Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alvysyngr
How many carbs in kefir? Make it lower carb?

I am about to make my first batch of milk kefir (waiting for the grains) but am curious on the carb count? If I add 8 oz of organic whole milk is it the same amount of carbs after the first 24-36 hours? I heard a replacement for the milk in kefir can be coconut milk - have you guys tried this?

To make it lower carb can I add half and half, heavy cream, etc?

I am living a Primal Low Carb lifestyle and feel the kefir would add a lot to my diet.

thanks all!
alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Don't know if it's scientific, but basedon several different accounts, whe I ferment my kefir the first time, then I let it sit on teh counter a bit longer, a second ferment, I count only half the carbs, cause i figure a lot of the lactose is broken down and some of the sugars are used and some remain ( actually mine is so tart and sour I wonder if ANY sugar remains, but I am crazy and drink my curdled and fizzy LOL) But It's not the same count as plain milk so.... you might be able to find more accurate info onthe different site like Dom's Kefir making site...Google it and he has lot's of details. I think that's where I got my guess.

Good luck and hope you love it!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alvysyngr
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Don't know if it's scientific, but basedon several different accounts, whe I ferment my kefir the first time, then I let it sit on teh counter a bit longer, a second ferment, I count only half the carbs, cause i figure a lot of the lactose is broken down and some of the sugars are used and some remain ( actually mine is so tart and sour I wonder if ANY sugar remains, but I am crazy and drink my curdled and fizzy LOL) But It's not the same count as plain milk so.... you might be able to find more accurate info onthe different site like Dom's Kefir making site...Google it and he has lot's of details. I think that's where I got my guess.

Good luck and hope you love it!
Thanks for the advice - I figured it would depend on the length of fermentation and I agree, if it is eating up the sugar how much can be left over?

Can't wait to get started but I think I will try the coconut method once the grains start forming into a few tbs
alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I've heard it can ferment coconut milk just fine, but it won't survive in it long so it has to be rested in plain milk for a spell to refresh them or they will shrivel and die eventually.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
I just found out from a cultured food site that home cultured plain kefir contains 1g of cabrs per serving. They didn't say how much a serving but I presume it to be 8oz. Even it it is 4pz that would still make it onlt 2g.
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote