Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kemi
Stats: 187/145/140
WOE: HCG
Start Date: April 2012
Honey

Can anyone tell me what would be the best honey to use....something that is low on the glycemic index? Thanks.
Kemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I ran across this:

Quote:
GI of Honey

Honey is a naturally sweet substance produced from nectar by bees. According to the American Dietetic Association, honey is made up of several sugars including fructose, glucose and sucrose. The glycemic index will vary depending on the type of honey you use. Floral honeys tend to have the lowest GIs, so use them to sweeten the foods you eat. According to the Glycemic Index Database, locust honey has a GI of 32, yellow box honey has a GI of 35 and stringy bark honey has a GI of 44. Other honeys release their energy faster and are classed as medium on the glycemic index. These tend to be the commercial blends, clover honey which has a GI of 69 and pure honey which has a GI of 58.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful

I would like to add.... I have a beekeeper! He informs me that most commercial brands are really not honey at all because they have all the pollen removed! He also said that the bee farmers put vats of HFCS in their fields & the bees bring this back to make their honey ~ flower pollen is very lacking in the honey even before it is refined.

So, see if you can find LOCAL honey. If you taste local honey vs commercial there is such a substantial difference in taste & color. I pay more for this local honey (& I am on a fixed income) but the benefit is worth it. Another benefit to local raw honey is it helps with seasonal allergies. Since the bees collect pollen from your local area, you get the benefit from eating it similar to allergy shots. Several doctors in this area buy honey from him and resell it to their patients. 1 TB a day will help build your ammunity to the pollen that is local in your area. Seriously, it works!

Hope this helps!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I agree; if you are going to eat honey it should be local honey.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
honey is pure sugar and will never be low on the glycemic index. you can use the xylitol based honey substitutes, but of course they are not natural foods! best just to enjoy the many foods that are healthier and forget the honey, I would say. good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BABYSTEPS
Stats: 240/181/180 male 5'8.5",wife 230/211/155
WOE: low carb/no wheat
Start Date: Jan 2012
I only use honey on my face.I had a lady give me some nice local honey last Christmas and I don't eat sugar.I didn't want to waste it.
BABYSTEPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I wanted to try just a tsp. of honey at bedtime to see if it helps my morning blood sugars, which tend to run a little high. Supposedly this little bit of glucose/fructose gives the insulin something to work on and reduces stress on the liver, which otherwise causes inflammation and release of stress hormones. It's also supposed to help you sleep. I tried it last night and my FBG was a little higher than the previous one (100 vs. 93 the day before), so I'm not sure it's going to work (and not sure that it should work, but I'm experimenting), but I did sleep very well.

The recommended honey is raw honey, and buckwheat honey is recommended. I found some at WF for way too much money, but splurged anyway. All I can say is YUCK! It does NOT taste very good at all. I think that's good because there's no way I'm going to be tempted to overeat this stuff. I barely made it through the one measured teaspoon--it tastes like bad medicine. I think this definitely would make a better facial scrub than something to ingest!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Try eating pure protein before bed and see if that helps. It was suggested to me by a nurse.
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote