Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gremom
Raw milk?

Anyone here drink raw milk? I can't really do dairy, but many people are telling me to try raw milk. I know it really isn't low carb, but I would really just use it for my protein shakes. And I can get a gallon for the same price as my organic coconut milk.

What benefits have you gottne from it? And does it really taste a ton different than regular milk? I haven't had regular milk in years, so this would be totally new to me. Would love to switch the whole family.

Thank you for any help that you give me!
Gremom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Yes, our family has been drinking raw milk for about 6 years. We now rent a farm where we milk a lovely herd of Jersey Girls. Some of our children drink the milk, some of them just drink the cream and others of us drink the milk kefired. I also use it to make raw milk yogurt, cheese, kefir, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, ice cream, etc.

I prefer to kefir my milk so that it IS low carb. The kefiring process allows the lactose to be greatly reduced because the kefir grains EAT the lactose and infuse the milk with thousands of probiotics making the milk similar to a drinkable yogurt on steroids!

Our family has experience better over all health since drinking raw milk. My kids used to be sick all the time with ear infections, sinus gunk, you name it. Within a couple months of switching over to raw milk our over all health improved and has continued to the more and more we get bad foods out of our diet and replace them with whole, deeply nourishing foods.

Hope you have a chance to find some in your local area... if you do... look for Jersey's or other smaller bread cows over Holsteins... Jerseys produce a much nicer creamier milk and more nutrient dense. IMO! (well science has proven that Jersey milk from grass fed cows is superior to Holstein..... so it isn't just MO!.... do research on A1 milk verses A2 milk) Make sure the cows you are getting your milk from are not fed antibiotics, hormones or given steroids for greater milk output. AND if you can find cows that are ONLY fed grass then you will have found liquid gold! Finding grass fed ONLY cows is tough... we are the only grass fed ONLY herd in our area. Most feed grass AND grain which produces a different end product.. not as nutrient dense.

Sorry... probably more than you really wanted to know.

Blessings,
Shirley -- Phase 3 -- Total hcg loss: 88.8 pounds in 3 rounds totaling 145 VLCD days!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Shirley! The more info the better! I may be able to go to a farm tomorrow which also has grass fed beef!

So is there really a HUGE difference in taste? I hear there is some getting used to it. I want to make yogurt with it too. What is your recipe, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

It will taste much creamier than you are used to especially if you used to be a skim milk drinker. Some milks taste strong. Ours gets a stronger taste when the cows are out on pasture for the first time in the spring. But honestly... it just tastes like milk.. probably the best mouth feel you'll ever get with milk. Most folks who try our raw milk are shocked as to how lovely it is. You'll have to shake your jar each time you go to drink it or you'll only get cream at first then end up with skim at the last of the jar. Also make sure that if it is warm in your area that you take a cooler to the farm with freezer packs or ice if you have to travel or have other errands to run. If that milk gets warm it will spoil VERY quickly b/c it has not been pasteurized and homogenized.

Grass fed beef... the VERY best!! Ours is 100% grass fed, from birth to death.. most grass fed farms still feed some grain... but get what you can. Once again grass fed WITH grain is 100% better than grain fed only!!

I think there is a Greek Yogurt thread somewhere in the hcg forum.. I posted one of my recipes there... here is another one that I've been making this past week.. it might actually be the same one.. I copied and pasted this from my blog. I'm not able to post my blog addy b/c I link to places that sell products that I enjoy which is against this forums policy, so forgive the copy & paste below:

The batch of Greek Yogurt I made this week has turned out to be the very best, creamiest, thickest yet! If you enjoy Greek Yogurt and want to try to make it on your own here is the recipe I use. You first start with a base yogurt recipe, then you strain it, it is the straining of the whey that makes it "Greek". So if all you want is regular yogurt then don't hang it/strain it and you have a wonderful fatty yogurt.

Yogurt Recipe

1 quart cream (raw farm fresh or whipping cream)
1 quart whole milk (raw farm fresh or pasteurized)
1/4 cup (rounded) prepared Greek yogurt or plain yogurt (I used fage total for the last couple batches and it had a lovely taste)

1. Heat the milk and cream to 110 degrees. Remove from heat as soon as it reaches the correct temperature.
2. Whisk in the prepared yogurt. Stir very well.
3. Pour hot milk/cream mixture into clean jars. Screw on the lids.
4. Place jars in your oven with the oven light on.
5. Allow jars of yogurt to incubate in the oven with the light on for 12-24 hours. The longer the better. The longer it ferments the more reduced the lactose sugars are.
6. If you do NOT want to make this yogurt into "Greek Yogurt" refrigerate it until use.

Greek Yogurt
1 yogurt recipe
muslin cloth
colander
pan or bowl larger enough to suspend the colander

1. Line your colander with muslin cloth. Please note: cheesecloth will NOT work. You must have a muslin bag or muslin cloth. Muslin cloth can be purchased from any fabric store for about $2 per yard. Buy a whole yard so you can cut the muslin the size you want it for straining.
2. Place the colander over a bowl or pot so that it is suspended. You want to have it suspended so the whey can drip. You do not want your colander sitting in the bowl or the yogurt will will be sitting in the whey.
3. Poor the yogurt into the muslin lined colander.
4. Place the bowl/colander in the refrigerator.
5. Every 4 hours or so, take a scraper or spoon and scrape the sides of the cloth around the base of the colander especially. Do not stir the yogurt, just scrape it away from the sides gently. This last batch is the first that I scraped the bowl about every 4 hours throughout the straining time. You will want to strain the yogurt for about 12 hours or until all the whey has stopped dripping. I didn't scrape it during the night, but I did scrape it down right before bed, then again when I got up in the morning. I think that scraping the thickened yogurt off the sides of the muslin allowed for more whey to drain out of the yogurt. Please note: If you make a double, triple or quadruple batch (like I did) you will want to strain the yogurt for a minimum of 24 hours and scrape it a few times so that an optimum amount of whey will drain. I think it is harder to get a nice Greek yogurt when you do large batches. Scraping the muslin is the key to a GREAT yogurt when doing large batches. By large I mean 1 gallon of cream and 1 gallon of milk.
6. When the yogurt is nice and thick. Scoop it into a container. Lay the muslin on your counter and scrape off all the thick creamy yogurt that is stuck to it. Be sure to rinse your cloth very well immediately or it may not clean up well by the time you get around to washing it with your laundry.

Miscellaneous Information:

I do not know how long this recipe will last. This summer we had one batch make it about 10 days. If you are using pasteurized milk and cream I expect yours might last at least a couple weeks... if you don't eat it all by then. The milk and cream I use is raw and stays raw since I do not heat it above 110 degrees, so it does not last as long.

If you do not want to use a colander to drain your yogurt, you can tie up the ends of the muslin around a wooden spoon that is suspended above a pot or bowl, then put it in the refrigerator like that. You might not get as thick of a yogurt because you will not be able to easily scrape the sides of the cloth, so the middle of the yogurt batch in the middle of the sack/bag will be runnier.

I've had people ask me about adding sweeteners and flavorings. You can add sweetener or flavorings to your yogurt right after you heat the milk/cream. Add it when you add your yogurt starter. If you plan to make Greek yogurt I would not recommend adding sweetener until you are ready to eat it. Some of your sweetener will come out in the whey. How much sweetener you ask? If you are making a 2 quart batch you can use 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup, or organic sugar. OBVIOUSLY these sweeteners are not for those on phase 3 but your family would REALLY enjoy them! You may use your favorite phase 3 compliant sweeter. Just stir in some and taste it to see if it is as sweet as you might like it. Remember that as it ferments it will get tart. If you want to add vanilla flavoring or any other type of flavoring use 2 tsp per 2 quart batch.

Whey is a power food too. You can add it to your smoothies or use it to ferment fruits and veggies. For more information on using whey you can reference the Weston A Price site or see the many recipes in Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I know there are many that blog that also use fermented foods. I'm sure if you did a Google search for fermenting vegetables with whey you will find many recipes that you can try. Whey can be added to homemade mayonnaise to extend it's shelf life.

Last edited by shirleychef; 03-06-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Old 03-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks again, Shirley for all of that info. I got it today and it is so good. Just so fresh and doesn't have that milk aftertaste. I don't know how else to describe how the taste is better.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Yeah... I'm so glad you like it!!! Now you'll have to get a hold of some REAL live kefir grains and try kefiring some of your raw milk. Kefir has a lot more probiotics than yogurt so it is very beneficial for the digestive system. Mine love the raw milk!! My family drinks a 1/2 gallon + of kefir a day on most days.

If you aren't familiar with kefir do a google search for Dom's Kefir site... there is more info on Dom's site than you will ever want to know about kefir! Kefir is like a drinkable yogurt on steroids!

Enjoy your milk... and I liked your description! It goes down smooth and leave such a pleasant sweet aftertaste.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
OMG, shirleychef, I am jealous! How many cows do you have?
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I don't know.. Ha Ha... we have 12 on the milk line and some that are dry b/c they will be freshening within then next weeks to couple of months. Maybe 15-16??? I usually only keep track of those we milk daily. We usually have 10 - 12 on the line at a time due to rotating out the ones that are due to have their calves. I think we feed about 20 cattle with the bull and steers that we raise for meat.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I also am a raw milk fan but I milk goats. I also make goat milk kefir and when the kids are weaned in another month I will start making goat milk yogurt again. I love raw milk products.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

adi, I've seen you over in the JUDDD groups. Do you use your goat product on Up days only or have you been able to guess close enough on the calories to use them on Down Days too?? I'm starting JUDDDing and some of the foods I want to enjoy daily I'm finding hard to get a good cal count on. I make my own kefir, I'm just counting whole milk amount for cals (enjoying a Kefir green smoothie right now)?? I also make my own Greek Yogurt but since I use 1/2 raw cream and 1/2 raw milk and I don't heat it higher than 110 to keep it raw, I have no idea how to count the calories. I cannot go off the milk/cream amounts only b/c I strain it into Greek. UGHH! I think I'll just keep my GY for up days.

We started with Goats then borrowed a Jersey cow and I fell in LOVE with Jersey milk! My hubby still would like to do goats again someday, he enjoyed their personalities.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

I agree that goats have the personality.
I am only using milk products on UD's right now. I am not sure I will ever try them on DD's. The calories just add up so fast.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
I was intrigued by this thread....I love milk and of course I can't have in while I'm on low carb. But....apparently raw milk is illegal in TN. I plan to start making kefir and greek yogurt soon, and was hoping to use raw milk but alas.....sigh. I guess I'll make do with what I buy in the store!
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

I found raw milk! Here in TN it is labeled as "pet food"....only suitable for animals because it's illegal for humans to consume raw milk.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsetrainer110 View Post
I found raw milk! Here in TN it is labeled as "pet food"....only suitable for animals because it's illegal for humans to consume raw milk.
It is labeled pet milk here in NC too. It is a loop hole that works!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

You can legally sell raw milk as pet food in Texas too BUT it is supposed to be tinted. (I think it is blue tint)
Old 03-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
You can legally sell raw milk as pet food in Texas too BUT it is supposed to be tinted. (I think it is blue tint)
That's just plain wrong on so many levels!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coleslaw
WOE: Low carb aim for 50g carbs daily max
Start Date: 2009
I looked up the position in the UK. In Scotland, it is prohibited to sell raw untreated milk and has been since 1983. In England and Wales, farmers may sell it direct to the public after getting a licence from DEFRA (Department for Environment, Farming and Rural Affairs). The milk has to be labelled showing that it hasn't been heat treated and may contain harmful micro-organisms. Raw milk cannot be sold in shops, supermarkets, hotels, restaurants etc.

The grass fed v grain fed debate has me confused. AFAIK all dairy cows in the UK live outdoors during the summer eating grass and live loose in barns during the winter eating hay or silage (made from grass) and cattle cake (pellets of concentrated vitamins etc).

After BSE (caused by ground up dead sheep with scrapie being put in concentrates), all beef cattle are slaughtered before 30 months old. As calves, beef cattle calves now generally stay with their mothers on grass pasture in summer but I'm not sure what they're fed on in winter. Need to check.
Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TropicalSerenade
Stats: 212/205/130
Start Date: April 14, 2012
I am very interested in raw milk as well, and Shirley I see you are in South Central WI, as am I. I'm new to the area and signed up for a CSA with a local farm, etc, but they don't do dairy there. I'm not even sure how to go about getting fresh dairy/raw milk! I'm mainly Atkins but will throw in the odd HCG round here and there and was saddened to hear that our local apple crop for this year might be harmed from this funky weather this year!

__________________________________________________ _____________

-Larissa
TropicalSerenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalSerenade View Post
I am very interested in raw milk as well, and Shirley I see you are in South Central WI, as am I. I'm new to the area and signed up for a CSA with a local farm, etc, but they don't do dairy there. I'm not even sure how to go about getting fresh dairy/raw milk! I'm mainly Atkins but will throw in the odd HCG round here and there and was saddened to hear that our local apple crop for this year might be harmed from this funky weather this year!

__________________________________________________ _____________

-Larissa
This Wisconsin weather has been NUTZO!! My apple tree's are blooming and last night was wicked cold... I didn't see frost... so maybe they will survive.

Which CSA did you join? I know a few of the CSA folks in our area... one lives right next door to me.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TropicalSerenade
Stats: 212/205/130
Start Date: April 14, 2012
We joined Ridgeland Harvest for CSA. Wanted one that delivered to Epic for the convenience. Can't wait until June for our boxes of goodies to start!
TropicalSerenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I love the CSA model. I do a worker share at my neighbors and trade milk for another 1/2 share... plus I do my own garden. BUT my own garden is mainly for quantity things that I freeze and can. I have 6 children and we try to raise or get locally everything for our family in the way of veggies, meat, & milk. Fruit I get from local Amish or orchards if we don't grow it ourselves.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Loving the raw milk I've been drinking for 2 weeks. Received my kefir grains from a kind soul and started making that this week too!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

WAHOO!!!

Renee... how has your weight been?? Stable or losing a bit. If I remember correctly you were concerned about adding in the dairy due to the natural carbs/sugars/lactose.

The kefir will obviously have less carbs. Remember, when adding kefir it can have a detoxifying, cleansing effect... so back off on your consumption if you find yourself running to the loo lots.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

I've been Juddding for almost 2 weeks, while having my milk every other day, and I've lost 6 lbs!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

WAHOOO!!!

Guess the JUDDD magic is working and your body enjoy's raw milk & kefir!! DOUBLE Yeah!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Love this discussion. We raise grass-fed beef, and my MIL milks one of her grass fed cows, so we enjoy raw milk too (or at least my family does). I am allergic to milk. I knew I was lactose intolerant, and just found out in Feb I am also allergic to whey and milk protein. My symptoms are mostly silent (inflammation). But prior to finding out, I was able to drink raw milk without the stomach upset that came from drinking store milk.

We have lots of Mennonite dairies around, but none of them are grass-fed. There's one we pass by on the way to town and I feel sorry for those poor cows. They spend their entire life on a dirt lot adjacent to their milking barn and are fed twice a day.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GreytMuse
Stats: 205.5/150/150 (5'5" - 49 yo!)
WOE: Atkins Induction (low carb+low calorie)
Start Date: May 14, 2012
Forgive the bump and slight hijack lol

My husband drinks only raw milk (local!) and we've found an awesome family nearby that sells grass-fed beef. It's only a little more expensive than grain-fed, but the taste and health benefits make up for it. We are in heaven!

Thank you for the yogurt recipe, shirleychef, we've been talking about making our own for some time now!

Edit to add: Raw milk is not illegal in Texas, you just have to buy it directly from the dairy. We've purchased from 3 different farms and I have never seen it tinted. It is illegal for grocery stores to sell raw milk, but Texas stores can sell raw milk cheese for some reason..?

Last edited by GreytMuse; 05-18-2012 at 10:23 AM..
GreytMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I was happy to see this thread.

I eliminated all dairy recently with the exception of organic butter (better bad choice). I am pretty sure I have food sensitivities.

I may be looking for a local source for raw/unpasteurized/unhomogenized/for pet consumption only dairy later in the summer. I was wondering about taste, too.

I am not a milk drinker but I used to use half & half in my coffee and some recipes. I ate cheese, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, etc. Eliminating dairy left a large hole that I am struggling to fill with other healthy foods.

The eggs I buy at the Farmers Market are "for pet consumption only." lol...
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Maid of Erin
Stats: Ginormous/Ridunkulous/Awesomesauce
WOE: Whole Food Atkins
Start Date: April 2006
We have our own cow and enjoy raw Jersey milk. Raw milk is amazing. The taste is so much better. No more store bought for me.
Maid of Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lesscarbs
Have you tried almond milk? It has lots of fiber as well as calcium, Vitamin A, and iron.
lesscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote