Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #811
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Hi Faithful! Right on pets like people are sensitive to the quality of food in their diets.

Wow 2 gallons of goat milk per day, that is one busy goat! I have been thinking about goats actually. I remember you said you used to have some goats. My nephew has a bunch of goats, though he doesn't drink the milk. I was surprised how friendly and cute they were.

That's great you're sharing your spare MKG. Wow it does sound like you have a lot! I gave some grains to my milk supplier. Previously she had been using commercial starter, which I told her is not the same as real grains.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #812
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Her goat is a Nubian & they are known for milk production. She is getting a small herd together, just started this year. Her one goat that is her 1st for milking just had twins a few weeks ago... she said the milk is more mild that cow milk... if you get goats for milking make sure you get some bred for that purpose with "good udders" what ever that is...I just listen to her tell me all about it... but knowing you...you will research anything well before you become a goat keeper....
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
My grains have multiplied so much I had to divide them up, so I decided to try coconut kefir. I started my batch of coconut kefir the same time as my milk kefir last night, but by this morning the coconut kefir was probably "done"--I always let my milk kefir go 24 hours.

I didn't have time to strain the coconut kefir this morning, so I just let it continue, and tonight it was very separated (is that whey?) and quite sour. Too sour for me--I think it was perfect this morning. I'm amazed at how quickly the coconut fermented.

I returned them to milk and prepared a jar for DH to take to his coworker who really liked the batch of kefir I sent to work with DH last week. These kefir grains are really strong. Next step is going to be trying to ferment in the fridge to slow production down. DH isn't managing to keep up with my cup per day production.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #814
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi guys, i've been considering making my own fermented drinks for a while now.
I have a quick question about carbs in water kefir...after the bacteria is done feasting on the sugar, what do you estimate would be the carb content of 8 oz of water kefir?

Would love to try it, but need to keep to pretty strict LC and stay below 30 carbs per day.

Thanks so much!
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #815
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Hi guys, i've been considering making my own fermented drinks for a while now.
I have a quick question about carbs in water kefir...after the bacteria is done feasting on the sugar, what do you estimate would be the carb content of 8 oz of water kefir?

Would love to try it, but need to keep to pretty strict LC and stay below 30 carbs per day.

Thanks so much!
I dont know about water kefir...
However, I did read an article on milk kefir
It said to subtract one carb for each ounce you drink from the original carb count....
For example if milk has 10 carbs for an 8oz glass then the MK would be 10-8=2 carbs.... perhaps you can use the same formula for water kefir.

Do you have grains?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #816

Thanks, faithful! I'm buying some from amazon, seller has great ratings, I even emailed them to ask if they think the grains will survive the brutally hot weather during transportation.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #817
Major LCF Poster!

OK.... some of us on FB have healthy grains we send for postage.
& yes they will make it if they send Priority mail & it DOES NOT sit in a hot mailbox.
I have sent/recieved several sets of MKG & WKG & sometimes the box is bulging from fermentation.
If that happend... plunge them immediately into a COLD medium [you dont need more than a quart of liquid for this] (sweet water or milk depending on the grains) & let them stay in the fridge for about 24-36 hours. Then discard the medium & culture as normal. This gives the grains a rest & will give you a better first ferment.
Good luck! Happy kefiring!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 07-30-2012 at 05:37 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #818
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I got grains in the mail from an eBay supplier. Despite hot weather, they were cool in the package--perhaps frozen before mailing? They were sluggish the first batch and then whammo--very busy grains. They've already doubled twice. Help!!!!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I got grains in the mail from an eBay supplier. Despite hot weather, they were cool in the package--perhaps frozen before mailing? They were sluggish the first batch and then whammo--very busy grains. They've already doubled twice. Help!!!!
Well, this particular seller also sells dehydrated, which may survive the trip better. But it takes 2 weeks to revive and rehydrate them, which may not be so great for a first timer like me to try and do.

On another note, I finally ignored my DH's scary stories and bought some unpasturized naturally fermented KimChi from one of my local grocery stores. I need to up my intake of fermented foods. I gingerly opened the jar expecting an explosion of stench (as DH had told me there would be), but there was no bad smell and the juice was nice and bubbly, you can tell fermentation is going on..... My grandparents used to ferment their own cabbage for sauerkraut, and it reminded me of that. I am relieved! I can finally have beneficial fermented foods.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #820
Major LCF Poster!

Oh yes sauerkraut or kimchi is wonderful. It's not too difficult to make yourself too. You can use the whey from kefir as an innoculant. Sandor Katz has a new book out "The Art of Fermentation", it is very detailed and good. I picked up a couple of the 10 litre Harsch fermenting crocks, those work great. Every month or so each one makes a good six quarts of kraut.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

Still at it I see, Porcupine! Glad to see it! You are such a wonderful fella! Tell mom I said hi!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #822

Gallery: Maid of Erin
Stats: Ginormous/Ridunkulous/Awesomesauce
WOE: Whole Food Atkins
Start Date: April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Well, this particular seller also sells dehydrated, which may survive the trip better. But it takes 2 weeks to revive and rehydrate them, which may not be so great for a first timer like me to try and do.

On another note, I finally ignored my DH's scary stories and bought some unpasturized naturally fermented KimChi from one of my local grocery stores. I need to up my intake of fermented foods. I gingerly opened the jar expecting an explosion of stench (as DH had told me there would be), but there was no bad smell and the juice was nice and bubbly, you can tell fermentation is going on..... My grandparents used to ferment their own cabbage for sauerkraut, and it reminded me of that. I am relieved! I can finally have beneficial fermented foods.
Eliza, I felt the same way trying kefir. Like I was going to poison myself or contact botulism. People have forgotten the old ways. I have abused my body most of my life feeding it garbage foods full of trans fats, artificial colours, preservatives, etc and yet I was scared of a little ubiquitous bactera in my food.

I am a believer now. I used to get every cold I came in contact with. I couldn't tell you when I had a cold last. Coincidence maybe but I don't think so.
Maid of Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #823
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maid of Erin View Post
Eliza, I felt the same way trying kefir. Like I was going to poison myself or contact botulism. People have forgotten the old ways. I have abused my body most of my life feeding it garbage foods full of trans fats, artificial colours, preservatives, etc and yet I was scared of a little ubiquitous bactera in my food.

I am a believer now. I used to get every cold I came in contact with. I couldn't tell you when I had a cold last. Coincidence maybe but I don't think so.
Cindy, you got that right... no Coincidence just good micro-organisms working for you not against you! Hugs from the USA!

BTW I am looking for a good recipe for raw spinach dip that does not use package soup for a mix. Can anyone help. My plan is to use Chobani Greek Yogurt for the base with the chopped spinach... I might drain some milk kefir til it is thick and try that as well.... looking to make it a high protein to eat with vegies that is why the Greek Yogurt thought. I made some with the Knorr mix but then saw it had MSG in it... cant do that so when it is gone it will not reappear. HELP!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-03-2012 at 02:50 PM..
Old 08-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #824

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I go through waves of worrying about poisoning myself and loving the heck out of it and drinking it as my entire days meals.

I hate when I get too busy to watch it and have to stash it for a bit, then I have to work myself up to drink this "stuff" again, but as soon as I taste it again I'm hooked again!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #825
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I go through waves of worrying about poisoning myself and loving the heck out of it and drinking it as my entire days meals.

I hate when I get too busy to watch it and have to stash it for a bit, then I have to work myself up to drink this "stuff" again, but as soon as I taste it again I'm hooked again!
You are so funny! I keep fermenting & never look back. My health is so improved I would hate to think of going in reverse.

BTW I recently read that a steady use of milk kefir daily will reduce high blood pressure!!! I guess that is why I no longer need to take the Rx for that
Old 08-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #826

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Well, If I could get my sister and mom to drink it, regularly , that would be great for them, both have high BP. My BP has been suspiciously normal to low all my life, but I have a wickedly high resting heart rate ( can you say "squirrel girl"?)
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #827
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa are you getting ready for school to start?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #828

Quick question for Faithful-my Kombucha coming out fine but the last scoby was sort of thin looking. It was brewing for 12 days. I think maybe I didn't save enough starter tea for the batch. I can use the old scoby (or both of them) to brew the next batch but do I need to add some white vinegar or something? Don't want to ruin my KT!

I also wanted to ask how you use the scoby for healing? My DH wants to try it on one of our horses. How long do you leave it on for? Do you change it to a new one after a few days?

Another interesting item, I went to a seminar on autism and they were discussing diets. Many children seem to respond to gluten and dairy free diets but the speaker was discussing the benefits of probiotic and fermented foods for these children. He recommended water kefir and KT! Who knew?
Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #829
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=Maid of Erin;15848757]Quick question for Faithful-my Kombucha coming out fine but the last scoby was sort of thin looking. It was brewing for 12 days. I think maybe I didn't save enough starter tea for the batch. I can use the old scoby (or both of them) to brew the next batch but do I need to add some white vinegar or something? Don't want to ruin my KT!

I also wanted to ask how you use the scoby for healing? My DH wants to try it on one of our horses. How long do you leave it on for? Do you change it to a new one after a few days?

Another interesting item, I went to a seminar on autism and they were discussing diets. Many children seem to respond to gluten and dairy free diets but the speaker was discussing the benefits of probiotic and fermented foods for these children. He recommended water kefir and KT! Who knew?[/QUOTE]

I knew but just for the past year!

Sometimes a baby comes out thin... no biggie & yes you can put them both in a new batch. Just the starter is OK but you can use some white vinegar if you dont keep enough for starter...just not a good habit.

I put a SCOBY on (cut to size) with a bandaid. About every 12 hours it seems to dry on me so I change it. I dont know how you would hold it on a horse but give it a try. You dont need to change it unless it dries & sometimes when it does dry it adhears to a wound like a scab does... if that is the case (especially on a horse I am thinking) I just leave it on like a scab and wait for it to come off naturally. It is like a second layer of skin.

I have a skin/flesh problem in an area that would be very difficult to bandage. I have struggled with this for almost 2 months... I think I will get a new Rx hotel going ( just some SCOBYs in a jar separate from brewing SCOBYs so they are not contaminated) & every time I think about it, I will get a piece out and rub it on the area... when you do something like this you can keep a moist piece to reuse in a little KT to keep it moist in a baggie or little container by itself. Discard after the affected area improves

Hope this helps.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-04-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Old 08-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #830

so do you keep the scobys under KT liquid or just a little moist?

We would keep the scoby on the leg using vet wrap which is like a stretchy ace bandage that sticks to itself.

Gross to admit, but I think I might have fungus on my toenail. The nail has become thicker and yellowish. I have been soaking in epsom salts and drinking my MK. I had this before I began kefiring so I don't think it is related. I wonder if taping a scoby on it or soaking in kefir would help it?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #831

Sorry, just saw now tht you answered the scoby hotel in the other thread.

I am sure most of you already know this, but for any beginners like me, milk kefir is a fantastic buttermilk substitute. I made a gingerbread today and it came out better than my usual recipe. I have also used it in salad dressings, pancakes and soda bread. Cooking kills off the biotic benefits but still a great way to use up extra kefir.

Also, I saw a website where the blogger does a 12-24hr room kefir, strains out grains and does a second room culture to yield a smooth thick spoonable kefir. Looks like yogurt and she eats it for breakfast with berries. I don't know how she does it. Mine came out like cottage cheese chunks and was inedible!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #832
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds interesting! I would think soaking the toe in fairly well fermented (acidic) KT might help, usually molds and fungus don't like acidic environments too much. Then it could really soak in there and work at it. I have noticed that really acidic KT will turn fingernails slightly grey for a day or so, just mentioning it as a caution.

I like to second ferment my MK for about 3-4 days. If the temperature is just right it will get quite bubbly and not really separate too much. Most of the time it does separate though, and yes I get like a almost cottage cheese like product on the top, and delicious whey on the bottom. The whey from MK is perfect for starting ferments on just about anything else like vegetables, chutneys, etc.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #833
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
so do you keep the scobys under KT liquid or just a little moist?

We would keep the scoby on the leg using vet wrap which is like a stretchy ace bandage that sticks to itself.

Gross to admit, but I think I might have fungus on my toenail. The nail has become thicker and yellowish. I have been soaking in epsom salts and drinking my MK. I had this before I began kefiring so I don't think it is related. I wonder if taping a scoby on it or soaking in kefir would help it?
Yep wrap it on the leg & check it occasionally. You will want to replace it if it is dried out... Might be able to put the dry one back into the Rx Hotel for animals (keep a different one for people) so it can rehydrate & you can reapply.

Soaking your toe in KT would be great! & if you can tape a piece of SCOBY on the nail area with a bandaid. It might kill the fungus. Change it when it gets dry.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #834
Major LCF Poster!

I can't remember if I posted about it, but I got bit by a fly or something on my shoulder a few weeks ago. It actually hurt pretty bad, so I put some really acidic KT on it. Very quickly the pain subsided. I thought for sure it was going to swell up like bug bites often do. But nothing, later that day I couldn't even tell it was there, not red or anything.

Also, hm, this is a bit delicate ... but you know, summertime heat sometimes causes, um, skin irritation. Well I had tried a few prescription products and they really didn't help, and actually seemed to make it worse. Then I tried blotting on very acidic KT. Amazing. Immediate relief of symptoms for several hours and actually seemed to promote healing.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #835
Major LCF Poster!

Working on an irritation/problem like that right now. Wish I could get a bandage on the spot I would tabe a SCOBY on it. Seems like the skin has changed composition over the past month I have been fooling with it... then I thought about rubbing a SCOBY on it a couple times an hour. My clothes are getting a dark spot where the KT residue remains but I am getting a lot of relief... dont know if I waited too late to start the SCOBY treatment. I just found my nurse practioner on FB (she left the practice she was with) so if she answers me back I will get her opinion.

Last year I had a recluse spider bite... by the time I realized what it was it was large & sending off red runners like spider legs. I put a SCOBY ON IT & changed it every 12 hours... 4 days & it was well enough to remove the bandage...

But hey this is a kefir thread... those of you that are not doing Kombucha are missing out We overlap occasionally!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #836
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sorry, just saw now tht you answered the scoby hotel in the other thread.

I am sure most of you already know this, but for any beginners like me, milk kefir is a fantastic buttermilk substitute. I made a gingerbread today and it came out better than my usual recipe. I have also used it in salad dressings, pancakes and soda bread. Cooking kills off the biotic benefits but still a great way to use up extra kefir.

Also, I saw a website where the blogger does a 12-24hr room kefir, strains out grains and does a second room culture to yield a smooth thick spoonable kefir. Looks like yogurt and she eats it for breakfast with berries. I don't know how she does it. Mine came out like cottage cheese chunks and was inedible!
I thought about killing the bacteria when cooking & a long time fermenter told me most fermenters use ferments in their cooking because the texture of the cooked product is greatly improved. I use it in all my egg dishes especially scrambled eggs & get very light fluffy results. Works in pancakes terrifically!

Some of us only ferment in the fridge (me) others use a 12/12 and some never put their kefir in the fridge.... so many variations & so many ways to find what the fermenter likes. Fruit ferments on a 2F work real well but I like to puree the fruit & leave it for a long ferment in the fridge. Of course now I have a fridge just for ferments....most people are not that fortunate. I really am not fond of kefir that has been fermented on the counter... mine usually takes a week to ferment a gallon then has a 2F for up to 2 weeks in the fridge before I drink/use it. Yes, I have LOTS of jars in my fridge.... Hugs!

Let us know how the horse experiment works!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-05-2012 at 07:26 AM..
Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #837

That is funny that you don't ferment at room temp because I started doing long cold ferments a few weeks ago with great results after you mentioned it. Of course mine would like the fridge because they are the same culture as yours!! Doh!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #838
Major LCF Poster!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #839
Major LCF Poster!

I have about a half gallon of very active water kefir grains if you know anyone that wants some....
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #840
Major LCF Poster!

Milk Kefir & fresh pineapple

I juiced the core of a fresh pineapple along with all the "skin" I cut off & added some to some really thick milk kefir for a 2F. After a week in the fridge the kefir was wattery & bitter.... I think the enzymes in the pineapple started breaking down the kefir...WONT DO THAT AGAIN! But I drank it anyway...good thing it was just a pint!