Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Let's see, Dom says milk kefir should be strained when it reaches a pH of 4.5

For whole milk one day 2F kefir, I would probably stay with the protein and fat listed on the carton, but cut the carbs in half. That would go along with Dom saying that lactose is reduced by about 50%, and most of the carbs in milk is sugar. Carbs should decrease even more after second fermentation for a few days.

My sister was telling me many whole milks in the supermarket may contain less fat than listed on the label since milk producers seem to be skimming a little of the fat off even what they call whole milk to use for other products.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #242
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/138.1/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
NOOOOO!!!! Those Bloody Thieves!!!

Thanks Porcupine ( I so wanna shorten it to Porc, but would that be rude? )
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
U two Are just too funny
Thanks again Porcupine!

I see the men in the white coats coming.... HIDE!!!!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #244

Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Where did you go! That was fast! Faster than a speeding bullet!

(& where did you find that critter still looking for pepperette's little scoby in the jar)
Old 10-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Ph

Tested some milk last night & it was about 8

Kefir in fridge was about 4

I don't like these test strips cause I can't determine the color wvey well. I will go to Adelle's & get some different ones maybe this week.

I may get a meter someday-after I gather my pennies to pay the electrician his 3 grand to fix my wireing
Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #247

Wow, Kefir is pretty Low. I didn't expect that!

Sorry you have wiring problems. BF's house is wired with ALUMINUM. Can you believe that?! Have NO idea how much it would cost to replace ti all but it's a lot. Was told not to put any heavy loads on it. Sheesh! Aluminum wires!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

I can hang with eectric the way it is- not aluminum but just not wnough service for a Techy family of 5 to move in with me next year- my son & his family moving in to get out of debt & buy a better house than they are in (neighborhood has changed) . One batheoom isn't great but then the guys can go out back to the creek-daddy has been doing this since he was 4.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-09-2011 at 08:12 AM..
Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
I can hang with eectric the way it is- not aluminum but just not wnough service for a Techy family of 5 to move in with me next year- my son & his family moving in to get out of debt & buy a better house than they are in (neighborhood has changed) . One batheoom isn't great but then the guys can go out back to the creek-daddy has been doing this since he was 4.
Men! . . . and Dogs!

About to go have some super fizzy Kefir and add it to my ****** as milk with half carbs. I think I can accept that. Especially since it's been 3 days now since the 1F.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

OH yea! The grandog is coming too!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Rootbeer WK

My roootbeer was quite succcessful this weekend but AGAIN it had lost some sweetness. I took care of this by adding Truvia to the glass (if added 1st it caused intense foaming & loss of carbonnation-after worked a little better). I don't need the extra sweetnrss but the kiddos liked it better.

Now I want to explain, these kids get to pig out on candy twice a year (Halloween & Easter) otherwise it is limited. It was the "taste" we were looking for.

When I got to the bottom of the 2 ltr I found almost 1/4 cup pf WKG! I had put 2 small ones in the 2ltr bottle to ensure fizz but in no way expected thrm to grow.

So my VERDICT - a great experiment but plan on making this no more than a week for 2F before drinking. I still want to get some flavorings from Bed Bath & Beyond. It has the sugar in it & might be just the ticket for the 2F ~ unless it has HFCS that is.

And I am thinking (after I flushed the RBWKG) although KG & SCOBYs are wonderful colonies of bacteria & yeast ~ they will if the temp is right continue to XX since most homes flush a lot of things with sugar down the drain (tea, drinks, milk, fruit etc-depends if a garbage disposer is used) I don't think adding them or the products produced in any quantity would be a terrific idea ~ mulch pile would be better. Most homes use bleach in some form during the month which may kill the grains but they would be better disposed of to continue to serve us deposited on/on the earth outsiide. My opinion
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Porc is fine, sometimes people call the porcupine porky too. For second fermented kefir after some days the carbs (almost typed crabs instead of carbs, I don't think those would be good in kefir!), would be even less than 50%. But 50% should be a safe # to use.

Something ate all the bitter second ferment I dumped. The first day some of it was gone. I just went out to check and now it is all gone. The thing that concerns me a little is that the grass is pretty much dead under the spot where I poured it. Maybe the organisms started eating the grass?

Going to the creek for the potty sounds like fun. This guy at work was telling me his wife told him that their son needed to use the bathroom really bad while they were out, so she pulled over to the side of the road and let him go there. Now every time they go somewhere in the car he keeps asking if they can pull over so he can go to the bathroom because he thought it was so much fun.

Aluminum wire was a bad idea; fortunately they got rid of it eventually. Aluminum oxidizes at the connection points to the outlets, etc., then under load, it gets hot and starts fires. The heat produced actually increases as a square of the power drawn, so if for example you had a 100 watt light bulb plugged in, and then plugged in another 100 watt light bulb for 200 watts total load, the heat produced would at the aluminum wire connections increase by four times.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #253

Oh Yikes, I guess he'd better start saving up for a complete rewire of the whole darned house!

Thanks for the kefir info, I'll use half carbs as a good average since I add fresh kefir to it each day.

that's funny about the grass being dead but the brew being all gone!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

If I remember thhe kefir was about 4 so it was on the adid side.. Maybe grass doesn't like the acidity maybe an experiment with vinegar on grass? I have some regular thet is 5% maybe wjen this week is over I will try some & see.

Went to start my lawn tractor today & it just turns over but doesn't firw. It will be weeks before Rob can look @ it... Amost ran battery down trying to start it... Does this EVERY time I don't use it for a while. When I get it started I willl habe to go out EVERY WEEK during the winter & start it! UGH!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-10-2011 at 01:16 PM..
Old 10-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #255

Oh What a bother. I recall mom "winterizing" the lawn machine, i guess that's why. though I've no idea what Winterizing does exactly.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

Doesn't matter if I winterize it still had to be started. My daughter bought this for me so I can't complain - just frustrating- would ratehr have a Scott or Husquerverna! But Murray will have to do... Just need to get it going SOON!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

I found out what was causing my bitter kefir by doing tests. It was the pineapple. That makes it super bitter. The gogi berries do get a little bitter but not like the pineapple. The figs and raisins were fine. The rose hips will get a little bitter after about 4 days.

I'm having trouble with a tractor too. I really need to get it started to do some brush hogging. It's a 1950's Ford tractor and it does the same thing, it will crank all day but to get it stay running hmmmmmm well that would be nice.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Rob, bless his heart,is going to look @ it Thurs. He is so busy I didn't want to ask but the neighbor didn't answer my txt. He & Kristina got it 4 me when mine went out-he told me he was the warranty on it. Maybe it will start tomorrow & he won't have to come out.

I am going to strain my lemon peal right now! I really need to write down when I do things like this!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #259

Well, i'm kinda stuck.

I'm not supposed to use chlorinated water for the WK

BUT!

I'm not supposed to use Charcoal filtered (Brita) water cause it doesn't have the minerals the Kefir Needs to grow properly.

So 'eck, what do I do? Tap has chlorine but I use a Filter picture for drinking. Will I have to Boil Tap water every time I want to make the WK?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

NO!!!! Just use your filtered water - I do!!! Add a pinch of plain sea salt or other salt with minerals and/or a oinch of baking soda! Keeps them happy!

ALSO, For those of you that heat your water to disolve your sugar, just put the sugar in the water & give it a good stir. If it isn't ice cold it should disolve in a minute. Big time saver!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #261

Thanks Faithful!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Broke a few of the dehydrated dates from the Asian Market & put them in WK last week. Result was very good... Had a light taste of date- not overpowering! Worth doung again!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Do you think addition of trace minerals to the water for kombucha would be useful?

The dates sound great!

The 'super strain' is complete and just about ready to ship. It just needs another couple batches to finish settling in. The acetone smell from the dominant yeasts in the first few batches is gone. It contains grains sourced from 6-7 different sources. Some are getting enormous already!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #264

Dunno. My kombucha goes through phases but mostly cause I forget to feed it.
the scoby seems to survive though... and revive when I do feed it.

That's fascinating about your Super Strain. Soon you'll stop posting and National News will report a Giant Frothing Living Cauliflower like Creature taking over New York!

I've neglected my Kefir, and my 2F turned Cheesy looking and my 1F was overdue. I almost couldn't get the lid off of the 2F it was so carbonated. I ended up Homogenizing the 2F cause I don't want any Kefir cheese right now. I poured the liquid through a strainer and used a silicon spatula to press the large curds through the fine mesh, and stirred that liquid fat back into the liquid whey. I did it three times and got a smooth consistency again. Poured half into a small plastic milk bottle for fridge and the rest went back into the 2F jar with the new 1F kefir. It still tasted great but a bit sharper for having set longer.

I'm JUDDDing now so I keep a very low calorie day so I can only have my Full Fat Kefir on Up Days. But I saw something interesting on Wikipedia on MCT and disease treatment. For malabsorptive illnessess one of the treatments was MCT oil blended with twice it's volume of skimmed milk, chilled and served as beverage. I wonder if I could Kefir skim milk to get the probioticness of it and add MCT oil for a probiotic MCT Milk. It would be essentially "Fat Free" since Medium Chain Triglycerides don't require Bile digestion and MCT is directly absorbed and burned as fuel not stored like fat.

It' will probably taste like Ack, but it's on my list of wacky experiments. Right now the only MCT Oil I have tastes like butter so it'll have to wait till I can do a Netrition order for plain MCT oil.

I just reset my WK. 1st batch was fizzy , second batch wasn't, I need to research more about 2Fing Water Kefir. I don't add sugar or any thing sweet to my 2F Kombucha, but WK is a different creature. It doesn't really get sharp like Kombucha does it. So I'm not sure where the ripe tasting level should be. there are no commercial variations of WK to use as a base line so I'll just have to work it out for myself and the guys who might be drinking it.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 10-12-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

If you want WK to fizz it needs food. So you can 24 1F & tight lid 2F for several days. Adding sweet fruit to the 2F accomplishes the same thing on a 48 1F. The dried dates were after 48 1F and it was very carbonated. Woul have been more so had I let it 2F longer. (2Fing doesn't look right ) seems like the longer the 2F with WK in an air tight bottle the greater carbonation. Tart cherry concentrate popped like champaign & tasted like it too from what I can remember from my younger years.

Trace minerals are not necessary in KT and may harm it. MK does not need it - only WK.

WK is such an interesting organism. In that you can drink it flat like in tea or lemonaid & fizzy. You can add a tough of sugar to 2F if you want after grains come out. Remember rootbeer experiment? I added sugar & had 2 tiny grains to assure carbonation. Ofer the 3 weeks I played with it they XXed tremendously in number & size. I sent them to the septic tank but should have put them in a MK fruit & protein shake.

I don't know what MCT OIL is... & yes you can Kefir skim milk... I usw 2% but have switched to skim. It is not as thick but just as nourishing.

Great save on the MKG- FF milk will make problems like that less dense.

I finally got to the bottom of all my kefir & am ready to reload so the grains both USMKG + TMKG are fermenting tonight!

BTW I have only had the sulphur smell wfom the WKG when they were rehydrating. I finally got sick of it & them not XXing so I ordered live ones - the ones I "gift" they are XXing faster than rabbits!

My TMKG are finally PEA size! So cool to have watched them grow and reproduce (although I sisnt actually see them in action-only the end results)

Going back to sleep! Nitey nite all!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
If you want WK to fizz it needs food. So you can 24 1F & tight lid 2F for several days. Adding sweet fruit to the 2F accomplishes the same thing on a 48 1F. The dried dates were after 48 1F and it was very carbonated. Woul have been more so had I let it 2F longer. (2Fing doesn't look right ) seems like the longer the 2F with WK in an air tight bottle the greater carbonation. Tart cherry concentrate popped like champaign & tasted like it too from what I can remember from my younger years.

Trace minerals are not necessary in KT and may harm it. MK does not need it - only WK.

WK is such an interesting organism. In that you can drink it flat like in tea or lemonaid & fizzy. You can add a tough of sugar to 2F if you want after grains come out. Remember rootbeer experiment? I added sugar & had 2 tiny grains to assure carbonation. Ofer the 3 weeks I played with it they XXed tremendously in number & size. I sent them to the septic tank but should have put them in a MK fruit & protein shake.

I don't know what MCT OIL is... & yes you can Kefir skim milk... I usw 2% but have switched to skim. It is not as thick but just as nourishing.

Great save on the MKG- FF milk will make problems like that less dense.

I finally got to the bottom of all my kefir & am ready to reload so the grains both USMKG + TMKG are fermenting tonight!

BTW I have only had the sulphur smell wfom the WKG when they were rehydrating. I finally got sick of it & them not XXing so I ordered live ones - the ones I "gift" they are XXing faster than rabbits!

My TMKG are finally PEA size! So cool to have watched them grow and reproduce (although I sisnt actually see them in action-only the end results)

Going back to sleep! Nitey nite all!
Thanks for the WK tips. I'll try the add a touch of sugar or fruit juic and the little straggler grains that get stuck in the sieve mesh.

Wow on you TMKG being so Big!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

The WK recipes sound good! I'll have to get mine back out of resting in the fridge. Yes mine did XX like crazy! They were in a 1/2 gallon jar and over several batches there is a good entire quart of grains in there!

I like when the MK 2F goes cheesy. In mine, out of a gallon after about 4 days, I get a good 4 - 6 cups of what is similar to cottage cheese on top. That is so delicious. Then in the middle is the clearish liquidy stuff (whey I assume). And on the bottom are several cups of finer fat globules that are good, but seem to get slightly bitter.

Usually I shake the whole thing at least twice a day to keep any mold or stuff from taking hold in the lid or sides of the jar. I don't screw the lid down tight for the 2F, tight enough to keep air from freely entering, but loose enough to allow the gas to escape if the pressure starts to build.

The super strain is doing something interesting. I believe some of the grains from the different sources are joining together and forming interesting shapes. Faithful I should be able to send you some of the super strain on Monday or Tuesday. Metqa if you want to try some of the 'super strain' just let me know and I'll send some out!

The super strain contains the USMKG from Faithful, the TMKG I got from a woman who says she got it 300 miles south of Moscow about 25 years ago, some that a gentlemen said he just brought back from a recent visit with his family in Ukraine who has had the grains for 50 years, some large grains from someone in Colorado raising them in raw milk, and a couple other sources. They were each cultured separately for a few batches until the acetone like smell went away, and then combined all together.

The goal of the super strain was to get as many bacteria, yeasts, and other organisms together into one grain, in case any particular grain suffered a loss of one or more over the years.

Last edited by porcupine73; 10-13-2011 at 07:50 AM..
Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

You are such an experimenter! Will welcome some SSMKG I keep mine separate so I will be able to determine the difference in taste! Thank you 4 sending them. I put my USMKG in FF milk & the texture was so different! Going to use up my gallon of milk then go back to 2%. Whole milk is great & half n half is terrific but I guess it is 2% for me. & now after trying the lemon & other flavors except chocolate, I am going to stick with plain then I can add my fruit & whey into smoothies. No point in making flavors when I can change the taste depending on my mood.

P73, I got your box out yesterday (Wed).. Maybe it will be there on Fri.

Got to start painting! I have all the prep work finished and the Wildcat Blue is waiting ~ every time my round-to-it starts rollung the FM puts my pain level on 11 & I have to wait! Tired of this game! I have 2 hours B4 I have to go back to doggie day care & I don't feel like doing either! Maybe I will see if the mower will start & then I can be outside while I feel like what I clean up in the morning & it will make me better. I finally got EVERYTHING I need & don't have to go to town tomorrow like 2day so I should be able to get all the blue finished & the masking tape pulled in 6 hours! Yeah-tomorrow! That will be better! At least I made a decision! Thanks for helping me make one...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #269

Got my fingers cross for the lawnmower starting.
I'm starting to think of trying a fizzy Chocolate milk kefir. it's so fizzy it'd be like a carbonated chocolate shake. I might add my whey protein powder to it.

Porcupine, It's tempting, but I think I'll wait. I'm still trying to get the hang of the MK thing. and the WK thing.

Okay, this morning I finally separated my grains. They filled a 4 oz glass!! I took half and put it in a small jar with fresh milk and the other half went back in with the same amount of milk I usually use. It should kefir much more slowly now.

Did I mention that with 1/2 the carb gone from fermentation, Whole Milk Kefir is almost exactly the perfect ratio for EFGT?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

It sounds like your grains are really XX'ing nicely!

Have you guys heard of Yakult drink? I was just reading about it in the book The Raw Milk Revolution. It says in 1935 this cat Minoru Shirota in Japan isolated a strain of lactic acid bacteria that could pass into the intestines (living through the acidic environment of the stomach). He incorporated this bacteria into Yakult drink.

Half the carbs gone is very nice indeed!

The painting sounds like it is coming along well. I have some stubborn lawnmowers, and usually a shot of starter fluid in the air intake will help them get going. Don't use starter fluid with the air filter removed though since if it backfires it can burn you and start a small fire.