Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #961
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Mine separates all the time, (but I use goat's milk) and when it does, I just get out a rubber spatula and mix it up again, and it gets all foamy and just perfect. Then I strain out the grains and refrigerate. I'm too chicken to flavor and do a 2nd ferment, but I do that with kombucha.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #962
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I had some store bought kefir ( not as good as homemade, and too sweet) But they had some yummy flavors of strawberry, blueberry and pomegranate. I guess I can just make smoothies.

Oh,... Yeah, I'm gonna nix that second ferment thing cause I just remembered what happened when I made a smoothie with fruit then put it in the fridge till later to drink. It went ballistic in my mini fridge. I guess too much extra sugar all whizzed up gave it too much food. I remember now! LOL maybe I'll save the 2F for Kombucha and just make my smoothies on the spot.

I kefired some cream but forgot to chill it yesterday ( the 2nd day on the counter). It was already thick and extra creamy but I got distracted and left the house and forgot. I checked it this morning and it had gone from super thick to separated. I strained out the grains and put the lumpy liquid in my bullet and whizzed it back together. I'm glad I didn't make butter. It seems fine now.

So, what am I gonna do with it now? Haha, the first time I kefired cream was to make it a more stabilized whipped cream product, but I don't know if it will whip up now that it separated. I guess I'll use it on some tacos.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #963
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I just got my new grains! Never asking others to watch my grains, scobys or other live cultures.... Obviously they aren't as good to them as I am, LOL!

So will do a couple of regular ferments first, to get the grains going properly, and then will have a go at culturing some cream...

Metqa, LOL on your cream story, you'll have to let us know if it still works as whipping cream!

I just got a nice batch of kombucha as well, but I'm a bit apprehensive to drink too much, as I'm being quite strict with my carbs at the moment... Had some yesterday evening, and my scales showed a slight gain. This could of course be because I newly discovered zucchini spaghetti, and ate way too much of that with homemade pesto, LOL!

ETA: I just had a thought: I could make a lovely green smoothy out of kefir and all the nice herbs I'm growing in the garden....

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #964
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Teazel
I'm having fun experimenting with the 2F's. I've decided I like doing the 2F's in the refrigerator. They thicken up there, where the 2Fs on the counter were thinner.

My 1 day 2F was really thick, my 2 day 2F was thinner and more bubbly. I'm considering combining 1/2 1 day and 1/2 2 day for my morning drink. Do you think I should keep them separate until drinking or would it be okay to combine them in the fridge for the second day?

So far I've used crushed cardamom, peaches and blackberries with my 2F ferments. I think I have some ginger root and might use that. Also got my raw milk in (finally) so starting to use that.

Thank you all for the many years of accumulated wisdom here.
Teazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #965
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Mimosa

Where can I purchase grains? I am making kefir from a friends bottle
and it will only go for about 5-6 times and then it's over.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #966

I don't know about purchasing grains, but if you find kefir groups, many people are willing to give away excess grains for shipping. They keep growing and multiplying so there's always someone willing to part with some. You might even find someone near your home from whom you could pick some up. I've googled kefir groups and found some via yahoo, facebook and some databases based on location.

I didn't know you could culture from the store stuff!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #967
Junior LCF Member

Apparently my milk kefir grains love pasteurized milk and are having issues with raw. Yesterday's batch was a 12/12. Where the pasteurized was thick and creamy, the raw was runny. A one day 2F in the fridge thickened it up slightly.

So today's batch was 24 hours on the counter. The fat rose, the rest separated with curds on the bottom, whey in the middle. Better. Will see what a one day 2F gives me. Not giving up!

I'm assuming that all the helpful bacteria in raw milk is making it harder for the grains to propagate? Does anyone have any insight? I love my raw milk and only used pasteurized because I couldn't get the raw milk for a few weeks.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #968
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teazel View Post
Apparently my milk kefir grains love pasteurized milk and are having issues with raw. Yesterday's batch was a 12/12. Where the pasteurized was thick and creamy, the raw was runny. A one day 2F in the fridge thickened it up slightly.

So today's batch was 24 hours on the counter. The fat rose, the rest separated with curds on the bottom, whey in the middle. Better. Will see what a one day 2F gives me. Not giving up!

I'm assuming that all the helpful bacteria in raw milk is making it harder for the grains to propagate? Does anyone have any insight? I love my raw milk and only used pasteurized because I couldn't get the raw milk for a few weeks.
I'm wondering the same thing. If I could get raw milk and make it safe with the kefir grains, I would probably switch to raw. But I don't know if kefir will actually make it safe. I know I would feel better using kefir than fresh raw.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #969
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. If I could get raw milk and make it safe with the kefir grains, I would probably switch to raw. But I don't know if kefir will actually make it safe. I know I would feel better using kefir than fresh raw.
Raw milk from a farmer is safe. My farmer tests weekly and there are no issues. I drink it raw, but really want to kefir it for the probiotics.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #970
Junior LCF Member

Right now I think I'm the only one still following this thread. Oh well. Still going to post this for posterity's sake for any people like me who found this.

I'm about 2 weeks into really good raw milk kefir. I'm making about a pint (2 cups a day). I finally got it to thicken up reliably.

Right now, I'm using about 2 (heaping) tablespoons of kefir grains, which sit in 2 cups of milk on the counter for 24 hours. I shake the bottle to mix everything up, strain it and its pretty thick and creamy then.

After that I set up a 2F with other things. So far I've used blackberries and peaches, bee pollen and ginger. It's a two day 2F in the refrigerator. So its pretty thick and bubbly. When I'm ready to drink, I pour it into a magic bullet glass and use the magic bullet to mix whatever is in the 2F up and froth it up a bit. It's really good, definitely like milk soda.

Today's kefir is a combination of ginger (I peeled a knob and threw it into the 2F) along with a teaspoon of bee pollen. Slightly sweet and really gingery, which is waking up my mouth.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #971
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Teazel, I follow the thread, but have nothing new to report! I still haven't made the cream kefir yet, no time and no use at the moment. I just make the regular stuff!

Your kefir with ginger sounds very nice!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #972
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Teazel, I follow the thread, but have nothing new to report! I still haven't made the cream kefir yet, no time and no use at the moment. I just make the regular stuff!

Your kefir with ginger sounds very nice!
Yeah, same here. I had my kefir out for a couple of days and it separated entirely. Whey on the top, water on the bottom. I thought my grains were goners, but no. I put it in the fridge for a few hours and then pulled it out, mixed it up and strained out the grains. It seemed like the grains more than quadrupled. Either that, or it's just milk solids that didn't mix in.

At any rate, the kefir is fine after being out two days.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #973

I made the cream kefir, but don't know what to do with it. I've been away from home for a week, so haven't had a chance to play with it.

I've tried 2F with fruit, but it always seems to break down and get more liquidy instead of keeping it's thickness and it eats up all the sweetness of my fruit! I haven't tried ginger though, that sounds good.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #974
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
just in case

Just in case someone is interested in getting this started again..
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #975
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Just in case someone is interested in getting this started again..

Hi Faith! I'm back to using the store bought kefir because about now is the time the goats drop their foals and the milk isn't good for human consumption anyway. I still have goat milk from last week, but it will run out soon. But, I have the grains ready to go again when it becomes available.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #976

I'm glad you restarted the thread. I was going to but I was sick. I wasn't home either so I couldn't drink any of my wonderful kefir to help. My mom's kefir was sitting in thick glop in the back of the fridge. I told her to refresh it with fresh milk. They should revive after a couple of feedings.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #977
Major LCF Poster!

I would have added some fresh milk shook it strained it and drank what was there. Are you feeling better yet?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #978

Finally over the cough. going 48 hours with no antitissive ( cough medicine) and so far no cough for more than one or two.

getting my energy back and ready to restart some kefir.

I have a question, to folks here, and I don't know if I should start a new thread about it, so I'll start here and see if anyone has an opinion or info.

Do You think Whole Milk kefir has a place in a ketogenic diet?

Many ketogenic diets have very strict carbohydrate limits, Some limit it to a number, some limit fruits and vegetables altogether but allow some high fat dairy such as cheese, butter and cream, and some say eat only meat and eggs and pure oils like butter and olive oil.

I ask here first, because I'm curious about the way I make my kefir : super strong, whey poured off, 2F to death till it turns gluey and tart.

I think it qualifies as a high fat dairy, though when I drink it I add berries and sweetener most of the time, but I also enjoy it plain like a tart tonic so I can enjoy it unsweetened. I don't know the carb counts the way I make it, but it's gotta be low without the whey and with the long fermentation.

If a person is eating cheese on a Ketogenic style plan it seems that kefir would also qualify as a fermented, low sugar, high fat dairy.

What is your opinion and why?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #979
Major LCF Poster!

My head is racing for memory. Somewhere u remember a formula for carbs in MK buy can't find it in the rusty files or if it was for MK and not some other culture

Straining off whey leaves you with whole milk solids. They have the protein in them. If I remember right like one carb or less per ounce
Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #980
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I have a question, to folks here, and I don't know if I should start a new thread about it, so I'll start here and see if anyone has an opinion or info.

Do You think Whole Milk kefir has a place in a ketogenic diet?

Many ketogenic diets have very strict carbohydrate limits, Some limit it to a number, some limit fruits and vegetables altogether but allow some high fat dairy such as cheese, butter and cream, and some say eat only meat and eggs and pure oils like butter and olive oil.

I ask here first, because I'm curious about the way I make my kefir : super strong, whey poured off, 2F to death till it turns gluey and tart.

I think it qualifies as a high fat dairy, though when I drink it I add berries and sweetener most of the time, but I also enjoy it plain like a tart tonic so I can enjoy it unsweetened. I don't know the carb counts the way I make it, but it's gotta be low without the whey and with the long fermentation.

If a person is eating cheese on a Ketogenic style plan it seems that kefir would also qualify as a fermented, low sugar, high fat dairy.

What is your opinion and why?
I don't think you can equate cheese and kefir. Most cheese (except for ricotta, cottage cheese and the like) have the whey completely removed in the cheese-making process. Kefir includes the whey. The whey is where the carbs are. Now, it sounds like you are making kefir differently than most people. I don't understand how you would pour of the whey. Do you let it sit for a very long time until is separates? If you are doing that then, yes, I think you are removing the carbs and it would be ok. But I don't know if you can still call that kefir. And it wouldn't be palatable to me at all, so it wouldn't be something I would do. But most commerical or homemade kefir is not suitable for people on very low carb diets in large quantities. Now ,I am sure someone could make it fit into their plan if they really wanted to, but it's not for me on a regular basis.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #981

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
My head is racing for memory. Somewhere u remember a formula for carbs in MK buy can't find it in the rusty files or if it was for MK and not some other culture

Straining off whey leaves you with whole milk solids. They have the protein in them. If I remember right like one carb or less per ounce
Maybe it's somewhere earlier in the thread. I'll have to read through again to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I don't think you can equate cheese and kefir. Most cheese (except for ricotta, cottage cheese and the like) have the whey completely removed in the cheese-making process. Kefir includes the whey. The whey is where the carbs are. Now, it sounds like you are making kefir differently than most people. I don't understand how you would pour of the whey. Do you let it sit for a very long time until is separates? If you are doing that then, yes, I think you are removing the carbs and it would be ok. But I don't know if you can still call that kefir. And it wouldn't be palatable to me at all, so it wouldn't be something I would do. But most commerical or homemade kefir is not suitable for people on very low carb diets in large quantities. Now ,I am sure someone could make it fit into their plan if they really wanted to, but it's not for me on a regular basis.
My grains are super strong and it does cause the curds and whey to separate. Rather than stir it back in, I pour off the majority of the clear yellow fluid, then stir up what's left and leave the grains in. and I 2F in the fridge so It does sit around long enough to completely separate the solids from the whey while not getting as sour as if I had left it out in room temp. I'm sure it is still "kefir" but I just call it awesome! . My kefir is super thick and almost half the volume from the lost whey, and it makes a great thick smoothie with no added thickner or a tart thick tonic.

I don't add sugar to it like commerical brands, (20g per serving) but I do mix it with berries and lemon if I want a sweet treat or just drink the "cream" if I just want the plain kefir. I'd expect that normal 24 hour kefir would have as many carbs as yogurt so the same rules would apply for quantity, but people dont' 2F yogurt, but we do with Kefir.

how often do you have kefir and how do you count it?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #982
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa at what point do you remove your grains.

I still do most if my kefiring in the fridge long term sometime by the gallons them 2F in the fridge. But I do like my kefir at room temp better than cold.

Did I ever send you Estonia grains?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #983

Yeah, the estonia grains are smoooooooth tasting. I think my kefir is too strong for my BF so I should let him try the Estonia kefir since it's milder tasting at the same amount of fermentation time than the orginal ones you sent me long ago.

I remove the majority of the grains after about 48 hours, but I leave a few grains in the bottom of the ones I put in the back of the fridge for my SUPER3F.

It started by accident, I made a bunch of kefir but didn't drink it and it kept getting stronger, then when I got fresh milk I starte several new jars, but by the time I drank my older strong kefir, the fresher kefir had been in the fridge a long time and got stronger, so I just keep doing it that way now.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #984
Major LCF Poster!

I strain mine when I see it start to separate, then it can be in the fridge for a month maybe longer before I drink it. I have to leave a jar on the counter to warm up, seems like I wont drink it if it is cold

I culture the Estonia & CM/USA grains separately but mix them when I strain it... gives me the tang & fizz with more thickness. I have gotten past the point of really caring how it tastes cause I just drink it for health.. I know that is bad of me
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #985
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
Hi there! I've been making monarchs for awhile now, but I just got me some WKG. SIPPING on my first batch now. Still seems sweet after 3 days, but my grains more than doubled so I know something's going right. Maybe I should do the second ferment.
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #986
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
Monarchs haha auto correct. Kombucha!!!
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #987

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisergirl View Post
Monarchs haha auto correct. Kombucha!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #988
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
I have not had ANY luck with making raw milk keifer. Mine would get a thick 1/4 in layer on it and the rest would be regular milk even after 48 hours. It smelled awful and my grains never multiplied. I ordered new grains and will be using pasteurized milk (yuck, we ONLY drink raw milk here) I'm so disappointed!! I bought plain keifer from the store in the mean time , but i REALLY want to be able to make my own!!!
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #989
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Hey, I gave up on this thread when it went quiet, glad to see it going again. My thought is that if you let the kefir ferment well (pretty sour) there's very little milk sugar left. I don't have any concern if the whey separates, that's how I know it's fermenting. I just stir it back in before straining.

I have a continuous brewer for kombucha going, too. My husband is a winemaker so I got him to test my kombucha for sugar. My primary fermentation of kombucha comes in at 3.5% sugar, which is high. But when I do a secondary fermentation (with dried cherries) and let it ferment 6 days, the sugar is only 0.5%. I don't know if the same would work for a secondary ferment of kefir.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote