamburger. Sad to say he succommed to the disease after about 5 or 6 years. The suffering he had at the end was hard to see.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Interesting thread. I've recently decided to become "process-free" after reading The Science of Skinny so I popped into this forum to see if I could find any tips.

I need to look into the process of making bone broth and also the kombucha and kefir. Is Ebay the best place to find starters for those?

A question about the glass storage containers. I've seen those at a lot of stores but almost all of them had plastic lids, are there some that don't?

Thanks
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pam, I believe the Vermont Country Store sells them.

Motherof10, I don't know what the recipe for bone broth is in Nourishing Traditions, which is funny, because I have the book. I just take bones, some with soft tissue like tendons attached and put them in the pot with filtered water. I use the Britta filter. Then add about a half cup of vinegar. I use all different kinds.

I know it's more than most people, but, the more the vinegar, the better the bone broth.

I then simmer on the stove until around 6 PM. I stop at 6 because it takes a few hours for the pot to cool down enough to go into the fridge. I don't want mold in there because of water evaporating from too hot broth.

Next day, skim off fat and simmer again til 6. Do the same thing at night. Then, skim again. The broth should be gelatinous.

I only take out the bones, not the marrow or other soft tissue.

Some people like roasting their bones and say it gives them extra flavor. I really don't see how that can help. It will cook the marrow and harden the other tissue and they won't seep into the broth.
terez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, for the first time in years, I went shopping at a couple of 'toxic' stores for me, and didn't get the headache that I usually do-or did. When I went to a Walgreens or Walmart, or the laundry section of our local grocery store, I would come home, and after a few hours, start sneezing up a storm. Then, a couple hours later, I would get a wicked headache on the top of my head. I would take ibuprofen and aspirin to make it tolerable. Before I started the GAPS diet, the headache would last for a couple of days.

Well, yesterday, I went to a Walgreens and TJ Maxx, as well as two specialty camera stores and Radio Shack, and, last night I noticed I had no headache, and didn't sneeze once.

So, yay! There's progress.

On the other hand, I realized I'm allergic to Trader Joe's spa body lotion. I laid in bed with my heart palpitations for most of the night until I realized the only thing different was the lotion. Got up, washed it off my upper body, put on different clothes and went to sleep. I'm pretty bummed that I'm not farther along in this category of allergies, but at least the symptoms aren't as strong as before.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm noticing a very small, gradual decline in symptoms. This time it was the basement with its dust and mites; I had forgotten to plug in one of the dehumidifiers. But it's done now and I'm fine. I recover a lot faster than I used to.

I started taking a heavy duty probiotic and noticed that some...ahem...bathroom issues disappeared.

I don't have the nerve to do all those whey fermented vegetables, so I stick with my brews and kim chee.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #48

Thanks for keeping us updated terez. Glad you are doing so well!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Dawn. I do updates for the people that visit this thread. I see we have a lot of hits so people are interested more than they're posting.

My "bad" days this week used to be like my "good" days a few months ago. In fact, I'm able to start more art projects whereas I hadn't been able to paint, or even touch up paintings, for a couple of years.

I feel waterlogged with all the bone broth, kombucha, and kefir (one cup each) that I drink every day. But oh, well!

Anyway, thanks for the support, Dawn.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Newest challenge; scented bookmarks. I got really sick last week from a book from the library being soaked in scent and there were others that stunk. And holding those books right under my nose; not a good thing. I e-mailed the library and asked if they a "refreshing program" for books that get returned.

They didn't but asked me to reference specific books that I got and they would find the people responsible and ask them to stop it. If enough books come back from people's houses that way, there would be a pattern.

I didn't know until today people actually bought scented bookmarks. Seems a nice idea, but not for me.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #51

Scented bookmarks????!!! Who'd have think that one?? Wow!!! I had no idea.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Scented bookmarks????!!! Who'd have think that one?? Wow!!! I had no idea.

I guess it's a nice thought, but the scents aren't natural. They smell like they've been dipped in Glade or something. Now, I have to sniff the books before I check them out. I'll have to do it very discreetly.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, now I can report a major breakthrough; no nausea. Not even when I found pink mold in my bathroom, which, even a few months ago, sent me me into a tailspin of nausea. Not today. Plus, with all the construction and dust flying, it's a miracle I feel as well as I do.

Now, all the other symptoms are not gone; I started coughing when I inhaled a friend's synthetic perfume when we were standing outside a few days ago.

I still have the various headaches. I count three different kinds.

I still have GERD like symptoms and it hurts when food like meat is traveling down my esophagus to my stomach. I still burp a lot, although, today, not at all. Maybe it's gone, too.

I feel like I'm the proverbial hysterical female with phantom pain describing all my symptoms, but, with all the hits this thread is getting, I figure there's a lot of interest in my progress.

The GAPS doctor who wrote the book said it take anywhere from 9 months to 3 years to be cured, and it's just about 9 months for the worst of the symptoms to disappear.

I'm very hopeful that, though the rest of spring and summer, all my other symptoms will disappear, too.