Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #841
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: macslayer
Hello There is this porcupine the kifer guru from the u.s lol (i think it could stick) My Name is Glen I am 33 single dad from Englang uk. Had to sign up to say thank what a post you have. I ordered both water and milk kefir from ebay sunday and have been doing my research and wow these guys are awesome my head is filled with so much and so many questions but im only up to page 8 so i wont ask any yet iv asked the person i purchased the grains from if they have any information on them if they are tibetan or not and am awaiting to hear i hope they are.
not sure how you did on researching these I would love to know more about there origins as i belive mana is milk of the gods wow
Thank you so Much again
Kindest regards
Glen
macslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #842
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Glen we are glad to have you with us. It is said all kefir grains come from the Caucus mountains. Dunno ! Hope your grains arrive alive & healthy. I have sent cultures to Ireland & Canada & they continue to culture & spread their well being. After you get 26 posts/ 30 days you can get private messages heere. Tou may want to directly contact Porcupine73 as he has gotten kefiring down to a fine science for long ferments. I make mine by the gallon in the fridge for about a week then strain & place in smaller jars for another week to e@ days in rotation til I drink them. Each of us have found the way we like it for our own personal taste. That is the nice about kefir.

I was going to tell everyone I just got a jar from my ferment fridge & it was separating so I stirred it. I turned my back on it long enough for it to rise 2" in the jar & start to overflow. Talk about ferment & bubbles/fizz!!! AWESOME! I my kefir!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #843
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all

Hello Iam
Thank you for replying to me just got through 29 pages to find your reply at the end what a nice surprise and such a lovely friendly people you all are 29 pages went with ease .i an so looking forward to these turning up i know im gonna love them (i ordered both water and milk kefir)
thank you to all who have posted the information you have shared should have me and my daughter healthy for years to come and you have my utmost appreciation
thank you all
Kindest reagards
Glen
milton keynes England U.k
Old 09-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #844
Junior LCF Member

tibetan or normal

Hello Glen,

When i got my milk grains many years ago i was told they were Tibetan grains and the popular history is that all kefir grains 'descended' from the region of the caucasian mountains, through Russia to the rest of the world. In other words, there are no other types of kefir grains.

If the grains look different from country to country it would be because of climate, type of milk used and generally how the grains were handled.

I see you're searching for more information and i can share what i know about the true origins of kefir grains, but do you really want to know:-)?

name taken away

PS: Have you read that there's such a thing as normal vs tibetan grains? What's the argument given?
any help any one ?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #845
Major LCF Poster!

Porcupine last year got some grains from a lady that migrated here from Russia & brought grains with her. He sent me some after his XX-ed and after a while I combined them with my grains - it has been almost a year & they produce wonderful kefir...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #846
Junior LCF Member

yay

Thanks for getting back to me so quick iam mine arrived today lots of water ones nearly three tablespoons not so much milk ones about a tablespoon or just under pettit pois size and smaller so i put the milk ones in to a litre of 4% milk (normal shop bought) and the water one teaspoon in a bottle of bottled water from shop put in pint glass left out over night to be safe and two teaspoon light brown raw unrefined can sugar in a pint glass with third left spare then i put two table spoons in boilled left out over night tap water (room temp) and four tablespoons of the same sugar (and a teaspoon in fridge for dad in little sugar water )
iv left them at room temp mine is 82 is this to hot as i dont want to kill my new friends
when took milk ones out of packaging they came in a lovelly thick kefir yogurt that i was left with about a teaspoon left after taking out grains BAM streight in my gob it was SO good i new i would love it
Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #847
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Water kefir question here: I tried kombucha and didn't like it--too vinegary for me. I love my milk kefir (and it's going like gangbusters) BUT it doesn't love me. I think I am lactose intolerant and I have reflux after drinking kefir, even though it's fermented at least 24 hours and most of the lactose should be broken down at that point.

So I was wondering about water kefir. How does it taste? Is it vinegary like kombucha? Is it very sour? I like the sour taste of kefired milk, but not so much other soured things. I also have a geographic tongue which starts to hurt when I've eaten/drunk too much acidic food.

My other thought is to try some kefir with lactose free milk. Has anyone tried that?

I have used my kefir to ferment coconut milk successfully, but I was not that excited about the flavor.

I want to add probiotics, but it's not that easy, I'm finding.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #848
Major LCF Poster!

Jan, WK is not acdic It has an interesting taste dependng on the sugar you use. Most ppl use white but I use succant or demarara & even regular nrown sugar. You can put slices of ginger directly into the 1F on water kefir or even raisins but all other fruits/flavoring should be done on the 2F. It is on the 2F you can get good carbonation, I put it into plastic pop bottles & when the bottle gets tight you have good carbonation. DO NOT USE PLASTIC BOTTLES ON KOMBUCHA ONLY WATER KEFIR as kombucha will leach chemicals from the bottlee, kefir or ginger beer does not. Ginger beer/bug = GB & I'd another good way to get ferments & ginger is so good for the tully.

As for lactose free milk, MKG need the sugar in the milk (lactose) so you could try Almond or the vanilla flavored almond if you didn't care for the coconut. You might try a small amount of lactose free if you have a small amount of grains to spare & please let us know if you do how it turns out.

Mac, sounds like you are off to a great start. You don't need a lot of MKG to kefir a quart (ltr) of milk. 1T or a couple large ones will work fine. 80 is a tad warm for kefir so it could ferment faster. Watch for separation & maybe stir occasionally REMEMBER NO METAL ON WKG OR MKG UNLESS IT IS STAINLESS as it will harm the grains in the long run. Kefir grains line 68-75 & will kefir in thee fridge over a long period of time.

Jan, you can add other ferments by using sourkraut (homestyle even with fruit in it) or kimchee or be lacto fermentng vegies with the whey from your kefir or yogurt.

I am using my phone so I hope this comes across well. Will be on the computer in the morning so if I haven't answered your concerns well % will try to do so then. Hugs!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-06-2012 at 01:20 AM..
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #849
Major LCF Poster!

Mac, since your grains traveled across the pond give them a few cycles to adjust. I usually tell friends to put them directly into the fridge for a few days in their culturing medium to give them a rest from their journey. Higs!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-06-2012 at 01:25 AM..
Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #850
Junior LCF Member

Hi iam thank you again for your quick reply mine came from a lady 50 miles away they were posted and arrived next day. The milk kefir was still runny today so i streined and put in just enough milk to cover and half inch on top and have left that to see if i have any luck fingers crossed. What can i add to my milk kefir to make them more happy if money were no object and i wished to treat them like royalty like a spoon of cream in with the milk iv heard white egg shells or coral calcium as mine look a little small and could do with some loving i think.
my water ones looked a little different in color a little less sweet so strained juiced 3 pears half water melon small slice ginger in to e three liter plastic pop bottle added me kefir juice and put in cupboard cant wait.
with my wk i went shopping today so i got some molasses and ginger as i hear they like that so i used my left out boiled water and molasses ans a slice of ginger back in the glass fermenter jar roll on tomorrow.
Hugs to all
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #851
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Maid of Erin
Stats: Ginormous/Ridunkulous/Awesomesauce
WOE: Whole Food Atkins
Start Date: April 2006
Mac, raw rugar, molasses, etc all stain WKG. No harm, they just look beige. Don't use honey with WKG, if you didn't already know that.

Jan,

Have you tried fermenting kombucha for less time? If the weather is hot it might not take as long.
Maid of Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #852
Major LCF Poster!

WK takes a 24 hour ferment... I dont like the sounds of your MKG.... Just use the whole milk & put them in the fridge for 24-48 hours... Sounds like they need a rest... If that doesnt work... I can connect you to someone closer than I that has recieved my grains in the past & may have some to share. Get with me on FB if you need that kind of help.

WK will be different... it is sometimes still sweet after 48 hours & that is ok. Sometimes I give them brown sugar & they love that.... Eggshells Or coral calcium you would not use for MKG but occasionally for WKG if they are not XXing (multiplying)

You can successfully use ginger, rasins & molasses to flavor on the 1F (1st ferment) along with the WKG but dont use any other flavorings until the 2F when you have removed the WKG.

REMEMBER NO METAL UNLESS IT IS STAINLESS ON EITHER MKG OR WKG. Occasional contact will not necessarily harm them, but will with continued use.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #853
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
As for lactose free milk, MKG need the sugar in the milk (lactose) so you could try Almond or the vanilla flavored almond if you didn't care for the coconut
Actually, lactose free milk still has plenty of sugar. The enzyme, lactase, simply breaks the lactose into its two component sugars, Glucose and galactose. That's why lactose free milk tastes sweeter than regular milk--your tongue can taste the glucose more easily than the lactose. The question is whether the kefir grains will be happy "eating" the glucose and galactose. I'm guessing they will, they do fine in coconut milk which surely doesn't have lactose.

I do have plenty of extra grains and lactose free milk for DD#1, who is lactose intolerant, so I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try this weekend.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #854
Major LCF Poster!

It is suggested when kefiring in nut milks including coconut to occasionally put them in animal milk for a few cycles.

Please let me know how the lactose free milk works out. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #855

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I put my grains away in some milk about a month ago while I moved house. I just pulled the jar out and It looked very curdled and lumpy with a lot of whey in it. I thought maybe I picked up the wrong jar and maybe some of the finished kefir had gone to cheese, but NOPE.

The grains ate up all the milk solids. All of them, it was sitting in a crystal clear thick viscous whey, not milky colored at all, it was nothing but grains and whey. These buggers are HUNGRY! and they grew too!

I just split them and fed them some fresh milk, but WOW.

My finished kefir from before the move is very strong and citrusy and I think I'll be making a lemon blueberry smoothie with it cause it's too thick to drink.

i grinned like a fool while stirring my grains. I really like kefir, and I forget how much I like it when I haven't had it, but as soon as I stir it, I get giddy goofy faced anticipating that lovely tarty tangy dairy!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #856
Major LCF Poster!

I look forward to mine every day! I might slow in drinking KT but the kefir is close to a quart a day. I do all my kefiring in the fridge now & have a gallon culturing non stop with about 14 wuart jars waiting in rotation. Somedays when I stir it up (my whey goes to the top) it bubbles so much it rises & bubbles out of the jar so I have to watch it
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #857
Major LCF Poster!

TTFN

TTFN
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #858
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
EEK! I ran out of goat milk and mixed the last of it with cow milk and added grains this morning. Now it separated.

Any ideas on how to eat the whey? I guess it will be more difficult to sift out the grains.
terez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #859
Major LCF Poster!

Give it a good stir and strain...you will have to move your grains back & forth in the strainer with a plastic spoon but it will work...may have to pour the whey over it several times to get it to release.

You can then let it sit in a cloth/strainer in the fridge & let the whey drain out & make a soft cheese with it...

Whey is good for lacto fermenting vegies/fruits
Look up Lacto fermenting & you should find a lot of ideas

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-13-2012 at 06:18 AM..
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #860
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Yes I've tried sauerkraut, radishes, beet kvass, and homemade mustard all fermented with the whey from milk kefir, and they come out great. I think the extra organisms vs. plain whey really helps out the ferment.

Dom's site says he has noticed that if switching MKG between different types of milk such as goat and cow, that it takes them a while to adjust.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #861
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks! I got some refrigerated sauerkraut and it is just nasty. So, I guess I'll have to make my own. Whey cheese? Sounds awesome.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #862
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Yes I don't know what they do to supermarket sauerkraut but it tastes dull and lifeless compared to the real thing. Most of it in the store is pasteurized, and some of them I wonder if they really ever ferment them at all, or just use vinegar or other tricks to prepare it. Sometimes I see Hawthorne Valley lactofermented veggies at the local health food store, those are usually excellent, but they're like $8+ for what I think is maybe a pint size jar.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #863
Major LCF Poster!

Sweetie, you dont make the cheese with the whey, drain/strain the whey out of that kefir & the longer you let it set to drain the thicker the cheese becomes. The cheese is the curds....
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #864
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What can I say, you guys are all light years ahead of me.

I guess I'll find recipes for all this neat stuff. The mustard sounds really interesting. I have a friend who makes and eats fermented catsup.

And yeah, I guess I'll have to clear off a counter for all the mad scientist stuff.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #865
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now, I drank some of the "kefir" that I made yesterday. It separated after only about 8 hours and today it tasted curdled, not like kefir. I took the grains out and noticed there weren't that many more than there were.

Should I put the grains back in and let it turn, or have I done all I can do? I don't know if it's even kefir at this point. It didn't taste like it.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #866
Major LCF Poster!

Have a few questions...
Where did you get your grains? Were they dehydrated or fresh?
How long have you had them?
Where in the world are you.... eg USA or UK?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #867
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got my grains from a friend and they were fresh and I'm in the USA. I've had them a couple of weeks.

The milk curdled and I tossed it. But I'd like to know for next time.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #868

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
I look forward to mine every day! I might slow in drinking KT but the kefir is close to a quart a day. I do all my kefiring in the fridge now & have a gallon culturing non stop with about 14 wuart jars waiting in rotation. Somedays when I stir it up (my whey goes to the top) it bubbles so much it rises & bubbles out of the jar so I have to watch it
That is interesting. I have noticed that I have the most grown from the cultures I "neglected" in the fridge. They seem to culture slower, but grow more, and the kefir seems smoother yet still retains the tang and more of the bubbles I enjoy, I guess the cold keeps the carbonation in.

I think, Once I've gotten settled in a bit more, I might look into fridge culturing, depending on how much I'll be drinking in the future.

I've had my first cup of kefir in my new place! What a way to break in the new home to culturing, with a nice blueberry lime kefir smoothie!
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds awesome Metqa! I think I'm going to stick with the boat milk kefir. I really love it.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #870

Gallery: Maid of Erin
Stats: Ginormous/Ridunkulous/Awesomesauce
WOE: Whole Food Atkins
Start Date: April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Yes I don't know what they do to supermarket sauerkraut but it tastes dull and lifeless compared to the real thing. Most of it in the store is pasteurized, and some of them I wonder if they really ever ferment them at all, or just use vinegar or other tricks to prepare it. Sometimes I see Hawthorne Valley lactofermented veggies at the local health food store, those are usually excellent, but they're like $8+ for what I think is maybe a pint size jar.
i agree and I think I need to try making homemade. The last sauerkraut I had wasn't even tangy. Tasted like cabbage with a little vinegar.
Maid of Erin is offline   Reply With Quote